Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've been reading back on Thread #2 since I believe I missed some pages. I did see a comment you made in Thread #2 Page 33 Post #649 where you stated "I’m unclear if YOU are asking where his backpack is?? If so It WAS found is his tent . One of the detectives confirmed that for me."

Can you verify that statement for us, since many of us are of the impression that it wasn't included in the inventory. Thanks.

per @SugarQueen, @Narkj, and @EllieGato, they received confirmation from CCSO about the backpack

When I asked about the backpack the detective had no issue with telling me it was found with him. She said it is shown inside the tent in the photos they took. I got the impression she thought it was simply an oversight that it wasn’t listed. Fwiw
FL - Big Cypress National Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" and "Mostly Harmless", 23 July 2018

I know there has been speculation, posts about his pack and that it wasn’t recovered but I asked Collier County specifically about the pack and they said they did recover it.
FL - Big Cypress National Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" and "Mostly Harmless", 23 July 2018 #2

Yes we did get confirmation quite a while back in thread 1 that the pack was recovered... we/I pressed SugarQueen to press CCSO for that info. We also know the pack weighed 50 pounds at one point. I'm wondering how much of that weight was the tent and the pack itself.
FL - Big Cypress National Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" and "Mostly Harmless", 23 July 2018 #2

I’m unclear if YOU are asking where his backpack is?? If so It WAS found is his tent . One of the detectives confirmed that for me.

I've just finished reading the entire thread, and just wanted to throw in my random two cents...

I'm very curious about the Lake George/Glens Falls information. Lake George is in the Adirondacks, in an area surrounded by mountains with a plethora of hiking opportunities ranging from easy paths to difficult mountain trails. I find it very odd that someone would choose to make their home in that area, but not do any hiking -- it would be like living in NYC and never seeing the Empire State Building. My point is, it's been assumed that MH was very inexperienced because he started out hiking the AT in jeans, so what on earth was he doing while he was in Lake George?

Lake George is a small town, and not really a pillar of industry. It could be conceivable for someone to live in the area and commute to Albany (it would be about a 1.5-hour commute one way.) Albany is the NYS capital, and not only are there plenty of opportunities for someone to work in the IT field, it's where most of upstate NY's IT is based -- OCFS, OTDA, DOH, Dept of Revenue, Motor Vehicles, etc.

The reason I bring that up is because MH allegedly said that he had worked in IT for about 10 years. He was found with a decent bankroll. It takes 10 years to become vested in the NYS Retirement System, and if employment is severed before that 10 years, the amount accrued in your NYS Retirement account is disbursed to you in full. I just thought it was an interesting correlation.

Another thought is, anytime you're traveling and tell someone from away that you're from NY, people automatically assume that you live in NYC. It can get tiring explaining over and over to people that you live in an area where there are cows and no cell service and the tallest building around is three stories, and I've been guilty more than once of just letting someone think NY=NYC because I didn't feel like making the effort. Perhaps MH just started saying he was from NYC/Brooklyn so he didn't have to keep repeating the same explanation over and over.

All MOO.

I'm very curious about the Lake George/Glens Falls information. Lake George is in the Adirondacks, in an area surrounded by mountains with a plethora of hiking opportunities ranging from easy paths to difficult mountain trails. I find it very odd that someone would choose to make their home in that area, but not do any hiking -- it would be like living in NYC and never seeing the Empire State Building. My point is, it's been assumed that MH was very inexperienced because he started out hiking the AT in jeans, so what on earth was he doing while he was in Lake George?

I wouldn't exclude the Lake George area because of this. Just anecdotal but I live in NYC. I can see the Empire State Building from my apartment but I never go there. Out of staters don't believe it when I have said that maybe I find myself in Times Square twice a year even though I could walk there. I lived out in the PNW for a while and hiked all the darn time. I knew locals that never ever did. Ever. It's always weird how that works.

A quick check in several popular job-find sites shows 25-50 software-related jobs in the Glens Falls area right now, and about the same number support jobs. So while it's not an IT hub like Albany, it appears there were probably a fair number of opportunities there.

I happened to get a notification on an old Collier County SO Facebook post today. I’m not sure how to link it, but it’s on their main FB, dated August 10, 2018. This particular comment was made 3 days ago. It mentions a possible encounter with the UID on the PNT along with a new name:

I believe he did the PNT 2017 or 16 and stayed a few days locally. Some of which was my yard. Sadly few real names are in my book. Just hiker names. Came in with Dirty rotten *advertiser censored*, honeysuckle and Mountain she goat. He shaved while here and the face with less hair looks like him. He signed Denim/Muck.

I’m surprised I noticed this as I rarely check my FB and it may mean nothing, but thought I’d post it here for anyone else who may not see the newer comments on FB.

I happened to get a notification on an old Collier County SO Facebook post today. I’m not sure how to link it, but it’s on their main FB, dated August 10, 2018. This particular comment was made 3 days ago. It mentions a possible encounter with the UID on the PNT along with a new name:

I believe he did the PNT 2017 or 16 and stayed a few days locally. Some of which was my yard. Sadly few real names are in my book. Just hiker names. Came in with Dirty rotten *advertiser censored*, honeysuckle and Mountain she goat. He shaved while here and the face with less hair looks like him. He signed Denim/Muck.

I’m surprised I noticed this as I rarely check my FB and it may mean nothing, but thought I’d post it here for anyone else who may not see the newer comments on FB.
Collier County Sheriff's Office

Interesting comment. I don't think it quite lines up with what we know about him, but I'm interested to see if "Muck" can be identified. If he came in 2017, it's almost certainly not our guy, since she lives in Washington and we know he was on the east coast at that time.

Exactly the same thing just happened to me and came here to post about the same comment!

Collier County Sheriff's Office

Interesting comment. I don't think it quite lines up with what we know about him, but I'm interested to see if "Muck" can be identified. If he came in 2017, it's almost certainly not our guy, since she lives in Washington and we know he was on the east coast at that time.
I agree with what you said about the timing (he most likely would have been on the trail between the months of July and September):
FAQ

You may want to interview her, @Narkj :).

I wouldn't exclude the Lake George area because of this. Just anecdotal but I live in NYC. I can see the Empire State Building from my apartment but I never go there. Out of staters don't believe it when I have said that maybe I find myself in Times Square twice a year even though I could walk there. I lived out in the PNW for a while and hiked all the darn time. I knew locals that never ever did. Ever. It's always weird how that works.

That is so true. I lived in Toronto for years and years before I went up the CN Tower. Visitors would be incredulous that I hadn't gone. You'd see it every day. It an iconic tourist trap.

I’m a mixing engineer by trade, I’ll have a crack at it tomorrow afternoon and share it if nobody else has by then.
I hope you're having better luck with your software. I was able to tone down the background noise, but trying to bring his voice to the forefront is frustrating. He is too far away from the mic and his voice distorts with any kind of amplification. It frustrates me for the fact that I am able to clean up telephone interviews with musicians so that it sounds like they're in the same room, so why is this so tough to get a clear clip of his voice!!!!

I hope you're having better luck with your software. I was able to tone down the background noise, but trying to bring his voice to the forefront is frustrating. He is too far away from the mic and his voice distorts with any kind of amplification. It frustrates me for the fact that I am able to clean up telephone interviews with musicians so that it sounds like they're in the same room, so why is this so tough to get a clear clip of his voice!!!!

Ran into the same thing. Lose the background noise lose him. Make him loud and background comes with it. I do believe he’s discussing his knee in the first couple seconds of video but other than that not much. I thought it was the freebie apps I was using to try to pull it out but maybe not.

Ran into the same thing. Lose the background noise lose him. Make him loud and background comes with it. I do believe he’s discussing his knee in the first couple seconds of video but other than that not much. I thought it was the freebie apps I was using to try to pull it out but maybe not.
Either way, but if we have enough ears on the full version, the @Tabirey version & the @Coffee56 version, maybe we could patch up a transcript? 40 ears are better than 2? Anyhoo, post away anyway if you want- doesn’t have to be perfect. Mo

IIRC, posters have spoken with Obsidian.

Anyone know how to contact Dirty Rotten *advertiser censored* (although I do have a candidate or two,) Honeysuckle, or Mountain She Goat???

JMHO YMMV

I have messaged a reddit user called mountainshegoat who posted over a year ago about hiking, bit of a long shot but its the only bit of info I could find online about any of the 3 people, the last reddit post from them was 4 months ago so they might not even see the message, they look to be from Idaho if that helps anyone.

Was wondering what the timeline for when he got his trail names is and if it was established who gave him them, if he got the name denim from the AT because he wore jeans then he wouldn't of already had the name on the PNT.
If denham/denim/muck is in fact him then that throws the timeline out a bit because he must of left the AT to do the PNT for a bit (very unlikely though) :confused:
If it is really him and he did sign the guestbook on the PNT as Denham that could be a big clue to his real name & Denim could just be a variation that he chose himself. (are there early photos where he is seen wearing jeans ?)
Is september 2017 in daleville the earliest confirmed case of him anywhere then ?
What i also find strange is if he started in New York did he travel down to Georgia somehow and then start hiking NOBO to end up about 450 miles further down the trail in 6 months that incredibly slow, did nobody hike/meet him between April & September ?
Has anyone reached out to lots of the hikers from early April 2017 to see if anyone knows anything, he must of been quite memorable if he wore jeans.

IIRC, posters have spoken with Obsidian.

Anyone know how to contact Dirty Rotten *advertiser censored* (although I do have a candidate or two,) Honeysuckle, or Mountain She Goat???

JMHO YMMV

I've emailed DRB, just waiting to hear back if he has anymore info, speaking to a lady who lives along the trail he was on the PNT in 2017 and stayed at a house on Whidbey island on 18th august whilst nearing the end of his hike (the owner doesn't recognise the names denim/muck/mountainshegoat or honeysuckle),if they were hiking together then most likely went separate ways before Whidbey looking at his instagram he hiked the trail from end of June to end of august & was passing through Metaline WA at the very end of July 2017, could this match up with the timeline if denim was on the AT in september ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member