Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that autopsy is very interesting and contains some things we didn’t know! I wonder, could he pee? His bladder is distended and his penis is injured enough to be mentioned as a significant finding. While that doesn’t explain the starvation, it would definitely be cause for concern health-wise.

I believe everywhere (or most places...) I've read about MH it's been stated that he died of starvation while his cause of death is actually undetermined. Hm.

English isn't my first language, but as I understand, cachexia mostly causes muscle loss; Contrary to "weight loss" which is primarily fat loss.
That makes me think that he either had an autoimmune disease or something that's difficult to diagnose. Maybe a condition that's extremely rare... A family member also pointed to adult-onset diabetes (diabetes type 2).
" Diabetic neuropathic cachexia is characterized by bilateral, painful neuropathy usually involving the anterior thighs, with dramatic weight loss."

JMO

Now that I have googled and learned things I didn’t want to know about male chafing, it seems like this type of injury could be from long-distance hiking.
Thank you for googling so I didn't have to lol.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I have some knowledge about starvation and how it kills you. Fat is stored in the body as an energy repository. So when you're hungry, the body "eats" up whatever is in the stomach first (anything you may have recently eaten). If there's no food to sustain the body, it begins to eat up fat stored in the body. This is how most people lose weight -- by burning more fat than they eat. In more drastic cases of starvation, the body begins to shut down some non-essential processes and focuses on finding ways to sustain its energy supply (like when you turn your screen backlight off if your phone is low battery). When the fat stores have been depleted and the non-essential processes are turned off, the body begins to eat muscle. I've heard this referred to as "muscle wasting." The muscle throughout the body is eaten away until the muscle around and within the heart is eaten. This weakens until the heart stops beating and death results. This is a very simplified version of how starvation kills someone, but this is why most victims of starvation, eating disorders, etc die of a cardiac event. I remember speculation about MH dying of a heart attack because of the way he was positioned when he was found. That would actually be right in line with starvation as the cause/manner of death.

Thank you for googling so I didn't have to lol.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I have some knowledge about starvation and how it kills you. Fat is stored in the body as an energy repository. So when you're hungry, the body "eats" up whatever is in the stomach first (anything you may have recently eaten). If there's no food to sustain the body, it begins to eat up fat stored in the body. This is how most people lose weight -- by burning more fat than they eat. In more drastic cases of starvation, the body begins to shut down some non-essential processes and focuses on finding ways to sustain its energy supply (like when you turn your screen backlight off if your phone is low battery). When the fat stores have been depleted and the non-essential processes are turned off, the body begins to eat muscle. I've heard this referred to as "muscle wasting." The muscle throughout the body is eaten away until the muscle around and within the heart is eaten. This weakens until the heart stops beating and death results. This is a very simplified version of how starvation kills someone, but this is why most victims of starvation, eating disorders, etc die of a cardiac event. I remember speculation about MH dying of a heart attack because of the way he was positioned when he was found. That would actually be right in line with starvation as the cause/manner of death.

I was intrigued by the fact that his bowels had not emptied, although he had been dead for at least a day or two.

Looking into this, I read about how people who are dying (be it nursing homes, cancer, etc) often have lots of bowel contents stored in their respective places due to their bodies preparing for death.

Another interesting thing to me involved people who held their feces and died from colon stoppage, which lead to a heart attack for a 16 year old girl in England! Source: Teenage girl dies after not going to toilet for eight weeks

Lastly, an article I came across made me think about one of my theories again. I had previously proposed that MH may have had an attack of some kind (heart, stroke, aneurysm) and that is why he was on his back, appearing shocked etc. In the theory, he was left helpless and could barely move, leading to eventual starvation. Anyways, this article describes and elderly woman that dies from starvation after having a mild stroke: Mild Stroke Leads to Forced Starvation & Dehydration-Oregon Right to Life

Signs of a heart attack, stroke, diabetic neuropathy, or aneurysm would show up in an autopsy, I think. The autopsy points to a perfectly healthy guy who starved to death for seemingly no health reason. (Lots of things wouldn’t show up on an autopsy of course)

The starvation would have taken weeks. That is what is so difficult to imagine. He had all that time to try to save himself. Was he paralyzed? How did the starvation start? Either he began in a weakened state for some reason or something happened that prevented him from trying to hike out and get help.

I like this guy. I care less about who he was and more about how this happened.

Poor guy, he must have been so uncomfortable and in pain.
Thinking that he had severe constipation that made it difficult to move or have a desire to eat, speculation, imo. rbbm.
'Missed opportunities' to save man who died after 10kg of faeces removed from body
''A coroner has concluded gross failures by a Suffolk hospital contributed to the death of a man whose severe constipation meant he had to have 10kg of faeces removed from his body.

Richard Handley, 33, who had Downs Syndrome and was from Lowestoft, died from a cardiac arrest in November 2012.

A post-mortem examination found that his bronchi – near the entrance of the lungs – and nasal passages contained gastric contents and it was likely that he had choked on his vomit due to a bowel obstruction, the law firm acting for his family said''.

EXCLUSIVE: Elvis Presley's Doctor Claims He Died of an 'Embarrassing' Case of Chronic Constipation
''LOS ANGELES – It has been widely reported that Elvis Presley died in 1977 from cardiac arrhythmia, an irregular heartbeat, possibly brought on by drug dependency, obesity and a weak heart. But the music legend's longtime friend and physician, Dr. George “Nick” Nichopoulos, has put pen to paper for the first time and revealed his belief that it was chronic constipation that actually killed the King of Rock and Roll.''
https://www.mdlinx.com/article/medical-mystery-solved-the-case-of-the-balloon-man/lfc-2573
''Imagine walking around with a 40-pound bag of manure in your abdomen. That’s probably what life was like for the young man pictured here, who suffered from chronic constipation for most of his life. When he died in 1892 at the age of 29, an autopsy revealed that his colon was 8 feet long, with a circumference of 28 inches at its widest point, and contained 40 pounds of feces.''
A Guy in Melbourne Almost Died From Constipation
''According to a case detailed in the BMJ Case Report, severe constipation almost ended a 57-year-old Australian man’s life. The unnamed individual first realised something was amiss when a backlog of poop caused paralysis in one of his legs. He’d already experienced the more common constipation symptoms — bloating, nausea — for a few days, but knew he needed to see a doctor when his right leg started to go. The report explains that by the time he made it to Footscray Hospital in Melbourne, the limb was cold and had no pulse.

After a scan of his abdomen, doctors realised the culprit was a huge faecal impaction that had distended his large intestine to the point it was pressing on his iliac artery — leading to the lack of blood flow to the leg.

Even more troubling than the threat to his limb, was the fact the compaction had also caused abdominal compartment syndrome, which is the name for too much pressure on the abdomen. If not treated, the pressure can cut off blood to organs and lead to death.''

Here are two more pictures.

I have seen the one of him eating before, but not very often. Until today, I had never seen him inspecting his feet.

Source: #whoisbenbilemy Instagram posts - Gramho.com

This was one of the reasons why I thought about diabetes type 2 and diabetic neuropathy - patients who have these diagnoses ought to check their feet daily.

Other symptoms of diabetic neuropathy include:
  • "Slow stomach emptying (gastroparesis), causing nausea, vomiting and loss of appetite
  • Severe pain in a hip and thigh or buttock
  • Eventual weak and shrinking thigh muscles
  • Difficulty rising from a sitting position
  • Severe stomach pain"
There are multiple different symptoms depending on the type of neuropathy a patient is diagnosed with (you can have more than one type at the same time). These are just some that could match MH's condition.
My source is not the best one but here you go - Diabetic neuropathy - Symptoms and causes.
I don't think all diseases related to nerve damage show on autopsy - they only performed an x-ray, didn't they? For nerves you would probably need something more in depth. (IMHO)

ETA: I suppose the state of decomposition could have prevented the medical examiner from digging much deeper.

Does anyone think there could be some significance in choosing the name Ben Bilemy? At first I was wondering if Bilemy was maybe a mothers maiden name or something, but I can't find any mention of the word "Bilemy" anywhere else on the internet that doesn't mention this case. Then I wondered if maybe "Bilemy" is an altered version of "Bellamy" which is much more common. It's probably a wicked long shot but I figured that anything big or small could be the break in this case!
Also this reminds me a lot of Chris McCandless from the book "Into The Wild", I haven't read that book in decades but I do remember something about McCandless leaving his upper-class life for the simplicity of hiking and part of me wondered if maybe Mostly Harmless here was from an upper-class family and that might contribute to the "perfect teeth" and fairly apparent education that he had. Obviously things like that aren't specific to only wealthier people, but it's just an idea!

Also curious as to how he thought he’d get home with zero id? Do they still have storage lockers in places like train and bus stations?
My thought is he had ID on him for most of the trip. Then sometime along the way when he decided there was no going back and little more going forward he discarded the stuff that would identify him like ID, phone, any paperwork on storage, emergency contacts, etc.

The autopsy IS frustrating. Everything was normal, extraordinarily so, so his death doesn't seem related to an illness like cancer or heart issues. The only other thing that may have been a factor is some sort of neural disease or genetic disorder that may not necessarily show on autopsy.

Some of the wasting issues are very strange. Example, the wasting of the muscle in the temporal area of the face which would have hampered his ability to chew. It's much smaller than say, the calf muscle, but would wasting occur more quickly on smaller muscles than larger ones?

I'm thinking about the large amount of urine in his bladder. One of the symptoms of ALS is the inability to pass urine due to spasticity of pelvic muscles. It's also a symptom brain disorders like MS and Parkinson's disease called neurogenic bladder. Retaining that much urine could definitely cause an infection. Both of those disorders should show on autopsy, though.

Same with tetanus. Tetanus used to be called lockjaw due to paralysis of the jaw. I wondered if he had some infection, through a cut or abrasion. But again, it would have shown on autopsy. His brain didn't seem to have any abnormalities.

Someone earlier mentioned the death of Chris McCandless and that he may have succumbed to poisonous plants. There are poisonous plants in Florida. There are two trees, the poisonwood and manicheel tree that emit a sap that has proven to be fatal in some cases.

There is also a virus found in south Florida called the Everglades Virus. There's not a lot of info on it other than it can cause neurologic manifestations. Here's a link:
Serologic Evidence of Widespread Everglades Virus Activity in Dogs, Florida
I tried to link to another site regarding Everglade virus but I keep getting kicked out. It may be because I'm not the US. The site is www.lcmcd.com

Years ago, a friend of mine, ended up with impacted bowels after childbirth. She was afraid to go, and lied repeatedly to the nurses when asked if she'd had a bowel movement. She ended up being hospitalized to remove what she characterized as 'gravel' since the body removes much of the moisture. Something called GBA (gut/brain axis) affects the ability to pass stool.

I was wondering about the drugs or lack thereof in Denim's system. I don't suffer from allergies, thank goodness, but I don't remember anyone discussing whether Denim had any symptoms of allergies on the trail. Hiking through forests and grasslands would definitely be a high risk for allergies. Because of Florida's warm climate they have high pollen counts all year long. I wonder if fellow hikers could affirm Denim discussing allergies or witnessed him taking the medication.

The reason I'm curious about the allergy meds is that Diphenhydramine is used to delay or slow down early symptoms of Huntington's disease. We've always thought that the health issue that Denim mentioned to his fellow hikers was something that made the hike a bucket list item. HD is a terrible disease that can only be detected by genetic markers before the illness presents. I remember the conversation Denim had with a fellow hiker when he discussed his father's pugilistic attitude toward his son and that they didn't get a long. One of the early symptoms of HD is a belligerent attitude and anger management issues. HD is pretty much a death sentence, once that takes a long and tortuous journey through the body and mind.

Here's a link to a story about a women who chose to starve to death rather than be ravaged by the disease.
Kim’s Choice: Inside one woman's decision to starve herself to death

I felt like a voyeur reading the most personal aspects of Denim's death. I have a hard time correlating the friendly engaging man seen in all those photos and his anonymous, lonely death. It's nearly two years since he died and we are no further ahead in terms of his identity.

Thanks @Narkj for sharing the autopsy report.

"The large bowel has abundant formed feces". Contributing factor? An impacted colon can cause a host of issues, up to and including death.
Large Bowel Obstruction
I think that finding is significant as well, IMO, and have wondered about the surgical scar on his abdomen.

Also the cachexia. I thought his legs appeared emaciated in that way, in one of the photos I saw of him a while back. I wonder also if that was a contributing factor that he had knee problems... as a result of weakened leg muscles due to muscle wasting.

Cachexia can be caused by a variety of Illnesses, but it seems something would have shown up in the autopsy report. Is it possible that due to privacy issues some parts of the report were separated and not released, or left out ?

Cachexia: Symptoms, treatment, and outlook
There are certain chronic conditions linked to cachexia, usually in the end-stages of the disease.

A person with one of the following conditions should talk to their doctor about steps to prevent the development of cachexia and how to improve quality of life.

Examples of these conditions include:

I think that finding is significant as well, IMO, and have wondered about the surgical scar on his abdomen.

Also the cachexia. I thought his legs appeared emaciated in that way, in one of the photos I saw of him a while back. I wonder also if that was a contributing factor that he had knee problems... as a result of weakened leg muscles due to muscle wasting.

Cachexia can be caused by a variety of Illnesses, but it seems something would have shown up in the autopsy report. Is it possible that due to privacy issues some parts of the report were separated and not released, or left out ?

Cachexia: Symptoms, treatment, and outlook
I’ve been reading up on this on Quora, some answers by physicians that say it’s not atypical for the bowel or bladder not to release at death, unless there is fear or it is a traumatic death as in a car accident. So maybe the full bowel and bladder are insignificant after all.
I would provide a link but I don’t know if that site is approved source here.
I do wonder why the cause and manner of death are still “Undetermined”, at least as of that last date on the report, June 6, 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader