Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" & "Mostly Harmless", Jul 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I heard correctly, it's possible they might have some info available within a week.

Hi @Canaille @GatorFL, we have successfully extracted DNA and we successfully completed QC, which included a little bit of sequencing. We still need to fully sequence the DNA but from a lab perspective, we are fairly confident we will build a good genealogical profile (and ahead of our projected schedule). Next step is to do just that. Once we get the match results, it will be easier to estimate what will be required in terms of genealogy.

We appreciate everyone's support and interest and will try to keep updating as learn more.

Last edited:
Hi @Canaille @GatorFL, we have successfully extracted DNA and we successfully completed QC, which included a little bit of sequencing. We still need to fully sequence the DNA but from a lab perspective, we are fairly confident we will build a good genealogical profile (and ahead of our projected schedule). Next step is to do jut that. Once we get the match results, it will be easier to estimate what will be required in terms of genealogy.

We appreciate everyone's support and interest and will try to keep updating as learn more.

I just want to say thank you for taking the time to keep everyone updated, between this group and those on other forums. I hope that I speak for everyone when I say that we appreciate being kept in the loop, that alone makes the service you provide invaluable!

I zoomed in, maybe you can see it now?View attachment 261370

The DQ is actually a yellow Dollar General bag I think. We know he bought his notebooks at a DG.

Thanks I see it now. The plastic shopping bag looks pretty shredded. Could that be the work of small animals? I can't see LE just ripping it down from the tree.

Hi @Canaille @GatorFL, we have successfully extracted DNA and we successfully completed QC, which included a little bit of sequencing. We still need to fully sequence the DNA but from a lab perspective, we are fairly confident we will build a good genealogical profile (and ahead of our projected schedule). Next step is to do just that. Once we get the match results, it will be easier to estimate what will be required in terms of genealogy.

@othram thank you so much for the update! I too appreciate it as I know many do. Will you be giving out his name and information to us or no? I hope that we can finally get these answers we have all been working on ourselves. I would like closure if that is at all possible!

@othram thank you so much for the update! I too appreciate it as I know many do. Will you be giving out his name and information to us or no? I hope that we can finally get these answers we have all been working on ourselves. I would like closure if that is at all possible!

We have to work through law enforcement but we will post as many updates as possible/permitted. CCSO just ran a podcast updating on next steps for the case and they have been amazing at keeping folks up to date.

I’ve been doing some thinking about why nobody else saw MH during his time at Nobles. If he was staying there surely he left camp to get food a few times. Nobles Camp is 5 miles from the I-75 Rest Area along an elevated double track trail with little shade. So a 10 mile roundtrip, maybe made in the morning, was certainly within MH’s hiking ability when he first arrived at Nobles. But was it worth the effort for only vending machine fare? On the other hand, a trip back up the FT north from Nobles to Boundry Rd, and hiking, or perhaps hitchhiking, to the Seminole Reservation just east of there would seem like no more effort and he would be more likely to find a better supply of food for an extended stay. There’s at least an RV Campground and a convenience store or two. Are there no reports of anyone seeing him there?

It’s hard to believe also that more people didn’t encounter MH at Nobles from May to July if he was indeed there this whole time. Although few, if any, thru hikers would be on the FT then, at least a few more day or overnight hikers passing through seem plausible, such as AC did on June 1-2. So I searched a number of fitness apps to investigate this. These trails are also part of designated segments for trail running and mountain biking in Strava, as well as in Alltrails. More hikers, to the limited extent they use these apps, are on Alltrails. Strava users tend to be more competitive types and so there are more logs of their runs and rides. I found one trail runner (AL) on a Strava leaderboard who ran from I-75 north toward Nobles Camp on July 14 2018 twice in the morning (two round trips, 20 miles total). Unfortunately he took the sharp right turn on the FT and then turned around just past the Nobles Camp turnoff each time, not likely within sight of the camp area. I considered he could have passed MH on the trail but in another forum he stated “0 traffic”, so it seemed unlikely. He likely passed agonizingly close to MH at a critical time. I looked at other types of forums too. One Meetup group, “Let’s Explore S. Florida”, has had some group overnight camping trips from I-75 north in the past but I didn’t see any of these had been held between May and July 2018. Has anyone from the S. Florida area who might be a member of these groups shared info with them about MH?

I’ve been doing some thinking about why nobody else saw MH during his time at Nobles. If he was staying there surely he left camp to get food a few times. Nobles Camp is 5 miles from the I-75 Rest Area along an elevated double track trail with little shade. So a 10 mile roundtrip, maybe made in the morning, was certainly within MH’s hiking ability when he first arrived at Nobles. But was it worth the effort for only vending machine fare? On the other hand, a trip back up the FT north from Nobles to Boundry Rd, and hiking, or perhaps hitchhiking, to the Seminole Reservation just east of there would seem like no more effort and he would be more likely to find a better supply of food for an extended stay. There’s at least an RV Campground and a convenience store or two. Are there no reports of anyone seeing him there?

It’s hard to believe also that more people didn’t encounter MH at Nobles from May to July if he was indeed there this whole time. Although few, if any, thru hikers would be on the FT then, at least a few more day or overnight hikers passing through seem plausible, such as AC did on June 1-2. So I searched a number of fitness apps to investigate this. These trails are also part of designated segments for trail running and mountain biking in Strava, as well as in Alltrails. More hikers, to the limited extent they use these apps, are on Alltrails. Strava users tend to be more competitive types and so there are more logs of their runs and rides. I found one trail runner (AL) on a Strava leaderboard who ran from I-75 north toward Nobles Camp on July 14 2018 twice in the morning (two round trips, 20 miles total). Unfortunately he took the sharp right turn on the FT and then turned around just past the Nobles Camp turnoff each time, not likely within sight of the camp area. I considered he could have passed MH on the trail but in another forum he stated “0 traffic”, so it seemed unlikely. He likely passed agonizingly close to MH at a critical time. I looked at other types of forums too. One Meetup group, “Let’s Explore S. Florida”, has had some group overnight camping trips from I-75 north in the past but I didn’t see any of these had been held between May and July 2018. Has anyone from the S. Florida area who might be a member of these groups shared info with them about MH?
He's all over the FTA, the hiking community is aware of him. I hadn't thought about trail runners but I encounter them most hikes, even summer hikes. I agree, others likely encountered him but have not, for whatever reason, realized they came across someone who is now unidentified.

I was looking at his notes last night. The number on the top left of the page, are those dates? If so, am I understanding correctly that he didn't have any notes for May and June?

Were the three loose pages ever transcribed? All that I have found is from the bound notebooks. The transcribed pages didn't have any dates and in the photos of the notebooks I found it was not clear what was in the upper left.

Were the three loose pages ever transcribed? All that I have found is from the bound notebooks. The transcribed pages didn't have any dates and in the photos of the notebooks I found it was not clear what was in the upper left.

What I looked at last night were pics of the original handwritten notes. I don't recall any of them being loose pages.

What I looked at last night were pics of the original handwritten notes. I don't recall any of them being loose pages.
Here is the link Mostly Harmless Notebook
I found them in a post by @UnlicensedPI Post#185 in Thread 3

As for dates, it looks like the upper left annotations are page numbering or indexing, not dates.

I am only speculating about there being a larger file. The case file that has been released is mostly NAMUS ruleouts. There is some other stuff in there like the initial scene description and a partial list of his belongings.

I guess after some consideration if the detectives have a more complete file with some info that needs to be redacted or other secret information, it makes sense that they are only releasing some of the file. I think the detectives have done a fantastic job, BTW. They successfully got a lot of information about this guy in a really short period of time.

The autopsy looks complete to me. As I've said here before it seems the ME thought a basic autopsy would be adequate. Perhaps he could have done some additional testing, maybe not.

Some things can never be truly known and the more I study this case the biggest mystery remains what caused MH to starve to death? As I converse with many people interested in this one, I continue to come back to either mania or anorexia as a cause. Several people with anorexia have confirmed they had similar behavior as MH: eating bites around the crust of a pizza, concern with caloric density of foods, very poor diet choices, no realization of their weight and body condition, drinking lots and lots of water and feeling far more comfortable alone than with others. My opinion, but one I share with others who, like I said, suffered from an ED.
In regards to the autopsy photos, and even in the picture where he is holding the map, it looks like his joints on his hands were really swollen, could he have had some type of autoimmune disease that caused him so much pain he couldn’t move so well?

In regards to the autopsy photos, and even in the picture where he is holding the map, it looks like his joints on his hands were really swollen, could he have had some type of autoimmune disease that caused him so much pain he couldn’t move so well?

There's been speculation that MH had some kind of autoimmune disease like RA, Raynaud's syndrome or lupus. There's a couple of photos of him holding up thru-stickers and there is a definite discoloration of his fingers in the pics.

There is no evidence of swollen hands or joints in any PM pics. His fingers were slim and without any type of joint inflamation. When I say PM I don't mean autopsy photos, I am referring to images taken by LE on discovery of his body at the camp site. I have problems providing images from those pics. I don't know if the files are too big or not supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway