Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" & "Mostly Harmless", Jul 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't even my comment. I was responding nicely, unlike you here, to someone else wondering about the father. How is it all out there though if it's not on our timeline?! Did you not make sure it was on the timeline? Did you check if it's on the timeline, no I checked. Do you sign up for the timeline that's on the first page of every new thread about this or do you think the person I'm responding to should have read message 452 in thread 3?
I was not trying to be inconsiderate. Sorry about that. Part of the issue is that many of the initial comments made by those who had direct contact with MH were made on other forums - forums that have their own timelines, and they are forums that Websleuths has rules about mentioning...so I can't link to them. But, I recommend looking at them. Those timelines have screenshots and direct links to all the hiker's direct comments on MH from these various forums. (Even still, they are missing some things - but the primary, first-hand info that appeared in the first couple of months of his disappearance is available there.)

I think most ATM's in the US are 3rd party, not from the actual banks. There are tons of banks in the US whereas, only a few in Canada with each directly providing the ATMs.

I was just checking that issue regarding paying bills at ATM's in the US. According to this study, link attached, there are over 470,000 ATM's in the US, as of 2018, and nearly 200,000 are bank owned. The rest are independently owned. Most of the independent ones appear in more disadvantaged areas where the population rely on cash payments or benefits. A lot are in convenience stores, dollar stores and gas stations. Independent ATM's make their money from the fees.

We do have independent ATM's in Canada. They pop up in the same places although I've never seen one in a dollar store, mostly in shopping malls. Pretty hefty fees for making a withdrawal, imo. Anywhere from $2.00 to $3.50 so I always try to use an ATM that's either my bank's or is part of Interac to avoid fees.

I have a US bank account and when I use their ATM's I don't pay a service fee. If I use an independent one, I pay a fee. So if MH did use a debit card at an ATM in the rest station it probably was independently owned one and they don't keep records because your bank keeps records of your transactions. Easy to check if you know who the individual is, of course.

Is there a list in the US to show dormant bank accounts, perhaps by state? Usually it takes 3 to 5 years before a dormant bank account is turned over to the state. The clock is probably ticking on MH's bank accounts if he still has one. It would be great if we could find a dormant bank account that had lots of fees for purchases and/or withdrawals along the AT and FT.

http://www.akleg.gov/basis/get_documents.asp?session=31&docid=22687

Last edited:
I was just checking that issue regarding paying bills at ATM's in the US.. ..SNIP.. .. It would be great if we could find a dormant bank account that had lots of fees for purchases and/ or withdrawals along the AT and FT.

I don't see why he needed to access an ATM that much along the trail, if at all. He still had over $3k in cash when found. Maybe a bigger concern for him was getting change in the right denominations if he was trying to subsist on the rest area vending machines in Big Cypress.

I tend to easily take things personally, but I didn't with that post, and I don't feel that it was directed at anyone in particular. And I'm not trying to call you out on your response. I appreciate any and all info that is carried into the newer threads to discuss, even if it's been discussed to the point of beating a dead horse. I can understand anyone being frustrated to see things brought up that they might be tired of seeing.... I feel that way as well many times.

Now, I just wish I could remember what else I was going to say. o_O:D

The signature looks like Ben Bridges to me.
That's an interesting theory. Another possibility is that "Ben Bilemy" sort of sounds like his real name, or is a really bad mispronunciation and/or misspelling of his real name, like it was a kind of inside joke that came to him easily when needed. Would some Cajun surnames fit this theory?

That's an interesting theory. Another possibility is that "Ben Bilemy" sort of sounds like his real name, or is a really bad mispronunciation and/or misspelling of his real name, like it was a kind of inside joke that came to him easily when needed. Would some Cajun surnames fit this theory?

I've been wanting to throw around a list of surnames.... "eaux" sounds like faux, bro...

Breaux - sounds like bro
Boudreaux - sounds like boo dro
Billeaud - sounds like bee oh
Billedeaux - sounds like bill oh do or bill eh do
Babineaux - bab n no

I sure do wish I had an old phone book for Baton Rouge... but I do have one from another city in Louisiana... will go look.

Is there a list in the US to show dormant bank accounts, perhaps by state? Usually it takes 3 to 5 years before a dormant bank account is turned over to the state. The clock is probably ticking on MH's bank accounts if he still has one. It would be great if we could find a dormant bank account that had lots of fees for purchases and/or withdrawals along the AT and FT.

Not sure about other states but Florida has registry that can be checked online. But of course, you need a name.

ETA, I checked Ben Bilemy and nothing came up.

I've been wanting to throw around a list of surnames.... "eaux" sounds like faux, bro...

Breaux - sounds like bro
Boudreaux - sounds like boo dro
Billeaud - sounds like bee oh
Billedeaux - sounds like bill oh do or bill eh do
Babineaux - bab n no

I sure do wish I had an old phone book for Baton Rouge... but I do have one from another city in Louisiana... will go look.

And the obvious very common name Bellamy...of which there are thousands...

There have been a lot of questions about the garbage bag. I don't think I have seen a picture posted. Below is a link to a picture of that bag. All I can make out is an empty bag of Starkist tuna and perhaps an empty bag of candy. @branmuffin I know you were wondering about this. Thoughts?

https://i.imgur.com/tYAgBx9.jpg

@othram could you please update us on where you are with the sequencing?

I have thoughts on the sister. Maybe the person who was speaking with him misunderstood or is remembering the information wrong. I do believe he has a sister, possibly in Florida.
Why would he bother even bringing it up if it weren't true? He could simply not say anything at all. From what others say he was quiet so I do not see him making up a pretend sister just for the heck of it, there would be no reason to. MOO

Othram had a Q&A last night on another forum that we are not allowed to link here. They have extracted DNA and got better samples than expected. They are entering the forensic DNA phase now and feel confident they will track down his family as well as the region/locale he is from.

There have been a lot of questions about the garbage bag. I don't think I have seen a picture posted. Below is a link to a picture of that bag. All I can make out is an empty bag of Starkist tuna and perhaps an empty bag of candy. @branmuffin I know you were wondering about this. Thoughts?

https://i.imgur.com/tYAgBx9.jpg

Your eyesight is a lot better than mine! I don't see a can of tuna, which if it's there, he didn't get it at the rest stop. Is there some letters DQ on the bag. Is there a Dairy Queen close by?

Your eyesight is a lot better than mine! I don't see a can of tuna, which if it's there, he didn't get it at the rest stop. Is there some letters DQ on the bag. Is there a Dairy Queen close by?
It's a bag, the blue logo. Hikers don't buy cans, the bags are lighter. I've seen them in vending machines too.

Othram had a Q&A last night on another forum that we are not allowed to link here. They have extracted DNA and got better samples than expected. They are entering the forensic DNA phase now and feel confident they will track down his family as well as the region/locale he is from.

If I heard correctly, it's possible they might have some info available within a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214