FL FL - Boca Raton, WhtFem UP1107, 20-35, possibly Joy Neubauer, Nov'96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There is lots for me to dig through. There were 2 reports about her. The first was from the morning of 11/27 where she was screaming and somebody called 911. This is where she told the officer the name, DOB and that she was newly homeless. She had been swimming in her clothes at this encounter. This officer did note her clothing but I cannot recall if he mentioned shoes.

12 hours later she was found hanging from the lifeguard stand. There were no shoes or ID. They were extremely through at the scene, including documenting all the cars and license plates in the area and also searching trash bins. Interestingly the officers found a piece of paper with some names and phone numbers in the trash and these were investigated and they did not know her.

Did the report mention what she was hanged with?

Yellow rope on the lifeguard stand. There is a sketch of her hanging. Looked like a rope tied to the rope safety line around the stand. I wish they would have sent pictures, the file comments on the rope and that they cut the safety line down and transported it with her to the ME office.

There is zero evidence of this being anything other than a hanging. No defensive wounds or abrasions anywhere.

Yellow rope on the lifeguard stand. There is a sketch of her hanging. Looked like a rope tied to the rope safety line around the stand. I wish they would have sent pictures, the file comments on the rope and that they cut the safety line down and transported it with her to the ME office.

There is zero evidence of this being anything other than a hanging. No defensive wounds or abrasions anywhere.

I asked because I wondered about the screaming that was reported on the 911 call. Did the report go into detail regarding the screams? Was she just frustrated over her situation and was venting on a beach she thought was deserted or whether the caller thought something nefarious was going on.

I asked because I wondered about the screaming that was reported on the 911 call. Did the report go into detail regarding the screams? Was she just frustrated over her situation and was venting on a beach she thought was deserted or whether the caller thought something nefarious was going on.
It didn't get very deep with the caller instead the responding officer discussed his interactions with her.

Why on earth os there no DNA for this person? By 1996 it was already being used as an investigative tool so how was something not preserved? A blood sample a hair a fingernail...anything. I wonder if because it was clearly a suicide and they had a name and dob they weren't as thorough as they should have been.
Does the fact that there is no DNA mean that every comparison has to be done manually? If so, why are there so few rule outs?

I would like to bring up a missing person who would have had to have been compared since she went missing from the same county: Lurline Bergeron

FL - FL - Lurline Bergeron, 14, West Palm Beach, 1 July 1991

Honestly, I really don't think this UID is Lurline but there are some similarities in looks, hairstyle etc. If she was living with one of the older hispanic males that she was "dating" when she went missing and that relationship ended it could explain being "newly homeless" and appearing well kept.
However, there are two 5's that make me doubt that it's Miss Bergeron:
5 inches difference in height
5 years unaccounted for apparently never having left the county from where she disappeared.
I'd love to hear other's thoughts

Edit: @SisterGrimm suggested this thread on Miss Bergeron's thread.

Last edited:
Why on earth os there no DNA for this person? By 1996 it was already being used as an investigative tool so how was something not preserved? A blood sample a hair a fingernail...anything. I wonder if because it was clearly a suicide and they had a name and dob they weren't as thorough as they should have been.
Does the fact that there is no DNA mean that every comparison has to be done manually? If so, why are there so few rule outs?
She was exhumed in 2010, a rib for DNA extraction was sent to UNT in 2011 but the ME never heard anything. I would love for @othram to get involved in this case.

I would like to bring up a missing person who would have had to have been compared since she went missing from the same county: Lurline Bergeron

FL - FL - Lurline Bergeron, 14, West Palm Beach, 1 July 1991

Honestly, I really don't think this UID is Lurline but there are some similarities in looks, hairstyle etc. If she was living with one of the older hispanic males that she was "dating" when she went missing and that relationship ended it could explain being "newly homeless" and appearing well kept.
However, there are two 5's that make me doubt that it's Miss Bergeron:
5 inches difference in height
5 years unaccounted for apparently never having left the county from where she disappeared.
I'd love to hear other's thoughts

Edit: @SisterGrimm suggested this thread on Miss Bergeron's thread.
Lurline has been suggested before. I don't think the ages line up. Also, Joy was known to be well cared for, she was not homeless.

Lurline has been suggested before. I don't think the ages line up. Also, Joy was known to be well cared for, she was not homeless.

Lurline would have been 20 by November of 1996 which is pretty close to Joy's low end of 21.
The homeless thing I would agree is a stretch....Lurline would have had to have been well cared for by someone during the 5 year stretch. But if one of her older "boyfriends" had taken her in maybe she was well taken care of.
Since both cases are with PBSO though they would have had to have looked into it though, right?

Lurline would have been 20 by November of 1996 which is pretty close to Joy's low end of 21.
The homeless thing I would agree is a stretch....Lurline would have had to have been well cared for by someone during the 5 year stretch. But if one of her older "boyfriends" had taken her in maybe she was well taken care of.
Since both cases are with PBSO though they would have had to have looked into it though, right?
Joy is with Boca PD. PBSO had nothing on her. The ME is Palm Beach County, they unfortunately don't give out a lot of information. But I did learn about the exhumation and DNA fiasco from them. She's skeletonized, in a box at the ME's office at this time.

@othram, where are you? Can we crowdfund this?

I checked out Lurline's page. I don't think this is a match because of the height difference and scarring noted in her profile. Joy had a scar on her shin, nothing noted on the abdomen or head. Facially they are similar though.

I got the case file today. It's huge and I honestly don't know where to begin. I have a lot of work to do to on this.

A few tidbits:

The detective on the case really worked hard on the case. He also worked hard on the name Joy Neubauer. He contacted every Neubauer in the vicinity and none of them had a missing person. He contacted every Joy Neubauer he found nationally and they were all alive and well. He also looked into SSN's and credit reports. There were no missing Joys even with different birthdates. I think Joy Neubauer was likely an alias.

While I did not receive any photos, I can tell you that the artist rendering of her in the file is much clearer than anything I've seen posted online. I plan on reaching out to the artist. I have requested a photo of her face from some of the agencies involved and if I receive one I will commission a new rendering done.

She was extremely well-kept. Good dental care including root canal and restorations to several teeth. Armpits and legs freshly shaved. Her hair was brown with blond highlights, something I've not seen mentioned elsewhere. She seems younger than 35, I know NamUs has her at 21-35 and I'd guess her to be mid to late 20's around 25-29 based on what I have read so far. She had acne, especially on the left cheek. She had never borne children.

Clothes were a bit of an anomaly. There seemed to be a mish-mosh. No shoes, mens shorts, a long sleeve shirt and a pullover near the body.

Wow...thank you. Are you able to attach it? I understand if you can’t; I can’t attach things either

Wow...thank you. Are you able to attach it? I understand if you can’t; I can’t attach things either
I can't attach it, it is way too big. I am still working on a few things within the file.

First I want to focus on collaborating with @victoriarobinson642 on modifying her reconstruction of Joy. I've sent her a message about that. Once we can get the recon edited a bit I can update you all on progress which has been moving along quickly.

I can't attach it, it is way too big. I am still working on a few things within the file.

First I want to focus on collaborating with @victoriarobinson642 on modifying her reconstruction of Joy. I've sent her a message about that. Once we can get the recon edited a bit I can update you all on progress which has been moving along quickly.
How did you obtain the reports?

I checked out Lurline's page. I don't think this is a match because of the height difference and scarring noted in her profile. Joy had a scar on her shin, nothing noted on the abdomen or head. Facially they are similar though.

Agreed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back