GUILTY FL - Bonnie Haim, 23, Jacksonville, 6 Jan 1993 *husband arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I didn't phrase that correctly.
Is he guilty of "second degree murder" or "second degree murder with aggravating circumstances"?
The jury found him guilty of second degree murder with aggravating circumstances.

The jury found "beyond a reasonable doubt that three of the four aggravating factors were present in his case."

Michael Haim guilty verdict 'justice for everyone who loved Bonnie'

As I understand it, they only had to find one of the four factors for it to be considered "second-degree murder with aggravating circumstances." What I don't understand yet is whether only one aggravating circumstance is sufficient for maximum sentencing guidelines of the time to apply, or if there is any sort of "additive" factor that provides for a longer sentence to be considered for each individual aggravating circumstance.

I know from what the judge and attorneys said in court (from the live feed) that they are working to ensure that he's sentenced using 1993's guidelines (which were in effect at the time the murder was committed), while ensuring they don't consider something that would be in excess of current constitutional limits within Florida. From what the local news said, current Florida sentencing guidelines are harsher than 1993's for second-degree murder, but that the modern tradeoff for a longer base sentence was to not factor in aggravating circumstances (and that nowadays aggravating circumstances are used for Florida juries to determine whether a first degree murderer would be eligible for the death penalty.

PLEASE NOTE: I am only paraphrasing / summarizing what I heard from today's proceedings and from local Jacksonville attorneys interviewed in main stream media, and I am NOT nor do I claim to be an attorney nor someone who's intimate with the last 30 years' of Florida's sentencing guidelines. I'm sure there will be more elaboration in MSM soon on the details of the 1993 and current sentencing guidelines and how they're being applied.

As I understand it, they only had to find one of the four factors for it to be considered "second-degree murder with aggravating circumstances." What I don't understand yet is whether only one aggravating circumstance is sufficient for maximum sentencing guidelines of the time to apply, or if there is any sort of "additive" factor that provides for a longer sentence to be considered for each individual aggravating circumstance.
SBM
Thanks!

From Jury finds Michael Haim guilty of killing wife Bonnie Haim in 1993

"Since his arrest, Michael Haim said he was innocent, and at trial he continued that claim, testifying “I love my wife, and I would’ve never hurt my wife.”

But the jury didn’t believe him, convicting him of second-degree murder. They also found three aggravating factors in a short sentencing trial, but they didn’t find that the murder was heinous, atrocious and cruel, a critical finding in the state’s efforts to seek a sentence above the maximum allowed under the guidelines. Because the murder occurred in 1993, Florida’s older, more lenient laws apply. Under those guidelines, Haim would face seven to 22 years, and he could get out sooner for good behavior.

Prosecutors have asked the court to sentence the 53-year-old above the guidelines, asking for a life term. The judge will have to decide if the aggravating factors — that Fraser witnessed the murder, that Michael Haim tampered with evidence and that the murder caused harm to Bonnie Haim and her family — warrant a tougher sentence. The sentencing hearing will begin May 17."

Another article from a journalist who'd interviewed MH shortly after BH was reported missing - Mary Baer's 1993 interview with Michael Haim: 'Something just wasn't right': Mary Baer's 1993 interview with Michael Haim: 'Something just wasn't right'

I remember being surprised when he called Aaron out to join us, placing the 3½-year-old boy on his lap, so he'd be on camera, and asking his tow-headed son, "Where's Mommy? Where's Mommy?"

Little Aaron gazing up at his daddy, and answered, "She's not here."

Something just wasn't right. I left feeling certain that the young woman could not have left her beautiful boy. As a young mother myself, it just didn't seem possible.

Michael Haim guilty verdict 'justice for everyone who loved Bonnie'

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Twenty-six years after Bonnie Haim disappeared, five years after her now-grown son discovered her body buried in the yard of his boyhood home, it took less than 90 minutes for a jury to find Michael Haim guilty of second-degree murder.

Assistant State Attorney Mac Heavener told a jury Friday morning that the prosecution had proven Michael Haim killed his 23-year-old wife in 1993, adding, "(He) shouldn't benefit from doing such a good job of burying (her) that she wasn't found until a quarter-century later."

First Coast News updated at 9:22 AM ET that the courtroom is experiencing trouble with audio, they are troubleshooting now.

Update to the update: courtroom is still messing around with the audio and video. If you want to follow live, I suggest keeping both Actionnewsjax.com and firstcoastnews.com feed pages open, mute one and leave the other audio active - broadcasters may or may not have to take measures at their side once the court fixes their piece. During the trial I noted that both those locals had slightly different issues at slightly different times with the court feed. I expect more of the same today. :(

10:10 AM update to the updated update: hoping not to jinx it - ActionNewsJax.com might have the feed with both video and audio now.

I don't even want to think about how much money Duval County spent on this monstrosity of a brand-new supersized courthouse and they have so many technology challenges. My taxes at work. :(

Last edited:
Wow, Aaron Fraser's (Haim's son's) victim impact statement is so heartbreaking.
Katie Jeffries on Twitter
"Says as a child he was fearful, says in an interview he was once asked what his mother was wearing and he said "blood"."

Now discussing him throughout his life trying to remember where she was buried and searching for her gravesite.

Bonnie Haim would have been 50 in 3 days (May 20th) had Michael Haim not murdered her. I imagine her entire family would have been celebrating this milestone birthday for her together had he not both murdered her and then torn both her family and his apart with his 26 years of lies about what happened to Bonnie. The judge will issue the sentence Tuesday 5/21 at 8:30 AM.

I watched this hearing livestream even when the audio/video wasn't cooperating. Michael Haim only expressed sorrow and shed tears when his current loved ones spoke about his character. There was again no emotion shown at all for any of the victim impact statements. I didn't expect any, but it's also very clear that he's compartmentalized that part of his past off completely - so much that it's clear from the trial and today that he is incapable of expressing remorse for any of his actions associated with Bonnie's death and his years of lies to cover it up. The judge has been fantastic so far. I'm sure he's duly noted that lack of remorse and that it will factor into the sentence.

A judge in Duval County Tuesday departed from old sentencing guidelines when he ordered Michael Haim to spend the rest of his life in prison for the murder of his wife. Bonnie Haim was killed in 1993. Guidelines for second-degree murder at the time suggested a sentence ranging from seven to 22 years. Michael Haim was found guilty of second-degree murder in April. A trial court may not depart from the guideline’s recommendation unless it is explained in writing. At a little past 9 a.m. Tuesday, Judge Steven Whittington said he had much to consider before concluding that he could depart from the guidelines. Whittington then presented his 11-page sentencing order to the assistant state attorneys as well as Haim’s defense team before telling him he was being sentenced to life in prison.
Judge sentences Michael Haim to life in prison for wife's death

A judge in Duval County Tuesday departed from old sentencing guidelines when he ordered Michael Haim to spend the rest of his life in prison for the murder of his wife. Bonnie Haim was killed in 1993. Guidelines for second-degree murder at the time suggested a sentence ranging from seven to 22 years. Michael Haim was found guilty of second-degree murder in April. A trial court may not depart from the guideline’s recommendation unless it is explained in writing. At a little past 9 a.m. Tuesday, Judge Steven Whittington said he had much to consider before concluding that he could depart from the guidelines. Whittington then presented his 11-page sentencing order to the assistant state attorneys as well as Haim’s defense team before telling him he was being sentenced to life in prison.

There is a judge who truly cares, IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand
Back