Found Safe FL - Boy, 2, missing while parents slept, Brooksville, Hernando County, Feb 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Personally, I am reserving judgment as I have been the night-working mum who was asleep in the morning and had my partner place a sleeping or nearly sleeping (Morning nap) next to me, with my partner waking me to say he was off to work and the child was sleeping or ready for their nap and I have known in my head that the child's nap last X amount of time and snuggled child and fallen back to sleep, then woken up to alarm set and child is still sleeping. The rare amount of times the child woke up before me would wake me or stir me at least, BUT I am a very light sleeper. The dog just breathing wakes me up.
Obviously this is JME

My initial reaction to the caregiver placing him next to Mum is that it may have been the Dad. Maybe he worked at 11-12 and had to leave, he had been up with JJ since 6 (I have 5 kids aged 29-9, I know they like to get up at 6 am ha), and Mum had worked nights, JJ had fallen asleep (Morning nap), and he carried him to the bedroom, said ' JJ's here with you I have to go to work' and got a sleepy 'ok'. Dad goes to work, and Mum goes back to sleep, knowing JJ is sleeping next to her...

JMO

Neinhuis says a relative dropped off the toddler, who was sleeping at the time,
at the house around 9:45 a.m. His caregiver was still sleeping at the time too.
When JJ's mother woke up from a nap, he was already gone.

Emphasis mine.

From the articles, it sounds like he was with a relative who didn't live there ?
As in, JR had been away for the night ?
There is a healthy amount of concern over the situation of the caregiver not waking up, when JR was dropped off.

Again msm may be misreporting this.
It wouldn't be the first time news stations weren't accurate.
Imo.

Emphasis mine.
This is interesting because...if I go to sleep and no one wakes me up to gather the child ,when i wake up will i know if one is missing?

Emphasis mine.

From the articles, it sounds like he was with a relative who didn't live there ?
There is a healthy amount of concern over the situation of the caregiver not waking up, when JR was dropped off.

Imo.
True, but this time it's accurate. The Sheriff said it in the presser yesterday.

24th Feb.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement issued a Missing Child Alert for the boy after his parents reported him missing at 12pm.

An intense day-long search ensued with K-9s, drones, and mounted patrol scouring several areas.

The ground search was suspended at nightfall but Hernando County Sheriff Al Nienhuis said that deputies would continue searching by air using infrared cameras.

Hernando County Sheriff's Office

7hrs. ago

MISSING TODDLER UPDATE

THE GROUND SEARCH HAS CONCLUDED FOR THIS EVENING. THE HCSO AVIATION UNIT WILL BE CHECKING THE AREA FOR THE NEXT FEW HOURS.

THE SEARCH WILL RESUME TOMORROW MORNING.

THERE IS NO ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AT THIS TIME.

WE APPRECIATE ALL THE ASSISTANCE AND COVERAGE TODAY. THANK YOU.

Detectives do not believe any of the Rowland family members “have anything to hide,” but no one has been ruled out as a suspect.

Last edited:
I was really hoping to wake up to some news :(
Thinking about this…it sounds like perhaps Mom works nights and a babysitter brought JJ back home in the morning. If mom was asleep, the babysitter (or person who dropped him off) is technically the last person to see him.
HCSO have said they have no reason to suspect the parents. Unless this is a split custody arrangement and the babysitter was one of the parents…who is the babysitter and have they been cleared?

So is that 10:45 am sighting of him out front playing with the dogs, verified?

I wonder who saw him and where they were?

If I saw a neighbours 2 yr old outside out front, playing all alone, I'd probably keep watching until an adult turned up.

My neighbor once called me one afternoon to say she was watching my 3 yr old chasing a cat up the sidewalk past her house! :oops: Luckily she had already sent her 13 yr old daughter after him and by the time I got out front they were walking back. My son was supposedly taking a nap in his room...lol

I know kids are escape artists and it can happen quickly. I just hope this sweet boy is found soon.

Emphasis mine.

Imo.

Yes, it isn't very clear where the child spent the night. When my kids were little, my parents were on the nursery's call list if for any reason one of them had to come home. In this child's case, the relative obvious was able to get into the house without disturbing the parents, so it could have been a similar situation. Perhaps Grandpa or Auntie picked up the child at nursery, where he had been taken earlier, and brought him back home. I get the sense that the child's return home was unexpected.

So is that 10:45 am sighting of him out front playing with the dogs, verified?

I wonder who saw him and where they were?

If I saw a neighbours 2 yr old outside out front, playing all alone, I'd probably keep watching until an adult turned up.

My neighbor once called me one afternoon to say she was watching my 3 yr old chasing a cat up the sidewalk past her house! :oops: Luckily she had already sent her 13 yr old daughter after him and by the time I got out front they were walking back. My son was supposedly taking a nap in his room...lol

I know kids are escape artists and it can happen quickly. I just hope this sweet boy is found soon.
Yes, in the first interview the Sheriff gave, he said that was a trusted verified sighting of JJ.

The person had stopped for gas just previously and had a time-stamped receipt.

The video of the interview has been posted and also a transcript, not very far back.

I'm in Florida. Some fears I have.... that a boy that size could experience in rural Florida are.... Gators, Mosquito's, Rattlesnakes and Pythons. I'm not trying to be smart, but it's a different world in Florida. Not to mention the two legged vermin that live among us. Luckily it doesn't appear to be too many gator supporting bodies of water nearby, but you never know.

We just had this one the other day. It's a real thing, for sure.

Hernando County Sheriff’s Office

VOLUNTEER INSTRUCTIONS

THOSE INTERESTED IN ASSISTING WITH THE SEARCH FOR THE MISSING TODDLER SHOULD REPORT TO THE CONVENIENCE STORE AT THE CORNER OF COBB ROAD AND FORT DADE AVENUE ANYTIME AFTER 8:15 AM.

HCSO EMPLOYEES WILL BE ON SITE TO CONDUCT A BRIEF BACKGROUND CHECK ON ALL POTENTIAL VOLUNTEERS.

PLEASE BRING A VALID DRIVER’S LICENSE OR ID CARD.

ONCE APPROVED, THE VOLUNTEER WILL BE TAGGED AND GIVEN ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS.

VOLUNTEERS SHOULD WEAR APPROPRIATE CLOTHING AND FOOTWEAR TO WALK THROUGH HEAVILY WOODED AREAS. VOLUNTEERS SHOULD ALSO BRING WATER, GATORADE, ETC., SO AS TO STAY HYDRATED.
1677240160905.png

"There is no indication that he’s been abducted but if you have a family member that’s acting strange, we’re going to check out every lead that comes in until we find "JJ," so if anybody is acting weird please give us a call and let us come talk to him or her and see if we can rule that person out as a possible suspect," stated Hernando County Sheriff Al Nienhuis.

Meanwhile, the sheriff said deputies visited sex offenders in the area and did not find any sign of JJ. Sheriff Nienhuis added that the boy’s family has been cooperative with law enforcement. He also stated that "JJ" may have wandered further than originally thought.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyaC
Back