GUILTY FL - Boy in a Box abuse trial - Parents, Timothy & Tracy Ferriter Arrested, Jupiter, Feb 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What can the state even do? Plus, they might be over a barrel, because the same judge will try Tracy's case?

If you look at the 2 cases they both involve the state appealing the judge's decision on downward departure. It's not a double jeopardy risk because they aren't trying to appeal an acquittal for example. Def check out those cases because I am thinking they may just do something about this. At first I thought "would they even bother spending the $ on this?" Then she got up at the end and put her objections on the record. You can only appeal from the record so if she said nothing - made no objections, she would have sealed the fate. Now they have options. Dave Aronberg may still say no though. Time will tell.

Did you watch the hearing in full and follow the live discussion here? It seemed pointless/prolonged at the time but after the judge gave his ruling it became clear why he was doing it. He was guiding the defense in making additional argument for an unjustified downward departure. He was unfair to the state/victim and joined the defense team for the purpose of this hearing. JMO
<modsnip>
Are you basing your opinion on your feeling that TF should be punished for what he did, or some legal precedent that dictated a longer sentence? The PSI indicated 6.25 years, he really did not deviate far. If you are not familiar with Florida prisons, you should look them up. TF is going to spend every single day of the next 4.25-5 years in absolute purgatory. Following that, he is going to be broke and alone (all this support will have long abandoned him). He will be stuck in a house for more time and live under a microscope while doing months worth of self-improvement courses to satisfy his probation requirements. My emotions wish he had a harsher sentence, but my rational brain knows this is an incredibly harsh punishment for someone like TF.
JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh this is Dave Aronberg’s jurisdiction!! I feel like I know him from all his appearances on the true crime shows and podcasts.

<modsnip>
Are you basing your opinion on your feeling that TF should be punished for what he did, or some legal precedent that dictated a longer sentence? The PSI indicated 6.25 years, he really did not deviate far. If you are not familiar with Florida prisons, you should look them up. TF is going to spend every single day of the next 4.25-5 years in absolute purgatory. Following that, he is going to be broke and alone (all this support will have long abandoned him). He will be stuck in a house for more time and live under a microscope while doing months worth of self-improvement courses to satisfy his probation requirements. My emotions wish he had a harsher sentence, but my rational brain knows this is an incredibly harsh punishment for someone like TF.
JMO
I’ve already stated my position in several comments here. If you saw it and disagree I’m open to being told why I’m wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at the 2 cases they both involve the state appealing the judge's decision on downward departure. It's not a double jeopardy risk because they aren't trying to appeal an acquittal for example. Def check out those cases because I am thinking they may just do something about this. At first I thought "would they even bother spending the $ on this?" Then she got up at the end and put her objections on the record. You can only appeal from the record so if she said nothing - made no objections, she would have sealed the fate. Now they have options. Dave Aronberg may still say no though. Time will tell.
Do you think that will appeal? My hope peaked when she noted her objections...then I keep thinking, they offered him 2 years in the plea deal.

Also, side note I didn't see mentioned....Ms. Murad stated quite dramatically that she had represented Tim since the very beginning and went on to vouch for his remorse. Funny thing is, he was arrested on 2/8/22 and Ms. Murad wasn't added to the case until 10/17/22, a week before Tim's original attorney (who is currently suing him for non-payment) Nellie King withdrew.

@Jurisprudence I was reminded on Twitter that the state offered him a 2 year plea. He got 5. Could state potentially not consider it worthwhile to pursue an appeal? It seems they have a strong case on appeal based on the precedent you’ve helpfully highlighted here. Defense is going to ask for bond while the appeal process goes through and that will be heard by this judge. I’m wondering now if he has a good chance of getting bond. Smh.

Yup. I really expected 6-10 if not more. He did worse sure, but not that much worse. Disappointing. On the appeal I would assume that decision rests with Dave Aronberg (this is Palm Beach County, right?). I hope they do it because there's another problem this judge created that I am concerned about. He just created precedent for defense attorneys in matters before other courts on similar charges to use as fodder to get their child abusers downward departures. I really liked the way Judge Coates handled this trial but this sentencing was a mess imo. I hope if for nothing else, that they appeal it just to stop another defendant from using it. Let's hope he doesn't do something crazy like let him out on bond.

Last edited:
Yup. I really expected 6-10 if not more. He did worse sure, but not that much worse. Disappointing. On the appeal I would assume that decision rests with Dave Aronberg (this is Palm Beach County, right?). I hope they do it because there's another problem this judge created that I am concerned about. He just created precedent for defense attorneys in matters before other courts on similar charges to use as fodder to get their child abusers downward departures. I really liked the way Judge Carroll handled this trial but this sentencing was a mess imo. I hope if for nothing else, that they appeal it just to stop another defendant from using it. Let's hope he doesn't do something crazy like let him out on bond.
The Judge is Howard Coates. Judge Carroll was Maya Trial.

Lololol I'm losing my mind! Carroll County is Delphi case. Ignore me. Oh boy. Maybe it's time for me to go to bed. Lol I'm going to edit. Thanks. Ugh
Or there are just too many C named things going on right now. The other case I'm covering is Clark County Ind. I typed Clark instead of Coates and caught it as I was hitting post. lol

TF faced up to 40 years in prison for aggravated child abuse, a first-degree felony and all he gets is a slap on the hand. And most likely he won't even serve the full five years.

What a message to send. Extremely disappointed.

Justice was not served.

moo
This.
I am glad that I didn't watch the sentencing in real time, let alone full time.
This case made my blood boil.
The sentence is completely inappropriate.
And I was shaking during RF's testimony. This is the only family he has so he is telling his abuser that he loves him and forgives him. RF deserves people around him who are loving. It's not this family.

Sounds like all the people speaking on behalf of TF made a big difference. Of course there’s no one there to speak on behalf of the victims cause they are the children of the defendant and he has jettisoned them. So now all his family who are also technically the victims’ family are on the side of the defendant. This is typical for abused children. Very sad! Also, the defendants Marine Corps upbringing/background made an impact! The people that show up for either side in these trials make a difference! This is proof!
The victim spoke for himself. He didn't want this man in prison for a long time. It didn't sound to me like his daughters were on his side.

This is the first time I've heard of this case.
Horrifying.
That poor teen.
The way to help and correct behavioral issues is to show love and trust, totally and openly.
No one should ever be locked away in a 'box' to 'fix' them.
Being deprived of light is torture, and I'm guessing his allowed food may have been limited portions ?

These parents are like some other cases, where the "punishment" was akin to abuse.
I hope these kids are able to heal, esp. the abused teen boy.

Will be following and hoping these poor excuses for parents are dealt with harshly.
Omo.
Maybe reactive attachment disorder like this little girl?

JMO, I really felt that this judge would be much harsher with the sentence. I had trouble following his reasoning at the end. Raised in a Marine family, the Great Santini, that's when I knew it was going to be a light sentence. The defense atty was good at her job but a real PIA. Tim could cry through his speech but shed no tears when RF was on the stand...again. The daughters gave a much truer picture of life in that household, all about reputation and how it looks to everyone else. Hopefully they can go on and live a fulfilling life. I hope they have some family who are sane to lean on. The grandmother who has adopted the youngest is really a piece of work..like frying pan meet fire. This guy and his puny wife are both disgraceful. I wonder where RF is and what will happen to him.

"Did I see remorse"??? Hahah!! Love this judge! I didn't hear him acknowledge what he did to RF

If I didn't hear any the remorse, please point it out to me.

I take it back, I DON’T love this judge! How can he acknowledge the defendant didn’t show remorse for his actions and then give him a defense so that his sentence is so weak. The daughter’s testimony was heartbreaking - she is a victim too! The whole hearing was hard for me too because they treated TF as if HE was a victim instead of the abuser - convicted a abuser! I am disgusted by the judge and the lack of understanding he took towards the danger of reoffending this guy is. Dang, I expected better at the end of the day!

@Jurisprudence , I am also very concerned about this being used in future child abuse cases. I am quite perturbed at the actions yesterday

Last edited:
Maybe reactive attachment disorder like this little girl?
This video is a fraud. The interviewer is an admitted child abuser who asked a series of very leading questions to get the little girl to answer the way he wants. The interview takes place at a facility a child named Candace Newmaker was killed in. It's called The Evergreen Center For Attachment.

There is more to the Ferriter case than just the parents being a couple of whack-jobs. They obviously got involved in a cult called Attachment Therapy and in particular a so-called 'therapeutic foster parent' and child abuse promoter named Nancy Thomas. Nancy Thomas worked at the facility Candace Newmaker was killed in. Thomas also appears briefly in the full Child Of Rage documentary. The peanut butter sandwich diet in particular comes STRAIGHT from Nancy Thomas.

"RAD-mom" Keri Williams spoke on behalf of the defense at Ferriter's sentencing hearing. She runs a "RAD-mom" Facebook group and writes op-ed pieces about her experiences as a "RAD-mom". She called R.F.'s statement forgiving Tim, "manipulative". I saw it in her group. Anyone who disagrees is banned and blocked.

@cocomod This has been used before in other cases of abuse of adopted children. The killers of Candace Newmaker got off with the minimum sentence for manslaughter because the child supposedly had Reactive Attachment Disorder.

The child in the Ferriter case, an adoptee from Vietnam was demonized and victim-blamed while extended family and many in the community remained loyal to, rallied around and defended the abuser.

For more info about Attachment Therapy and in particular Nancy Thomas, check out: AT Proponent — Nancy Thomas

There's also a Facebook group called Attachment Therapy Is Wrong.

This video is a fraud. The interviewer is an admitted child abuser who asked a series of very leading questions to get the little girl to answer the way he wants. The interview takes place at a facility a child named Candace Newmaker was killed in. It's called The Evergreen Center For Attachment.

There is more to the Ferriter case than just the parents being a couple of whack-jobs. They obviously got involved in a cult called Attachment Therapy and in particular a so-called 'therapeutic foster parent' and child abuse promoter named Nancy Thomas. Nancy Thomas worked at the facility Candace Newmaker was killed in. Thomas also appears briefly in the full Child Of Rage documentary. The peanut butter sandwich diet in particular comes STRAIGHT from Nancy Thomas.

"RAD-mom" Keri Williams spoke on behalf of the defense at Ferriter's sentencing hearing. She runs a "RAD-mom" Facebook group and writes op-ed pieces about her experiences as a "RAD-mom". She called R.F.'s statement forgiving Tim, "manipulative". I saw it in her group. Anyone who disagrees is banned and blocked.

@cocomod This has been used before in other cases of abuse of adopted children. The killers of Candace Newmaker got off with the minimum sentence for manslaughter because the child supposedly had Reactive Attachment Disorder.

The child in the Ferriter case, an adoptee from Vietnam was demonized and victim-blamed while extended family and many in the community remained loyal to, rallied around and defended the abuser.

For more info about Attachment Therapy and in particular Nancy Thomas, check out: AT Proponent — Nancy Thomas

This all reminds me of the Ruby Franke case! And the Hilldebrand woman who advised her on parenting!

I felt really uncomfortable with the sentencing hearing. Especially with that first defense witness and the self-defense argument made by defense. And the judge finished me off with his downward departure! JMO

Reminds me of Caralee - adopted from Russia. They claimed she tried and wanted to kill her little brother, and they returned her to Russia. She is very well adjusted and loved now.

Yup. I really expected 6-10 if not more. He did worse sure, but not that much worse. Disappointing. On the appeal I would assume that decision rests with Dave Aronberg (this is Palm Beach County, right?). I hope they do it because there's another problem this judge created that I am concerned about. He just created precedent for defense attorneys in matters before other courts on similar charges to use as fodder to get their child abusers downward departures. I really liked the way Judge Coates handled this trial but this sentencing was a mess imo. I hope if for nothing else, that they appeal it just to stop another defendant from using it. Let's hope he doesn't do something crazy like let him out on bond.
I should correct this. It's not really precedent in the strict sense of the word. Other courts would not be bound to follow it but you can imagine the problems it will now cause. Bound by the decision or not, other defendants will be citing to it.
jmo

Last edited:
JMO, I really felt that this judge would be much harsher with the sentence. I had trouble following his reasoning at the end. Raised in a Marine family, the Great Santini, that's when I knew it was going to be a light sentence. The defense atty was good at her job but a real PIA. Tim could cry through his speech but shed no tears when RF was on the stand...again. The daughters gave a much truer picture of life in that household, all about reputation and how it looks to everyone else. Hopefully they can go on and live a fulfilling life. I hope they have some family who are sane to lean on. The grandmother who has adopted the youngest is really a piece of work..like frying pan meet fire. This guy and his puny wife are both disgraceful. I wonder where RF is and what will happen to him.

That was my take away too. I thought he handled the trial exceptionally well but in the end, his words (I didn't see any remorse etc) didn't line up with his actions. And, his reasoning was a real stretch.

jmo

I take it back, I DON’T love this judge! How can he acknowledge the defendant didn’t show remorse for his actions and then give him a defense so that his sentence is so weak. The daughter’s testimony was heartbreaking - she is a victim too! The whole hearing was hard for me too because they treated TF as if HE was a victim instead of the abuser - convicted a abuser! I am disgusted by the judge and the lack of understanding he took towards the danger of reoffending this guy is. Dang, I expected better at the end of the day!

@Jurisprudence , I am also very concerned about this being used in future child abuse cases. I am quite perturbed at the actions yesterday

The fact that the daughter's impact statement did not seal the deal is pretty astounding. It hit me for sure. This man did real damage. He's been in jail for a month and still had no remorse. A full month to think about what he'd done and nothing. I was also disturbed about the military comments. It was almost as if he was saying well if your military I understand why you lock your kid in a prison for 4 years in 2 states, make him relieve himself in a home depot bucket, wake him at the crack of dawn to clean it out so the neighbors do not see, give him peanut butter for every meal - every meal you feel like giving to him, and on and on. It's just a horrendous case for me. I could never imagine doing this to any child, let alone any of my own children.
jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x
Back