GUILTY FL - Calyx, 16, & Beau Schenecker, 13, shot to death, Tampa, 27 Jan 2011 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But on Jan. 28, police discovered other layers over this canvas of suburban beige: Blood. Bullets. Pills. A mother in her housecoat, breathing alcohol, mumbling, struggling to stand.

Officers found 50-year-old Julie Schenecker lying on the patio, near an ashtray stuffed with cigarette butts and a Real Simple magazine opened to "9 Easy Ways to Be Happier."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...up-pills-julie-scheneckers-history-of/1182317

Omg, this poor family. I truly believe this woman is mentally unwell. Despite being ill, some people can plan things. It's not the premeditation that would be in doubt, with mentally ill people it's about the fact that they don't consider the effect of what they do. She could plan to kill her children, she just would not be aware of how wrong it was. Her illnesses are confirmed. Bi-polar disorder is horrendous. Being manic for a length of time can leave a person completely unaware of what they are doing.

The fact that she has been incarcarated for the past 2 years and basically under observation would make it very difficult for her to fake insanity. I feel for the husband and children deeply but I feel strongly for the mom too. I don't think the DP should be on the table.

Bi Polar Illness in any capacity does not equal insanity. It never has. It is a personality disorder; ONLY. And that is most likely WHY death IS ON THE TABLE.

Bi Polar Illness in any capacity does not equal insanity. It never has. It is a personality disorder; ONLY. And that is most likely WHY death IS ON THE TABLE.

Bi-polar isn't a personality disorder, it's what used to be known as manic depression. It's a mental illness.

Yes it is .. I think this will be very interesting, and don't think she should get the DP considering the mental illness she suffers which could very well amount to insanity.

Yes it is .. I think this will be very interesting, and don't think she should get the DP considering the mental illness she suffers which could very well amount to insanity.

Your point is very valid.

Just looking at some of the posts on this thread show how misunderstood mental illness is. As a sufferer myself I can tell you all some stuff that I have done that either A. I can't remember at all but have been told I've done by my family. B. Is completely removed from my usual demeanour. Or C. The complete lack of control I have when I'm not well.

I honestly believe Julie could not keep up the pretence of being so ill, for over 10 years before the slaughter of her children, and in the time after. This lady needed help and support and those around her should have stepped in and helped. I've had to have my parents come and take my children from me when I've been ill. I was adamant I was ok, but they could see I wasn't.

I cannot blame this father.

I grew up with a mentally ill mother.
Once I was "old enough to defend myself" people relaxed quite a bit about me around her.

These kids were 13 and 16... not 3 and 6.
They were old enough to run, fight, call the cops or family, realize when something was badly wrong.

He never could have imagined that she would go buy a gun and kill the kids.

I don't believe my mother would either, but I worry more about the emotional damage.
My mother is never allowed alone with my children. EVER, no exceptions.

I do believe this mother knew what she was doing. :banghead:

You don't write about "the massacre of your children" without realizing what that MEANS.
If she had called someone and said she was going to massacre her children...
I'd be more likely to believe she didn't realize what was going on.

But she hid it all... until AFTER the kids were dead. She didn't slip up and tell anyone.
She knew what she was doing was wrong, she premeditated it and she hid it from everyone else.

You can certainly be mentally ill and still commit crimes with intent, premeditation and understanding.
If my mother ever kills someone I will be the first one in line to testify she knew it was wrong. :twocents:

The thing is though, we don't know if Julie understood what she was doing. It's despicable what she has done, but I don't know if she honestly had control over her actions. I'm not defending what she did, I'm horrified by it, but part of me thinks that had she had the correct medical and psychological help from professionals then this would never have happened. I'm not blaming dad either. He probably had no clue to the true extent of his wife's illness. My ex-husband often didn't know how confused, frightened and out of control I was.

I once drove my car from Newcastle to Edinburgh in Scotland in the middle of the night. When I got to Edinburgh I had no clue where I was, who I was, where I lived and ended up in a psych unit until I got well enough to get my senses back. However, despite being completely "mad" to the point I didn't know who I was, I still drove a car (manual transmission) up to Scotland, and parked it up fine. Something inside my head was still working.

I think she knew, I don't think she would actually qualify as insane as the law states for being 'not guilty by reason of insanity', however when it comes to mitigating circumstances to disqualify her from the death penalty I think she meets the criteria in spades, and therefore I think the DP should be off the table in this case.

Julie Schenecker Hearing
[video=youtube;5_JoJEg38TQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_JoJEg38TQ[/video]

Hi guys. Did anyonre found the crime scene pictures and the other documents?

I listened to a podcast last night with the author, Diane Fanning of Sleep My Darlings on the case. I have a sister who is, I believe mentally unstable and has sought help - just as Julie Schenecker did. The problem with my sister and Julie is that mental help professionals cannot hold your hand 24 hours a day (neither can your family as much as they would like to) and MAKE you take your medications, not mix them with others, and NOT CONTINUE TO ABUSE ALCOHOL AND DRUGS! If someone wants to get better, they have to take an active role in their treatment and recovery. I just do not get the impression Julie wanted to get well and to make her situation better. I just wish that someone would have taken those children away from her - seeing this.

As the mother of a preteen boy, I should never have opened this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seng Naw