GUILTY FL - Carlie Brucia, 11, Sarasota, 1 February 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Aperture, you said you're very familiar with Sarasota. Can you tell us what made the kidnapper choose that church lot to leave her body in?

I missed the first news reports when she was found, assume she was raped and strangled, correct? The church is so near I-75, but is it on a wooded lot, secluded? Homes nearby around it? On-Off ramps to the freeway?

Some reasons I ask: Unsolved Mysteries story, girl was abducted from her rural mailbox, and eventually found behind a white frame building, meeting house of some kind. I can't remember for sure if it was a church or a masonic hall. Anyone remember? They did catch that perp?

Anyone remember the story of a Tim Bindner in Ca. or somewhere on the W. coast who allegedly said he was helping to harvest kids for Jesus?

A TV minister used to mention "substitute victims", no clue what he was talking about, and this may so shock everyone that I'll probably get no replies, but here's a series of coincidences.

Isn't there a musician who worked for a Church of Christ college in Fla years ago whose middle name is Jane and her birthday the same as Carly's, Mar. 16, that a madman thinks is sexy, and I think tells that she has a past, as this one thought Carly was sexy, a street-walker maybe, all in his own head. We're saying these two men probably were connected. Yes, and maybe another one, who knew all this about Carly, and I can't imagine how. Unless studying school childrens' records or something like that? Any national agencies do that? Or "small factions"?

Anyone read the book Hunchback of Notre Dame? Didn't the military man kill Esmerelda because she was so beautiful he thought she was a bad woman, a temptation? The temptation was all in his own head, nothing she was doing. Also, another wild theory, maybe revolutions always have to have a Marie Antoinette, who was probably misquoted and talked about like today's political candidates. I don't know, just rambling. Can you just tell us more about the locale? I realize you're not there right now and can't send us any snapshots.

If the military man in Hunchback had met another woman named Esmerelda, might he have become enraged by the very name, and killed her instead? Anyone? She would have looked like a hooker to him too, in his mind?

Up2theminute said:
:blowkiss: Bless your heart, Eagle..I just love your conspiracy theories. :angel:

People,....this is zacc1, it's my first post here, and....if ya don't like it, you can kiss my a--....
a little girl was killed here. This should never have hapenened. But please don't make it even worse for her mom and dad.....
...Al these theories about who knew who.....who could've set up who...it's stupid.
A girl left for home.
A girl was abducted.
A Man was arrested
A body was found...............

Blame the judge??????? Go'head!!!!!! DO IT !!!!!
Sue him !!!!!!! PLEASES TRY IT !!!!!!!!
BUT to be honest,....it al happenened so fast,...she couldn't be saved.
Poor little kid...............

Have his penis cut off!!??????? THAT"S to easy for him!!!
Believe me,....Jailhouse justice will take care or this piece of *advertiser censored* !!!! He will be gone long before any X- date comes along !!!!!! I give him two years, at the max,....before he he is offed in prison.
I know he will be disposed of, in a .....well, hard manner.....
My thoughts and prayers to Carlie's family,....as well as all here who are feelin the loss.( Good hearts are hard to find)

My baby is due in three weeks.
AS Always,
Zacc1

Uh..zacc1..I was just joking around with Eagle because I know she does tend to lean towards the possibility of there being connections with other cases, conspiracies, what have you (and I usually tend not to be that way)..But she was serious in her post, I am sure..Her talk of the other connections was not to make light of this case or to make fun of anything. I'm not sure why you chose my reply to Eagle to write your first post that seems to have built up for quite some time and this talk of making things worse for her mom and dad. :confused: Perhaps you should read around the forum more often because neither of us write posts to make the parents of victims mad. If you didn't understand why I replied the way I did to Eagle then maybe you should have asked instead of coming across this upset in your "first" post. :silenced:

Hello Eagle1. Along I-75 in that area there is lots of dense vegetation with scrub forest, palmetto etc. that runs along the highway. Bee Ridge Road is one of the Sarasota entrance/exits to I-75 as is 72A which I believe is called Clark Road in that area. He would have had easy access to the highway if he wanted to blend in with the busy I-75 traffic. The area by the church as per mapquest does not look very populated. I have not been to that specific road before. An article in the Sarasota Herald Tribune today says Carlie was found in the woods behind the church "covered with brush." http://heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040207/NEWS/402070330/1269

The church has a website at www.centralchurchofchristsarasota.org. There are some photos of church grounds which look sort of open in some areas.

He had cocaine in his possession when arrested, so maybe he was high when he took her and just drove until he found a spot that looked safe to him. Who knows -- (awful thought) maybe he had even been to that church before and figured that time of day he would not run into anyone there.

May he now rot in the Manatee County Jail. Useless piece of garbage that he is.

I think when something like this happens it is much easier to understand if you think there is some kind of "plan" involved. We just don't want to believe these things can be so random and there is really not much that can be done. We want to think it could not happen to anyone we know and love,but the reality is most of the time these crimes, are crimes of opportunity. I believe Mr. Smith was driving around in his car and happened to see Carlie going that way and intercepted her. I had a sexual predator brother -in law and he would drive around the local college campus and I'm sure he was just waiting for the right moment. Fortunatley the campus police,noticed he was hanging around alittle too much and booted him for good. I don't think there was any set up. I think it could have been any young girl that Smith happened to see,that he felt was fair game,unfortunatly it was Carlie. There is nobody to blame here,only Smith. All the poor people involved here will be second guessing their actions that day,but the bottom line is,only one person needs to be beat up,Smith.

I think this man has been to the church grounds before, at least he knew of it and knew that at that time of day the church activities were over. I would almost say she was assulted where she was found. I read that they are looking for her pink backpack. he may have discarded the back pack along with her clothing into a dumpster at the church, I do hope it was checked for any evidence. this man knew what he was going to do that day and knew where it was going to happen. god bless little carlie, no telling what pain she had endure before it was all over.

I did a Google-AOL search and found Carly or Carlie was Baptist, that they had a memorial service, forgot to write down the URL, but that was about all the info that was there.

Thanks, Aperture, for all your information. I see the church doesn't have any 6 pm Sunday service, has one on Wed. night, and the wooded area is behind a chain link fence. Maybe drug dealers sometimes met there, knowing it would be private for them. And what do they mean by "maturing" members? That's not a Biblical term. site is under construction, it says.

Texana, were you just nervous about jumping in? Help us find out more about the victim's background, "victimology", okay? Could be interesting.
Sure this COULD have just happened IF there weren't some coincidences that are reminders of another "Jane", which can't be ignored. The principle said Carly was outstanding at school, a shining light. Would say that about any student that died, right? but was she ever a "star" in a play or something? Did she take music lessons? Ever in a pageant like JonBenet?

There's some kind of psychology lesson in the Hunchback story, which I may not be remembering correctly, and come to think of it, there's another example in literature, Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter. The town made her wear the letter A for adulterer because she had an illegit child, and it turned out the pastor was the father. He went nuts and howled at the moon if my memory serves. Another psych lesson about men scapegoating women?

They haven't told us anything yet about Carly's background. It's just as crazy to chalk everything up to chance circumstances as it is to go overboard about conspiracies w/out any clues like this name thing. I'm sure there's some other important coincidences we may never hear about in this case.

Wish Hillary could have told us more about that "vast conspiracy". For some strange reason, there's too much, too strong reaction when anyone even uses that word! Was it Shakespeare who said "Methinks they protest too much"? Current flap over intel failure, etc. is probably just coincidental politics, who knows?

Mind you I didn't say there's any gov't connection, and nobody but a nervous novice would think I was making fun of anyone. I was afraid of being thought way too serious.

Well I for one think the boyfriend of the sleepover mom needs to be looked at again. He was the inital suspect, he is on probation, he knows Joseph Smith, he is the only one that claims Carlie's mom gave her permission to walk home which she apparently had NEVER done which is why sleepover mom called to confirm it as soon as she was toldand finally he referred to Carlie in the past tense several times during his interview the night BEFORE her body was found. Carlie was abducted in an 11 minute window, could it have been random? sure, could it have been contrived by 2 drug using convicts? Possibly. If there is another guilty party, including the Judge, they need to be prosecuted. Joesph Smith may have acted alone, but maybe not. In any case the Judge was derelict in his duties and should be repremanded. I will trust FDLE to investigate the culprits of Carlie's abduction and murder however I can not trust them to hold the judge responsible. We the citizens have to do that.

SoloFlyer said:
The carwash owner siad the video equipment cost him $12,000 but it was worth every penny if it helped save one child. Funny how the world is so full of great people that really try to make this a better world and at the same time we have the scum like Joe Smith and the judge that thought the jail was too overcrowded to house hime BEFORE he killed someone (AND got caught).
It would be nice if we all send a thank you card to the owner of the carwash just to let him know that many many people appreciate his concern for the safety of our children as well as undertaking the expense of installing the video equipment.
Evie's Carwash
4735 Bee Ridge Road
Sarasota, FL 34233
I just put a few dollars in a card of thanks & will mail tomorrow as this is Sunday ,hope to help pay for that camara. Lannie

Anyone remember a Tim Bindner in Ca. or another Western state, who sued a city for accusing him, I think, allegedly said he was helping to harvest children for Jesus when he'd volunteer to help search?

Now I'm not saying I believe the following, but everything we can think of needs to be said, right? "What if" there's a heresy doctrine that children need to be harvested before they sin too much? Like some of you said, we hate to think a thing like this could happen, and even the police I heard are saying it seemed to be PLANNED. I agree about the boyfriend Ron somebody, that he certainly could have been setting Carly up, especially if he somehow thought it might be a good thing instead of a bad. Could it have been a message to the other "Jane", who the perps knew would find out about the coincidences of the middle name, b.d., etc.? She may have been offered an organist job?

And "what if" such a bizarre heresy had something to do with the killing of the Yates children, and the ones at the Hawaii military base years before?
Surely not. If "Maturing" Individuals disappears from the Fla church web site, does it mean the pastor was involved with some heretic? I've heard the expression, for a while several years ago, which seemed to die out, as maybe someone noticed it's not a scriptural expression. This is just beating-the-bushes, not necessarily even a momentary opinion. Think it's possible?

I'm open to other theories.

Justalurker said:
Has it been reported anywhere if Carlie'b body was nude or clothed? Any reports as to the cause of death?

The most recent article in our local paper (St. Petersburg, Florida) which is about 1 hour from Sarasota in included in the following link:

http://www.sptimes.com/

My heart is heavy after reading the article POCO posted... :(

:innocent: Carlie sweet baby rest in peace..!! :angel:

Mr. Smith die in HELL..!! and soon would be just fine..!! :behindbar you animal..!! :razz:

CARLA said:
My heart is heavy after reading the article POCO posted... :(

:innocent: Carlie sweet baby rest in peace..!! :angel:

Mr. Smith die in HELL..!! and soon would be just fine..!! :behindbar you animal..!! :razz:

Ya know, sometimes I feel that death for some of these people is too easy a way out -

:behindbar POCO,

You have a point. Why should he just die.. Maybe just a bit of what he dished out as part of his punishment, before death..!! :razz: I don't know what the answer is for these BEAST THAT PREY ON OUR CHILDREN..!! :behindbar

There were many red flags about Mr. Smith.. Why didn't the Jury believe the girl he beat over the head with a motorcycle helmet..!! :loser: Are we just not getting the meaning of such violent acts.. :confused: Are the laws to vague. My god why can't we call it what it is, and punish people accordingly..!! :furious: SORRY I'M JUST SO SAD, AND ANGRY AT THE SAME TIME.. :(

I JUST COULD SCREAM.. WE MUST DO WHAT IS NECESSARY TO STOP THESE BEAST.. :banghead:

Eagle1 said:
Anyone remember a Tim Bindner in Ca. or another Western state, who sued a city for accusing him, I think, allegedly said he was helping to harvest children for Jesus when he'd volunteer to help search?

Now I'm not saying I believe the following, but everything we can think of needs to be said, right? "What if" there's a heresy doctrine that children need to be harvested before they sin too much? Like some of you said, we hate to think a thing like this could happen, and even the police I heard are saying it seemed to be PLANNED. I agree about the boyfriend Ron somebody, that he certainly could have been setting Carly up, especially if he somehow thought it might be a good thing instead of a bad. Could it have been a message to the other "Jane", who the perps knew would find out about the coincidences of the middle name, b.d., etc.? She may have been offered an organist job?

And "what if" such a bizarre heresy had something to do with the killing of the Yates children, and the ones at the Hawaii military base years before?
Surely not. If "Maturing" Individuals disappears from the Fla church web site, does it mean the pastor was involved with some heretic? I've heard the expression, for a while several years ago, which seemed to die out, as maybe someone noticed it's not a scriptural expression. This is just beating-the-bushes, not necessarily even a momentary opinion. Think it's possible?

I'm open to other theories.

I forgot to answer this yesterday when you brought it up...Timothy Bindner was suspected in the disappearances of several young girls in California during the 1980s through early '90s. One of those cases was Amanda Campbell and he did sue her town (Fairfield, CA) for defamation of character (and won). Some of the other disappearances he was suspected of being involved in were those of Michaela Garecht, Amber Swartz-Garcia, Ilene Misheloff, and Tara Cossey and you can link to their cases through Amanda Campbell's page: http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/acampbell.html

Now..are you saying that you think this perp in Carlie's case was of the same mentality as Bindner? A copy cat perp?...?

You lost me on the "jane" connection and organist job.

:razz: He looks different..I was hoping to see black eyes and the like..!! :loser:

I JUST WANT TO REACH THROUGH MY COMPUTER AND RING HIS ANIMAL NECK..!! :razz:

Quote from the St. Petersburg Times article:
http://www.sptimes.com/2004/02/08/Tampabay/Suspect_s_borrowed_ca.shtml
Van Zandt said the roughly 300 miles Dinyes said were logged on the station wagon may explain why investigators are still asking for the public's help in tracking the vehicle.

"The question is, did he burn those miles up looking for a victim like a shark, looking for someone," Van Zandt said, "or did he find this victim and take her to a distant location and bring her back?"

I think it is unlikely that he took her somplace far away and then returned to within a couple of miles of her home (at a time when people would have been searching for her) to dump her body. I would guess that he kidnapped her, drove to the church where he raped and killed her, dumped her body AND THEN drove far out of town to cool off and get control of himself.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChriNBelusk0
Back