GUILTY FL - Carlie Brucia, 11, Sarasota, 1 February 2004

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't know the details yet, but a friend emailed that Carlie was strangled, after being raped. Evidently this info was just released this weekend.

I forgot to ask at Purgatory (Delphi forums) if it'd be okay to relay this info here, but they say all the people involved were on drugs, that Carlie's mom and Danielle's mom came to the house wanting money early that Sunday morning and Choquette said he gave them $30, so they all knew each other. Posters were speculating that the white-looking thing in Carlie's left hand in the video may have been drugs or something she was supposed to give Smith, rather than a cell phone. I don't know. You'd have to check at Purg for more details. It seems Kansler had moved out, and if I remember correctly, had taken the 7-yr old boy with him, and Carlie's mother took it all out on Carlie. Apologies if anything is incorrect in my memory, "hearsay", and check that source if interested.

Eagle1 said:
I forgot to ask at Purgatory (Delphi forums) if it'd be okay to relay this info here, but they say all the people involved were on drugs, that Carlie's mom and Danielle's mom came to the house wanting money early that Sunday morning and Choquette said he gave them $30, so they all knew each other. Posters were speculating that the white-looking thing in Carlie's left hand in the video may have been drugs or something she was supposed to give Smith, rather than a cell phone. I don't know. You'd have to check at Purg for more details. It seems Kansler had moved out, and if I remember correctly, had taken the 7-yr old boy with him, and Carlie's mother took it all out on Carlie. Apologies if anything is incorrect in my memory, "hearsay", and check that source if interested.

Huh? What? These is a leap by all means. What sources are they citing at this site? Do you have an url to access this site? I don't believe Carlie was transporting drugs for anyone. The other people (adults) involved, could be possible. Who's Danielle and her mom? Is choquette the drug dealer? I'm totally confused.

Carlie by no means looked like she was expecting or knew Smith in the video I saw (and I had the unpleasure of viewing it 1000 times thanks to the media/internet). She was an innocent young girl walking home when this PIG/Loser approached her.

Even if her mom/step dad, the friend she was staying with that day's parents were equally losers...SHE (IMHO) from all indications was just an innocent that happened to have the misfortune of being connected with these people.

BUt in all my conscience and from what I have read seems to me that her Mom, although probably alittle white trashy herself, love her daughter. The step dad was on his way to pick her up too...so that tells me they were somewhat responsible. It was just bad timing and VERY POOR JUDGEMENT on the part of the female and idiot boyfriend of the girl she was visiting that let her go.

The thing Carly was holding could have been anything. A piece of jewlry..kinda looked like she was trying to get it on her other wrist, a note from her friend, a hair clip she was messing with or a cell phone/beeper or something she was tryting to figure out. If you watch the video she tryed to move away from Smith when he was walking towards her, not to him. That implies to me she had no idea he was interested in her..just a passerbyer. Then when he "moved in for the kill" she just acted confused? That's all.

Bailey1 said:
Carlie by no means looked like she was expecting or knew Smith in the video I saw (and I had the unpleasure of viewing it 1000 times thanks to the media/internet). She was an innocent young girl walking home when this PIG/Loser approached her.

Even if her mom/step dad, the friend she was staying with that day's parents were equally losers...SHE (IMHO) from all indications was just an innocent that happened to have the misfortune of being connected with these people.

BUt in all my conscience and from what I have read seems to me that her Mom, although probably alittle white trashy herself, love her daughter. The step dad was on his way to pick her up too...so that tells me they were somewhat responsible. It was just bad timing and VERY POOR JUDGEMENT on the part of the female and idiot boyfriend of the girl she was visiting that let her go.

The thing Carly was holding could have been anything. A piece of jewlry..kinda looked like she was trying to get it on her other wrist, a note from her friend, a hair clip she was messing with or a cell phone/beeper or something she was tryting to figure out. If you watch the video she tryed to move away from Smith when he was walking towards her, not to him. That implies to me she had no idea he was interested in her..just a passerbyer. Then when he "moved in for the kill" she just acted confused? That's all.

great post Bailey. I agree with you, I watched the abduction video as well and in the slow motion one, it is very obvious Carlie is trying to sidestep this creep. She appears very much caught offguard.

I thought from the very beginning that the mother as well as the bf (maybe he is her stepfather...who really knows??) appeared as though they could be white trash . None the less, children do not get to choose the family/situations into which they are born. If these adults were in fact involved in nefarious type activity, it is still not the child's fault. Children should not have to pay for the sins of their parents. I find it hard to believe she would be delivering drugs to this man.

Bailey1, that's how I feel in viewing the video also. It was just like you described. Carlie was not expect Joe or anticipating his presence, anything could have been in her hand. The girlfriend, or the girls mother and boyfriend should know that answer. I don't know or have read any offical reporting on drugs involved. The only conclusion I feel is accurate is the mother and boyfriend of the girlfriend definately used poor poor judgement. one mile was an awful long walk, by oneself and at that age. Totally inappropriate.

Bailey, I agree with your post. Not to bash the mother of Carlie's girlfriend. Maybe she did not LET Carlie leave. Young people today, think they know best, maybe Carlie said she was going to walk and took off. I think I read somewhere(can not find it) that the friend's mother or boyfriend called Carlie's home and told them and they went to get her.

Plea entered in Brucia killing case

CNN) -- A plea of not guilty was entered Friday for Joseph P. Smith, who is charged with kidnapping and first-degree murder in the abduction and killing of an 11-year-old Sarasota, Florida, girl.

The pleas were entered by Smith's lawyer, Adam Tebrugge, after Sarasota Circuit Judge Andrew Owens rejected his motion to throw out the indictment.

Smith, 37, was not in court. He is charged with murder, kidnapping and capital sexual battery on a person younger than 12.

Tebrugge had argued that publicity could have prejudiced the grand jurors who said there was probable cause to pursue the case, but Owens rejected the motion, saying no evidence of such prejudice had been offered.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/03/12/videotaped.abduction/index.html

TALLAHASSEE - They avoided her name, referred to her case generically, and didn't hear from anyone directly involved.
But the specter of young slaying victim Carlie Brucia dominated a Senate hearing room Tuesday as state lawmakers, corrections and law enforcement officials, and legal experts considered strategies to try to prevent what happened to her from happening again.

Sen. Alex Villalobos, R-Miami, has introduced legislation to revamp Florida's probation system. Joseph P. Smith, the man charged with murdering Carlie, had repeatedly violated terms of his probation after his release from prison on drug charges but remained free.

*snip* for remainder of article, click link...

http://news.tbo.com/news/MGASOUAUMRD.html

Carlie's stepfather charged in attack

SARASOTA - Carlie Brucia's stepfather was arrested after authorities said he attacked Carlie's mother.

Steven Kansler, 36, was arrested on a domestic battery charge around 10:30 p.m. Monday night after Sarasota County Sheriff's Office deputies responded to a 911 call made by his wife, Susan Schorpen, according to the report. The report said Kansler choked and threw his wife around the house after he had been locked out of the home
.--->>

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/local/8590525.htm

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/news/local/10682576.htm

Nov. 7, 2005 trial set for mechanic charged in Carlie Brucia slaying...
SARASOTA, Fla. - A judge set a Nov. 7 trial date Wednesday for the unemployed mechanic accused in last year's slaying of an 11-year-old girl whose abduction was captured by a car wash surveillance camera.

The search for Carlie Brucia following her Feb. 1 disappearance captured the attention of the nation after the video was televised by news stations. Her body was found five days later on the grounds of a nearby church.

Joseph P. Smith, who was identified by numerous people as the tattooed man in the surveillance video pulling Carlie away by the arm, was charged with first-degree murder, kidnapping and sexual battery.

Attorneys in the death-penalty case of a man charged in the killing of 11-year-old Carlie Brucia are accusing each other of dragging their feet in turning over critical evidence.

But the attorneys say they're likely on schedule for a November 7th trial for Smith who is charged with kidnapping and sexual battery in the killing of Carlie Brucia.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=15182

In three motions filed this week, assistant public defender Adam Tebrugge asked a judge to prohibit prosecutors from asking potential jurors during jury selection about their attitudes toward the death penalty.

If a judge denies that motion, Tebrugge wrote, then he should consider appointing two juries for Smith's first-degree murder trial, which is scheduled to begin in November.

Tebrugge wants one jury to decide whether Smith is guilty. In the event Smith is found guilty, the attorney wants a separate jury to decide whether Smith should be put to death.

The defense attorney also motioned for Circuit Judge Andrew Owens to find Florida's death penalty unconstitutional.

He wants Owens to declare that death is not a possible penalty for Smith because the indictment does not provide enough "aggravating circumstances" that warrant a sentence greater than life in prison.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050630/NEWS/506300599/1006/SPORTS

mysteriew said:
He wants Owens to declare that death is not a possible penalty for Smith because the indictment does not provide enough "aggravating circumstances" that warrant a sentence greater than life in prison.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050630/NEWS/506300599/1006/SPORTS
WHAT??? This make me LIVID!!! I don't know what the burden of proof for "aggravating circumstances" BUT I do know that we have an adult male here who purposely kidnapped - sexually assaulted - RAPED - A CHILD AND THEN MURDERED HER!!!!
PLEASE!!!

Question.............Was it ever verified that Joesph knew Carlie's Mom and may have seen/met Carlie previously?
That was a HUGE rumor floating around and I never saw it verified.

The public defender in the murder case of 11-year-old Carlie Brucia wants a chance to show that suspect Joseph P. Smith was so intoxicated at the time of the crime that he can't be held responsible for his actions.

A 6-year-old Florida law bars the use of voluntary intoxication by alcohol or drugs as evidence of insanity or lack of a "specific intent" to commit a crime.

Smith's attorney is asking a judge to find that law unconstitutional, and allow evidence of Smith's intoxication into the trial.
http://www.newscoast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050805/NEWS/508050548/-1/CARLIE

The 39-year-old Smith -- believed to be the man captured on a Sarasota car wash surveillance video abducting Carlie on Feb. 1, 2004 -- was led into a small courtroom in the Manatee County jail, where he has been housed since shortly after his arrest. Officials said the hearing was conducted at the jail for security reasons.

Wearing a white, open-collared shirt and looking significantly heavier, Smith spoke only to give short answers to Circuit Judge Andrew Owens' questions about his right to appear at the hearings.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for Smith, a former auto mechanic who is charged with first-degree murder, kidnapping and capital sexual battery. Carlie's apparent abduction was recorded by the surveillance camera and the images beamed around the world by TV news stations.

Authorities said Smith confessed after being arrested on unrelated charges.

Those charges -- possession of the narcotic OxyContin and drug paraphernalia -- were the subject of Thursday's hearing as Smith's attorney, Assistant Public Defender Adam Tebrugge, sought to have evidence thrown out because of what he called an illegal search.

Smith is scheduled to stand trial on the drug charges Sept. 12, while his trial on the kidnapping and murder charges is set for Nov. 7.
http://www.wftv.com/news/4926227/detail.html

I can't find a link, I have tried, but I heard it on Fox News last night. I think it funny that he would plead Not Guilty, considering they have him on videotape.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required
Back