GUILTY FL - Carlie Brucia, 11, Sarasota, 1 February 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
First of all, let me remind you all that its against the TOS for anyone to bash the family members of the victims that we discuss. Having said that, it would be newsworthy to post this information and comment about it if its true. I think, though, that we're going to need to come up with a better source than the NATIONAL ENQUIRER :rolleyes: before anyone considers this the truth.

Jeana,

I seem to remember a while back that a poster had said that Carlie's mother was a drug addict. This is before the trial even started. If it's true, I have no idea. This was just coming from another poster and I can't even remember their name.

Perhaps it was an earlier post from myself that you are referring to Mrs. Mush. Even though I feel bad saying it, unfortunately it is true. Many things about Susan have been in the local Sarasota papers here about her and all the troubles she has had before and after Carlies death. I read the enquirer article myself yesterday and was just appalled like anyone else. To sum things up, Susan has had a drug problem for quite some time. Her son was taken away from her, I believe it was July of 2004. She was evicted from the house she lived in with carlie by her own mother who owned the home just this past summer due to drug activity there, including a stabbing just one day before the final eviction move out day. It is actually amazing how sweet and kind carlie was and at the time no one knew what her homelife was really like. The night carlie spent at her friends house before she died, her mom Susan and her friends mom Connie Arnold, were actually out till 6am and showed up back at Connies house to borrow $20 from her live in boarder. They claim to have been watching movies at susans all night, Jeepers creepers and such. In my opinion, and of course I could be wrong, but what mothers do you know that stay up till 6am watching scary teenage movies and then all of the sudden need to try and borrow money. Because of her history I would lean more towards she stayed up all night doing drugs... but getting back to the facts, SCHORPEN SUSAN NANCY 4/27/691995 CF 001616 NC6/19/95CONVERTED - SOLICITATION TO DELIVER COCAINE3/10/97ClosedSCHORPEN SUSAN NANCY 4/27/691999 MM 016376 NC11/12/99BATTERY-TOUCH OR STRIKE1/18/00Closed
KANSLER SUSAN 4/27/692003 MM 014369 NC9/29/03FRAUD INSUFF FUNDS CHECK-MAKE UTTER ISSUE UNDER 150 DOLLARS10/27/03CLOSED (CRIMINAL
Carlies stepfather Steven Kansler, had told authorities that just 4 months before Carlie died susan had dissapeared for 3 days and when she finally answered her cell phone he found out she was out doing crack and said she would return home soon. I could almost sympathize with her to start doing drugs after her daughter was murdered to try and ease the pain but the drug use started way before that as you can see from the criminal record search I posted above. Of course around town here, their are always rumours of other things but because I cannot verify that as fact I will not bother to write those. There is so much tragedy with this family. I feel so sorry for carlies little brother leif. He also shared a class with my younger daughter. If it turns out to be true about Carlie ashes and I fear it is true, Susan needs some very deep help. That is just despicable!!

Okay, the mom had (has) major problems. Her daughter was tortured, raped and murdered. I'm pretty tough on parents when something happens to the children, so I've got to tell you all that I'm conflicted in a major way.

PLEASE - UNTIL I'VE HAD TIME TO CONFER WITH THE OTHER MODS - NO MORE ABOUT MOM UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

THANKS YA'LL FOR UNDERSTANDING.

Okay, here's the verdict. Ya'll CAN report this sort of thing and comment on it, so long as there is no name calling of Carlie's mother and no unnecessary bashing. We know the woman has problems, but she's still a victim and we're not going to allow it.

Thanks!!

Jeana (DP) said:
Okay, here's the verdict. Ya'll CAN report this sort of thing and comment on it, so long as there is no name calling of Carlie's mother and no unnecessary bashing. We know the woman has problems, but she's still a victim and we're not going to allow it.

Thanks!!

You won't get a problem from me I saw her interviews. She was pained beyond composure in most instances. She may have a problem, we all have problems but to lose a child is the worst thing that can happen to a human being. This child was especially loving and an asset to her mother and the community and her mother's loss can't be measured by anything else. It just makes me cry.

I agree and cannot and do not want to even begin to imagine the pain and utter agony of the death of a child. I hope that the story about Carlies ashes turns out to not be true. My mother treasures the ashes of her dearly departed cocker spaniel more then that.

concernedperson said:
You won't get a problem from me I saw her interviews. She was pained beyond composure in most instances. She may have a problem, we all have problems but to lose a child is the worst thing that can happen to a human being. This child was especially loving and an asset to her mother and the community and her mother's loss can't be measured by anything else. It just makes me cry.
:blowkiss:
thank you- this is not about her mom----- it is about CARLIE-----
her mothers problems do NOT..I repeat DO NOT-- have anything to do with what that did to her......................

Well its still a very sad end to a very sad story, It appears that her ashes are lost such a shame , She really deserved them put in a wall with a plaque to remember her by.
Its a terrible thing that drugs do to people , Lets hope Carlie is her Miums guardian angel and will help her through all this.

Breehannah6 said:
Well its still a very sad end to a very sad story, It appears that her ashes are lost such a shame , She really deserved them put in a wall with a plaque to remember her by.
Its a terrible thing that drugs do to people , Lets hope Carlie is her Miums guardian angel and will help her through all this.

IF the article is true, it says someone gave them to her uncle, so I would guess he either kept them or gave them back to her mother.
The urn is NOT still in the crack house.

I was asked to post this reply from one of my friends that used to be a member of WS but who still reads.

Hey Laura,

Could you do me a small favor? I don't have a login at Websleuths
anymore but I still read there for a couple of cases. There is a thread
about Carlie Brucia that I've followed.
http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=908355#post908355
Right now at the end of this thread they are discussing an article in
the National Enquirer about Carlie's ashes being lost in a crack house
by her mother. I watched a special on Catherine Crier Live right after
the verdict where they walked through Carlie's memorial butterfly garden
park with her mother. Her mother said in that interview that Carlie's
ashes were spread there. I don't have a link to this since it was on
CC's show. If anyone else saw this though or was able to find it she
does say in it that Carlie's ashes are there. I remember this
specifically because I thought it was a strange place to put them. The
memorial park is where her body was found. I just remember thinking why
not pick a happier place to place her ashes? Some place Carlie loved to
be instead of where she was dumped like garbage? But her mother says
that she put them there because that was her final resting place.

Would you mind posting something about this there? It really bothers me
to think of Carlie being spoken of this way...left in a crack
house...ashes in an unknown location. I wish these tabloid rags would
leave these precious children alone...all to make a buck they spread
such a nasty story. It's sick. Of course I don't know what the truth
is either but I just know what I heard on CC's show and I can't imagine
Carlie's mom lying about that. She's done some bad things but she did
lose her daughter in an unimaginable way...I can't see her leaving her
precious baby's ashes like that. Again just my opinion.

j2mirish said:
:blowkiss:
thank you- this is not about her mom----- it is about CARLIE-----
her mothers problems do NOT..I repeat DO NOT-- have anything to do with what that did to her......................

That's true.
As far as the NE goes...it's hard to tell. They apparently get some stuff right.
I recall many stories they reported during Peterson were right, the Rush Limbaugh story too.......heck the NY Times has fired reporters who just made up stuff :banghead:

SewingDeb said:
From the Huff Crime Blog:

Susan Schorpen is missing, and a part of me just keeps thinking; can I blame her? Maybe she finally realized the depth of the void inside, and embraced it, and let herself become part of it. Maybe fading away was her idea of redemption.

Wow.. Yes, this woman has a problem, and yes, she is the mother of a murdered child. Can anyone really blame her for wanting to be "numb"? Perhaps this is the only way she knows how to deal with her feelings. I can not imagine being in her position, and I hope that she realizes that people do love her and care for her, and that she gets the help she desperately needs. I can only pray that she does not have the wish to "join" Carlie.

I really hope she took off on her own and didn't commit suicide or meet with foul play. When you are in the drug world, anything can happen to you. I hope she is found safe.

Update

Deputies Searching For Carlie Brucia's Mother NBC--1/10/06

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=5473&z=3&p=

CHARLOTTE COUNTY— The Charlotte County Sheriff's Office is searching for Carlie Brucia's mother, Susan Schorpen. Investigators believe she stole thousands of dollars from her own father.

Susan Schorpen appeared on television worldwide after her daughter, Carlie Brucia, was kidnapped and murdered.

She may now be on the run from Charlotte County deputies for allegedly stealing money from her father. More at link

The mother of Carlie Brucia, the girl whose abduction was captured by a car wash security camera two years ago, stole thousands in money and jewelry from her father last week and then disappeared, according to a sheriff's report and family members.
Susan Schorpen, who has battled drug addiction, cashed an $800 check Jan. 4 that was written by her father to pay for her stay in a residential drug treatment program, according to the Charlotte County Sheriff's Office. A crime victim's advocate with whom she had been staying said arrangements had been made for Schorpen to check into the program Jan. 3.
She hasn't been seen she cashed the check.
Schorpen's father, Egil Schorpen, and a brother, Paul Schorpen, filed a report with the Charlotte County Sheriff's Office on Monday accusing her of stealing cash, credit cards and a ring worth $5,000.
"We are going to have her arrested for what she did," Paul Schorpen told the Sarasota Herald-Tribune. "We're looking to help her before she kills herself or someone else."
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/local/13601494.htm

From Jan. 6
Stabbing at Schorpen house leads to lawsuit

A Sarasota woman and her son, who almost died after he was stabbed at the house where Carlie Brucia lived, are suing the state attorney's office for not prosecuting his attacker.

Prosecutors declined to prosecute Kenneth Cudzilo, 35, for aggravated battery, saying they can't prove the stabbing wasn't in self-defense.
http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060106/NEWS/601060390

Susan Schorpen's father wrote a blank check to pay for her stay at a residential drug treatment center. Instead of getting the help, Schorpen cashed the check to buy illegal drugs, family and friends say.

Schorpen, Carlie Brucia's mother, has been missing since last Tuesday. She hasn't been heard from since Jan. 4, when she cashed the check. The victim's advocate group where she had been staying said she left behind her mother's and Carlie's ashes as well as photos of Carlie.
http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060110/BREAKING/60110011

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=5473&z=3&p=

I'm Sorry, but who gives a drug addict a BLANK CHECK!?!?! :doh: He should have made the check out to the facility.. No Rehab, no Cash

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back