GUILTY FL - Chance Walsh, 7 wks, North Port, 7 Oct 2015 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a post up-thread about how nurses visit pre-term babies in their home? I have never heard of this. Is this something that happens in the U.S. or somewhere else?

I had a full term baby so obviously no one came to my house. He was born on a Tuesday. We went home on Friday. His first appointment with the pediatrician was the next day (Saturday.) Though the pediatrician did see him every day in the hospital too.

I think it's weird that they fell asleep at 8am and didn't wake until 1pm. When our son was that young, we would set alarms to make sure we didn't miss feedings.

Mine were all three weeks early via c-section, but we had no one visiting us in our home. (US here). They all had brief bouts of jaundice that were managed at home. We didn't need alarms, though -- ours were all up every 90 minutes demanding milk, lol.

Uh oh.

"Records obtained by NBC2 show that woman called to report Chance's mom was a "opiate user" and expressed concern about Chance's well-being.

"It was determined by that hotline councilor that, uh, she just believed most of it was hearsay," Carroll said.

"Speaking Thursday in front of the Senate Committee on Children and Families, Carroll admitted the called was "screened out," meaning the DCF worker didn't see a reason to follow up.

"We have been in the process of trying to review why that call wasn't accepted. We know it should've been."

Carroll admitted he's since listened to that call, and determined it met all the qualifications for a credible tip.

"In the end I have one person, who's listening to a call, and has to make a judgment call ... and in this case that judgment turned out not to be correct."

In a statement sent to NBC2, Carroll said his agency has started an internal review of the case. He did not put a timeline on when that review will be completed.

"It certainly met the metrics and should have resulted in a call where somebody went to the hospital to check."

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/30329886/dcf-admits-mistakes-made-in-chance-walsh-case

They should have gone to check they knew exactly where she was at the time.

Does anyone know if there is a timeline for the purchase of the sports car? If it was purchased prior to the confessed murder, does that mean pre-meditation and therefore, making them eligible for death penalty?

JMO but I think it was purchased just before they took off.

I live in IL and never heard of such a thing?!?! I had my child full-term, c-section and no nurse visit at all ... and we had great insurance at the time. Not sure if this is in certain areas maybe??? JMO

Maybe it has to do with who your insurer is. At that time I was being covered by allkids via Medicaid/medical card so maybe that had something to do with it.

Now that I think of it my first child was born under private insurance and there was no visiting nurse that time. But with my last two there were.

When she said "I killed my baby."
I think she thought she rolled over on him in the bed. They went to sleep with the baby in the bed....(not a fan of baby in bed with parents).
I think they then placed him on the floor when they called 911. Heck maybe they tried CPR.
I don't think this woman had one clue on how to take care of a baby and He couldn't take care of anyone even himself.
This was a tragedy in the making! the signs were all there.
His struggles with Alcohol
their drug abuse
Alienation of family and friends
loss of parental rights
One dead Baby
fire
numerous relocations
This list is way to long...

These babies didn't have a chance!
T

BBM

Maybe...

Or maybe she knew she was a crappy mother and he was a crappy father. Maybe she realized the baby was not well cared for and that is what caused his infection and death.

Has LE been quiet since both JW and KB are in custody? Or have I just not been seeing articles? Is it going to be this quiet until their next court date?

It's a terrible shame that the tip to child services didn't get followed up on. It turns my stomach to think that possibly things could have been different for Chance if he'd been checked on. Sadly, it may not have made any difference in the long run. We are always reading stories about missing/dead/abused kids whose families had cases with child/family services. But still, it seems that at a minimum, any name mentioned in a call should be run through a computerized check to see if there were prior issues/cases. I know that people will call for stupid reasons. Years ago, when I lived in military housing, we had a neighbor who called on everyone. We all knew who it was. She called and reported my other neighbor's child wasn't being fed properly (because the mom formula fed instead of breastfeeding). They showed up and found a nice plump baby. She reported another baby being left unattended, because another neighbor of mine sat on the front porch (with a baby monitor) and talked with neighbors while the baby was sleeping in his crib. Then, I ran into the caller at the commissary one day when my daughter had a mark on her face (she'd started walking at 8 months and tended to tip over, lol. This time she'd fallen over and banged her cheekbone on a toy). I thought to myself, "here it comes, I'm going to be the next one with a visit from child services." Sure enough - a day or two later, they were knocking on the door. The lady looked around the house, saw the baby-proofing and the toys, looked at my daughter who was nice and plump and healthy, with her one little mark on her face, and determined there was no issue. I suspect they were tired of coming to that same street. The neighbor in question had called to report other neighbors, but I don't recall all the reasons. Nobody in our little cul-de-sac was ever found to be neglecting or abusing kids. And, strangely, they never visited that ONE home. But I digress.... point is that I know people call in stupid things all the time. It's just such a shame for poor Chance that the call about him wasn't followed up on. )-:

They should have gone to check they knew exactly where she was at the time.
My heart goes out to the person that messed this up. I'd find out hard to live with myself, knowing I could've prevented his death.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

My heart goes out to the person that messed this up. I'd find out hard to live with myself, knowing I could've prevented his death.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

I think every report should be reviewed by 2 persons and then set into action by supervisor.

I had 4 full term pregnancies and left the hospital each time within 14 hrs. of uncomplicated birth. I didn't have any in home care or visits from a nurse, neither have any of my friends or aquaintences. I live in the US, in FL. If you are one of the few who's insurance would pay for a doula then that scenario would most likely have an in home post natal visit. If insurance does not pay for a doula than one would pay out of pocket and thus recieve the post natal in home visit. MOO :twocents:

I think every report should be reviewed by 2 persons and then set into action by supervisor.

In the report the supervisor is listed on the top portion of the report and it gives the time as 4:57 pm on the 28th, and on the bottom portions it list a counselor that didn't' make any phone calls, or she didn't list them on the form and at 5:44 - forty five minutes later they sign off as not reaching a level to be concerned, even though the supervisor had checked off previous contact by CPS, and had the in home visit checked off. It seems like the counselor failed to take the time to do anything for Chance.

I had 4 full term pregnancies and left the hospital each time within 14 hrs. of uncomplicated birth. I didn't have any in home care or visits from a nurse, neither have any of my friends or aquaintences. I live in the US, in FL. If you are one of the few who's insurance would pay for a doula then that scenario would most likely have an in home post natal visit. If insurance does not pay for a doula than one would pay out of pocket and thus recieve the post natal in home visit. MOO :twocents:

I'm in PA, my insurance never covered a doula. All of my visits were at the hospital or birthing center except for my first post partum visit, which was at home. I don't know if it's regional or my insurance, or what exactly, however, I don't think it says anything specific about mother of our victim.

I had mine almost 18 years ago. At the time my insurance was an HMO which was big on preventative health so included in my insurance was a one-time nurse visit . My daughter was small for date though, full term at 5 1/2 pounds. I think the home nurse was more common back then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it has to do with who your insurer is. At that time I was being covered by allkids via Medicaid/medical card so maybe that had something to do with it.

Now that I think of it my first child was born under private insurance and there was no visiting nurse that time. But with my last two there were.

Well, I have to say, that's an incredible benefit if that's the case. I had/have employer insurance, and it would have been super nice to have a nurse visiting in my home.

In regards to the tip regarding KB and opiate usage. I find that sometimes workers become hardened and cold when they work in certain fields (not all workers but some so please do not take offense to my comment). Seeing so many horrific things and fielding so many different calls can desensitize a person and thus make them less capable of doing their job to standard. Complacency is not something you want to see in workers who are responsible for the well being of others. I work in the Human Services Field, I care for others and also have a duty to report. Even if I know an accusation is not accurate it is my responsibility to report not question. I have done so multiple times because the one time I think "oh yeah right!" could be the time I am wrong regarding the accusation. I have called 9-1-1 for medical care and it has turned out to be nothing. I would rather call a million times than be wrong that one time. The day I become complacent and cold is the day I need to find another field to work in. I am not saying this is the case with the worker but I feel it might be. In Ontario Children's Aid checks out every tip, while it is annoying because there are a lot of times they show up at people's houses over BS but it is better to check than to ignore.

when I was pregnant with my 2 year old, I filled out the intake form at my first pre natal and I guess I drank more often than they were comfortable with pre pregnancy and that I had drank a little before finding out I was pregnant. I had to talk to a social worker a few times. I knew I was not drinking and that the few drinks I had prior to 5 weeks would not affect the baby so I just went ahead and did as they asked.

its a shame same wasn't done to this person.

It has been a really really long time since I have posted. So long, in fact, that when I posted my very last post, I was not a mother. Now...I have two step-sons (7yo and 10 yo) and a wonderful, crazy, hilarious 19 month old.
I am bi-polar with some severe anxiety thrown in the diagnosis. When I gave birth to Silas, the social worker at the hospital was ALL over me. She was in my room twice a day, checking on me and how I was and looking for anything that could tinker a red flag. I am thankful for that...but just dismayed that this didn't happen to KB...I would think that even with something as traumatic as losing a child would make a social worker or someone think that they needed to pay attention...
So.
This makes me incredibly sad.
I'm gonna go let Silas dump the dogs water bowl over his head for kicks. He thinks it is the best thing to happen in his life since he saw avocados, trucks and heard music.

How many newborn babies sleep that long? How could they sleep through a baby crying in the same bed with them? At that point he should be drinking 2 - 3 ounces two about every two hours.

I wonder how any bottles were ready and prepared in the refrigerator, did LE even bother to check for his needs, like clean diapers and ointment, antibiotics?
Did they just take the word of 2 idiots? NEGLECT! JMOO

Uh oh.

"Records obtained by NBC2 show that woman called to report Chance's mom was a "opiate user" and expressed concern about Chance's well-being.

"It was determined by that hotline councilor that, uh, she just believed most of it was hearsay," Carroll said.

"Speaking Thursday in front of the Senate Committee on Children and Families, Carroll admitted the called was "screened out," meaning the DCF worker didn't see a reason to follow up.

"We have been in the process of trying to review why that call wasn't accepted. We know it should've been."

Carroll admitted he's since listened to that call, and determined it met all the qualifications for a credible tip.

"In the end I have one person, who's listening to a call, and has to make a judgment call ... and in this case that judgment turned out not to be correct."

In a statement sent to NBC2, Carroll said his agency has started an internal review of the case. He did not put a timeline on when that review will be completed.

"It certainly met the metrics and should have resulted in a call where somebody went to the hospital to check."

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/30329886/dcf-admits-mistakes-made-in-chance-walsh-case

Sure hope it's longer than forty five minutes they gave to Chance when he needed it.

Also on the baby visit, it let's the doctor know that the baby is having it's needs met. That there is a safe place to sleep for a newborn, that breastfeeding or formula are meeting the baby's needs.

My grandson mother had a visit to check on him. He was born six weeks early, in a home that was nasty. He kept forgetting to breath and after three weeks in the icu he came home with me and an apena monitor. When his mother had to take care of him she'd take the monitor off because he didn't need it. One time she told me about him not breathing and I asked if she2q@ followed the poster of instruction if he stopped breathing, and she said no. She didn't say his name, touch him, or call 911 and do cpr. She said he started breathing again in a few minutes. She also shook him in front of us and her mother when he was seven weeks old. Her mother gave a nervous laugh. We wern't very happy when he went for a visit.

And the car was is Pontiac Grand am or a a sunfire like Casey's. The backseat could hold a carseat. Not sure when they bought it before or after Chance was born, but there are two vehicles in the driveway in the photo of Chance looking over someone's shoulder. IIIRC it's white car has a blue tarp over the windshield.

they said it was "botched circ" but when I had my older boys, I had to carefully clean the area and put a and d ointment on it until the ring fell off. I just don't see her keeping the little tushy and jewels clean to begin with.

I wonder if Duane got a kidney infection from neglect, and they just got "lucky" that he had it at the time when he died. When my daughter was a toddler, she put toys in her pullup for safekeeping (like on Rugrats, lol). It drove me nuts! But, from having toys floating around in her pullup (and all the outside germies they had), she got urinary tract infections a few times. I know kids can get UTIs without neglect (or toys in their pullups), but I wonder if Duane's living conditions and care (lack of care) created the perfect storm for him to end up with this kidney infection that just happened to coincide with the actual unnoticed cause of death. ?? Just speculation.

I bet he was crying in pain and they pulled the little smush the passy in the mouth with force trick :(

I read an article which described Duane's condition when EMT arrived at the home. He was lying on the floor between the door and the wall (???), and blood was coming from his nose and mouth. I believe it said that she had taken him to the doctor, and the doctor said he was all right. I can't recall all of the details. It was difficult to read. At the time I'd been reading other articles, and already was upset. So I closed the tab quickly. If anyone comes across that article, please post the link.

she should "e-meet" joypath too.

I have to add...Charlestongal is my new go to in medical related cases! Charleston, you really should think of becoming verified! Your information in this case is not only spot on, but validated by those who are personally verified by me. :cheerful:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Name Here