GUILTY FL - Charles Kinsey, autistic caregiver, North Miami, July 2016 -guilty of misdemeanor

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
UBM - imo, that will be the 'out' for this officer.

And no assessment on arrival? Sorely missing imo. The situation was in full view for the officer(s) according to the video - and the audio.

The victim will be paid off - and that is likely, imo, to be the end of it as far as justice is concerned. Justice should be more concerned - for the next time.

does anyone ,in this instance, know, can they say we will give you taxpayer money in EXCHANGE for you not pressing charges?? That seems like civil stuff -- can public servants do that??

This is just crazy. How is it better to have attempted to shoot an unarmed autistic man.
I know. I'm so sick over this!! It's appalling and frankly, terrifying. I'm definitely seeing a "shoot first, ask questions later," kind of pattern with some law enforcement. It's HIGHLY problematic!
I'm just so glad both men lived, there's footage, and there's no record to dig up for people to try to JUSTIFY this. In my opinion, no matter how you look at it, this is just clucking wrong. It's a bad shoot by an officer who should have never been given a badge.

This incident has made me ill......a black man with his hands up is shot......a white man with a toy of some type is sitting there.
Neither of them should have received any injury.
When will we learn to talk to each other? and to listen to each other?
I guess I could go on but I am afraid I would be on time out so quickly.
Is this what it is like to be black in America?

or hispanic, gay, muslim. basically anything other than preferably white male, with no accents!! Sad but true, cell phones are sadly giving the world an education about how bad it has been for so long.

What stuns me is they keep doing it ---even when they know they are being filmed ---that is just so strange to me

Statement from officer and his attorney here. Not saying I agree just passing it along ;)

The officer behind the shooting, who has been placed on administrative leave, issued a statement through the police chief Thursday. “I took this job to save lives and help people,” the statement said. “I did what I had to do in a split second to accomplish that and hate to hear others paint me as something I am not.”

more at link http://time.com/4417960/police-shoo...paign=Feed: time/topstories TIME: Top Stories

Statement from officer and his attorney here. Not saying I agree just passing it along ;)

The officer behind the shooting, who has been placed on administrative leave, issued a statement through the police chief Thursday. “I took this job to save lives and help people,” the statement said. “I did what I had to do in a split second to accomplish that and hate to hear others paint me as something I am not.”

more at link http://time.com/4417960/police-shoo...paign=Feed: time/topstories TIME: Top Stories

He is flat wrong. He did not have to shoot at all. What he could have/should have done is first properly assess the situation. If he had done that then he would have put his gun away and go over to calm everyone down and have a peaceful ending.

It really bothers me he still thinks he did things right. All the more reason some quick legal action needs to be taken against this officer.

or hispanic, gay, muslim. basically anything other than preferably white male, with no accents!! Sad but true, cell phones are sadly giving the world an education about how bad it has been for so long.

What stuns me is they keep doing it ---even when they know they are being filmed ---that is just so strange to me

You are so right Cariis. Cell phones are opening the public eyes to what has been going on for a long time.

All those incidents of "justified shootings" from LE that I used to always assume were valid I now am questioning every single one of them. I no longer am ever going to assume things were justified just because they said so.

This is absolutely outrageous! Police throughout the country need retraining at the very least. Heads need to roll, and they all need to just stop it, I hope the cop is prosecuted and loses his badge.

Attorney of man shot by North Miami police says city wants to settle issue quickly

"There has been a discussion of a potential settlement, (and) they want to resolve it relatively fast in good faith to let the community know that they take these things seriously, but I'm not at liberty to discuss the terms of the settlement or what we think a potential settlement will be at this point," Napoleon said.

The owner of the group home, Clinton Bower, told Local 10 News that the autistic man, who is nonverbal, was handcuffed and detained by police for hours.

He said his client had to be hospitalized after returning from police custody and said officers confiscated his toy truck as evidence.

Bower called Kinsey a hero and said he did everything right in following police's orders and making sure his client was OK.

Bower said he offered North Miami police training on how to deal with people with disabilities two years ago after police stunned another client with a Taser. He said the department never took him up on his offer.

I can't believe they took his truck.

Hey Blue there was a video I saw last night with a witness to the whole thing, beginning to end. Now I can't find it :( Anyhow he stated that it really did look like the autistic man was holding a gun, not a truck. Not that he was doubting it was a truck but just telling how it looked. There is no excuse IMO for what happened but if the officers did think they were seeing a gun that would fall in line with what you said. I will try to find that video and post a link.

Quoting myself. I found the article that originally had the video but the video has been removed. Here's a quote from the witness with link.

Witness Thomas Matthews lives nearby and said he saw the shooting unfold. “The guy was yelling, ‘Help me. Help me.’ And all of a sudden, three shots were fired. Boom, boom, boom,” he said.

A surveillance video from a nearby business captured the scene as North Miami Beach Police arrived in the area. Matthews said Kinsey was shot 15 minutes after police arrived.

“Police thought the guy had a weapon, but he had a toy because he was autistic,” Matthews said. “The view of the way he was holding it, it looked like a gun, but it was a toy.”

http://wsvn.com/news/local/police-investigate-shooting-in-north-miami-1-injured/

It is confirmed. It came from the Chief. Did you not watch the presser I posted upthread? :confused:

And yes, I was extremely pleased about the outcome in New York today.

I will also add that I was not at all impressed with the new Chief from North Miami during that presser.

Saw something that was on fb - unable to view that.

Yeah, what was THAT about? It makes zero sense! By then they understood the situation. Did they think the victim was going to attack them with his bare hands?

Again! Hi Blue what is so wierd, they were out in the open - they had to see someone recording. After the oppsss not rendering first aid when its on camera is just indifferent? dumb? arragent? I dont know, but if I knew I just go filmed making a pretty darn big error, I would not just not get help for that long.

AM I making sense here?

It is biazire just in terms of human behavior, and if there is any truth to he answered he had no idea why he shot him welll ..........it might be retirement time - no judgement, no assessment skills, cant aim,and does not know why he pulled a trigger..........................................
Then why couldn't police tell that the patient was autistic or diminished capacity of some kind, simply by observing? And why didn't the police believe the behavioral therapist when he identified himself and his patient? It sounds like the cop that fired was scared and did not use his best judgement. It bothers me that there were 2 officers there and this happened. So frustratingly awful.

Where is General Honore when we need him? He told the National Guard to put their weapons down during Katrina as it was not what the people needed.

I totally remember that moment!!! Loved it - he was livid!!

does anyone ,in this instance, know, can they say we will give you taxpayer money in EXCHANGE for you not pressing charges?? That seems like civil stuff -- can public servants do that??

That is exactly what will happen. If this shooting victim accepts taxpayer $$ for being shot by this officer - he can't then try and press any charges - it's not even up to this victim what charges might be laid imo. The justice system should do that - unlikely imo if he accepts taxpayer $$.

Cop walks. Or gets transferred. Or moves on to a security position. And people should be happy?

What else would he say at this point?

Quoting myself. I found the article that originally had the video but the video has been removed. Here's a quote from the witness with link.

Witness Thomas Matthews lives nearby and said he saw the shooting unfold. “The guy was yelling, ‘Help me. Help me.’ And all of a sudden, three shots were fired. Boom, boom, boom,” he said.

A surveillance video from a nearby business captured the scene as North Miami Beach Police arrived in the area. Matthews said Kinsey was shot 15 minutes after police arrived.

“Police thought the guy had a weapon, but he had a toy because he was autistic,” Matthews said. “The view of the way he was holding it, it looked like a gun, but it was a toy.”

http://wsvn.com/news/local/police-investigate-shooting-in-north-miami-1-injured/

UBM - after 15 minutes LE thought there was a gun? Don't buy that one at all.

Here it is on youtube from WSVN:
[video=youtube;xbeNMae6V7M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbeNMae6V7M[/video]
Starts at 2:18.

Transcript from the 3:00 mark -

The law requires us to gather every fact and resolve every question before making a balanced judgement. This is a process dictated by law ...

When does that mandate start? On scene? After the fact? Both?

Unfortunately this happens way too often here in the US. And from what I have seen it doesn't matter what color the person is. I've read about police showing up for a call about someone wanting to commit suicide and somehow they end up shot by LE. I have seen a young teen get his head slammed against brick wall for no apparent reason. I have seen my own daughter arrested for assaulting an officer when she really just defended herself from an abusive cop. (guess I'm lucky she didn't get shot) It happens, and they far too often get away with the abusive behavior. I totally respect most LE and feel they deserve all the respect in the world, but there are the few who make them look really bad. Those are the ones who need to lose their badges and be held responsible for their actions. IMO.
You are correct about not having anything to do with the color of the person. When I was a teen growing up in Hawaii in the early 80's, there was a cop in our neighborhood (who happened to be Hawaiian) that would rough up anyone that he would come across that was not in school during school hours regardless of color. Although he never shot me he did punch me in the face and kicked me in the stomache when I was on the ground. My friends and I were deathly afraid of this guy.Sometimes there are just bad cops. I am not inferring that this current police officer is bad, just providing perspective. Not everything is about race.

This is just crazy. How is it better to have attempted to shoot an unarmed autistic man.

Because they can't admit that they shot a guy that was viewed as more dangerous than the other? IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yoshibee
Back