GUILTY FL - Charles Kinsey, autistic caregiver, North Miami, July 2016 -guilty of misdemeanor

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is scary but it's also mind-boggling!

"They cuff my hands and they flip me over. And I'm saying, 'sir, why did you shoot me?' and his words to me, he said, 'I don't know,'" Kinsey said.

I don't know? My guess is they're all on edge after the recent police shootings (shootings of police I mean). You can't be uncertain or jittery when you've got a loaded weapon in your hand.

Thank god Kinsey is alive.

I think there's video from the scene somewhere.

(Thank you for starting the thread SweetCaroline. When I'm on my phone it takes four or five steps and the app often times out so none of it posts. Frustrating!)

UBM

A reminder of what the officer said after the shooting, according to the victim. I believe the victim.

You are so correct ‼️

Hope everyone has seen Kinsey describe what happened from his bedside in the hospital. I was just in shock.

The video captured alone will incriminate him, I think. The poor autistic boy/man just sitting there with a toy truck. He didn't understand what was going on 😭

On tv the PO was asked(from unknown source)why he shot the innocent civilian, he said "I don't know". God help him. I don't have a link sorry, but will try to find one.

As of this time I hope the LE is sitting in jail, because imo he is guilty as h*ll. Mr Kinsey followed the instructions when approached by any LE.

I will be interested to see how this plays out, I'm sad it happened but thankful everyone is alive

Until I hear more(which I think I've seen and heard enough)I will try to keep an open mind. However, as it has been stated before there are good people and bad people 😡

All JMHO 🐮

Whew finally found the link where I read the story

http://www.local10.com/news/video-s...ith-his-hands-up-before-being-shot-by-police-

This might be a situation where better community policing would help. With community policing, the officers would have been familiar with the neighborhood, would have known there was a home for mentally impaired adults there, might even be familiar with the residents and the employees who worked there.

If they were in the community every day, they would have recognized the autistic man and his caregiver.

I really hope LE starts moving in this direction. It makes so much difference when police know the people and businesses in their precinct, etc.

This!

In a group home I worked in a long time ago there was a resident who at times would require hospitalisation for one of her conditions and the only way she would go is if she was physically forced to, and the only people with the authority to do that (physically take her to the hospital) were the Police. The local police were familiar with her and with the group home and were at all times sensitive and caring. Police need to be part of the community they serve, not apart from and above it.

I think there is a massive problem with how the Police are working with their communities in the US and it's not as simple as gun control or gun culture.

Side note as the mother of an autistic boy this terrifies me. At 4 this doesn't affect me directly but one day if he doesn't become independent, once we're gone he might be an adult in the care of strangers. It scares me that people will be afraid of him and misunderstand him. Education of all people, not just cops, about autism and other developmental delays is important as well.

Nancy Grace is covering this tonight, heartbreaking 😭

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida...med-caregiver-of-autistic-man-victim-account/

North Miami Police told CBS News they received a 911 call Monday about an armed man who was threatening suicide. But instead, they encountered Charles Kinsey and his patient.
The video shows Kinsey laying in the middle of a North Miami street, trying to coax his patient back to a mental health center from where he wandered, reports CBS News correspondent Vinita Nair. Kinsey was shot, but survived.

The attacks on police are sickening and I feel for them and their families but My God! what is going on with police opening fire on citizens these days? I do not doubt they are jittery, fearful of possible intentions of those involved in calls but just think back a bit and you have to admit that some of this was going on even before police became targets of crazies wanting revenge.

It has to stop. And if they are fearful of what awaits them at each call, they need to find another line of work. Police work is very dangerous and there has always been the chance of injury or death in the line of duty--it is not a job for everyone and those who are afraid should find other options because you can't just gun down citizens first and ask questions later.

You know what I think might go a long way to settling everything down - (although I guess it would take six years with congress!!) is to make it mandatroy that an outside "entity" investigate (always) any "concerns"

I can not help but beleive the escalation we are seeing is because they are internal invetigations, which in our climate, is inflamatroy as evidenced by the last month.

It really is getting bad. I am not talking about like in the near future, but it is eroding the younger generations faith in everything. moo

You know what I think might go a long way to settling everything down - (although I guess it would take six years with congress!!) is to make it mandatroy that an outside "entity" investigate (always) any "concerns"

I can not help but beleive the escalation we are seeing is because they are internal invetigations, which in our climate, is inflamatroy as evidenced by the last month.

It really is getting bad. I am not talking about like in the near future, but it is eroding the younger generations faith in everything. moo

This is a suggestion a lot of people are making. I think it's important too.

The attacks on police are sickening and I feel for them and their families but My God! what is going on with police opening fire on citizens these days? I do not doubt they are jittery, fearful of possible intentions of those involved in calls but just think back a bit and you have to admit that some of this was going on even before police became targets of crazies wanting revenge.

It has to stop. And if they are fearful of what awaits them at each call, they need to find another line of work. Police work is very dangerous and there has always been the chance of injury or death in the line of duty--it is not a job for everyone and those who are afraid should find other options because you can't just gun down citizens first and ask questions later.

Great post especially going on for decades- decades moo, not really an opinion- personal experince!!

That is exactly what will happen. If this shooting victim accepts taxpayer $$ for being shot by this officer - he can't then try and press any charges - it's not even up to this victim what charges might be laid imo. The justice system should do that - unlikely imo if he accepts taxpayer $$.

Cop walks. Or gets transferred. Or moves on to a security position. And people should be happy?

thats a bummer that it could happen like that-- if I had money, and was in that place I would not take a settlement. Noone can just be shooting people. <modsnip> This guy is wrong moo

<modsnip>

Here it is on youtube from WSVN:
[video=youtube;xbeNMae6V7M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbeNMae6V7M[/video]
Starts at 2:18.

Guys -Go back to the 4:00 mark on this video! Read the entire sentence on the blue background - focus on the wording of the last 10 words of the statement - thats the catch - all

Quite a statement!

IMO heart sank!

I feel bad for the Hispanic officer that thought he had to save a life...and was wrong. I bet he wishes he was perfect like the many that are judging him. I have made plenty of mistakes in my life, I'm glad I'm not perfect. It would be too hard to sit in judgment on people every day. It would be too tiring.

Of course I feel terrible for Mr. Kinsey too. He seems like a really nice man. Like I said in an earlier post, I hope he gets lots and lots of money for his ordeal.

As a side note, why were they sitting in the middle of the road anyway? Mr. Kinsey is an autistic man's caregiver and I don't find it too safe to be in the middle of the road with someone I'm caring for.

Katherine Fernandez Rundue, Miami-Dade State Attorney statement from the video:

“We will conduct our own investigation and review all the evidence to determine
whether the actions of the shooting officer constitute a criminal act that can be proven
beyond and to the exclusion of every reasonable doubt.”​

http://wsvn.com/news/local/police-investigate-shooting-in-north-miami-1-injured/
Witness Thomas Matthews lives nearby and said he saw the shooting unfold. “The guy was yelling, ‘Help me. Help me.’ And all of a sudden, three shots were fired. Boom, boom, boom,” he said
Was Kinsey the one yelling this?

I would think it was the pt. Just a guess here. Those suffering with Autism can get "stuck". Best way to think about it is like a record (old days - black vinyl things with music !) where the needle sticks, and they just will repeat and repeat and repeat. It can become a loop.

It can be like:

"That is good dont you think, you think that is good. "That is good dont you think you think that is good ?"

"That is good dont you think?" Over and over and over

In a lot of instances, it is better not to "answer", just say yes. They are typically not following along, and when in repeative mode, it is ideal not to really get into it - just let them repeat, less stress for them.

Taking the toy away can be very dangeroues for him. They get very attached to some objects. They must have order, generally/ Like the shirts have to be in a certain place, in a certain order - or they can get completly overwhelmed. Completly.

He was doing some of the rocking on the sidewalk, and if you watch him - has absolutly no context of what is going on around him. He is looking around , rocking a bit, and goes right back to the toy truck.

Can get fixated. Totally disconnected from surroundings - it just does not happen. The tech, if you notice, did not try to explain anything, he gave simple directions lie down, lie down,thats it-- hoping that it might register.

In some instances, food on a plate, that is not in a certain place, on the plate, all the time, exact, can cause intense discomfort for the autistic individual. I am confident the health aid was mortified, if something triggered the man he could have jumped up start screaming yelling tantrum jumping all sorts of stuff, if there is a sudden onset of stimuli.

I truly hope the truck was not one of his "serious" items. But he took it with him when he left his safe space so .................................giving him "another" truck, might not fly - at all, it must be that truck.

Sad story

That is exactly what will happen. If this shooting victim accepts taxpayer $$ for being shot by this officer - he can't then try and press any charges - it's not even up to this victim what charges might be laid imo. The justice system should do that - unlikely imo if he accepts taxpayer $$.

Cop walks. Or gets transferred. Or moves on to a security position. And people should be happy?

The guy shot at the gas station in SC (I think it was there) received $285k, the officer was immediately fired, and the officer has been charged with assault and battery.

As a side note, why were they sitting in the middle of the road anyway? Mr. Kinsey is an autistic man's caregiver and I don't find it too safe to be in the middle of the road with someone I'm caring for.

Some people with autism have a tendency to wander. Many have no sense of danger or fear about things like roads, railway tracks, water etc that could harm them and are instead afraid of common everyday things that do not frighten neurotypical people. My son did not want to leave therapy the other day and it took me about 20 minutes to get him from the building to my car parked about 500 metres away - he's only four but he's too big and strong for me to pick up if he's having a meltdown or resisting in any way. I had to convince him, and it was hard work convincing someone who is not verbal in any way to do something they don't want to do. For some of that 20 minutes I had to sit on the side of the road while he picked up and put down the same rock over and over again.

this situation - with Kinsey and his charge - seems entirely plausible to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neejo
Back