GUILTY FL - Cherish Perrywinkle, 8, Jacksonville, 21 June 2013 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
google pay it forward... I've heard of it often, and have even done a few good deeds :)

but there is a big difference in paying for someones meal and risking your safety. no comparison.

I'm not sure if you were referring to my post about someone paying for my meal, but I just wanted to clarify. I was responding to Necco's post, not comparing it to this case. That's why I put "way of topic here" at the beginning of my post. My apologies if it was confusing. :blushing:

Cherish Lily Perrywinkle is this little angel's name. The misspellings have been driving me bonkers, this is the correct spelling per this Jacksonville.com article titled "Police, sources, media misspelled Cherish Perrywinkle's name".

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...es-media-misspelled-cherish-perrywinkles-name

Can a mod update the thread title? I think Cherish deserves that.

I totally agree, it was bothering me. I even asked why so many here were misspelling her name but then I too started misspelling it after I saw several accounts in the news with the misspelling that I thought was correct due to so many posters misspellings.

I agree, maybe a mod could do a simple search and replace to correct all the misspellings across the entire thread.

I totally agree, it was bothering me. I even asked why so many here were misspelling her name but then I too started misspelling it after I saw several accounts in the news with the misspelling that I thought was correct due to so many posters misspellings.

I agree, maybe a mod could do a simple search and replace to correct all the misspellings across the entire thread.

Court documents and arrest reports had also previously used “Cherish Periwinkle” and “Charish Lilly Perrywinkle.”

It's hinky to me that her name is being spelled differently all the time...

Do they mean arrest reports prior to Cherish's murder?

Erica Rakow ‏@ericarakow 1h
Spoke to two of Charish's neighbors. They're heartbroken. They say her mother is blaming herself. @wjxt4

Poor woman. I really feel for her. Sex predators are very manipulative and devious, and this one was especially so. I hope some day soon she will realize that she was a victim too, and stop blaming herself for what this evil man did to her child, and to her.

This makes me sick! Parents have to be more careful about who they let around their kids! It is not normal for adult males who are not related to your kids to show a lot of interest in them!A few summers ago I met a friend and her then 7 year old daughter at the pool. They were in the kiddie pool when I arrived and my friend was talking to another Mom and her daughter was in the pool playing with a man in his early 20's. This man was holding my friends daughter and tickling her. I asked my friend who he was, she didn't know and thought he was a Dad, I said I thought it was creepy, she laughed and said I was overreacting. I went over to them and asked my friends daughter to come to another part of the pool with me, she went and within seconds he had followed us over there and began trying to play with her again. I asked him where his kids were and he said he doesn't have kids. I asked him what he was doing in the kiddie pool if he doesn't have kids. He said he just likes kids. I flat out very rudely told him that was weird and he needs to go back to the adult pool and keep his hands off of children. He rolled his eyes and left but before leaving told my friends daughter how much he liked playing with her and hoped he would see her again. I called the police and reported him to the pool manager! My friend still thinks I was overreacting but better safe than sorry IMO!

You and me both sister, that is one sick individual! One of these days that man is either going to do something or be accused of it, because of his lack of propriety. I can't fathom mothers being so trusting of complete strangers! In a pool? In bathing suits?? UH-UH, NO WAY!!!!!

I guess there would be various court docs regarding the custody battle...but the use of the word "arrests" is interesting.

OMG this hits so close to home. My husband just read me an update on our community's neighborhood watch FB page. My community's neighborhood watch leader spoke with the NW leader of the commnity adjacent to ours. Smith was apparently believed to be seen last Monday attempting to lure a young girl into his van in that community. This is officially hearsay, but we'll do what we can to ensure the original reporter notifies the detectives on this case.

Get out of jail, buy a stuffed pony to put in your van (actionnewsjax.com article), and start trolling communties throughout Jacksonville.

Our community is in the northeast corner of Jacksonville; the Wal-Mart is the We're about 15 miles northeast of that Dollar Store, and about 13 miles east of the Wal-Mart. This perv was getting around in his trolling.

To put that in perspective, here's the Jacksonville Sheriffs Office patrol map (more granular maps are viewable in each zone's sub-section):
http://www.coj.net/departments/sheriffs-office/patrol-division.aspx

The Wal-Mart is in Zone 6, P-2. Our communities are in Zone 6, Q-3. The body was found in zone 6, P-1. The Dollar Store (and the child's home) is in Zone 5, N-2, and the murderer's home is in Zone 3, G-2.

Wow...this was already hitting way too close to home just from being in Jax, before reading your post. I also live in Zone 6, Q-3. I hadn't heard anything about this attempted abduction until reading your post. I just double checked our community's fb page and there is no mention there, but there are so many subdivisions in this area. I am extremely overprotective and this just re-enforces why.

I guess there would be various court docs regarding the custody battle...but the use of the word "arrests" is interesting.

Not being picky here but the word arrests was not used, the article said arrest reports....which I take to mean, more than one report of one arrest.

Nothing to do with custody IMO

Court documents and arrest reports

Not being picky here but the word arrests was not used, the article said arrest reports....which I take to mean, more than one report of one arrest.

Nothing to do with custody IMO

Okay I just meant that obviously Cherish was not arrested previously, so wondered who was that would result in her name being on a report, prior to yesterday? Or maybe they are referring to the arrest report(s) involving this suspect only?

Okay I just meant that obviously Cherish was not arrested previously, so wondered who was that would result in her name being on a report, prior to yesterday? Or maybe they are referring to the arrest report(s) involving this suspect only?

Bolded Yes

I keep wondering why he took them to Wal-Mart in the first place? Wouldn't it have been easier to just lure Cherish from the dollar store? Was he still undecided about what he was going to do when he drove the family to WM? While he had them in the van, did he consider absconding with the entire family? Or did he have his sights set on Cherish only? The move to Wal-Mart seems a risky one. I'd be very interested to know why he did that.

Judges, lawyers, parole boards don't have to concern themselves with these repeat offenders. They and their families aren't targeted by the perverts. Hollywood hand wringing celebrities aren't worried about letting these predators loose on the rest of society. Rehabilitation cheerleaders know they can get all teary and compassionate and suffer no consequences. The sexual deviants know exactly who to target. And, more times than not, it works. Kids alone or kids with a parent(s) who are less than vigilant, too trusting, drunk, drugs, etc. After 1st offense, locked up for life. How many babies would be saved?

I keep wondering why he took them to Wal-Mart in the first place? Wouldn't it have been easier to just lure Cherish from the dollar store? Was he still undecided about what he was going to do when he drove the family to WM? While he had them in the van, did he consider absconding with the entire family? Or did he have his sights set on Cherish only? The move to Wal-Mart seems a risky one. I'd be very interested to know why he did that.

Just being out three weeks, this was not a planned and calculated act, he probably was working his nerve up or could not resist. This was one sick son of a *itch for a very long time.

The good thing is Wal-Mart has security cameras. Police will be able to see how soon the mother reacted after realizing they were gone. They will be able to see whether she was running through the store in a panic. They will see whether she saw Cherish and Smith go off together, or if she turned around and they were gone. I bet everything the tape shows Smith and the mom talking, and then Smith walking away with the child pretending to go to McDonald's. I also bet it shows the mother continuing to shop, and then after X amount of minutes walking to the McDonald's, and then realizing they were gone.

Rayne Perrywinkle tells Action News that Donald Smith approached her inside the Dollar General on Edgewood Avenue, after he overheard her telling her daughter that she couldn't afford a dress the girl was asking for.

"He saw me putting things back because I couldn't afford them, and he offered to help me pay for some other items with a Walmart gift card that his wife had. We waited in that parking lot for a long time for her to come to the store, but then he said she [his wife] wanted him to meet her at the Walmart."

Perrywinkle told Action News she thought Smith was "creepy and annoying," but eventually seemed genuine in his offer to help.

"Part of me wanted to believe this was a blessing for my children, and that's what I kept telling myself, but when we got in the car I felt very tense and was sitting straight up."

Perrywinkle says she felt uneasy as soon as she got into Smith's van.

Perrywinkle says Smith continued to follow her every move inside the Walmart and insisted his wife was on her way. As they waited for his "wife" to arrive, he yelled "from across the way" and said he was going to McDonald's for a burger.

"He asked if I wanted anything and I heard Cherish say 'cheeseburger.' I thought she stayed near me. I didn't realize she went with him. I didn't let her go with him like people think. He was creepy, so I wouldn't have let her go, I just didn't realize she was gone."

Director Mike Williams of the JSO's Investigations and Homeland Security Division said Saturday that the amount of time between Cherish's disappearance and the time her mother called 911 for help was "not long."

http://www.fox30jax.com/content/top...Highlands-Baptist/oT9WC_Sw0kG2fhwfCYpblQ.cspx

BBM, please, everyone, listen to your gut when it tells you to "get out." This breaks my heart...she knew, but she didnt listen to herself. I have learned that the hard way myself. We have to learn to respect and trust ourselves, and let our instincts do their job.

The security tapes will be interesting, time of arrival at Walmart, what went on and how she was behaving, time of 911 call but more-so I hope the media can shed light on her finances each month. Clearly she was not this downtrodden mom who could not buy shoelaces or a happy meal. Cherish's dad was flying her to CA for the summer and he is not poor, how much child support did she receive? I can not fathom she did not get any.

Can an 8 year old fly alone? I can not book a flight for a child without an adult. I am not saying she was well off, just not that she did not have any means. For some reason I have a feeling her current BF is about same age and looks as DS.

http://www.cheapairlines.com/ca/minors-travel-alone.php rules for flying

BBM, please, everyone, listen to your gut when it tells you to "get out." This breaks my heart...she knew, but she didnt listen to herself. I have learned that the hard way myself. We have to learn to respect and trust ourselves, and let our instincts do their job.

Absolutely! Many times, when I was much younger, even if I felt my creep meter going into high gear, I wouldn't say anything, because I didn't want to hurt someones' feelings and end up being wrong about that person :facepalm:
This led to an attempted sexual assault (I ended up wounding him in a very fragile spot) to get away from that .
Another time, me, my ex-fiance and his daughter (8 yrs old) were at a friends house for July 4th, when a nasty piece of work started hitting on me while 8 yr old was sitting with me. I ignored him at first, but then he became very detailed in his language. I stood up, got in his face and told him he was NOT going to speak to me that way, and more especially he was not going to speak that way in front of this sweet girl. I told him if didn't get away from us, he had an invitation for his head to meet with my Louisville slugger.
He left immediately :blushing:

If your gut says something is wrong, listen to it! If people think you are rude or blowing things out of proportion, then tell them "see ya"

The good thing is Wal-Mart has security cameras. Police will be able to see how soon the mother reacted after realizing they were gone. They will be able to see whether she was running through the store in a panic. They will see whether she saw Cherish and Smith go off together, or if she turned around and they were gone. I bet everything the tape shows Smith and the mom talking, and then Smith walking away with the child pretending to go to McDonald's. I also bet it shows the mother continuing to shop, and then after X amount of minutes walking to the McDonald's, and then realizing they were gone.

Hopefully, they will have plenty of footage. My grandmother was mugged from behind at Walmart. It was not recorded on security footage. The store told her they (Walmart, as a corporation) have more cameras outside, then inside. Apparently, they have whole departments, which have no cameras. Mostly, the cameras are focused on aisles...aside from electronics. That was about 2 years ago. Hopefully, that has changed. I do hope they caught every single movement on camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech