GUILTY FL - Cherish Perrywinkle, 8, Jacksonville, 21 June 2013 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My girl decided to hide in the clothes racks at Target when she was six or so.. I was looking at a shirt, took my eyes off her for a second, and she was GONE. I do not wish that feeling on any parent, ever.. I went cold to my toes. Staff alerted immediately. She was located a few minutes later while hopping from rack to rack just as they were dialling the police for me (I didn't have a phone on me) - of course, she thought it was funny until the store manager told her off quite stiffly. Needless to say, I was NOT amused, either. Not one bit. :|

I guess I'm trying to say - I don't understand the lack of foaming panic in that crucial first few minutes, whatever the reason for dawdling about until 11.18 might have been.

I had that happen over 20 yrs ago,OMG my heart felt like it dropped. Foaming panic is the right word for it. It is not one of the stories of childhood we can laugh about to this day.

No. Which is why the "stranger danger" thing is a bunch of crap. It just makes kids MORE at risk because their fears are pinned on a mythical person called "stranger" who is likely easily identified by his scary black clothing, his scarred face, his black clothing and the fact that he is lingering in the bushes somewhere waiting to abduct them. A stranger is NOT the man your mom is talking to at the store. He is not the nice lady walking the puppy (Tori Stafford) that offers you a ride. He is not the teen or pre-teen from down the road.......IYKFIM.

Even if mom did tell Cherish never to go with a stranger, this man WASN'T one in her mind. He was a man that MOM rode in the car with......

That was her moms fault not stranger danger.Her mom also put 3 female children in a man who she says was not known to her that is where the bigger problem was IMO that erased him being a stranger totally in her daughters mind.If you look up stranger danger that mom steps on about 5 or 6 main rules of SD.It happens often enough when your talking about the rape and murder of a child.It happens often enough across the US if you follow this cases.Stranger danger works as long as the parent also follows it,but when you have a mom who disregards it with her child present they lose the power of that scream and also puts fear that mom will be mad if I say no to her friend.A child was saved from another Walmart because he screamed when someone tried to grab him just after this happened and the mom was in a different aisle.The numbers do NOT include the lives of the children saved by yelling out.

You're welcome.... I stood in front of that surveillance camera and looked around, and measured. I wonder what the loss prevention officers were thinking about that
:blushing:

Thank you so much for doing this!!
Did they say what she had in her cart?

that's odd. Why did they go back to her residence? Is that standard? Anyone know?

I think yes, I would expect them to do that in most cases. She was eight years old, old enough to know where she lived and walk home or get a ride from the old guy they hung out at the store with or a family member or another stranger who saw her wandering . They would also want to see the home to get am idea of the living conditions and perhaps figure out if the abduction was a cover-up for something that happened at home

How would you legally transport 3 children in a van without at least two car seats for the two youngest kids?

florida is slack with carseat laws. once a child turns 4, no seat required, just a seatbelt.

Video has custody evaluator speaking out. I've seen some posters make some strange/false claims about evaluator. Evaluator is an attorney appointed by the court, and had no connection to either parent. Video also shows an image of some documents saying Cherish's mother and father had a "one night stand" and mother was living at a homeless shelter at the time. Mother's life circumstances certainly don't suggest to me she somehow was naive or sheltered.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=2506655958001

We have a man in our church (I'm the pastors wife), not a member, but comes by often, and he has ALWAYS given me the creeps! I have warned all of my children about him. One day my 16 year old daughter and I were in Walmart and he spotted us. He asked me if my daughter could go out to his truck with him to get something that he had for us.

UMMM, THAT WOULD BE A NO.

Wouldn't refusing to treat lice be a CPS concern? (or whatever that agency is called in your area)

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that in the report regarding Cherish, the focus of the problem was not that she had lice, it was that the school's policy was that when you actively have lice, you can't be on the school bus. Despite mom knowing this, Cherish was stranded at school twice with no one coming to take her home.

That was my interpretation.

And yeah, in every school across America, perfectly clean and well cared for kids get lice. Just like the flu, only ickier. Lice has nothing to do with cleanliness because regular shampoo wont get rid of them and the only thing they know to do is find hair and skin. Clean, dirty, they don't care, just give me hair and scalp. It passes from clean kid to clean kid via sitting close, sharing hats, combs, brushes, pillows, sofas, etc.

And getting rid of them usually takes a minimum of two treatments 7-10 days apart (second treatment to get rid of any newly hatched/about to be hatched nits missed the first time. YOu then have to wash everything that the child's hair has touched (all bedding, jackets, backpack...)The kits also come with spray for things that can't be washed, like your sofa, mattress.

We're are very financially comfortable family, and I can assure Websleuthers we all bathe daily and wash our hair, depending on the family member, every day or every two days.

My daughter has had the misfortune of picking up lice twice during the school year, winter both times. She has very long, beautiful (clean!) hair that her friends and strangers envy. Like Shampoo commercial pretty and clean. She also rides the bus, where I suspect she may have gotten it. Hard to fumigate a bus that's in service nearly year round. She also has other friends with long hair, and the all sit uber close when they're together, and despite being told not to, I'm sure they swap headbands, clips, hats, borrow brushes at school. The rest of us in the family didn't get it and have never had it. It is labor intensive to wash and fumigate everything...twice. It's hours of work if you're anal retentive like me. I did everything short of putting on a Hazmat suit and giving the kid a Silkwood shower.

Unless the child was so infested that it was obvious Mom had done absolutely NOTHING to treat them, the school would know you can't always get rid of them with a single treatment and wouldn't call DFACS because she had lice one week and the next week they found a few nits. She could still be under treatment.

I thought the school's main concern had been over the fact that they had advised mom that she could not ride the bus lice. It seems they had issues with her abandonment at the school because she had lice. Not the fact she had lice. As in, someone had dropped her OFF at school those days. But no one came and got her.

I need to check and link that, though. :seeya:

Wouldn't refusing to treat lice be a CPS concern? (or whatever that agency is called in your area)
I work as a case manager for children/families that have numerous challenges (some legal and/or environmental). Each state and school system have their own quidelines regarding lice issues. In cases of lice infestation, Child Protection never got involved to address these issues. Our agency assisted with lice kits, nit picking, etc. Reinfestation frequently occurs in the home because basically all services need to be washed, bagged for a certain amount of time, or heated in a dryer. It has to be done at the same time.
I guess lice doesn't both me so much. It happens in all socioeconomic levels.
I know it's sad to see children w/o shoes in Wally World. I see it everytime I shop. Now when I see a child unrestrained in a car, little child walking w/o holding someone's hand in a parking lot, a young child wandering in a store alone, or a child left in a car unsupervised, I call the appropriate agency.

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that in the report regarding Cherish, the focus of the problem was not that she had lice, it was that the school's policy was that when you actively have lice, you can't be on the school bus. Despite mom knowing this, Cherish was stranded at school twice with no one coming to take her home.

That was my interpretation.

Yeah, I got that. Just to clarify that my comment was not directed at Cherish's situation, I was responding to the poster above my post (Ausgirl) who was talking about families in her school district who had a legal right not to treat lice and who apparently did nothing for a very long time.

Last year, we had a persisting lice problem, the youngest brought them home from the kindy at least twice and I spent a lot of time and money trying to get rid of them. No one reported us to social services and I don't think that is warranted but doing nothing is, however, a sign of parental neglect imo. But if you read my posts prior to this you will see that I wasn't accusing Cherish's mother of neglecting to treat the lice, or attempt to.

Maybe there were none to hand down. :(

Nothing is worse than Cherish's horrific, tragic fate, naturally. But next to that, what drove me to tears was reading about Cherish being stranded at school twice because the head lice had gone untreated, and she wasn't allowed on the bus. I can only imagine what that did to her young mind. The shame, embarrassment, not to mention the anxiety of not knowing how she would get home. Why???

I realize that we may come to find out that either the child did have shoes with her but never kept them on, or that she did have shoes at home but mom didn't make her wear them because it was too much trouble for her to argue with the child, whatever...

If the truth becomes "We have no money to buy child C shoes" ... they were at Dollar General to buy "Dress for Cherish" or "Dresses for the girls" depending on which article you read/who's talking. A pair of shoes for a shoeless child takes precedence over "a pretty dress so she could feel pretty", IMO. If she's got ANY money, just not enough money to buy a dress for Cherish that night, then she had more than enough to buy a pair of flip-flops at Dollar General. Maybe even for LESS than a dollar. It's summer in Florida. Flip flops are more than just adequate... they are the what all kids wear around these parts. I'm in Georgia and we just got back from Florida. We have a flip-flop extravaganza going on over here!

I do think the big issue with calling Dad had to do with the no pick up at school. IN following the Jorelys Rivera case, DFACS became involved when mom was a no show at the bus stop in the afternoons, repeatedly. I just think it's protocol when the child is repeatedly (more than one isolated time) seen by the school as being 'abandoned'/left unsupervised.

It broke my heart for Jorelys and breaks my heart for Cherish.

Yeah, I got that. Just to clarify that my comment was not directed at Cherish's situation, I was respnding to the poster above my post (Ausgirl) who was talking about families in her school district who had a legal right not to treat lice and who apparently did nothing for a very long time.

Oops, sorry if it looked like I was 'schooling' you! :seeya: I was just bouncing off your post to clarify for those here who may be thinking DFACS gets called every time a kid has lice or might have lice for a week or two. Sorry! :blushing:

Oops, sorry if it looked like I was 'schooling' you! :seeya: I was just bouncing off your post to clarify for those here who may be thinking DFACS gets called every time a kid has lice or might have lice for a week or two. Sorry! :blushing:

No worries, I was just afraid that I had been misunderstood to say that Cherish's treatment was neglected.

just for the record, a few drops of tea tree oil in a bottle of shampoo keeps lice away.

(my kids are grown now _except the baby lol_ but ive never had to deal with lice in my kids hair, even when my daughters class had 3/4 of the kids with lice!)

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if going to stores and loudly saying she can't afford things was her way of preying upon the kindness and sympathy of strangers to get them to buy things for her. I would never have believed such behavior went on until we moved here. People will stand and block gas pumps just waiting for someone to give them money for gas, because they "forgot" their money at home, but refuse to move out of the way. They approach people putting groceries in their car and ask for money. It's their way of life.

I think you have reached a very good conclusion to explain the mother's strange behavior that night. I live in a tourist town, and people are always standing around with signs saying they are stranded and need money to get back home. They stand right by the highway usually but I've had a man approach me asking for money when I got to my daycare, which is not near a major road. Scared me to death. My point is that there are so many people out there running a scam, and I think you are so right. I know if I were in a store and a sweet little girl wanted a dress but her mom said no they couldn't afford it, and if it were obvious to me they were down on their luck, I would want to help. Seeing children want for things is not something most of us can turn away from.

Her past behavior indicates that her present behavior is probably not out of the norm for her. I read that the father of Cherish did not know he had a daughter for the first three years of her life. And it was recommended she not get custody of Cherish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876