GUILTY FL - Cherish Perrywinkle, 8, Jacksonville, 21 June 2013 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this thread just came to a screeching halt. I feel like our mom just walked in and caught us jumping on our bed.

:jail:

(Joke, Mods, joke!)

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Computer is working like typing in quick sand.If it is not Websleuth acting up then I have a virus from trolling the newspaper comment sections or some of the seedier places looking for info :blushing:

When they say the store closes at 11 PM, does that mean all customers must be out of the store by 11 so they start making the announcement for everyone to finish shopping around 10:50? I am just confused by why she called 911 at 11:18 if the store closed at 11. The only kind-of explanation I can think of is that it's 11 PM, and the employees tell her she needs to pay for the items in the cart, well she doesn't have the gift certificate (-_-) so she has to go put all the items back, and then she calls 911?

When they say the store closes at 11 PM, does that mean all customers must be out of the store by 11 so they start making the announcement for everyone to finish shopping around 10:50? I am just confused by why she called 911 at 11:18 if the store closed at 11. The only kind-of explanation I can think of is that it's 11 PM, and the employees tell her she needs to pay for the items in the cart, well she doesn't have the gift certificate (-_-) so she has to go put all the items back, and then she calls 911?

I am sure employees would like all customers gone. There are always stragglers. If you are standing in the front of a store with a cart of items, looking towards the door...

I'm surprised they allowed anyone in the store(s) without shoes on. geez, how freakin sad is that.....

My girl decided to hide in the clothes racks at Target when she was six or so.. I was looking at a shirt, took my eyes off her for a second, and she was GONE. I do not wish that feeling on any parent, ever.. I went cold to my toes. Staff alerted immediately. She was located a few minutes later while hopping from rack to rack just as they were dialling the police for me (I didn't have a phone on me) - of course, she thought it was funny until the store manager told her off quite stiffly. Needless to say, I was NOT amused, either. Not one bit. :|

I guess I'm trying to say - I don't understand the lack of foaming panic in that crucial first few minutes, whatever the reason for dawdling about until 11.18 might have been.

Perhaps, the 4yo rode in the shopping cart? Though, she is not in the cart in the stills that were released.
Did she have socks, I wonder? The thought of walking through Walmart barefoot makes me queasy.
Maybe she left her shoes in the perv's van after the ride from DG to Walmart? Being the youngest, wouldn't you assume she'd have the older one's hand-me-down shoes, if there was no money for new ones?
As an aside, I have heard more than a handful of news stories about bad things happening at Walmarts (this story, other attempted kidnappings, people smashing people as they run in for Black Friday shopping, etc.). Why is that? I think I'll stick with Target. *eek*
Maybe there were none to hand down. :(

Nothing is worse than Cherish's horrific, tragic fate, naturally. But next to that, what drove me to tears was reading about Cherish being stranded at school twice because the head lice had gone untreated, and she wasn't allowed on the bus. I can only imagine what that did to her young mind. The shame, embarrassment, not to mention the anxiety of not knowing how she would get home. Why???

No. Which is why the "stranger danger" thing is a bunch of crap. It just makes kids MORE at risk because their fears are pinned on a mythical person called "stranger" who is likely easily identified by his scary black clothing, his scarred face, his black clothing and the fact that he is lingering in the bushes somewhere waiting to abduct them. A stranger is NOT the man your mom is talking to at the store. He is not the nice lady walking the puppy (Tori Stafford) that offers you a ride. He is not the teen or pre-teen from down the road.......IYKFIM.

Even if mom did tell Cherish never to go with a stranger, this man WASN'T one in her mind. He was a man that MOM rode in the car with......

So right! From my own personal experience its not strangers kids need to be warned about mostly, its the friends of the parents, relatives.....so sad for the loss of this innocent.:twocents::moo:

This case just gets sadder and sadder. As a mother myself, I am absolutely fuming for poor Cherish and her siblings.

I get that people can be poor, and can't provide everything their children might need or want. But time is free ..... and a comb and some conditioner is all it takes to treat head lice, if you can't afford the expensive treatments.

I can't believe that woman (I refuse to call her a mother) couldn't even be bothered to spend the time treating her little girl's head lice. Not only would it be humiliating and embarrassing for Cherish to be denied a ride on the bus, but the poor little girl would be itchy and uncomfortable. And she obviously didn't care that it could be passed onto other children and the teachers too.

But what is making me really, really mad is the fact this this woman had the gall to name her precious child "Cherish" when she certainly didn't cherish her, or any of her children.

My heart goes out to the bio dad, trying so hard to give his daughter a better life and the courts thinking that she was better off with a woman who blatantly couldn't (or didn't) care for them properly.

Rant over, sorry mods.

When we had them it took several treatments to get. rid of head lice. Just because the lice problem didn't immediately go away I am not ready to conclude that nothing was attempted to take care of it

When we had them it took several treatments to get. rid of head lice. Just because the lice problem didn't immediately go away I am not ready to conclude that nothing was attempted to take care of it

But when I read that witnesses said the children were dirty and, in one case, barefoot, I tend to conclude that care was lacking.

Thanks for saying that, Donjeta. I haven't had experience with the problem, so I didn't know. You could be right. Still sad, but it makes a difference.

Thanks for saying that, Donjeta. I haven't had experience with the problem, so I didn't know. You could be right. Still sad, but it makes a difference.

The trouble with lice is that the treatments mostly affect the live lice but they could miss unhatched eggs that hatch later, or, since it's communicable, there could be another person at home or at school who has them at the same time and once you've been treated you just catch them again from the other person.

But when I read that witnesses said the children were dirty and, in one case, barefoot, I tend to conclude that care was lacking.

It's possible but any children could be dirty after a long day shopping and doing who knows what else.

I had the misfortune of having to school my daughter with several kids whose parents just would not treat their lice. After six months of re-infestations, my daughter came home crying, saying she wouldn't sit next to this one boy anymore because there were lice dripping off his head. She found them in her socks at school!

We went through hundreds of dollars and a lot of stress in treatments. I had to cut her beautiful long pretty hair short...

All because I couldn't afford to move areas, and these few families had the LEGAL right to refuse to treat thier kids. The school could only advise and send them home when the lice were visible.

I felt so bad for the ever-infested kids - and I definitely see non-treatment as child abuse - but I was so, so angry with their parents and the legislation that means the "nit bus" doesn't come by once a year and dose ALL the kids at once any more, like it did when I was in grade school.

Anyway, we all have louse-trauma after three years at that school, itching and dosing and itching and dosing, it's embarrassing and uncomfortable for everybody, not just the kids who aren't being treated.

ETA: Ack, I hit send before I finished my point: that being, nit infestation isn't always a sign of neglect, but it -can- be if the lice are not treated. I feel so, so bad for Cherish, being refused a ride home on the bus - not once, but twice..

I took the option of keeping my child home until she was 100% louse-free. Then I was yelled at for her missing school - by the school who allowed the louse problem to reach plague proportion in the first place.

I am sure I would seem neglectful if this sorry debacle was described as: Ausgirl's child missed x amount of days, and was observed to have had head lice..

Wouldn't refusing to treat lice be a CPS concern? (or whatever that agency is called in your area)

I had the misfortune of having to school my daughter with several kids whose parents just would not treat their lice. After six months of re-infestations, my daughter came home crying, saying she wouldn't sit next to this one boy anymore because there were lice dripping off his head. She found them in her socks at school!

We went through hundreds of dollars and a lot of stress in treatments. I had to cut her beautiful long pretty hair short...

All because I couldn't afford to move areas, and these few families had the LEGAL right to refuse to treat thier kids. The school could only advise and send them home when the lice were visible.

I felt for bad the ever-infested kids - and I definitely see non-treatment as child abuse - but I was so, so angry with their parents and the legislation that means the "nit bus" doesn't come by once a year and dose ALL the kids at once any more, like it did when I was in grade school.

Anyway, we all have louse-trauma after three years at that school, itching and dosing and itching and dosing, it's embarrassing and uncomfortable for everybody, not just the kids who aren't being treated.

I, too, feel it's a form of abuse to not treat the children. It's also a public health problem. A particular form of lice in the Netherlands has been implicated in transmitting disease according to an MMR report from the 80's. I used to volunteer at my children's school yearly to help with the annual weight, hearing and lice checks. And it was horrible to see the social stigma placed on the children with repeat problems. I also could understand the position of the other parents because they were tired of treating their children. The remedies are very neuro-toxic. Once I went to help with a home check and was appalled at the living conditions. Social services got involved and went in to help intensively clean and assist. That all went back to baseline within a short time because the mother didn't want to keep things up. One of the little girls was in my oldest son's grade. I made it a point to go out of my way to be nice and to assist her any chance I got. But the way that other children, and some of the teachers, treated her was sad. She was a very bright and gifted little girl who was not given the same chances due to her socioeconomic status and circumstances. Sometimes I wish that the guardians of these precious children are punished until they do what's right. They are guilty of abuse in my opinion. This is MOO.

Wouldn't refusing to treat lice be a CPS concern? (or whatever that agency is called in your area)

You'd think so, yeah. But apparently CPS (I heard..) was already involved with those families and there were bigger problems happening than head lice..

I did call the health dept on the school, though. Because I felt - it sounds funny, but it sure wasn't at the time - that my family were hostage to head lice! My girl missed parties, sleepover, family visits.. because I didn't want to spread them around. The lice just -loved- her clean hair (mosquitos love her too..) and she came home -every day- for several weeks with adult lice crawling on her head..

Health Dept said they'd look into it. Nothing was apparently done, the problem was still ongoing when we finally left - I have never been so glad to move! Her 4th grade was spent louse-free and she could grow her hair back!

Ray of Hope, thanks for your post up there. I agree, it's totally a form of abuse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anyclimate3010