Identified! FL - Christmas, WhtFem 259UFFL, 24-29, incomplete braces removal, Dec'03 Holly Garcia

Or perhaps she was just a runaway who had no intention of returning to the orthodontist. If that was the case, considering her age, she may have run away several years prior and had been on the road ever since.

How about Melanie Melanson, she had braces when she was last seen and, although her hair is described as "Blond/Strawberry" it looks more brown to me?

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/6393/6

Or perhaps she was just a runaway who had no intention of returning to the orthodontist. If that was the case, considering her age, she may have run away several years prior and had been on the road ever since.

This scenario was my thought, too. I had orthodontics in my late 30s and as someone who was older, married and pretty much settled, I was still self-conscious about my braces (and I definitely put orthodontics off for a long time), and there were days I just wanted to rip those suckers off. An adult in her early 20s would probably be concerned about her looks to the point where she might have tried to remove them, especially if they had been on for a while and were not being adjusted (so, in essence, they weren't even doing anything but sitting there and looking ugly). She might have resorted to prostitution or other sex work where braces would not have been desirable.

I had a friend who removed her own braces. At the time, she was being a typical rebellious teenager and was sick of dealing with her braces (her orthodontist kept pushing back her removal date) so she took matters into her own hands. I can't remember anymore what tool she used to take them off, but she worked for awhile and was successful. I think she eventually went back to the orthodontist one last time to get the cement (used to attach the brackets) taken off.

The only thing that strikes me as odd is, brackets are usually centered on the tooth. Why would there be a bracket on the "outer edge"?

I have two friends who have made full or partial removal of braces themselves. One ate sticky fudge at Christmas which you shouldn't and it got stuck in the braces and some came off and some were loose but not fully off. He called the dentist who put them there and he said that he could just use a pair of pliers and cut the wire and for the loose ones he could just gently pull at them with pliers until they came off and the dentist would see him after New Years instead and put them back. It worked and he had replacements after New Years. Another person I know had an abusive boyfriend who pushed her down the stairs and her teeth became loose but did not fall out and she was fitted with braces to stabilize them until they grew back themselves. The thing is that she is extremely afraid of going to the dentist and didn't go and get them removed despite it being several years after she was pushed and they told her she would only need to wear them for half a year or a year. He new partner told her to get them removed but she refused to go to the dentist and went downstairs and removed them herself (also with pliers). A pair of pliers seems necessary but other than that you probably do not need too much to remove braces. About the braces on the outer edge, I think that with the last tooth at the back of the mouth you can have the mental thing at the outer edge but I am not totally sure. I would make sense however that this one would be the hardest to remove yourself if that is the case.

I have two friends who have made full or partial removal of braces themselves. One ate sticky fudge at Christmas which you shouldn't and it got stuck in the braces and some came off and some were loose but not fully off. He called the dentist who put them there and he said that he could just use a pair of pliers and cut the wire and for the loose ones he could just gently pull at them with pliers until they came off and the dentist would see him after New Years instead and put them back. It worked and he had replacements after New Years. Another person I know had an abusive boyfriend who pushed her down the stairs and her teeth became loose but did not fall out and she was fitted with braces to stabilize them until they grew back themselves. The thing is that she is extremely afraid of going to the dentist and didn't go and get them removed despite it being several years after she was pushed and they told her she would only need to wear them for half a year or a year. He new partner told her to get them removed but she refused to go to the dentist and went downstairs and removed them herself (also with pliers). A pair of pliers seems necessary but other than that you probably do not need too much to remove braces. About the braces on the outer edge, I think that with the last tooth at the back of the mouth you can have the mental thing at the outer edge but I am not totally sure. I would make sense however that this one would be the hardest to remove yourself if that is the case.

I remember when I had braces (in the mid-90's) there was a "band" of metal around my back teeth. The brackets are what are attached to each tooth to hold the wire in place. I think I had a hook on my very back teeth (like in the picture) because I had rubber bands to correct my overbite.

braces_diagram.jpg

I can tell you that from the research I did while I had my braces that nothing surprises me with the structure of the orthodontics themselves. I had a band on a8y crown I had, as well as on the back molars, like in the illustration. The ligature would not stick to the crown, so they added the band for extra security. I also had an incisor that was turned at almost 45º inward. The solution was to put a lingual bracket on the back of my tooth and attach it to my archwire to turn the tooth around (prior to which a spring was placed on the archwire to make room for the rotating tooth). I would read adult orthodontics forums and saw some pretty out-of-the ordinary stuff (probably to make myself feel better about my own teeth :eek:). I've seen photos of teeth migrating inward towards the palate that needed to be hauled back into place, teeth that never erupted that were going to be winched down into space that was made, etc. There are an endless number of ways that brackets, wires, rubber bands and springs could be placed to achieve results.

Going back a “little” further, I had braces put on in 1978 and I had a metal brackets that went all the way around each tooth, not just the back ones.

I'm wondering if this woman took the braces off herself because they caused a lot of pain for her. It sounds like her teeth were still crooked (correct me if I'm wrong) so they couldn't have been on for too long. I remember being in pain the first few days after getting them on, and again each time after having them tightened. For me it wasn't unbearable pain, but everyone has a different pain tolerance.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2279/0/ Michelle Rust?
UID Height Est: 63in/ Michelle-64in (close)
UID Weight: Unk/ Michelle-140lbs
UID Age Est: 24-29 years/ Michelle went missing @ 24 would have been 25 if UID (close)
UID Hair: Brownish-Reddish/ Michelle- listed as auburn but on the reddish side (close)
UID: DNA Available/Michelle- sample currently n/a
Michelle is not on the list of exclusions?? Thoughts?

Ruleouts as of 7 November 2017 https://identifyus.org/cases/522

First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA

Julia Fraser 1984 Virginia
Rose Marie Gayhart 1962 Florida
Rachel Good 1983 Virginia
Pamela Hall 1978 Florida
Valerie Harmon Unknown Tennessee
Pamela Holopainen 1981 Florida
Melissa Hovey 1971 Florida
Wendy Hudakoc 1984 Florida
Sabrina Kahler 1982 Pennsylvania
Hazel Klug 1962 Virginia
Anne Mason 1964 Florida
Mindy Metz Unknown Florida
Ilene Misheloff 1975 California
Dawn Pederson 1981 Florida
Colleen Perris 1982 Florida
Carrie Polega 1964 Wisconsin
Annette Ramsammy (Rabino) 1967 Florida
Patricia Schmidt 1964 Virginia
Tiffany Sessions 1968 Florida
Claudia Shepherd 1960 Florida
Lisa Marie Shuttleworth 1969 South Carolina

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/12041/

Jacquelyn Hopper, not excluded
- Last seen October 31,2003 ; UID December 29, 2003
- 60-63 inches ; UID 63 inches
- Jacquelyn went missing from California, but she may have have traveled to Nevada, Oklahoma or Texas.
-Jacquelyn was quite petite(110lbs), had both ears pierced, a few tattoos (could have decomposed away already)
- Reconstruction and Jacquelyn both have strong jaw and cheekbones, a widows peak and thin lips.
- Her natural hair color is wavy and medium brown, but it may be dyed red; UID has slightly wavy brown/reddish hair

Pamela Jayne Holopainen looks like an interesting possibility.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/holopainen_pamela.html

2775120540045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
2240549670045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
259UFFL.jpg

It says in her NAMPN profile that she "had worn braces in the past, but were removed." It doesn't say whether or not they were removed by a dentist or orthodontist.

The UID's jewelry includes "two white stone post earrings", and "up to 4 rings". She appears to be wearing a white post earring in her side-view photo (along with a ring-type earring alongside of it). There is no way of knowing whether one of her 4 rings include one that looks like the one found with the UID.

However, her DLC was only 15 days prior to the remains being found. This is less than the UID's postmortem interval of "over 30 days".
Started thread in light of fresh article about Pamela's case..
CANADA - Pamela Jayne Holopainen, 22, Timmins, Ontario, 14 December 2003

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

One new exclusion:

First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA

Lurline Bergeron Florida
Julia Fraser 1984 Virginia
Rose Marie Gayhart 1962 Florida
Rachel Good 1983 Virginia
Pamela Hall 1978 Florida
Valerie Harmon Unknown Tennessee
Pamela Holopainen 1981 Florida
Melissa Hovey 1971 Florida
Wendy Hudakoc 1984 Florida
Sabrina Kahler 1982 Pennsylvania
Hazel Klug 1962 Virginia
Anne Mason 1964 Florida
Mindy Metz Unknown Florida
Ilene Misheloff 1975 California
Dawn Pederson 1981 Florida
Colleen Perris 1982 Florida
Carrie Polega 1964 Wisconsin
Annette Ramsammy (Rabino) 1967 Florida
Patricia Schmidt 1964 Virginia
Tiffany Sessions 1968 Florida
Claudia Shepherd 1960 Florida
Lisa Marie Shuttleworth 1969 South Carolina[/QUOTE]

Has Ilene Misheloff been considered? Complete opposite sides of the US and years apart, but stranger things have happened

The Doe Network:
Case File 259UFFL
259UFFL Unidentified Female
NamUs UP Case 522 https://identifyus.org/cases/522

259UFFL.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Unidentified White Female

* The victim was discovered on December 29, 2003 in Christmas, Orange County, Florida
* Estimated Date of Death: More than 30 days prior.

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 21-35 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0"-5'3".
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Reddish/brown, long (beyond shoulder length) and slightly wavy hair. Pierced ears.
* Clothing: Two white stone post earrings were present. No other clothing, shoes or personal effects found.
* Fingerprints: Not available
* Dentals: Available; may have had braces and had them removed unprofessionally. One tooth has the remnant of a metallic brace bracket on the outer edge. No third molars are present. Multiple fillings present. Crooked front teeth.
* DNA: Available

Case History
The victim was located at the 4700 block of Taylor Creek Road in Christmas, Florida on December 29, 2003. Two garbage men were on their normal route and smelled a foul odor coming from the woods. They found what appeared to be human remains. This area is normally traveled by hunters.

259UFFL1.jpg
259UFFL2.jpg
259UFFL3.jpg

Jewelry located at the scene believed to be the victims.

Case Details​

FLUIDDB Case ID
Medical Examiner District
Case Number
2003-05764
Date of Death or Discovery
2003-12-29
Estimated Age of Decedent
21-35
Presumed Race
White
Estimated Height
5' - 6'
Estimated Weight
Unknown
Details
Location Found: 4700 block of Taylor Creek Road in Christmas
Hair: The hair is a redish/brown, long (beyond shoulder length) and slightly wavy.
Eyes: No details available
Facial Features: No details available
Tattoos: No details available
Scars, Surgeries and Other Dental and Medical Information: Dental charting available. May have had braces and had them removed unprofessionally. One tooth has the remnant of a metallic brace bracket on the outer edge. No third molars are present. Multiple fillings present.
Jewelry: Two white stone post earrings were present.
Clothing and Shoes: No clothing or shoes found.
Personal Effects: No personal effects found.
Other Details: >artist's
portrait. Photos of jewelry can be found on the Doe Network's website

Namus seems to indicate this UID's death was fairly close to date found, as evidenced by the decay and smell. However, there are rule outs from the 1980s. I wonder if Mary Opitz should be submitted - pierced ears, braces, gold bracelets, height and hair similar. Mary was 17 in 1981 when she went missing, and UID was estimated at 21 - 35 wheb found in 2003. Both were in Florida. Mary was suspected the have been abducted and murdered by Christopher Wilde Charley Project

The only thing is Mary went missing in 1981 and it sound like UID was killed close to being found in 2003, not skeletal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back