GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #1 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've come all the way back to thinking this was a "hit". Even though DM was shot once, through his car window. Not a "pro hitman", maybe, but he killed DM and got clear away. In this scenario, LE has likely pieced together a viable motive ( people close to DM may have given LE some reasons for his murder), but without any proof, no one talking,and no shooter ...it may never be solved. This case kind of reminds me of the murder of Alistair Wilson in Scotland... all jmo.

First i have heard of the AW murder, thanks for posting- some interesting parallels with this case.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...256469&highlight=Alistair+Wilson#post12256469
UK - Alistair Wilson, 30, Nairn, Scotland, 28 November 2004

Hello - I also live in Florida and do a double take every time I see a Prius. I also wonder why the person on the phone with Dan did not call 911. And, also, it almost had to be someone he didn't know, or how could the killer be sure Dan would not have said the person's name to the person he was on the phone with, as in, "Oh, hey, have to go, my friend, ______, is here in my driveway. Am hoping they are able to solve this. Thanks, all. Katt

Considering that the a Prius was the (unusual, imo)" getaway car " in this crime, this commercial is ironic. Sometimes wonder if ad people read here on Ws.

[video=youtube;GFkVsiDYI3c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFkVsiDYI3c[/video]

I saw this and thought of Dan's murder. This is 3 hours away from Tallahassee. But this murder happened in an upscale neighborhood and you might notice in the article that there has been an epidemic of burglaries there.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...dered-inside-his-dunnellon-rental-home-friday

Very nasty thieves, LE is not fooling around with tips, imo, also noting the crimes have happened in the daytime..
From the link..
Noting the warning about garages, rbbm.
The Sheriff is urging residents to follow some of these home safety tips:

Make it appear as though someone is home in the daytime and nighttime hours.
Park a car in the driveway, not in the garage--but make sure both are locked.
Leave a radio or TV on inside.
Leave on interior fans or lamps, i.e., leave on a bathroom light.
Make sure newspapers and mail are collected daily.
Make sure all windows and doors are locked.
Leave outside lights on at night.
Don't open the door to anyone you don't recognize.
Don't open the door to any door-to-door sales people or otherwise without calling the Sheriff's Office.
Call 911 if anyone knocks on your door and asks for someone who lives there who DOESN'T live there.
Report any suspicious activity immediately by calling 911.

It would be interesting to know who in Dan Markel's life was willing to open up their records (bank, phone) to the police and if anyone was not.

It would be interesting to know who in Dan Markel's life was willing to open up their records (bank, phone) to the police and if anyone was not.
It would be interesting to know anything about the investigation into this murder, and you are right that nowadays the cell phone is a huge source of info...

Another thought I had is that DM's murder might have been a hate crime, based on anti Semitism. originally I got the vibe that this murder had some kind of emotional component to it, but jmo.

scadagirl28, thank you so much for posting that video. I had watched it when it first came out and haven't watched it since. I'm glad I did because I have a very simple question about that video:

How do the police know THAT'S the car?

Keep in mind, I'm saying the police are wrong. They wouldn't put the info out on the car if they weren't absolutely sure this Prius was the one leaving the scene. But once again, how do they know that?

The only conceivable way I can postulate that they know this is the car is because there was a street camera at the end of Dan's street where the Prius eventually pulled out--because there is surely no street cam on Dan's. Yes, there was the video from the neighboring house. But it was only pointed straight out front, not up or down the street.

Because given the number of green Priuses on the road, it wouldn't be easy to pick the EXACT one out randomly. So, the only conclusion that can be made, is from this picture from this particular traffic cam, this Prius, through the use of many different cameras, can be traced back to Dan's street in Tallahassee.

Is my logic wrong in any of that? If it is, please let me know.

So, having said that, I find it strange that this is the best picture they can provide the public. In addition, you would think with the police's ability to track this Prius from Dan's house to that intersection where this picture was taken, the police could then track the car even further using additional traffic cameras--toward a highway for example. But, the police haven't released any of that info. Once again, I'm not saying they don't have it. I'm just wondering why they haven't released it.

I should also say that I get the same feelings about the car that I got when I first saw it. This Prius gives off the impression that it hasn't exactly been loved. The mismatched mirror, the missing cover on the front bumper. One flaw wouldn't be a big deal. But both? Those oddities tell a story. This could be the reason the cop says the car could've been owned by somebody else other than the killer. Maybe it was on a used car lot. Or, maybe about to be put in the car crusher.

As for that mismatched mirror, I've discovered that all Prius mirrors come in black. It's up to the owner to get it painted if he/she wants it to match the body of the car. Once again, this tells me the owner of this car isn't exactly "into" cars. Because it wouldn't cost much to paint a mirror. But, it could be the reason the car hasn't been found. The owner probably got it painted right after the murder.

dotr is always on the ball but thanks fasteddy8170
I think the car was seen by both the witness who called 911 and a security camera placed on Dan Markel's street. I am guessing they think the car is being driven by someone other than the owner because the baby seat has been moved.The fact that that the owner has not come forward and imo the driver is ducking does look suspect.

dotr is always on the ball but thanks fasteddy8170
I think the car was seen by both the witness who called 911 and a security camera placed on Dan Markel's street. I am guessing they think the car is being driven by someone other than the owner because the baby seat has been moved.The fact that that the owner has not come forward and imo the driver is ducking does look suspect.

Please explain about the baby seat. You think the owner had a baby seat in the car? How do you know this since the car's owner has not been found?

Sorry about that Collette
I was just going over why the police thinks the Prius is involved and why I think they think the car may be owned by someone else. There are probably several reasons why they think the car is owned by someone else. One of things I can see is that a baby's car seat is in the front seat facing forward. Of course we could just be dealing with bad parenting along with everything else. My guess and it solely a guess is because the backseat is occupied.

Revisiting this news link from 2015, in retrospect, a little surprised that the killer was referred to as an " assassin ", also noting that the killer was waiting for Markel.
So who would know that he would be coming home from dropping off the kids at exactly at that time?
imo.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/development-unsolved-murder-fsu-professor-year-ago/story?id=32534760
According to police, Markel, a father of two, was shot by an assassin who was waiting for him when he arrived home. Markel was on the phone when he got to his house and told an unidentified caller that "someone is in my driveway," police said.

The suspect then followed Markel into the garage, shooting him in the head, police said.

Markel, 41, was alive when police arrived, but he was pronounced dead in the hospital hours later.

Two days before his murder, Markel, a Harvard grad who had been published in the New York Times and served as a legal scholar, with a focus on criminal law, posted to his blog about the death penalty. He had received threatening comments in 2012 on the same website.
rbbm.

From what I understand the last place was his children's daycare.

"Most recently investigators asked the public for help to see if anyone saw Markel in several areas the day before and the day of his murder.

Those locations include his two sons pre-school, his temple, the FSU Law School and in the retail area around Interstate 10 and Thomasville Road."

Creative Pre-School near the intersection of Tharpe Street and Mission Road may be one of, if not the last place Dan Markel was seen before he was fatally shot in his home's garage.

According to the owner and director Doctor Pamela Phelps, Markel arrived with his two young sons about 9 on Friday morning July 18th.

She says parents usually stay a while with the children as they eat breakfast.

Later that morning, a neighbor called 911 about a loud bang."

http://www.wctv.tv/news/crimestoppe...tigate-Shooting-on-Trescott-Dr-267684731.html

From what I understand the last place was his children's daycare.

"Most recently investigators asked the public for help to see if anyone saw Markel in several areas the day before and the day of his murder.

Those locations include his two sons pre-school, his temple, the FSU Law School and in the retail area around Interstate 10 and Thomasville Road."

Creative Pre-School near the intersection of Tharpe Street and Mission Road may be one of, if not the last place Dan Markel was seen before he was fatally shot in his home's garage.

According to the owner and director Doctor Pamela Phelps, Markel arrived with his two young sons about 9 on Friday morning July 18th.

She says parents usually stay a while with the children as they eat breakfast.

Later that morning, a neighbor called 911 about a loud bang."

http://www.wctv.tv/news/crimestoppe...tigate-Shooting-on-Trescott-Dr-267684731.html

Strange, I recall reading upthread that DM was seen at the gym,or was on the gym's video ?

Strange, I recall reading upthread that DM was seen at the gym,or was on the gym's video ?

I always remembered it was the daycare. I thought his murder was a hit and the killer knew he dropped the kids off, that way when he was murdered the children would not be with him.

scadagirl28, I'm gonna totally disagree with you. There is no baby carseat in the front seat. In fact, I am POSITIVE that if there were a baby carseat there, the police would've mentioned it because they have better access to all the car pictures than we do. In addition, a carseat would be another way to identify the vehicle along with the other peculiarities of the Prius. So the police would have every reason to mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18