GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #2 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two new articles, today, in the Tallahassee Democrat but I can't access them.

Empty your cookies and you will see the articles. The one I saw was really a rehash with nothing new, just asking questions.

To me possibility that the killers rented a Pruis to look like the neighbor's car says that Wendi is involved. Everyone will want to protect her but remember latex husband and who really would know about the neighbors car.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...t-we-dont-know-markel-investigation/85620842/
5:18 p.m. EDT June 11, 2016

Officials close to the investigation say the family remains in the Miami area and is being monitored, but nothing has officially been said about their whereabouts.
Who else is a suspect?

DeLeo says more arrests are coming. And while investigators won't name who those individuals may be, TPD's motion to seal Garcia's arrest affidavit cites "co-defendants" as well as "suspected co-defendants."

DeLeo, stopped short of naming the Adelsons as suspects, but the motion cited wealthy "suspected co-defendants" who discussed fleeing the country and have the means to do so

snip>
Did money change hands?

Police have not said whether money was paid out for Markel's killing.

Rivera and Garcia made an ATM transaction when they returned to North Miami on July 18. Security footage shows Rivera pulling up to an ATM in the alleged Prius getaway car at 6:46 p.m.

Garcia's arrest report does not disclose how much money Rivera withdrew.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...t-we-dont-know-markel-investigation/85620842/

anatomy_hit.png
Anatomy of a Hit
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...al-rift-between-tpd-sao-markel-case/85709698/
Emails reveal rift between TPD, SAO in Markel case
11:10 p.m. EDT June 11, 2016
Internal Tallahassee Police Department emails reveal acrimony with the State Attorney's Office in the days before and after the unforeseen release of documents in the Dan Markel murder investigation.

The emails, obtained by the Tallahassee Democrat, also expose TPD suspicions a State Attorney's Office investigator spilled unauthorized case information to the public.

"The way it sounds to me, the (State Attorney's Office) is not leaking, it's gushing," said TPD Lt. Mike Abbey in a May 31 email.

The messages point out tensions over unsealing the arrest report of 34-year-old Sigfredo Garcia, who faces a charge of first-degree murder in Markel's killing.

((I apologize in advance, because this is a bit more rambling than my typical writing style. I hope that it is at least somewhat possible to follow!))

The latest release from the Democrat has to do with the animosity and tension between TPD and SAO. It appears that TDO did a PRR for emails related to the case/release of the PCA (and/or emails within the period of time surrounding the motion to seal/SG's arrest/PCA being unsealed)... basically, a Lt. at TPD says that it appears that the SAO is not just leaking, but rather gushing, information that has not yet been made public. This is based on information they learned from a local citizen who claims she heard it from the wife of an investigator at SAO. Locally, there has been bit of controversy associated with said investigator in the last year or two, but at the end of the day, the elected state attorney, Willie Meggs, comes to his defense.

Theresa Flury, the attorney for TPD who filed the motion to seal the PCA, is married to Leon County Judge Ron Flury. They are easily two of the most well-respected members of the Tallahassee legal community. Judge Flury is a former assistant state attorney (who served under Meggs), and Theresa was an assistant public defender and later an assistant state attorney (who also served under Meggs), as well, before moving to the private sector. It is worth noting that Jack Campbell, the ASA who, according to TPD, agreed to keep the PCA sealed (apparently unbeknownst to Meggs and his second in command, Georgia), is the son of Larry Campbell, the late Sheriff of Leon County. Jack Campbell is currently running to replace Willie Meggs as the State Attorney for FL's 2nd Jud. Cir., and his father's successor, Mike Wood, is running to retain his inherited seat as the Leon County Sheriff.

As to a previous poster's comment about the burglary gone bad scenario not working out based on falling into a drainage ditch the day before the murder... the apartment complex mentioned (the Ashford Club) is next door to a Suntrust Bank. And by next door, I mean that they share a driveway -- and the shared driveway is what leads to the access to the trail/path that follows the ditch area behind Trescott Drive, which is located at the rear of the two properties. It is unlikely that the apartment complex has cameras covering that area, but it is possible that the bank does have cameras that at least capture the access to that area, if not the trailhead itself. It's certainly possible that they planned on a burglary gone wrong scenario, but it's also possible they were hoping to avoid detection by neighbors (and there are many people in that neighborhood who are home during the day -- from retired residents to stay at home moms) and realized that the apartment complex/bank surveillance was more of a risk than the handful of residents who might be home during the day on Trescott Drive.

Again, apologies for the rambling, but hopefully this helps provide some insight to others.

The secret witness is unnamed because he is thought to have possible gang ties and his life may be in danger from those associated with Rivera or Garcia. That's one of the reasons why investigators are upset about leaking the PC. The witness saw Rivera's silver-finished revolver. If you were not in the gang world, would you show anyone your revolver? Apparently, they wanted to have enough on Katherine Magbanua. But they just might not have anything against her until Garcia starts to talk. Rivera is at the very bottom. He probably does not know KM and may be someone Garcia dragged in to help him with the killing. Garcia had never done anything like this before and is probably inexperienced.

That picture of the Prius was available a few months after the murder. This suggests they probably knew about Garcia and Rivera for more than a year. They've been trying to connect the dots, to see what ties can be found between them and the Adelson family. It probably took some time (but not long) to tie Garcia to Magbanua but real detective work was necessary to tie Magbanua to Charlie Adelson. That's what kept this case going for so long. Looks like they had tips about that Prius from the Ashford Apartments immediately after Markel's neighbor reported seeing the car fleeing the scene. After checking surveillance videos where Markel visited, they probably figured out the plate number and the rental agency that rented to Rivera within a few months. They just couldn't tie them to those who ordered the hit. They still can't, actually, to be able to convict Charlie unless Garcia and Magbanua start talking.

Wendi probably had nothing to with them renting Prius. Prius is ideal for long-distance trips, is very quiet and are often available in tinted versions at rentals. It's an ideal getaway vehicle after committing murder because it's so quiet. It would be the vehicle of choice if you want to drive around in upper middle class neighborhoods. And the silver-pine-mica (light green) is the most popular version along with the light-blue. Garcia and Rivera were careful enough to rent one with tinted windows. They probably took these factors into consideration and chose Prius themselves.

And then there's this secret witness. Did they come forward and if so, when and how. This person holds a huge key . Was he/she the one who told Garcia he was about to be arrested? Was that planned by the cops to get Garcia to run?

I am surprised that the monetary transaction occurred on July 18 at 6:30pm as Dan had not been declared deceased until the next day.

From http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...t-we-dont-know-markel-investigation/85620842/ :

Did money change hands?

Police have not said whether money was paid out for Markel's killing.

Rivera and Garcia made an ATM transaction when they returned to North Miami on July 18. Security footage shows Rivera pulling up to an ATM in the alleged Prius getaway car at 6:46 p.m.

Garcia's arrest report does not disclose how much money Rivera withdrew.

We're not sure that was "the" monetary transaction.

Note to self;
If ever hired for a hit:

√ Steal car, then steal new plates, swapping for trip.
√ Use burner phones.
√ Sleep in car, do not rent room.
√ Pay cash for tolls, no electronic toll pass.
√ Consider going solo.

The secret witness is unnamed because he is thought to have possible gang ties and his life may be in danger from those associated with Rivera or Garcia. That's one of the reasons why investigators are upset about leaking the PC. The witness saw Rivera's silver-finished revolver. If you were not in the gang world, would you show anyone your revolver? Apparently, they wanted to have enough on Katherine Magbanua. But they just might not have anything against her until Garcia starts to talk. Rivera is at the very bottom. He probably does not know KM and may be someone Garcia dragged in to help him with the killing. Garcia had never done anything like this before and is probably inexperienced.

That picture of the Prius was available a few months after the murder. This suggests they probably knew about Garcia and Rivera for more than a year. They've been trying to connect the dots, to see what ties can be found between them and the Adelson family. It probably took some time (but not long) to tie Garcia to Magbanua but real detective work was necessary to tie Magbanua to Charlie Adelson. That's what kept this case going for so long. Looks like they had tips about that Prius from the Ashford Apartments immediately after Markel's neighbor reported seeing the car fleeing the scene. After checking surveillance videos where Markel visited, they probably figured out the plate number and the rental agency that rented to Rivera within a few months. They just couldn't tie them to those who ordered the hit. They still can't, actually, to be able to convict Charlie unless Garcia and Magbanua start talking.

Wendi probably had nothing to with them renting Prius. Prius is ideal for long-distance trips, is very quiet and are often available in tinted versions at rentals. It's an ideal getaway vehicle after committing murder because it's so quiet. It would be the vehicle of choice if you want to drive around in upper middle class neighborhoods. And the silver-pine-mica (light green) is the most popular version along with the light-blue. Garcia and Rivera were careful enough to rent one with tinted windows. They probably took these factors into consideration and chose Prius themselves.
Excellent post!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Empty your cookies and you will see the articles. The one I saw was really a rehash with nothing new, just asking questions.

To me possibility that the killers rented a Pruis to look like the neighbor's car says that Wendi is involved. Everyone will want to protect her but remember latex husband and who really would know about the neighbors car.

Thanks Colette.

See "Rivera ATM transaction"
on page 6 of 6 of Probable Cause of Sigfredo Garcia. It states:

"Analysis of Rivera ' s checking account revealed an ATM transaction took place on July 18, 2014 at 6:46 p.m. as they were returning to North Miami from Tallahassee, Florida." *Skip to*
"Viewing the bank video, Rivera is seen completing the ATM transaction."

According to the PC an ATM transaction did take place by Rivera on July 18, 2014 at 6:46 p.m. in North Miami but it did not say specifically what kind.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Note to self;
If ever hired for a hit:

√ Use burner phones.
√ Consider going solo.
Just say NO. 😊

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I'm new to this case, and I'm wondering.... who do we expect to be arrested next? Could it be the CA and KM?

((I apologize in advance, because this is a bit more rambling than my typical writing style. I hope that it is at least somewhat possible to follow!))

The latest release from the Democrat has to do with the animosity and tension between TPD and SAO. It appears that TDO did a PRR for emails related to the case/release of the PCA (and/or emails within the period of time surrounding the motion to seal/SG's arrest/PCA being unsealed)... basically, a Lt. at TPD says that it appears that the SAO is not just leaking, but rather gushing, information that has not yet been made public. This is based on information they learned from a local citizen who claims she heard it from the wife of an investigator at SAO. Locally, there has been bit of controversy associated with said investigator in the last year or two, but at the end of the day, the elected state attorney, Willie Meggs, comes to his defense.

Theresa Flury, the attorney for TPD who filed the motion to seal the PCA, is married to Leon County Judge Ron Flury. They are easily two of the most well-respected members of the Tallahassee legal community. Judge Flury is a former assistant state attorney (who served under Meggs), and Theresa was an assistant public defender and later an assistant state attorney (who also served under Meggs), as well, before moving to the private sector. It is worth noting that Jack Campbell, the ASA who, according to TPD, agreed to keep the PCA sealed (apparently unbeknownst to Meggs and his second in command, Georgia), is the son of Larry Campbell, the late Sheriff of Leon County. Jack Campbell is currently running to replace Willie Meggs as the State Attorney for FL's 2nd Jud. Cir., and his father's successor, Mike Wood, is running to retain his inherited seat as the Leon County Sheriff.

As to a previous poster's comment about the burglary gone bad scenario not working out based on falling into a drainage ditch the day before the murder... the apartment complex mentioned (the Ashford Club) is next door to a Suntrust Bank. And by next door, I mean that they share a driveway -- and the shared driveway is what leads to the access to the trail/path that follows the ditch area behind Trescott Drive, which is located at the rear of the two properties. It is unlikely that the apartment complex has cameras covering that area, but it is possible that the bank does have cameras that at least capture the access to that area, if not the trailhead itself. It's certainly possible that they planned on a burglary gone wrong scenario, but it's also possible they were hoping to avoid detection by neighbors (and there are many people in that neighborhood who are home during the day -- from retired residents to stay at home moms) and realized that the apartment complex/bank surveillance was more of a risk than the handful of residents who might be home during the day on Trescott Drive.

Again, apologies for the rambling, but hopefully this helps provide some insight to others.

Welcome to Ws sugarbean!
Very informative post, and if this is how you "ramble", you must be a very fine writer!

I doubt the bank transaction is linked to possible monetary compensation for the crime. I imagine it's listed as part of re-tracing the suspects movements in the days leading up to and following DM's execution.

That ATM transaction was to locate Garcia and Rivera on their Tallahassee-to-Miami itinerary. Remember, this is a circumstantial case. There is no direct witness to the shooting. All we have is a neighbor who witnessed the green Prius fleeing the crime scene. So they have to place these two Miami residents in Tallahassee and demonstrate how they got there. If you read the PC carefully, they don't even say exactly where the ATM transaction took place: it's somewhere between Tallahassee and North Miami but closer to Miami since 7 hours had passed since the shooting. These cell phone tower data, toll records, rental car receipts, surveillance videos from adjacent premises and buses, and even the ATM transaction are used to place these two in Tallahassee or on their way or returning from Tallahassee. It is intended to show that these Miami residents, who had no business being in Tallahassee, were there to commit the crime.

The ATM transaction probably had nothing to do with the crime. Kathy Magbanua would have to be an idiot to wire a large sum of money to Rivera's bank account right after the killing. More than likely they were paid in cash: Charlie to Kathy, Kathy to Garcia, and Garcia to Rivera. People do contract killings for as little as $10,000 cash. This was an out-of-town killing which involved 2 contractors, 2 separate trips, staying 2 nights at 2 different motels, casing the joint, and following Markel around for 2 days to minimize collateral damage to ensure that the kids are not present when Markel's killed. I'd be surprised if they did this for less than $25,000. Probably more like $30,000 - $80,000. But remember, money is not exactly an issue for the contractee(s) here. The Adelsons own 3 Mercedes, 2 Lexus and a Ferrari, which Wendi and Charlie used to drive. They were probably paid above the going rate and told to take extra care to leave the kids untouched and not leave their fingerprints anywhere:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...te-wife-young-sons-bitter-divorce-family.html

See "Rivera ATM transaction"
on page 6 of 6 of Probable Cause of Sigfredo Garcia. It states: "Analysis of Rivera ' s checking account revealed an ATM transaction took place on July 18, 2014 at 6:46 p.m. as they were returning to North Miami from Tallahassee, Florida." *Skip to* "Viewing the bank video, Rivera is seen completing the ATM transaction."

Note to self;
If ever hired for a hit:

√ Use burner phones.
√ Consider going solo.

....and add think about getting a regular day job

I'm new to this case, and I'm wondering.... who do we expect to be arrested next? Could it be the CA and KM?

Leo stated 5 or 6.

2 down so 3 or 4 to go.

Imo. Garcia’s ex that was involved with Wendis brother.

Then Wendis brother.

Then possibly granny.

And I think the other person would have been the one that rented them the room. But since he has truly helped connect the dots of of the gun that Luis had plus other things. Then they may just use him as a witness and not a suspect for now.

Jmo.

On a personal note, I went to law school with Dan and knew him as an acquaintance. Fifteen years out of law school, I forgot a lot of people's names but Dan was one of those people that I would not be surprised was at least acquaintances with most of the 550 people in the whole class! Very smart, on harvard law review. I saw his blog and was just about to email him that summer though i was not sure he would remember me about going into academia since he seemed so welcoming on his blog about new people. It is so sad for his family that this happened.

As for the case, I don't know how a defense attorney could defend the perps so far - the circumstantial case is strong, there is strong evidence of premeditation (can't argue insanity), so I think the only way they can avoid death penalty is to make a deal - and give up the hirer. Because really, is some defense attorney going to argue they were not in Tallahassee? That the witness is lying? That the cell phone records are bogus? That they did not rent the Prius? That the neighbor is mistaken about what car they saw? That the apartment witness is lying? Maybe one thing you could get away with but the sum total is very strong. You can't get out of this (especially if this is a death penalty case) unless you make a deal

i am also concerned about the reasonable doubt that could potentially let the hirer get away. It could be multiple people that were the hirer but they could all start blaming each other and the current arrestees could potentially have only dealt with one person. I am not so sure that people further down the chain will be held accountable because how will you prove it beyond a reasonable doubt? Plus, it could be one person takes the fall for the whole family. In any event, whoever did the hiring surely did not love the children

I also think it is doubly cruel to have planned the murder on the day that Dan had the kids. Unless the mother was going to pick them up at school, I think that Dan would have been the one to pick them up that day after school - they would have been waiting for him and would have very confused why he was not there and then to learn that he was murdered. That day will forever be etched in their brains and it is just insanely cruel to do what they did.

On a personal note, I went to law school with Dan and knew him as an acquaintance. Fifteen years out of law school, I forgot a lot of people's names but Dan was one of those people that I would not be surprised was at least acquaintances with most of the 550 people in the whole class! Very smart, on harvard law review. I saw his blog and was just about to email him that summer though i was not sure he would remember me about going into academia since he seemed so welcoming on his blog about new people. It is so sad for his family that this happened.

As for the case, I don't know how a defense attorney could defend the perps so far - the circumstantial case is strong, there is strong evidence of premeditation (can't argue insanity), so I think the only way they can avoid death penalty is to make a deal - and give up the hirer. Because really, is some defense attorney going to argue they were not in Tallahassee? That the witness is lying? That the cell phone records are bogus? That they did not rent the Prius? That the neighbor is mistaken about what car they saw? That the apartment witness is lying? Maybe one thing you could get away with but the sum total is very strong. You can't get out of this (especially if this is a death penalty case) unless you make a deal

i am also concerned about the reasonable doubt that could potentially let the hirer get away. It could be multiple people that were the hirer but they could all start blaming each other and the current arrestees could potentially have only dealt with one person. I am not so sure that people further down the chain will be held accountable because how will you prove it beyond a reasonable doubt? Plus, it could be one person takes the fall for the whole family. In any event, whoever did the hiring surely did not love the children

I also think it is doubly cruel to have planned the murder on the day that Dan had the kids. Unless the mother was going to pick them up at school, I think that Dan would have been the one to pick them up that day after school - they would have been waiting for him and would have very confused why he was not there and then to learn that he was murdered. That day will forever be etched in their brains and it is just insanely cruel to do what they did.

Yellow. Thanks. Agree.

Imo. Dan Markel was a man amongst all others.

He strived and accomplished and was willing to deal with things for the sake of keeping his family united.

But Imo. Wendi led her family to believe that Dan was something else.

Which is very sad on her part.

I guarantee that Wendi cried on every shoulder she came across while divorcing dan with the hopes of someone becoming her knight and shining armor. Jmo.

Imo. Wendi may not have been involved. But she sure made sure that she put the word out to anyone that listened about how unhappy she was with Dan during the divorce with the hopes of someone saving the day without her knowing.

Jmo.

Wendi is smarter than the average bear. Lol.

In any event, whoever did the hiring surely did not love the children

Snipped by me. The plan was most likely kill Dan after he took the children to daycare which was what happened. The killers followed him around that day so they knew the children were dropped off and not with him. Whomever planned the murder wanted the kids in daycare and not with Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper