GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #2 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still curious about this!

I'm working on it Daun, just want to be through and make sure I have proof of my facts that support my opinions. Still think it motive #1 WA's financial affidavit , motive #2 DA's motive listed on PC and motive #3 are all interwoven and the #3 was the final straw that removed all hesitation to murder Dan because of Motive #1 and Motive #2.

I'm working on it Daun, just want to be through and make sure I have proof of my facts that support my opinions. Still think it motive #1 WA's financial affidavit , motive #2 DA's motive listed on PC and motive #3 are all interwoven and the #3 was the final straw that removed all hesitation to murder Dan because of Motive #1 and Motive #2.

Definitely interested to hear your theories...

I just got the docs! Includes ALL attachments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They got a speeding ticket doing 90. Explains the great time they made. Looks like Rivera was alone on the "first" trip,or Garcia's phone was off. The plot thickens. I was right about the GPS tracking device in the first rental vehicle. The biggest let down is the SA is clearly holding on to the good stuff --- all the texts, voicemails, emails, etc. But they are referenced now.

Thanks for all these tallyeng, good work! I don't think there's any question they were together for the first (June) trip .... the quote on Garcia's phone is that "No records with location information have been provided for [SG's phone] for this time period." So they just couldn't get them for whatever reason (e.g. phone turned off, as you say; maybe a problem with the cell phone provider). But other places in the docs assume it to be true that they traveled together in June. In the PCA for Garcia for instance the witness who set up the hotel talked about seeing the gun the first time he met LR and SG in June.

Doc also states that the rental car from second trip was also equipped with GPS.

LE really did go through some major hoops unraveling this complicated case, kudos to them and to tallyeng for going that extra mile!!

Did i understand correctly that in June, calls were made from the motel to an address at the FSU campus?
If so, who would that person likely be?
imo.

Thanks for all these tallyeng, good work! I don't think there's any question they were together for the first (June) trip .... the quote on Garcia's phone is that "No records with location information have been provided for [SG's phone] for this time period." So they just couldn't get them for whatever reason (e.g. phone turned off, as you say; maybe a problem with the cell phone provider). But other places in the docs assume it to be true that they traveled together in June. In the PCA for Garcia for instance the witness who set up the hotel talked about seeing the gun the first time he met LR and SG in June.

Doc also states that the rental car from second trip was also equipped with GPS.

Exhibit B states that during the course of the investigation LE learned that Rivera and Garcia stayed at the Budget Inn in Tallahassee in June. They then go on to say that cell communications from "the handset" (i.e., one handset) are consistent with them spending the night at the Budget Inn. But they don't say whose handset. They also say that during the investigation LE learned that Rivera and Garcia rented a car with a surreptitious tracking device in June. They then discuss a single handset apparently having been used to conduct surveillance on the victim on June 5th. They repeatedly refer to a single handset without specifying whose number it was. It sounds like you're right -- I would bet that Rivera had his phone turned on, Garcia had his phone turned off, and LE learned that they were staying at the Budget Inn in June from the witness. Wonder how they learned that *both* Rivera and Garcia "rented a car with surreptitious tracking" -- maybe they learned from the witness that the two had rented the car together, and the rental agency confirmed the rental and provided info regarding the tracking device. Just speculating here based on what's in the affidavit.

This may be a naive question, but can LE gain access to the substance of the text messages through a warrant served on the cell carrier(s)?
ETA: According to this report from Propublica, the answer is yes: "[FONT=&quot]Investigators need only a court order or a subpoena, not a warrant, to get text messages that are at least 180 days old from a cell provider — the same standard as emails. Many carriers charge authorities a fee to provide texts and other information. Sprint charges $30 for access to a customer's texts, according to [/FONT]documents obtained by the ACLU in 2012[FONT=&quot], while Verizon charges $50." [/FONT]https://www.propublica.org/special/no-warrant-no-problem-how-the-government-can-still-get-your-digital-data
So does that mean that LE could already have access to text messages for SG, LR, KM and other suspects or persons of interest?

LE really did go through some major hoops unraveling this complicated case, kudos to them and to tallyeng for going that extra mile!!

Did i understand correctly that in June, calls were made from the motel to an address at the FSU campus?
If so, who would that person likely be?
imo.

Actually I think what you are referring to is that calls made from the hotel used a cell tower that is on FSU's campus (the hotel was very close).

Exhibit B states that during the course of the investigation LE learned that Rivera and Garcia stayed at the Budget Inn in Tallahassee in June. They then go on to say that cell communications from "the handset" (i.e., one handset) are consistent with them spending the night at the Budget Inn. But they don't say whose handset. They also say that during the investigation LE learned that Rivera and Garcia rented a car with a surreptitious tracking device in June. They then discuss a single handset apparently having been used to conduct surveillance on the victim on June 5th. They repeatedly refer to a single handset without specifying whose number it was. It sounds like you're right -- I would bet that Rivera had his phone turned on, Garcia had his phone turned off, and LE learned that they were staying at the Budget Inn in June from the witness. Wonder how they learned that *both* Rivera and Garcia "rented a car with surreptitious tracking" -- maybe they learned from the witness that the two had rented the car together, and the rental agency confirmed the rental and provided info regarding the tracking device. Just speculating here based on what's in the affidavit.

This may be a naive question, but can LE gain access to the substance of the text messages through a warrant served on the cell carrier(s)?

The single handset referred to for the June trip was Rivera's .... it's on page 1 of Attachment B in the "June Trip" paragraph.

I'm not 100% sure about your last question ... pretty sure they can but it may require access to the physical phone as opposed to going through the cell carrier (?).

can LE gain access to the substance of the text messages through a warrant served on the cell carrier(s)?

I can tell you, with 100% certainty, that they have everything. That's what I keep referring to as the 'juicy' details. In time, we'll see all of the texts and emails and more between the murder duo, KM, & the A Family.

I can tell you, with 100% certainty, that they have everything. That's what I keep referring to as the 'juicy' details. In time, we'll see all of the texts and emails and more between the murder duo, KM, & the A Family.

Certainly the family was smart enough to know this was the case, and that their texts and emails would be examined, and they would likely be wire-tapped even??????
And that deleting messages off your cellphone doesn't eliminate them from the eyes of the police?
These are doctors and professors....

Also isn't it odd that the Tallahassee Democrat hasn't written any of this up? How does WebSleuths scoop the media- Democrat, WCTV and WTXL? Maybe LE doesn't want this information disclosed for some reason? Too late but worth considering- is this interfering with the investigation?

Cell phone carriers either don't retain text message content at all, or do so for only a very short period. So only rarely would LE be able to obtain such content directly from the carrier: https://www.aclu.org/cell-phone-loc...ponse-cell-phone-company-data-retention-chart

LE can get text messages (including "deleted" ones) directly from a phone: http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/22/technology/mobile/smartphone-forensics/

I don't think we know whether LE has obtained the actual phones Garcia or Rivera were using in July 2014. I'm sure those would be treasure troves.

Certainly the family was smart enough to know this was the case, and that their texts and emails would be examined, and they would likely be wire-tapped even??????
And that deleting messages off your cellphone doesn't eliminate them from the eyes of the police?

Also isn't it odd that the Tallahassee Democrat hasn't written any of this up? How does WebSleuths scoop the media- Democrat, WCTV and WTXL? Maybe LE doesn't want this information disclosed for some reason? Too late but worth considering- is this interfering with the investigation?

Probably because there isn't all that much more they can add to a sensational headline - or perhaps they're more in the know than us and are waiting to break something new. I've seen a lot of references to some court happening in July that's going to spill a lot of beans. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Probably because there isn't all that much more they can add to a sensational headline - or perhaps they're more in the know than us and are waiting to break something new. I've seen a lot of references to some court happening in July that's going to spill a lot of beans. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I know they've said the grand jury is reconvening next month (July). Obviously they are hearing more evidence, presumably to indict Katherine. Wish they were indicting others, but I won't hold my breath. I think they will indict Katherine and begin to lean in on her for information, hard.

I would've thought so, but I think they've been given too much credit. Look who they hired! It's like they thought because Garcia and Rivera were in the Latin Kings they would pull some traceless professional hit like out of the movies. It's as if they didn't recognize they were just two uneducated drug dealers who probably desperately wanted the cash. Then they left a trail of breadcrumbs along the entire state. The media and law enforcement like to make organized crime seem much more "organized" than it actually is...but they should have known the difference. They also should have hired someone with more degrees of separation - CA's girlfriend's ex??

LE also seems to have accessed Charlie's phone records. The PC affidavit: "Call records show Magbanua as one of Charlie's top contacts." I think it's standard for LE to initially ask family if they can look at their cell phones. If that happened in the early days of the investigation, I wonder what response LE got.

Shower thought: anyone else think the ATM stop once they returned to Miami after the hit was to check the account balance? I think they were only at the ATM for 2 minutes. How hysterical would it be if there was a delicious paper trail that leads to a deposit in Rivera's checking account!! Hmmmmm. Beginning to think as someone posted above the adelsons thought this would work like the movies and this is going to start getting hilarious.

Shower thought: anyone else think the ATM stop once they returned to Miami after the hit was to check the account balance? I think they were only at the ATM for 2 minutes. How hysterical would it be if there was a delicious paper trail that leads to a deposit in Rivera's checking account!! Hmmmmm. Beginning to think as someone posted above the adelsons thought this would work like the movies and this is going to start getting hilarious.

Lol. Did you notice how Garcia was looking at the atm very closely while Luis was conducting business. Lol.

2 broke thieves salivating for the murder payout via a atm transaction. Lol

I'm guessing it won't be that easy- there might be some forensic accounting stuff but it's probably all cash.
I thought Garcia was looking directly at the ATM camera, maybe anxious.

But yes, everyone involved in this thing has watched too much TV, apparently. I'm still stunned that well-educated people can be this stupid.

Rivera just got to Tallahassee. Nothing interesting beyond that, and weird that the Democrat doesn't mention the earlier trip, speeding ticket, etc. It's a boring article re-using old material.

Only new information:

>Rivera was booked into the Leon County Jail on Tuesday. He will be represented by a public defender and was ordered to not have any contact with his co-defendant Sigfredo Garcia and Markel's family.

>Rivera appeared in a red and white striped jumpsuit and was soft spoken and calm throughout the hearing, which lasted about 5 minutes.

LE also seems to have accessed Charlie's phone records. The PC affidavit: "Call records show Magbanua as one of Charlie's top contacts." I think it's standard for LE to initially ask family if they can look at their cell phones. If that happened in the early days of the investigation, I wonder what response LE got.

Rumor is they have not been cooperative.

I don't know this for a fact but imo, a dentist's office (especially one w / hi tech
machinery,) would be a perfect place to launder some money. Especially when the one keeping the books is....... our favorite MIL.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member