GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #3 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the problem that Rivera doesn't know enough to take down anyone besides Garcia; and Garcia doesn't want to take down KM, which would happen if he takes down CA?
Speculation and MOO.

Well, the PC affidavit mentions them all meeting after they returned from Tallahassee...I think Rivera must at least know enough to take-down KM.

Wondering why it took two alleged hit-men to kill one man sitting in a car?

Wondering why it took two alleged hit-men to kill one man sitting in a car?

They wanted it to go smooth. The shooter shoots him, hops in the car and the driver speeds away and they probably needed each other for support in their deadly deed.

So are the SAO and DeLeo really having this feud in public in the pages of the Democrat, or is this just kabuki? Also, wasn't there a reference somewhere to some surveillance indicating that the A's were planning to flee? Isn't that the kind of "additional evidence" that might prompt the SAO to bring charges. IMHO, just speculating as always.

So are the SAO and DeLeo really having this feud in public in the pages of the Democrat, or is this just kabuki? Also, wasn't there a reference somewhere to some surveillance indicating that the A's were planning to flee? Isn't that the kind of "additional evidence" that might prompt the SAO to bring charges. IMHO, just speculating as always.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...amily-fsu-slain-professor-20160603-story.html
Tallahassee police initially did not want to tip their hand and had attempted to keep the court records sealed, but a judge unsealed them. "Suspected co-defendants have the financial means to flee the country and to not return, and in fact have already been discovered talking about leaving," a lawyer who represents the department wrote in court records.

http://www.wtxl.com/news/police-con...cle_1ba28d78-29c6-11e6-b8e9-438ab421bbda.html
Police Concerned Possible Markel Suspects May Leave Country

• Jun 3, 2016
Documents released on Friday show that police wanted to keep reports surrounding Garcia's arrest sealed out of fear that unnamed co-defendants would learn more about the investigation and possibly flee the country.

Those documents even say that police believed the possible co-defendants had the finances to leave permanently and that they had already discovered there were talks of them leaving.
Officers also say in the document that the information could also jeopardize the safety of witnesses.

They wanted it to go smooth. The shooter shoots him, hops in the car and the driver speeds away and they probably needed each other for support in their deadly deed.

That, and despite all the money, this wasn't a very professional job. Garcia wanted someone to do coke with while he was bored driving.

Revisiting WA's podcasts now is jarring given what LE has told us about the case in recent weeks. Among other things, LE has told us that:
1. WA and the rest of the family began stonewalling LE immediately after Dan's memorial service; the family then never inquired about the status of the investigation
2. WA vomited on the table at a dinner held by CA three weeks after the murder to "celebrate" Dan's death (according to Lacasse)
3. CA had long joked to WA and others about hiring a hit man to kill Dan,
4. WA's first reaction when questioned by LE was to spill "my brother!" though she later said he could never do such a thing.
5. WA expressed relief to the victim's advocate that her mother sounded "surprised" when informed that Dan had been killed
6. The A's had apparently "looked into" hiring a hitman for $15k the summer before Dan was killed (IIRC, this alleged fact was divulged by one of WA's ex boyfriend's, in which case it presumably would have been known to WA)
Etc.

With all of that in mind, and assuming it's all true, it seems very likely that WA knew or had good reason to believe that her family was very likely involved in Dan's death, either immediately after Dan was killed or some time in the following weeks/months (I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt here - perhaps she had detailed/direct knowledge in advance of the crime but I don't think we've seen any direct evidence of that). Assuming that she knew or understood after the fact that her family was very likely involved, and perhaps even knew ahead of time that CA was allegedly looking into the matter in connection with the alleged $15k inquiries, it's chilling to me that she could have made the following statements, as if she and her family were merely completely innocent bystanders to the whole series of events:

"[Police interrogated me for 8 straight hours]...Cus it's usually the ex wife."
"Ten months ago, someone killed the father of my children. First we got divorced, then he got murdered. [Joke about 'Latex Spouse.'] Last July someone, and we still don't know who, shot my ex husband point blank in the back of the head as he pulled into our garage after driving our then 3 and 4 year old sons to preschool."

"It feels sacrilegious these days even to suggest something less than heroic about my Latex Husband because he was murdered. He died violently and young, and likely at the hands of a professional killer. And the media had a field day in response. [Expresses frustration at media scrutiny and having been 'treated as a murder suspect and not the mother of two fatherless boys.']"
"[My mother] has completely changed her life because mine fell apart. I write letters to her in my head every day, ones of immense gratitude, for facilitating my return from the bottom."
"Danny used to tell me that everyone used to tell me that I was such a nice person and such a good person, but he was the only one that knew the truth about what a bad person I was. He was convinced I had deluded everyone but him."
"I think for me a lot of the additional pain I felt on top of the murder and everything associated was that it felt unfair that I couldn't at least tell my own story, that the story got told for me, so I think there was an aspect of empowerment, of being able to say no this is my side of the story, this is what things looked like from my perspective."
"When D was killed, the media already had a field day with me, our acrimonious divorce, and my potential involvement in the murder of my children's father. So in a sense, they had already taken from me most of the things I would fear I would lose, like my professional identity, this veneer of safety we sell ourselves, and any semblance of privacy."
"I [now] know how tenuous and precious life is, and know that it could be snuffed out in an instant. I mean, if the man I thought I'd spend my life with could be murdered on a sunny summer morning, then what's to stop me from getting cancer and leaving my children orphaned."

I'm definitely not opining on her guilt or innocence here. Maybe she had no specific advance knowledge ahead of time. But if she could go on the podcast and make these statements, and otherwise speak about the murder with all of the knowledge that she seems to have had at the time of the podcast, she has some major cojones. What I find troubling is that she's acting like this murder was a freak occurrence and clutching her pearls at the notion that the media could suggest that she was involved with Dan's killing, while the evidence appears to strongly suggest that she likely knew or should have known at the time when she made these comments that the crime had allegedly been ordered by a member or members of her family, and that it was done on her behalf and for her benefit (whether she knew ahead of time or not).

IMHO, speculation based on the evidence that's been presented to the public. Everyone accused should of course be presumed innocent until proven guilty in court.

http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/...former-brother-in-law-and-his-girlfriend.html
rbbm.
I'm curious to hear what my readers with relevant expertise think: is there really not a very good circumstantial case here? And without it, how will the motives of the killers awaiting trial be established?

One wonders if the Markel family will bring a civil action against the Adelson family (though probably not against the mother of their grandchildren, who seems the least implicated in all this given the circumstantial evidence). ANOTHER: Here's the full police account of the evidence implicating Charlie Adelson. It's extremely damning, and also suggests that the Adelson parents knew about this too. Why haven't Garcia or Rivera flipped? One possibility is they haven't been offered enough of a deal to make it worthwhile

The talk on Leiter's blog about a civil action seems misplaced. The statute of limitations for a wrongful death action in Florida is two years, so a lawsuit had to have been filed by July 18, 2016. As far as I'm aware, no such lawsuit was ever filed.

The talk on Leiter's blog about a civil action seems misplaced. The statute of limitations for a wrongful death action in Florida is two years, so a lawsuit had to have been filed by July 18, 2016. As far as I'm aware, no such lawsuit was ever filed.

Actually, I think that Florida eliminated the statute of limitations for wrongful death by homicide in 2010 (the Jeffrey Klee Memorial Act of 2010).

ND2014 is correct. Section 10 of the statute provides:

[SIZE=-1](10) FOR INTENTIONAL TORTS RESULTING IN DEATH FROM ACTS DESCRIBED IN S. 782.04 OR S. 782.07.—Notwithstanding paragraph (4)(d), an action for wrongful death seeking damages authorized under s. 768.21 brought against a natural person for an intentional tort resulting in death from acts described in s. 782.04 or s. 782.07 may be commenced at any time. This subsection shall not be construed to require an arrest, the filing of formal criminal charges, or a conviction for a violation of s. 782.04 or s. 782.07 as a condition for filing a civil action.

[/SIZE]

"One wonders if the Markel family will bring a civil action against the Adelson family (though probably not against the mother of their grandchildren, who seems the least implicated in all this given the circumstantial evidence). ANOTHER: Here's the full police account of the evidence implicating Charlie Adelson. It's extremely damning, and also suggests that the Adelson parents knew about this too. Why haven't Garcia or Rivera flipped? One possibility is they haven't been offered enough of a deal to make it worthwhile"

Personally there might be evidence against grandma, she wrote a lot of checks and wanted to pay a blackmailer (undercover cop).

attachment.php

Attachments

• link.jpg
    link.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 218
According to BOTH Garcia and Rivera's court docket, an ORDER TO EXTEND A SPEEDY TRIAL was filed today. The court, defense or SA are pushing this out longer. I wonder why?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-tracked-caught-suspected-hit-men-murder-fsu/story?id=42064896
Sept. 14 2016

How Police Tracked Down and Caught 2 Suspected Hit Men in FSU Professor Murder Case

Markel was shot twice in the head and left for dead. He died in a hospital about 15 hours later.

Below is a timeline based on police information about how investigators say they were able to track down the two suspects, the alleged hit men that police say were enlisted to kill Dan Markel on July 18, 2014. Watch the full story on ABC News "20/20" this Friday, Sept. 16 at 10 p.m. ET.

During her interview, Adelson told police about Jeffrey Lacasse, who was a fellow FSU professor and had been dating Adelson for nine months at the time. She said Lacasse “didn’t like Danny because Danny hurt me.”

Two nights after questioning Adelson, police brought in Lacasse for questioning on July 21.
Police verified that Lacasse had been hundreds of miles away at the time of the murder, but over the course of three lengthly interviews, Lacasse gave police his theories about the crime.
Lacasse told police to not focus on Adelson but on her parents and her brother Charles in south Florida, who ran the family dentistry business.
“They hate Danny in a way. I have never seen this kind of obsession. I mean, their hobby is hating Danny,” Lacasse is heard telling police on video recorded during his interview. “I would just say, I would be investigating Charlie Adelson. I don't know if he did this, but if you are looking at someone, don't miss him.”

WA tried to cast suspicion on her new and temporary beau, a fellow professor?!
Iirc, the divorce papers did not indicate any physical abuse or infidelity, why did WA repeatedly say in one way or another, that DM did not treat her well, hurt her ect?
Definitely do not want to say anything negative about the deceased, but what did DM supposedly do that ruffled feathers to that degree, besides not read his wife's book, and travel to NY for work/research?
imo, speculation.

According to BOTH Garcia and Rivera's court docket, an ORDER TO EXTEND A SPEEDY TRIAL was filed today. The court, defense or SA are pushing this out longer. I wonder why?
9/14/2016 ORDER EXTENDING SPEEDY TRIAL PERIOD
There is the ORDER, but no MOTION is listed on the docket prior to the ORDER. Where is the MOTION? Perhaps it’s not yet posted on the online docket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3