GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #3 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the grand jury is convening today, is this correct? I'm sorry for asking what is probably a dumb question since I don't follow as closely as some of you, but what is the purpose? Do we know?
In Florida, only a grand jury can issue a first degree murder indictment. So will probably see an upgrade to first degree for the two perps in custody. That's when the death penalty will formally be on the table and we'll hopefully see one of them make a deal.

The grand jury could also indict others at this time, if there is sufficient evidence. Or other indictments may come later.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

In Florida, only a grand jury can issue a first degree murder indictment. So will probably see an upgrade to first degree for the two perps in custody. That's when the death penalty will formally be on the table

both are already charged with first-degree murder. they are both facing death penalty. check court website.
IOW this already happened.

In Florida, only a grand jury can issue a first degree murder indictment. So will probably see an upgrade to first degree for the two perps in custody. That's when the death penalty will formally be on the table and we'll hopefully see one of them make a deal.

The grand jury could also indict others at this time, if there is sufficient evidence. Or other indictments may come later.

Here is a June news article about the previous grand jury indictments:
http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Leo...ew-Markel-murder-case-Thursday-383243371.html
Leon County grand jury indicts two in murder of FSU professor
June 17, 2016
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) – A Leon County grand jury has handed down indictments in the murder of Florida State University law professor Dan Markel.
Friday, Sigfredo Garcia and Luis Rivera were both indicted on first degree murder charges.
[…]

If SG and LR are found guilty, would they really be likely to be executed, what about other possible players in this case, what could happen to them?
Why did the family wait so long to deny the allegations?
imo.
http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Ex-...professor-denies-role-in-death-389156091.html
Attorneys for Wendi Adelson and several family members issued a statement Wednesday saying speculation of their involvement in Markel's killing is categorically false.

Both men are awaiting a November trial on murder charges and prosecutors say they are seeking the death penalty.

Here is a June news article about the previous grand jury indictments:
http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Leo...ew-Markel-murder-case-Thursday-383243371.html
Leon County grand jury indicts two in murder of FSU professor
June 17, 2016
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) – A Leon County grand jury has handed down indictments in the murder of Florida State University law professor Dan Markel.
Friday, Sigfredo Garcia and Luis Rivera were both indicted on first degree murder charges.
[…]
Sorry, forgot they had already gone through the grand jury process for those two!

So hopefully one or both have made a deal and is testifying before the grand jury!

Is there a way to find out when the grand jury is meeting today? I tried looking around their cases on the clerk or court but didn't see anything. Is the schedule info available anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was CA just " hanging out " or "seeing" KM?
Reaching here, but is there any chance at all, that SG or someone he might have to answer to, want to frame the family, or even mistook DM for CA ?
speculation, imo.

http://abovethelaw.com/2016/08/the-dan-markel-murder-case-the-adelson-family-speaks/
rbbm.
There are no communications connecting Sigfredo Garcia to Charlie Adelson in any way, as one might expect if the two were involved in a murder-for-hire plot.
The relationship between Charlie Adelson and Katherine Magbanua — the only real connection between the Adelsons and Sigfredo Garcia, the father of two children with Magbanua — was not particularly serious, more in the nature of “hanging out” as opposed to real dating.
Katherine Magbanua’s communications have been extensively searched and analyzed, and nothing in them has connected Garcia to the Adelsons in any such plot, as one might expect if Magbanua were acting as the conduit.
Sigfredo Garcia did not like the fact that Charlie was seeing Katherine.

That’s a lot of new information. What does it all mean? Right now it seems there are far more questions than answers in this case. We might learn more if and when Garcia and Rivera go to trial, but that’s still a few months away.

" Very unique case "
Aug 3 2016
[video=youtube;UVdINxMgAKU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVdINxMgAKU[/video]

Reaching here, but is there any chance at all, that SG or someone he might have to answer to, want to frame the family, or even mistook DM for CA ?
speculation, imo.

http://abovethelaw.com/2016/08/the-dan-markel-murder-case-the-adelson-family-speaks/
rbbm.
I think we can rule out mistaken identity, given they had to drive hundreds of miles.

Really, how in heck would they even have known anything about DM?

How often does someone know anything about their old girlfriend's new boyfriend's sister's ex-husband who lives hundreds of miles away? Right down to his address?

I can see how old boyfriend meets new boyfriend, or new girlfriend meets sister, but I can't get to the next link, let alone two more links.

ETA. I think any sort of revenge or framing motive is very unlikely, and if that were the motive, they would have chosen a local target that's easier to get to.

I think we can rule out mistaken identity, given they had to drive hundreds of miles.

Really, how in heck would they even have known anything about DM?

How often does someone know anything about their old girlfriend's new boyfriend's sister's ex-husband who lives hundreds of miles away? Right down to his address?

I can see how old boyfriend meets new boyfriend, or new girlfriend meets sister, but I can't get to the next link, let alone two more links.

ETA. I think any sort of revenge or framing motive is very unlikely, and if that were the motive, they would have chosen a local target that's easier to get to.

ITA, just trying out anything that could possibly stick, even for a post or two. Could there be any other scenario that has not been poked at yet?
When this case finally goes to trial, wondering if the jury will also find it difficult to come up with a logical motive for the murder, other than the one(s) that LE have indicated?
Does it leave the jury with any wiggle room for doubt, will the prosecutors be undermined because the family members each have their own lawyers?
Will the lawyers for SG and LR have any interaction with the A lawyers?
speculation, imo.

rich connected young men don't usually date single mothers of more than one child from criminals. they may hook up though. maybe it was downlow and he never figured anyone would know.

speculation, imo.

rbbm.

rich connected young men don't usually date single mothers of more than one child from criminals. they may hook up though. maybe it was downlow and he never figured anyone would know.

It has crossed my mind that the "intimate" relationship may have been "professional".

ITA, just trying out anything that could possibly stick, even for a post or two. Could there be any other scenario that has not been poked at yet?
When this case finally goes to trial, wondering if the jury will also find it difficult to come up with a logical motive for the murder, other than the one(s) that LE have indicated?
Does it leave the jury with any wiggle room for doubt, will the prosecutors be undermined because the family members each have their own lawyers?
Will the lawyers for SG and LR have any interaction with the A lawyers?
speculation, imo.

Lol, I remember in the Seivers case, wondering if Mark would ever be arrested, and now seeing the gazillion pages of evidence they have against him, I'm optimistic that LE has a lot of good evidence against the As. The main thing I'm wondering is who will get 1st degree charges and who might get accessory charges.

The lawyers may have some discussions, but they have to look after their own client's best interest. If there is a deal offered in exchange for testimony, no question the lawyers for SG and LR will recommend what is in their client's best interest, which will certainly be adversarial to the other parties involved. I believe it would be unethical for a single attorney to represent all the As, because at some point what is in one's best interest may/will diverge from the others. Conflict of interest. So prosecutors are very used to dealing individual lawyers.

I'm not very good at brainstorming different scenarios when there is such an obvious answer! Lol.

Lol, I remember in the Seivers case, wondering if Mark would ever be arrested, and now seeing the gazillion pages of evidence they have against him, I'm optimistic that LE has a lot of good evidence against the As. The main thing I'm wondering is who will get 1st degree charges and who might get accessory charges.

The lawyers may have some discussions, but they have to look after their own client's best interest. If there is a deal offered in exchange for testimony, no question the lawyers for SG and LR will recommend what is in their client's best interest, which will certainly be adversarial to the other parties involved. I believe it would be unethical for a single attorney to represent all the As, because at some point what is in one's best interest may/will diverge from the others. Conflict of interest. So prosecutors are very used to dealing individual lawyers.

I'm not very good at brainstorming different scenarios when there is such an obvious answer! Lol.

I hope someone is singing to the grand jury, my bets are on the driver.

I think it's a deliberate strategy by LE and prosecutors to hold off arresting the prime perp(s) who ordered the hit, in order to wrangle testimony from one of the hitmen first, and get a rock solid case. It's like a chess game, they're willing to sacrifice a pawn or two, in order to capture the queen.

I hope someone is singing to the grand jury, my bets are on the driver.

I think it's a deliberate strategy by LE and prosecutors to hold off arresting the prime perp(s) who ordered the hit, in order to wrangle testimony from one of the hitmen first, and get a rock solid case. It's like a chess game, they're willing to sacrifice a pawn or two, in order to capture the queen.

I think Garcia would get a better deal since he is probably more connected with the Adelsons than Luis is.

Plus Luis is doing 12 years Federal already. So the next 11 years in jail isn't going towards time served for the murder case.

But Garcias paid lawyer will probably collect all information and then feed it to the Adelsons before the lawyer decides to resign from the case.

Idk.

actually since hes not the mainplayer, it is likely his sentence would run concurrent.

I think Garcia would get a better deal since he is probably more connected with the Adelsons than Luis is.

Plus Luis is doing 12 years Federal already. So the next 11 years in jail isn't going towards time served for the murder case.

But Garcias paid lawyer will probably collect all information and then feed it to the Adelsons before the lawyer decides to resign from the case.

Idk.

actually since hes not the mainplayer, it is likely his sentence would run concurrent.

Idk. The 12 years is Federal time. And any upcoming years for the murder is State time. Jmo.

2 totally different entities.

state time usually runs concurrent anytime. on rare occasions if a case is especially heinous they might do consecutive. depends.

Idk. The 12 years is Federal time. And any upcoming years for the murder is State time. Jmo.

2 totally different entities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member