GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #3 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Daniel Markel know too much about something?
Thinking of the arrest of L Rivera and other gang members on racketeering charges, also wondering why he and SG would ( allegedly ) commit a murder, together?
imo speculation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-America-s-fearsome-gangs-indicted-Miami.html
May 14 2015

If I am understanding you correctly, you are suggesting that Rivera and Garcia may have killed DM for gang related reasons that had nothing to do with the Adelsons. I think this could be a possibility except that, if DM had incriminating info about the gangs, it seems like LE or someone would have considered this angle. Or maybe they were already intent on the Adelsons and skipped the more boring story.

That would blow my theories about the Adelsons to pieces, but since we do not know of all of DM's involvements and since Garcia and Rivera are maintaining silence, it makes me wonder. As I recall, in the Seiver case, the buddy/brother implicated Mark within a relatively short time. But I am not certain and have no time to go back and check the timeline. Maybe someone else remembers.

Long timer lurker as I have found this case quite interesting, but I thought I'd add my two cents:

It seems (per my speculation) like the Adelson propaganda machine has really intensified it's efforts recently. I think this is with good cause in order to rehabilitate the family's image as they're probably reasonably close to skating away free and clear. They obviously don't want lurking suspicions to undermine their present lifestyle and relationships, so they need to sow doubt about their involvement in public's mind as best they can.

This is not to say I believe in their innocence: It's untenable to believe that the Adelson's just so happened to employ (and Charlie just so happened to date) the mother of one's of the murderer's children. Dan's moderate interest in gang activity or a poorly devised blackmailing scheme hardly seem like adequate motivation to drive across the state and risk the death penalty in order to rub out an unwitting law professor.

Wendi's crass behavior alone - mocking Dan as her "latex husband" and snagging the kids without notice - is a window into a family where entitlement and viciousness reign under the guise of attractiveness and sophistication - IMO, of course.

Nonetheless, also in IMO, the legal situation is going well for the A's. R and G haven't flipped, and it may be in their best interests not to. R likely was along for the ride and never had anything do with the A's. Unless he's going to turn on his fellow Latin King and G's gf, he likely doesn't have any relevant information - certainly nothing concrete against the A's. Moreover, if the A's have promised to take care of KM and the kids, G probably doesn't want to jeopardize that - particularly because he'd also have to implicate KM.

Sure, self preservation (avoiding the death penalty) is a strong motivation for taking other risks, but as mentioned R's only choice is turning on a fellow King - which probably means he's a dead man either way. G's betrayal of the A's involves crushing his family. Moreover, it's likely a wise move for them to take their chances with a jury: Beyond a reasonable doubt is a hard threshold to meet. That's why DA's will often push for pleas or even drop charges when the evidence isn't air tight.

There is a lot of room to sew doubt. For example, the motive itself is somewhat of a circular argument: R and G killed DM because the A's instructed them to do so, but what evidence is there that the A's made such a request? Because R and G killed DM! I also don't think they have R and G ID'ed at the murder scene. They can just place them in the city at the right time and in a vehicle that matches the observed (common) vehicle at the scene. I'm not saying that there isn't some more substantive evidence than this, but I am saying that there's a lot for a good defense attorney to work with to prevent the state from meeting their burden, IMO.

When I was in law school, I observed a trial regarding a bank robbery. The arrested men were all African Americans; the jury was predominantly white in a white, Republican leaning county. The state had pinpointed their vehicle's location using cell phone information, found tools for breaking into a building in their van, and there was even a picture/schematic of the bank in their vehicle! I don't even think the defense attorney did a great job picking apart the prosecution's case, but there just wasn't the smoking gun - clear ID of these guys breaking into the bank - to remove all reasonable doubt from the jury's mind. The jury didn't even hang - it was an outright acquittal within a few hours.

The bad guys are playing their cards right in this case, and R and G could very well walk away with lesser charges or go free. Even if found guilty, it will be a tough road to nail down the death penalty on this shaky (based upon the evidence) case. The A's will barely suffer heartburn.

This all assumes that there isn't more sound evidence that hasn't been shared; just my opinion.

Long timer lurker as I have found this case quite interesting, but I thought I'd add my two cents:

It seems (per my speculation) like the Adelson propaganda machine has really intensified it's efforts recently. I think this is with good cause in order to rehabilitate the family's image as they're probably reasonably close to skating away free and clear. They obviously don't want lurking suspicions to undermine their present lifestyle and relationships, so they need to sow doubt about their involvement in public's mind as best they can.

This is not to say I believe in their innocence: It's untenable to believe that the Adelson's just so happened to employ (and Charlie just so happened to date) the mother of one's of the murderer's children. Dan's moderate interest in gang activity or a poorly devised blackmailing scheme hardly seem like adequate motivation to drive across the state and risk the death penalty in order to rub out an unwitting law professor.

Wendi's crass behavior alone - mocking Dan as her "latex husband" and snagging the kids without notice - is a window into a family where entitlement and viciousness reign under the guise of attractiveness and sophistication - IMO, of course.

Nonetheless, also in IMO, the legal situation is going well for the A's. R and G haven't flipped, and it may be in their best interests not to. R likely was along for the ride and never had anything do with the A's. Unless he's going to turn on his fellow Latin King and G's gf, he likely doesn't have any relevant information - certainly nothing concrete against the A's. Moreover, if the A's have promised to take care of KM and the kids, G probably doesn't want to jeopardize that - particularly because he'd also have to implicate KM.

Sure, self preservation (avoiding the death penalty) is a strong motivation for taking other risks, but as mentioned R's only choice is turning on a fellow King - which probably means he's a dead man either way. G's betrayal of the A's involves crushing his family. Moreover, it's likely a wise move for them to take their chances with a jury: Beyond a reasonable doubt is a hard threshold to meet. That's why DA's will often push for pleas or even drop charges when the evidence isn't air tight.

There is a lot of room to sew doubt. For example, the motive itself is somewhat of a circular argument: R and G killed DM because the A's instructed them to do so, but what evidence is there that the A's made such a request? Because R and G killed DM! I also don't think they have R and G ID'ed at the murder scene. They can just place them in the city at the right time and in a vehicle that matches the observed (common) vehicle at the scene. I'm not saying that there isn't some more substantive evidence than this, but I am saying that there's a lot for a good defense attorney to work with to prevent the state from meeting their burden, IMO.

When I was in law school, I observed a trial regarding a bank robbery. The arrested men were all African Americans; the jury was predominantly white in a white, Republican leaning county. The state had pinpointed their vehicle's location using cell phone information, found tools for breaking into a building in their van, and there was even a picture/schematic of the bank in their vehicle! I don't even think the defense attorney did a great job picking apart the prosecution's case, but there just wasn't the smoking gun - clear ID of these guys breaking into the bank - to remove all reasonable doubt from the jury's mind. The jury didn't even hang - it was an outright acquittal within a few hours.

The bad guys are playing their cards right in this case, and R and G could very well walk away with lesser charges or go free. Even if found guilty, it will be a tough road to nail down the death penalty on this shaky (based upon the evidence) case. The A's will barely suffer heartburn.

This all assumes that there isn't more sound evidence that hasn't been shared; just my opinion.

Welcome to Ws kooshx, thanks for chiming in with that interesting and informative post!
:Welcome1:

Well, first of all, we don't know if either has flipped but maybe a better deal would be:

We don't care who pulled the trigger, not important, just want to know who asked and why you were asked to pull the trigger. Neither rats on the other, just on the fiendish people who told you to do it, therefore reduced time for both.

I doubt the A's agreed to support KM and the kids, because that would have to include Garcia's entire family....Mom, brother, cousins etc. Too messy and leaves a lot of room for later extortion. (or murder). And what about Rivera's family? You do it for his family, you'll need to do it for mine.

The A's will never be cleared of suspicion. Seems like a good enough reason to give the kids to Dan's family in Canada. Or, at least, limited shared custody. Mom and her parents could
move up north and visit the
kids there. Probably best to get out of the Miami area, anyway.

No, the A's will be suffering from more than permanent heartburn. They'll need to be watching their backs for the rest of their lives.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

im hoping there is more we don't know, I cant stand how rich ppl get away w everything. its not fair to the rest of the world.

Today.
http://ktar.com/story/1218959/family-of-slain-florida-legal-scholar-to-be-paid-40000/

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — The family of a well-known legal scholar gunned down in his Florida garage is going to be paid $40,000 by an agency that handles 911 calls.

The dispatch agency for Tallahassee and Leon County agreed on Monday to pay that amount to the estate of Daniel Markel. The Consolidated Dispatch Agency conceded that “human and technical errors” delayed authorities from showing up promptly to his home.

Good post. One thing I have wondered about is why the A's would have hired such a high powered legal team if they weren't expecting an indictment or indictments. Their new attorneys issued the statement proclaiming the A innocence and introducing themselves as the As' legal team just the day before the grand jury was scheduled to reconvene according to press reports. WCTV confirmed on 7/29 that the grand jury was scheduled to meet on 8/4, and the As' lawyers put out their statement and spoke to Above The Law on 8/3. If the As were truly innocent and sincerely not expecting any charges, why not stick with their simple country lawyer family friend (Weinstein) rather than going out and spending a lot of money on a bunch of ex federal prosecutors, one for each family member? I think they wanted to be ready with a real team of highly skilled criminal defense attorneys in case a few indictments came down. Per our WS tipster, it sounds like the grand jury didn't end up meeting on 8/4 after all, and some have speculated that this may be because LE is working out a deal with one of the possible defendants. To me, the ratcheting up of the public relations machine didn't do the A's any favors, since the announcement of the legal team suggests to me that the family probably expects a fight, IMHO. In their statement, the attorneys said "we are only doing this to address speculation in the media." That's fine. But you don't need to hire six high priced attorneys if you think this is all a big mix up that will go away any minute. They could have hired one PR person and paid Weinstein to look it over if it were true that they just want to push back against the press. I think they expect this to get more serious any minute. Actually, the fact that they hired separate attorneys for DA, CA and WA suggests to me that they likely anticipate the possibility of not just one indictment, but multiple indictments. It could very well be true that LE will have trouble pinning this on the A family. If one of the A's is indicted and the discovery documents are released to the media, then we will see if LE really has anything on them or if this is all just speculation as the As' lawyers have said. If I recall correctly LE says they've got emails, text messages, search histories, surveillance footage, recordings by undercover officers, and bank records on the As. As others have said, there could be a lot more than what we have seen so far or perhaps the As' attorneys are correct that LE has only a thin circumstantial case. I have a feeling it's the former but we will probably find out soon enough if and when those documents are released. This is all IMHO and speculation, as always.

Another question: is it possible that the grand jury could have already met and handed down indictments without advising the public or the As and their attorneys?

Another question: is it possible that the grand jury could have already met and handed down indictments without advising the public or the As and their attorneys?

Yes. Although I doubt it has happened yet as I believe they are gathering additional evidence in the form of co-defendent testimony. But even if the grand jury hands down an indictment, the state attorney still must make a charging decision and they are the ones that decide to make the indictment public. Patsy Ramsey was indicted by a grand jury for the murder of JonBenet, but the prosecutor did not feel he had a good enough case to go forward so he never charged her. The info was not released until after her death.

I'm expecting more indictments but it might take a few months. Trying to be patient.

If the As were truly innocent and sincerely not expecting any charges, why not stick with their simple country lawyer family friend (Weinstein) rather than going out and spending a lot of money on a bunch of ex federal prosecutors, one for each family member?

I don't read so much into the As' decision to retain the best possible counsel they could afford, and I don't begrudge them for doing so. It's exactly what I would do if the cops were investigating me for murder -- even if I were100% innocent and I knew that the evidence would bear that out. Being the target of a criminal investigation is a very scary thing, especially if, like the As, you've not had much experience with the criminal justice system. (W is a lawyer, but from what I've read, she doesn't seem to have had much if any criminal experience. If she had, there's no way she would have talked to the cops for hours, right after the murder.) The As must have known that the cops were taking a deep dive into every aspect of their lives, and it doesn't surprise me that they would seek the best possible help in navigating the process. Spending a bunch of money for top-notch criminal defense attorneys seems to be a pretty small price to pay when one possible outcome is a lengthy prison sentence or even the death penalty.

That said, I do think it's plausible that the As issued their statement in anticipation of bad news.

One quibble: I believe the last confirmation that the grand jury would reconvene 8/4 came on 6/29 (not 7/29): http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Gra...to-review-Markel-case-evidence-384831441.html

A bit more information about the 40k settlement..
Just a thought, but if emergency personnel had arrived a little sooner, might they have captured on camera the accused taking off in the prius?
speculation.
On the day of the shooting, a 911 operator did not initially alert police that Markel had been shot. A review showed the 911 dispatcher categorized the call as someone being incapacitated. This wrong classification could have resulted in a delay in when police and paramedics arrived on the scene.

Under the settlement reached with Markel’s family an annuity will be set aside for his two young boys, although an agreement has not been reached on how old they must be to receive the money. The approval of the settlement was reported initially by The Tallahassee Democrat.
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/08/08/family-of-slain-florida-legal-scholar-to-be-paid-40000/

I don't read so much into the As' decision to retain the best possible counsel they could afford, and I don't begrudge them for doing so. It's exactly what I would do if the cops were investigating me for murder -- even if I were100% innocent and I knew that the evidence would bear that out. Being the target of a criminal investigation is a very scary thing, especially if, like the As, you've not had much experience with the criminal justice system. (W is a lawyer, but from what I've read, she doesn't seem to have had much if any criminal experience. If she had, there's no way she would have talked to the cops for hours, right after the murder.) The As must have known that the cops were taking a deep dive into every aspect of their lives, and it doesn't surprise me that they would seek the best possible help in navigating the process. Spending a bunch of money for top-notch criminal defense attorneys seems to be a pretty small price to pay when one possible outcome is a lengthy prison sentence or even the death penalty.

That said, I do think it's plausible that the As issued their statement in anticipation of bad news.

One quibble: I believe the last confirmation that the grand jury would reconvene 8/4 came on 6/29 (not 7/29): http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Gra...to-review-Markel-case-evidence-384831441.html

You're right on the dates, my mistake. To clarify, I don't think the As' decision to hire top notch attorneys reflects much on their guilt or innocence but I do think it sheds light on their state of mind with respect to whether indictments were likely coming, and I think it was bad PR that they came out with guns blazing the day before the grand jury was supposedly scheduled to meet. Just my opinion. I think a lot of folks who might be following this case and who could never afford to hire a team of lawyers of this caliber would look at the decision to hire this team, at this time, and draw negative inferences. In fact the same goes for the people that the A's rub shoulders with in South Florida, even the wealthier ones. I think the decision to hire this team might raise eyebrows even among the kind of people who could easily afford this type of defense. They didn't hire just one great lawyer, they hired a whole bunch. Of course it's their right to spend every dime on their legal defense, and many innocent people would do the same if they were in the As' position, but there was nothing stopping them from waiting until after they were charged to come forward with their army of lawyers. Just not great PR, IMHO, as it suggests they're sweating bullets over whether an indictment might be coming. Even though many innocent people would also be sweating bullets if similarly situated, I don't think you want people to know how worried you are when you're waging a PR war.

The A family can certainly afford the best legal representation and this might be a good time to spare no expense. We don't know what's coming down the pike but my guess is they have an idea.

If no charges are ever filed, the next step will be Pros to repair their professional reputations?

As I recall, in the Seiver case, the buddy/brother implicated Mark within a relatively short time. But I am not certain and have no time to go back and check the timeline. Maybe someone else remembers.

Curtis Wayne Wright was arrested Oct 15, it was more than 4 months later (Feb 26) that he agree to a deal in exchange for testimony against Sievers.

Well, first of all, we don't know if either has flipped but maybe a better deal would be:

We don't care who pulled the trigger, not important, just want to know who asked and why you were asked to pull the trigger. Neither rats on the other, just on the fiendish people who told you to do it, therefore reduced time for both.

I doubt the A's agreed to support KM and the kids, because that would have to include Garcia's entire family....Mom, brother, cousins etc. Too messy and leaves a lot of room for later extortion. (or murder). And what about Rivera's family? You do it for his family, you'll need to do it for mine.

The A's will never be cleared of suspicion. Seems like a good enough reason to give the kids to Dan's family in Canada. Or, at least, limited shared custody. Mom and her parents could
move up north and visit the
kids there. Probably best to get out of the Miami area, anyway.

No, the A's will be suffering from more than permanent heartburn. They'll need to be watching their backs for the rest of their lives.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Agreed that maybe somebody did flip and we don't know about it yet. I actually Googled the case before I posted just in case there was late breaking news that would undermine my theory. :)

I still don't think Rivera has much to offer by himself. I doubt he had any contact with the A's. He was likely just following Garcia, which means he has no one else to rat on other than his buddy. As noted, that's probably a riskier move than fighting the state on the death penalty.

As for G, I'll concede it's just speculation that the A's are helping out his family, but we do know that KM is (or at least was) employed by the A's. Nonetheless, I also don't think he can betray the A's without incriminating KM. I highly doubt even the most desperate DA is going to grant full immunity to a woman who knowingly served as a broker between a hit man and his "clients". If, per our speculation, KM is the link between G and the A's, if it were not for KM's involvement, DM would likely still be alive today.

Please note, I definitely hope that there is more evidence that forces G to squeal, but if this is all they have, it's probably a reasonable risk to try to beat the charges and spare his clients.

<mod snip>

Most criminal lawyers would be very hesitant to take on representation of multiple people for the same alleged crime because of conflict of interest/ethics issues. I doubt they could have hired one lawyer unless, like the family friend, the scope of the representation only included making public statements on behalf of the family. They are gearing up for more than that.

A high-profile twist?

When recent discovery docs were released, I found it interesting WHO WA was googling. I totally get the current girlfriend, Amy Adler, and her ex - these will be potential or were current players in her children's life. However, it said she googled the brother? So, I sleuthed. Turns out her brother is Jonathan Adler, THE Jonathan Adler. Very famous, talented and successful. A household name. Not only is the new women very accomplished with a much more impressive resume than WA, throw in her social circle which is packed with very well to do and famous people. If it were me, I'd be very jealous. Think how this would affect someone with a massive ego, as I suspect WA (and the rest of the A's) has.

"On her computer, investigators found Google Chrome keyword searches for Markel&#8217;s girlfriend Amy Adler, Adler's ex-husband and Adler's brother. "
(http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...s-reveal-early-markel-investigation/87680046/)

<mod snip>

A high-profile twist?

When recent discovery docs were released, I found it interesting WHO WA was googling. I totally get the current girlfriend, Amy Adler, and her ex - these will be potential or were current players in her children's life. However, it said she googled the brother? So, I sleuthed. Turns out her brother is Jonathan Adler, THE Jonathan Adler. Very famous, talented and successful. A household name. Not only is the new women very accomplished with a much more impressive resume than WA, throw in her social circle which is packed with very well to do and famous people. If it were me, I'd be very jealous. Think how this would affect someone with a massive ego, as I suspect WA (and the rest of the A's) has.

"On her computer, investigators found Google Chrome keyword searches for Markel’s girlfriend Amy Adler, Adler's ex-husband and Adler's brother. "
(http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...s-reveal-early-markel-investigation/87680046/)

<mod snip>

That's an interesting piece of information indeed. Totally trumps WA in the chic factor!

A high-profile twist?

"On her computer, investigators found Google Chrome keyword searches for Markel’s girlfriend Amy Adler, Adler's ex-husband and Adler's brother. "

<mod snip>

Forgive my ignorance, but who is Jonathan Adler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper