GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #4 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if it was a defense ploy to attempt to confuse the LE witness, through rapid-fire questioning and by jumping back and forth with a jumble of numbers and pages, his questions seemingly asked all at once?
Was it coordinated to coincide with a call for a break, when people might be most fatigued, especially the the line of questioning regarding LR's truthfulness regarding the WA sighting?
speculation, imo.

“If you’re weak on the facts and strong on the law, pound the law. If you’re weak on the law and strong on the facts, pound the facts. If you’re weak on both, pound the table.”

The DA wouldn't give LR a deal until they have validated most of his story.

So even if he had certain times wrong. That still doesn't discredit the drug addict that was involved and what major things he knows. Jmo

You know who was " kicked out of the car "?
Prof.Daniel Markel, imo.
But with ego continuing to drive?
Everyone considered a flight risk, imo.

http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Wom...ssors-murder-pleads-not-guilty-405017175.html
With that evidence that we saw in there today - Detective Isom himself said I do not trust Luis Rivera - we know that justice was kicked out of that car and the only thing driving right now is ego and politics," Magbanua's attorney Christopher DeCoste said after the hearing

"I think the main thing that he says, which is that we were hired by Katie on behalf of the Adlesons to come here and do this killing, makes perfect sense with all the other evidence in the case," prosecutor Georgia Cappleman said after the hearing, "and that's the main piece that I was after."

Robert Shapiro still claims that O.J. Simpson owes him $1M in attorney fees which were never paid.

I wonder why (if?) Mr. Shapiro did not perfect his interest before Fred Goldman filed his civil suit and was awarded the big judgement for damages.

They [the Adelsons] gave up a life of wealth and ease just because their ex-husband/SIL/BIL got on their nerves.

In my opinion, Charlie and Granny gave up that lovely life not because of Dan, but to appease the endless griping and groaning of Wendi.

In court Friday, the state described how that family has paid Magbanua thousands of dollars through the dental office they run. Investigators say, there's no proof showing she worked at the office.

Prosecutors also revealing wire tapped phone calls involving Magbanua, Charlie Adelson and Charlie's mother Donna, discussing concerns about the plan and whether or not law enforcement was on their track.

Assistant State Attorney Georgia Cappleman says, the case against Magbanua has always been solid, and Luis Rivera's testimony was "An important nail in the coffin."

The judge found evidence by the state to be sufficient. The defense called Magbanua's brother to the stand to determine if she could be released on bond. The judge denied bond, ordering her to remain in custody until trial. Her attorneys say they're shocked by that decision and will appeal.

Witnesses took the stand against, Magbanua. One testified saying Magbanua was paid thousands in checks and cash by Markel's ex-wife's family, the Adelsons, with a spike around the time of the murder.

Investigators also testified about a restaurant chat between Magbanua and Charlie Adelson about setting up the plan to kill Markel.

http://www.wtxl.com/community/suspe...cle_c7a51f32-be27-11e6-ae31-2fb43683a0f9.html

The testimony in the restaurant was not about setting up the murder of Markel, but suggesting the killing of the undercover agent.

The testimony in the restaurant was not about setting up the murder of Markel, but suggesting the killing of the undercover agent.
Good catch!

http://abovethelaw.com/2016/09/the-dan-markel-case-the-probable-cause-affidavit-for-charlie-adelson/
On April 20, shortly after the undercover agent reached out to Donna Adelson, Charlie Adelson and Katherine Magbanua met at a restaurant. They had a conversation that was intercepted in part by police, as discussed on page 18 (“CA” is “Charlie Adelson”):

PC-affidavit-7-620x271.png

Over the next few days, the alleged co-conspirators had discussions and arguments about how to deal with the supposed blackmailer. For example, from page 20:
PC-affidavit-8.png

What does KM have to lose by going through with a trial and seeing what she gets? Perhaps she will see if she will get just as good a deal as she is being offered now without giving up the Adelson's and getting whatever they have promised her. Although she seems to think she will get off lightly, so perhaps that is what her lawyers are telling her. Maybe she won't consider a deal until after she finds out whatever the jail time really is. Does that sound possible?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What does KM have to lose by going through with a trial and seeing what she gets? Perhaps she will see if she will get just as good a deal as she is being offered now without giving up the Adelson's and getting whatever they have promised her. Although she seems to think she will get off lightly, so perhaps that is what her lawyers are telling her. Maybe she won't consider a deal until after she finds out whatever the jail time really is. Does that sound possible?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if a jury convicts her and she gets the death penalty (unlikely) or life (or 40+ years) in prison her bargaining power will be greatly diminished. and there's no guarantee that LE will even need her by that time. not to mention the cost and the stress of a full trial. my guess is her lawyers want her to ride the train right up until the end - and have her jump off right before it crashes into the brick wall. this is a negotiating tactic to get her the best deal. her lawyers are obligated to get the best deal for their client otherwise it would be malpractice. so i don't disagree with their current strategy up to this point. but i definitely would not go to trial if i was KM. yes she has a lot to lose. pretrial maybe she can negotiate 7-10 years. but post trial and conviction and a sentence of life or multiple decades she will be hard pressed to negotiate such a sweetheart deal IMO.

Killer's sentence reduced in exchange for testimony

http://www.capitalgazette.com/cg2-arc-fddc7ed6-951e-58e6-b685-17e74762df72-20130503-story.html

yup the reporter got a few things mixed up in addition to a few grammatical errors. but if mostly accurate he provided some new interesting info.

Thanks dotr for bringing the undercover intercepted conversation into this thread again.
PC-affidavit-7-620x271.png

“If you can’t do it [kill him] I’ll have someone else do it.”

^^^ THIS statement by CA on April 20, 2016 is why I would be worried that CA is willing and able to hire a hit on KM’s children.

Devastating photo, cold and unnecessarily cruel murder, imo.
Rbbm.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_...t-degree-murder-in-killing-of-dan-markel.html

DeCoste spent his time questioning Tallahassee Police homicide investigator Craig Isom, picking apart what he called a “well-rehearsed” statement by Luis Rivera, who pleaded to second-degree murder in October. Rivera's statement to police led to Magbanua’s arrest. ...
Chief Assistant State Attorney Georgia Cappleman presented most of the evidence in the case Friday, including wire-tapped phone conversations, financial records, the movements of the Prius before, during and after the shooting and a photo of Markel bloodied and bruised by two gunshots to the face

But Cappleman said although parts of Rivera’s statement could not or had not yet been verified, his comments linking Magbanua to Markel’s shooting were consistent with other evidence. “The main thing that he says, that we were hired by Katie on behalf of the Adelsons to come here and do this killing, makes perfect sense with all the other evidence in this case,” Cappleman said. “Yes (Rivera’s) a bad guy that got a good deal. The case against her is solid.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3