GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #4 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://abovethelaw.com/2016/11/the-...ne-magbanua-indicted-for-first-degree-murder/
The Dan Markel Case: Katherine Magbanua Indicted For First-Degree Murder
11/30/2016 at 9:46 AM
[...] Let’s hope, for the sake of everyone seeking justice in the Dan Markel case, that the staffers of the State Attorney’s Office are better at investigating and prosecuting than they are at emailing.

i was hoping for a little more "meat" (analysis) from David Lat here. instead he simply rehashed the obvious. hopefully Turley chimes in again soon.

I suppose at this point, KM is going to have to take a deal; it has to be way too risky for her to try to take this to trial. IMO, the deck is too stacked for her to take the gamble: Rivera's testimony, the phone calls, the financial transactions are hard to explain.

That said, the SA had to a cut a pretty sweet deal with Rivera to get him to talk, but he was only the driver - Markel would like still be dead even if he decided to stay home. How low are they really willing to go with KM? What type of message would it send if she can orchestrate a man's murder for her own pecuniary gain and then walk away with a slap on the wrist?

On the other hand, while the SA can likely win KM's conviction, I can't believe they want to let the A's off the hook. It will be quite a game of chicken to see which side can strong arm the other.

I suppose at this point, KM is going to have to take a deal; it has to be way too risky for her to try to take this to trial. IMO, the deck is too stacked for her to take the gamble: Rivera's testimony, the phone calls, the financial transactions are hard to explain.

That said, the SA had to a cut a pretty sweet deal with Rivera to get him to talk, but he was only the driver - Markel would like still be dead even if he decided to stay home. How low are they really willing to go with KM? What type of message would it send if she can orchestrate a man's murder for her own pecuniary gain and then walk away with a slap on the wrist?

On the other hand, while the SA can likely win KM's conviction, I can't believe they want to let the A's off the hook. It will be quite a game of chicken to see which side can strong arm the other.

this similar case was discussed earlier in the thread -

Perez' girlfriend, Kimberly Miller, 38, was placed on probation after pleading no contest to compounding a felony. She admitted she was the go-between who put Trexler in contact with Perez.

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/apnews/stories/051701/D7C223H01.html

Probation? Wow. If this is common practice, it doesn't exactly send a great message to potential intermediaries. If the police don't close in on you, you get a get a lot of cash. If you do get caught, just turn on your client and walk away (probably still with the cash).

Probation? Wow. If this is common practice, it doesn't exactly send a great message to potential intermediaries. If the police don't close in on you, you get a get a lot of cash. If you do get caught, just turn on your client and walk away (probably still with the cash).

I agree, but it sends an even more powerful message to the people who think that being rich means they can buy a murder without any chance of getting caught.

Some disgusting evil genius to brother Charlie Adelson engaging his (at the time) girlfriend's babydaddy and "on again, off again boyfriend" Luis Rivera to commit murder:

Rivera kills Markel, clearing up Wendi Adelson's issues with her ex

Rivera goes down for murder, clearing up Charlie Adelson's gf's issues with her ex, or Charlie's issues with his gf's ex.

http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Woman-accused-in-Markel-Murder--402275976.html
Prosecutor Georgia Cappleman says the grand jury reviewing this case is a brand new grand jury, so TPD's lead investigator and an FBI agent both went behind closed doors to share detailed information about Markel's murder and the investigation that followed.

Magbanua is "the only person we're asking them to consider today," Cappleman said of the grand jury review.
" ... and she's the key to any future arrests in this case in your mind?" one reporter asked.
"She could be," Cappleman said.
Police believe the motive for Markel's murder was a custody battle between Markel and his ex-wife. Prosecutors believe the ex-wife's family is involved in the murder for hire scheme, but lawyers for the Adelsons have repeatedly denied any involvement and none of the family members has been charged with a crime.
'It's hard to present this case without mentioning the Adelson family," Cappleman said, "but as I said, we're not asking the grand jury to review the case for any indictments against any Adelsons today."

Some disgusting evil genius to brother Charlie Adelson engaging his (at the time) girlfriend's babydaddy and "on again, off again boyfriend" Luis Rivera to commit murder:

Rivera kills Markel, clearing up Wendi Adelson's issues with her ex

Rivera goes down for murder, clearing up Charlie Adelson's gf's issues with her ex, or Charlie's issues with his gf's ex.

Easy to mix the names up, but S. Garcia is the ex bf. and father of KM's 2 kids, and he is also the alleged gunman who shot DM..
L. Rivera said that he was the one who provided that gun to SG.and drove the prius to the crime scene.
KM dated both SG. and CA.

I bet the prosecutors are willing to cut one hell of a deal for KM to give up the Adelsons. And she would be a complete fool not to take a deal.

besides you don't want appeals for "bias".

Indictment is great news! That motion was an interesting read. As a former criminal defense attorney, I have to side with KM's attorneys on the issue of the e-mails and discovery. The guy is asking for his client's discovery on a murder charge. Respond to him! The snarky e-mails are totally unnecessary - this is a media case and the state should assume every e-mail could be published. Once again, step up the professionalism please, SAO!

I want the A's to go down worse than these ppl.

What went wrong with" the system " ?
Divorce was meant as a sort of safety valve in marriages so that if it is truly lousy, you can get out of it without resorting to murder.
We have lawyers, presumably to settle disagreements without killing one another,
money - to help to facilitate those things, or better yet, prevent them from happening in the first place.
If it all was not so tragic, this would be a comedy.
Speculation, imo.

What went wrong with" the system " ?
Divorce was meant as a sort of safety valve in marriages so that if it is truly lousy, you can get out of it without resorting to murder.
We have lawyers, presumably to settle disagreements without killing one another,
money - to help to facilitate those things, or better yet, prevent them from happening in the first place.
If it all was not so tragic, this would be a comedy.
Speculation, imo.

Princess Culture/Princess Syndrome.

In exchange for her freedom, I think KM is willing to suffer for a few months longer in jail. Freedom - - meaning no prison, lengthy probation, protection for her and her children. The prosecution probably doesn’t want to seem too easy on KM so quickly.

And, where are the A’s going? Nowhere. They wouldn’t get far, especially with LE watching them.

If KM gets a plea deal for ratting on the A’s, she may be worried that CA has scheduled a hit on her children, with payment arrangements already made

I know people are pointing to the case where the in-between woman got probation, reasoning that KM's sentence might be comparably light. I just don't see that happening here. I think she will do prison time - somewhere between 5 and 15 years. If I had to guess, I'd say 8 years. We'll see how it unfolds. She'll wait to make a deal until she knows it's the best she can do.

And don't forget Sigfrpedo. If you read the discovery demands put up on WTXL, they ** found the gun **.

I know people are pointing to the case where the in-between woman got probation, reasoning that KM's sentence might be comparably light. I just don't see that happening here. I think she will do prison time - somewhere between 5 and 15 years. If I had to guess, I'd say 8 years. We'll see how it unfolds. She'll wait to make a deal until she knows it's the best she can do.

my guess is that KM might be able to negotiate a sweetheart plea deal of about 7 years if she agrees to testify which matches what LR essentially got net (19-12) = 7 - and he was actually there when the crime was committed albeit not the trigger man.

would this be justice?

LR = (19-12) = 7 Years
KM = 7 Years
SG = Life
Masterminds = Life

my guess is that KM might be able to negotiate a sweetheart plea deal of about 7 years if she agrees to testify which matches what LR essentially got net (19-12) = 7 - and he was actually there when the crime was committed albeit not the trigger man.

would this be justice?

LR = (19-12) = 7 Years
KM = 7 Years
SG = Life
Masterminds = Life

I'd be satisfied with this scenario, under the condition that Wendi is held accountable as a planner of the murder or conspirator after the fact.

I'd be satisfied with this scenario, under the condition that Wendi is held accountable as a planner of the murder or conspirator after the fact.
Yes, as long as the masterminds are Wendi, Donna, and Charlie. Harvey should be charged with something, however. I believe he was aware but maybe not so involved.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member