GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
rbbm
Sep 21, 2019
One last court appearance for suspects charged with FSU professor’s murder before trial
"TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (CAPITOL NEWS SERVICE) - A man and woman charged in the murder for hire of an FSU professor appeared in a Tallahassee court Friday for the last time in jail blues."
FSU+PROFESSOR.jpg

The state is seeking the Death Penalty against the alleged triggerman, Sigfredo Garcia. (Capitol News Service)
On Monday, Katherine Magbanua and Sigfredo Garcia faced jurors in their street clothes.

The state is seeking the Death Penalty against the alleged triggerman, Garcia.

"The trial, which begins Monday, could last as long as three weeks.

It is a case that is being covered by several major news magazines including 20/20 and Dateline NBC."

Amber Guyar’s trial also begins on Monday, which I know Court TV & Law and Crime are covering. Maybe a local network will televise some/all of the Markel trial. I am interested in watching also.

Me too. I’m in Florida, and went to college in Tallahassee. I have been following this case since it happened. I really want justice for Dan and his poor family. The others who I believe are involved need to also be brought to justice. I hope KB sings like a canary during the trial, but I have a feeling she won’t. We shall see.

ETA - I meant KM — Katherine

Last edited:
LIVE BLOG: Dan Markel murder trial scheduled to start Monday
LIVE BLOG: Dan Markel murder trial scheduled to start Monday
Posted: 9:05 AM, Sep 20, 2019
Updated: 6:17 PM, Sep 20, 2019

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) — Five years after being accused of murdering FSU Professor Dan Markel in 2014 and following many, many delays in the case, Katherine Magbanua and Sigfredo Garcia are finally going to trial next week.
[...]
While Judge Hankinson acknowledges the challenges ahead for everyone involved, he says it's time to move this cases forward.

"Maybe as things develop severance becomes necessary, maybe it doesn't. At this point in time, I see no clear cut basis for it," said Judge Hankinson.
[...]
Jury selection starts Monday. But here's the thing, the team can still file certain motions and there is still a possibility that the two are tried separately.

That all depends on what happens when the trial starts.
[...]

Two Accused in FSU Law Professor Slaying Set to Face Jury | Daily Business Review
Outline - Read & annotate without distractions
September 19, 2019 at 01:44 PM

[...]
But for close watchers of the case, several big questions remain:

First, they wonder whether the trial will come to fruition, or whether Magbanua will take a plea deal at the last minute and cooperate with the prosecution to implicate Donna and Charlie Adelson—neither of whom have been charged with any crime.

Police arrested Magbanua in 2016 and she has spent the past three years in jail—away from her two children—apparently in an attempt to get her to flip and help prosecutors.

“I certainly continue to hope that Magbanua and Garcia will see the wisdom of cooperating with the prosecutors,” said Jason Solomon, a friend of Markel’s who maintains a Facebook group called Justice for Dan that tracks developments in the case. “Because I think if they go to trial, they will most certainly be convicted.”

Second, they want to know whether Garcia and Magbanua’s trial is the next step toward indictments of Donna and Charlie Adelson—which Markel’s supporters view as the ultimate goal and the only way for justice to be served.

“My sense is that the prosecutors have just been waiting,” Solomon. “They only get one shot at prosecuting the people who ordered the hit. They are waiting until they have the maximum possible evidence, which would be testimony from Katie. There could come a point where she’s convicted and she could still flip.”
[...]
“I have faith in the police department and state attorney’s office that they will ultimately indict Donna and Charlie Adelson, with as much evidence as they have,” he said. “Not just for people like me who know and care about Dan and his boys, but I just think this is an important test for our legal system. Can rich people get away with murder just by paying other people to take the fall?”

Is Charlie paying for KM’s attorney?
Judge is 'satisfied Magbanua's attorneys were being paid by a third party unrelated to the Adelson family'
TaxProf Blog: Prosecutors Investigate Whether Magbanua Sister-In-Law's Alleged $1.2 Million Embezzlement Was Used To Pay Defendant's Attorneys' Fees In Dan Markel Murder Case
July 31, 2018
[...]
In February 2017, Cappleman sought to find out how Katherine Magbanua was paying for her two Miami attorneys without an apparent source of income, contending that the Adelson family was footing the bill....

Last July, Kawass and DeCoste volunteered to tell Leon Circuit Judge James Hankinson that her family was paying the legal fees at a financial hardship. That remains the case, DeCoste said.

That conference was held in private in Hankinson’s chambers.

In what amounted to a legal blow to the theory of the Adelson’s involvement in the case, he said he was satisfied Magbanua's attorneys were being paid by a third party unrelated to the Adelson family and declined to disclose specifics to prosecutors.

Judge is 'satisfied Magbanua's attorneys were being paid by a third party unrelated to the Adelson family'
TaxProf Blog: Prosecutors Investigate Whether Magbanua Sister-In-Law's Alleged $1.2 Million Embezzlement Was Used To Pay Defendant's Attorneys' Fees In Dan Markel Murder Case
July 31, 2018
[...]
In February 2017, Cappleman sought to find out how Katherine Magbanua was paying for her two Miami attorneys without an apparent source of income, contending that the Adelson family was footing the bill....

Last July, Kawass and DeCoste volunteered to tell Leon Circuit Judge James Hankinson that her family was paying the legal fees at a financial hardship. That remains the case, DeCoste said.

That conference was held in private in Hankinson’s chambers.

In what amounted to a legal blow to the theory of the Adelson’s involvement in the case, he said he was satisfied Magbanua's attorneys were being paid by a third party unrelated to the Adelson family and declined to disclose specifics to prosecutors.

Thanks... still have to wonder though. IMO

Re: KM's sister-in-law arrested MAR 2018 for embezzling $1.19 million from her employer.
Update: Changed plea to GUILTY a few days ago 09/19/2019; not yet sentenced.
Chez-Magbanua is KM brother's EX-wife; divorced MAY 2019 - 05/14/2019 Final Judgment Dissolution of Marriage
She is guardian of KM's two children since 2017. :eek:

The Dan Markel Case: A Helping Hand For Katherine Magbanua — From A Relative Accused Of Embezzlement?
Samantha Chez-Magbanua, who is married to Katherine Magbanua’s brother, was arrested in March in South Florida on charges of embezzling $1.19 million from her employer.

Case Search - Public - Broward County Clerk of Courts
State of Florida Vs. Chez- Magbanua, Samantha
Grand Theft in the 1st Degree
Date Description Additional Text View Pages
09/19/2019 Hrg Held On Defense Motion For Downward Departure CR:K.Skubic(d)-Held Inpart
09/19/2019 Hearing Held / Change Of Plea CR:K.Skubic(d)-Guilty

upload_2019-9-22_13-19-16.png

SeesSeas, solid sleuthing! Thank you.

Never ceases to amaze me how messed up this case and the players are. Katie's mom died while she was in custody. Her family is in tatters.

I wonder if Wendi ever lets her mind wander, perhaps during her sons' tennis lessons, to think of Katie and Sigfredo's two young children and their welfare. No tennis lessons for them, I bet. Wendi was friendly with Katie per photos and law enforcement. Then again, she prob assumes Charlie or Mom will take care of that too. No need for her to be concerned really and there are more critical things contend with like her image. What to wear to the black-tie benefit tonight for the non-profit?!?! She wholeheartedly supports these noble causes to hedge her murderous cloak of a family she surrounds herself with, protects and leans on. My opinion, of course!

Also, decent people who care about this case and justice, please note Wendi scrubbed her amazon reviews of her book where she demeans her ex-husband before he was taken out for her. Another fun thing money can buy! <modsnip - political comment> My opinion, of course.

Re: KM's sister-in-law arrested MAR 2018 for embezzling $1.19 million from her employer.
Chez-Magbanua is KM brother's EX-wife; divorced MAY 2019 - 05/14/2019 Final Judgment Dissolution of Marriage

The Dan Markel Case: A Helping Hand For Katherine Magbanua — From A Relative Accused Of Embezzlement?
Samantha Chez-Magbanua, who is married to Katherine Magbanua’s brother, was arrested in March in South Florida on charges of embezzling $1.19 million from her employer.

09/19/2019 Hrg Held On Defense Motion For Downward Departure CR:K.Skubic(d)-Held Inpart

View attachment 205790
n

Last edited by a moderator:
Two Accused in FSU Law Professor Slaying Set to Face Jury | Daily Business Review
Outline - Read & annotate without distractions
September 19, 2019 at 01:44 PM

[...]
But for close watchers of the case, several big questions remain:

First, they wonder whether the trial will come to fruition, or whether Magbanua will take a plea deal at the last minute and cooperate with the prosecution to implicate Donna and Charlie Adelson—neither of whom have been charged with any crime.

Police arrested Magbanua in 2016 and she has spent the past three years in jail—away from her two children—apparently in an attempt to get her to flip and help prosecutors.

“I certainly continue to hope that Magbanua and Garcia will see the wisdom of cooperating with the prosecutors,” said Jason Solomon, a friend of Markel’s who maintains a Facebook group called Justice for Dan that tracks developments in the case. “Because I think if they go to trial, they will most certainly be convicted.”

Second, they want to know whether Garcia and Magbanua’s trial is the next step toward indictments of Donna and Charlie Adelson—which Markel’s supporters view as the ultimate goal and the only way for justice to be served.

“My sense is that the prosecutors have just been waiting,” Solomon. “They only get one shot at prosecuting the people who ordered the hit. They are waiting until they have the maximum possible evidence, which would be testimony from Katie. There could come a point where she’s convicted and she could still flip.”
[...]
“I have faith in the police department and state attorney’s office that they will ultimately indict Donna and Charlie Adelson, with as much evidence as they have,” he said. “Not just for people like me who know and care about Dan and his boys, but I just think this is an important test for our legal system. Can rich people get away with murder just by paying other people to take the fall?”
FINALLY!

View attachment 205790
So now her brother has to take care of her kids and probably his too while his wife is in jail! Man, you would think that would give her the incentive to get out of there. This is really dumb on her part, staying locked up.

Also, if you haven’t don’t this yet, please consider taking a moment.

Petition Let Dan Markel’s Parents See their Grandkids

SeesSeas, solid sleuthing! Thank you.

Never ceases to amaze me how messed up this case and the players are. Katie's mom died while she was in custody. Her family is in tatters.

I wonder if Wendi ever lets her mind wander, perhaps during her sons' tennis lessons, to think of Katie and Sigfredo's two young children and their welfare. No tennis lessons for them, I bet. Wendi was friendly with Katie per photos and law enforcement. Then again, she prob assumes Charlie or Mom will take care of that too. No need for her to be concerned really and there are more critical things contend with like her image. What to wear to the black-tie benefit tonight for the non-profit?!?! She wholeheartedly supports these noble causes to hedge her murderous cloak of a family she surrounds herself with, protects and leans on. My opinion, of course!

Also, decent people who care about this case and justice, please note Wendi scrubbed her amazon reviews of her book where she demeans her ex-husband before he was taken out for her. Another fun thing money can buy! The Ivanka Trump of Miami! My opinion, of course.

n

If I were KM, I would get out of there take my kids and run. Go far away, state of Washington, anywhere that's the farthest and change my last name.

i smell the defense's next delay tactic -

It will all come down to the 12 jurors and three alternates, which Kawass said could be difficult to settle on. “I want to give the jurors of Tallahassee a shot,” Kawass said. “I think we’re in a great place, but if it does turn out during the course of selection we're unable to get a fair jury… we may have to in the middle of jury selection raise a motion to change venue.”

Dan Markel murder: Trial begins Monday, 5 years after slaying of distinguished FSU law professor

Also, if you haven’t don’t this yet, please consider taking a moment.

Petition Let Dan Markel’s Parents See their Grandkids
After all those poor children have been though, it’s heartbreaking and just plain wrong and EVIL that they have been kept from Dan’s family. IMO The Adelson’s are severely dysfunctional and still remain in the shadow of being the mastermind of Dan’s brutal slaying. They’ve lived 5 years now without seeing their Dad’s family and God only knows how their minds have been shaped in those 5 years. I was so appalled to learn early on that Donna told them she thought their dad was stupid —-and that she hated Dan. What kind of grandmother would say that to a young child? That’s so damaging to young children. She sounds like a selfish, cold, manipulative human being -MY OPINION.

I just watched the 20/20 episode where they featured this case. I’m not convinced that Wendi didn’t know about the hit beforehand. When authorities initially questioned her - when they told her Dan had been shot - she nooded her head ever so slight — yes - while listening. To me - it’s a dead give away she knew already what had happened before authorities told her he had been shot. I watched her closely - wanting to believe she is innocent and didn’t know about the hit, but her reaction to me didn’t seem genuine at all. Of course she is shook up, but a lot of it seemed like an act. I also watched Luis’ 2 hour interview and he mentioned that they saw Wendi walking in the neighborhood beforehand and that Garcia recognized her and told Luis that that was Wendy.

Oy...this case is so twisted and evil. I’m praying hard for justice to be served for Dan and that ALL of the people involved are punshied to the maximum allowed.

Jury Selection - - FINALLY!

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 4m4 minutes ago
The first group of jurors just entered the courtroom.

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 32m32 minutes ago
There are 50 jurors to get through this morning. Another 50 this afternoon. Then 50 per day until the jury is selected. Attorneys will interview each juror privately. @abc27

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 33m33 minutes ago
Jury selection just began for the Sigfredo Garcia/ Katherine Magbanua murder trial. They’re accused of killing FSU Law Professor Dan Markel back in 2014. @abc27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spudxii