GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
E-mail evidence indicates Wendi's parents, especially her mother, wanted Wendi to coerce Markel into allowing the relocation," reads an affidavit filed by Tallahassee Police in 2016. "Additionally, Wendi's brother, Charles Adelson, reportedly did not like Markel and did not get along with him. Investigators believe motive for this murder stemmed from the desperate desire of the Adelson family to relocate Wendi and the children to South Florida, along with the pending court hearing that might have impacted their access to the grandchildren."

Lawyers for Wendi, Charles, and Donna dismiss the theory of the Adelson family's involvement as "fanciful fiction."

Opening arguments are expected to begin Thursday. The Tallahassee Democrat will live-stream the trial on Tallahassee.com
upload_2019-9-23_9-28-2.jpeg
upload_2019-9-23_9-28-21.jpeg
upload_2019-9-23_9-28-44.jpeg

Here's What to Expect From the Dan Markel Murder Trial

If I were KM, I would get out of there take my kids and run. Go far away, state of Washington, anywhere that's the farthest and change my last name.
Except that, I doubt the prosecution is offering her a get out of jail free card. I think she would be offered the possibility of reduced jail time but would still have to plead guilty and serve time. Whereas, I suppose she's clinging to the hope (encouraged by her lawyers) that she'll be found not guilty.

SeesSeas, solid sleuthing! Thank you.

Never ceases to amaze me how messed up this case and the players are. Katie's mom died while she was in custody. Her family is in tatters.

I wonder if Wendi ever lets her mind wander, perhaps during her sons' tennis lessons, to think of Katie and Sigfredo's two young children and their welfare. No tennis lessons for them, I bet. Wendi was friendly with Katie per photos and law enforcement. Then again, she prob assumes Charlie or Mom will take care of that too.

n

(bbm) Wow are there photos of Wendi and Katie together? I must have missed that. I wasn't aware they were acquainted.

I recently listened to the Over My Dead Body podcast and wow reading the transcripts of the intercepted conversations between Charlie and Donna and Charlie and Katie was one thing....listening to it is something else!

Have their been other cases where the "hitman"/middle woman are put on trial, and their paymasters completely escape charges?? This is so unusual.

Except that, I doubt the prosecution is offering her a get out of jail free card. I think she would be offered the possibility of reduced jail time but would still have to plead guilty and serve time. Whereas, I suppose she's clinging to the hope (encouraged by her lawyers) that she'll be found not guilty.

Back in 2017, during the inquiry into who was paying KM's legal bills, the prosecutor stated that they offered KM immunity for her testimony and that she refused it. The question is whether it was transactional immunity (essentially get out of jail free) or use/derivative use immunity (which would only prevent the state from using information gained from KM's testimony against her). In any event, had she'd agreed to testify then she very well may be out of jail by now.

Markel murder suspects could be tried together

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 11.12.21 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 11.46.36 PM.png
Katie Magbanua, post, and pre murder.

(bbm) Wow are there photos of Wendi and Katie together? I must have missed that. I wasn't aware they were acquainted.

I recently listened to the Over My Dead Body podcast and wow reading the transcripts of the intercepted conversations between Charlie and Donna and Charlie and Katie was one thing....listening to it is something else!

Have their been other cases where the "hitman"/middle woman are put on trial, and their paymasters completely escape charges?? This is so unusual.

Last edited:
They offered her immunity for her testimony. She would be out of jail by now!!

Here's What to Expect From the Dan Markel Murder Trial
"Also expected to testify is Jessica Rodriguez, the mother of one of Rivera's children. Shortly after Garcia's arrest, she texted Magbanua in an angry frenzy, according to a transcript of an FBI wiretap of Magbanua's phone.

"The reason your husband is in jail becouse of you n charlie," Rodriguez texted. "Like everyone doesnt know that [sic]."

"Charlie" is assumed by police to be Charlie Adelson, the younger brother of Wendi, whom prosecutors call an unindicted coconspirator."

Lawyers for Wendi, Charles, and Donna dismiss the theory of the Adelson family's involvement as "fanciful fiction." Yea right, these 3 strangers wanted Dan dead cause they didn't didn't like the way he combed his hair or because he was a professor. They drove 500 miles, 7 hours, spent money on a motel because they had nothing better to do that day.

Dan Markel murder: Trial of Sigfredo Garcia, Katherine Magbanua could last four weeks

"Both groups of attorneys seemed adamant that they wanted to begin opening statements on Thursday.

While no jurors were selected Monday, some appeared relieved after they were dismissed from the jury pool....

“We’re figuring about four weeks including this week,” [Judge]Hankinson said. “We understand that’s a heavy burden for anyone to serve for that length of time.”

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 21h21 hours ago
Here we go. Markel murder trial underway

EFJjrxeXUAAJgbg.jpg

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 20h20 hours ago
Attorneys are estimating 10-14 days to present their cases to the jury

Julie Montanaro WCTV‏Verified account @JulieMontanaroW 20h20 hours ago
Sigfredo Garcia and Katherine Magbanua in court - awaiting first 50 potential jurors in the high profile Dan Markel murder case @WCTV
EFJoV2EWkAU4RJO.jpg

First 50 jurors are in the courtroom. I see a few familiar faces because... it's Tallahassee

As Hankinson reads the gist of the indictment, saying that Garcia and Magbanua killed Dan Markel, Garcia shakes his head no

About half the jurors in the room stood when asked if they'd heard of the case or had a hardship

My guess would be most have heard of the case

Hankinson this morning ruled that he would let jurors know the state is seeking the death penalty, but not against which defendant

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 19h19 hours ago
Potential Jurors who didn’t make the cut are audibly celebrating getting let go. As Hankinson points out during each jury selection, there are Americans far and wide who make sacrifices daily. Sometimes the average guy or gal is asked to do their part

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 16h16 hours ago
We're back form lunch with another batch of potential jurors. Both groups of attorneys seem adamant to begin opening statements on Thursday

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 15h15 hours ago
Best potential juror line of the day during voir dire: “I’m down to do my civic duty”

Last edited:
Jury selection underway in Dan Markel murder trial (with clip)

Sep 23, 2019

"TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) — 11 a.m. update: Potential jurors are now being questioned behind closed doors about any media coverage they’ve seen on the Dan Markel murder case.

One called it a “contract killing” and another said he was “locked in” on his opinion of their guilt. Both were excused.

Some said they knew “bits and pieces,” others “very little,” but on the flip side there were potential jurors who mentioned the popular podcast and others who mentioned Markel’s in-laws....

The judge telling jurors the trial could last up to four weeks, but the jury will not be sequestered during the trial."

Jury selection underway in Dan Markel murder trial
--

Jury selection starts in Dan Markel murder trial

Sep 23, 2019

Julie Montanaro WCTV‏Verified account @JulieMontanaroW 49m49 minutes ago
Day 2 of jury selection underway in the Dan Markel murder case. 50 more potential jurors now in the courtroom @WCTV
EFO1K0bWsAIswig.jpg

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 48m48 minutes ago
We’re back to try and seat a jury in the murder trial of two people accused of killing Dan Markel
EFO1vgvXUAAElOJ.jpg

Julie Montanaro WCTV‏Verified account @JulieMontanaroW 3m3 minutes ago
Everyone here now gathered around a table as jurors are questioned privately and individually about media coverage and possible hardships @WCTV

EFPADfTXUAAOZqd.jpg

Courtroom attire, random speculation.
Where do the accused get the clothing that they wear in court?
Cannot help but notice SG looks "put together" but KM does not.
In the first photo above( post#444) she is wearing a too tight suit and the undone blouse buttons looks sloppy. Any chance she is expecting?

Somehow it never looks good when a defense lawyer has a hand in his pocket.
What is Proper Dress and / or Attire for a Court Hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sleutherson90