GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re scanners, I had wondered if any of the Adelsons or KM had one that day.

Only because if the “how did she already know?” question that Rivera asked in his confession because it appeared that Magbanua already knew it was done around 1230 when Garcia spoke to her. Also that there were calls among CA and KM (and maybe CA and DA but I forget) really shortly after the shooting like in the 11am-noon time frame.

Could someone have been monitoring emergency services radio transmissions with a scanner?

ETA: I'm not really sure how police scanners work but I do know there are people who enjoy monitoring these transmissions. I'm also not sure who would be monitoring this, but it would be an easy way to know there had been a shooting on Trescott Drive - within minutes of the call to 911 (even though they dragged their heels on this). Certainly this would have been broadcast on emergency services radio frequencies before any phone calls were made, that we are aware of anyway. In fact I think I remember the first police responder said he heard about the shooting over the radio and decided to head over that way.:

ETA#2: A quick search shows a hand held scanner for police/ambulance/fire etc. frequencies is about $80. Maybe Wendi bought one for this reason, heard the police/EMT talk...and thus knew when the shooting had happened.

Just something to ponder.

~E

You can also listen online for free in many cities.

Leon County Florida Live Audio Feeds

Markel Murder trial week 2 preview: State's key witness expected to testify
Posted: Mon 4:48 PM, Sep 30, 2019 | Updated: Mon 5:01 PM, Sep 30, 2019
By: Julie Montanaro | WCTV Eyewitness News
September 30, 2019

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) — Three days of jury selection and witness testimonies from the lead investigator and the victim's ex-wife were the week one highlights of the Dan Markel murder trial.
After a hiatus while Rosh Hashana was observed on Monday, court will resume at 8:45 a.m. Tuesday.
When the trial continues, co-defendant Luis Rivera is expected to testify against Sigfredo Garcia and Katherine Magbanua.

Markel Murder trial week 2 preview: State's key witness expected to testify

Tyto comes from the Greek “tuto” = owl
does make you wondering... clearly Wendi thought she was so smart with word play - tv repairman code, bulliet vodka, the pun of "Late-Ex" husband on the podcast she did - if she weren't such a narcissist she'd resisted driving by the crime scene, she'd have resisted doing a public podcast about being a widow-ex...she'd behaved quite differently after the murder: attending memorials, not being scene partying with charlie, not putting pictures of her and the boys and her parents and brother on facebook under one happy family, not changed the boys' names and not removed the middle name of her son...
if she were less evil, the divorce would have looked differently too: she would have for example returned to Dan the holocaust ring that had been in his family for so long.
if if if ... if only - he would be alive today.

I wonder if the flurry of contacts that evening was after he put the owl on an Instagram and MG contacted him to take it down. Do we have documentation of when the owl was put up on Instagram, and of her calling him to do that and how did she contact him?

Tuto= Garcia nick for an owl= pic of an owl that Rivera posted on Instagram the night before murder=Wendi shirt with owl the next day

What coincidences, no one ever said. Just needing to connect the dots.

Unfortunately, could this be like other cases such as Casey Anthony where we saw so much posted on SM that never got into the trial?. And all of these things may never get into the trial as they are too prejudicial?

But hopefully, it makes law enforcement and others dig deeper because they know it points to the truth? M o o

something i just found "In most Native American tribes, owls are a symbol of death. Hearing owls hooting is considered an unlucky omen, and they are the subject of numerous 'bogeyman' stories told to warn children to stay inside at night or not cry too much, otherwise the owl may carry them away."

Tyto comes from the Greek “tuto” = owl
does make you wondering... clearly Wendi thought she was so smart with word play - tv repairman code, bulliet vodka, the pun of "Late-Ex" husband on the podcast she did - if she weren't such a narcissist she'd resisted driving by the crime scene, she'd have resisted doing a public podcast about being a widow-ex...she'd behaved quite differently after the murder: attending memorials, not being scene partying with charlie, not putting pictures of her and the boys and her parents and brother on facebook under one happy family, not changed the boys' names and not removed the middle name of her son...
if she were less evil, the divorce would have looked differently too: she would have for example returned to Dan the holocaust ring that had been in his family for so long.
if if if ... if only - he would be alive today.

Anxious to hear "Rivera’s shifting stories". . .
Confessed Dan Markel murderer Luis Rivera could take the stand Tuesday
Published 8:00 p.m. ET Sept. 30, 2019
After a whirlwind first week in the trial of two people charged with killing Florida State law professor Dan Markel, proceedings will continue with one key witness expected to testify early on.

Luis Rivera, the state’s witness who confessed to riding with accused gunman Sigfredo Garcia from Miami to Tallahassee, could take the stand Tuesday afternoon.
[...]
Adelson testified late Friday afternoon [...]

She also contested parts of Rivera’s recorded statement that he and Garcia had seen her on July 17, 2014 as they cased Markel’s home on Trescott Drive.

Rivera told investigators during his Oct. 4, 2016 interview at the Jefferson County Jail that the pair saw her and her two boys walking down the road.

Rivera said she looked at the car as they passed. He told Garcia he was nervous about the way she was looking at them.

Rivera said: "Who is this lady, why is she looking so much?"

"Oh, that's that lady. That's Wendi," he said Garcia replied. Rivera also told investigators that Magbanua facilitated the hit as the link between the Adelsons and Garcia, with whom she has two children.

"Katie is the woman in the middle doing everything," Rivera said in his interview. "It's all because of Katie, man.”

Zangeneh is adamant that Rivera’s shifting stories and lack of credibility will come to light in front of the jury and cut through the state’s case.

As Zangeneh said during his opening arguments, "The government has hitched their wagon to Luis Rivera."

Luis Rivera (Tato) freely admits to being illiterate in his confession and his defense attorney in his racketeering case said he couldn’t read or write. Knowing the Greek etymology of owl species names, I doubt. But I’m curious fur his testimony this week for sure!

Luis Rivera (Tato) freely admits to being illiterate in his confession and his defense attorney in his racketeering case said he couldn’t read or write. Knowing the Greek etymology of owl species names, I doubt. But I’m curious fur his testimony this week for sure!

He may not have known but I bet $100 that WA does.

Anxious to hear "Rivera’s shifting stories". . .
Confessed Dan Markel murderer Luis Rivera could take the stand Tuesday
Published 8:00 p.m. ET Sept. 30, 2019
After a whirlwind first week in the trial of two people charged with killing Florida State law professor Dan Markel, proceedings will continue with one key witness expected to testify early on.

Luis Rivera, the state’s witness who confessed to riding with accused gunman Sigfredo Garcia from Miami to Tallahassee, could take the stand Tuesday afternoon.
[...]
Adelson testified late Friday afternoon [...]

She also contested parts of Rivera’s recorded statement that he and Garcia had seen her on July 17, 2014 as they cased Markel’s home on Trescott Drive.

Rivera told investigators during his Oct. 4, 2016 interview at the Jefferson County Jail that the pair saw her and her two boys walking down the road.

Rivera said she looked at the car as they passed. He told Garcia he was nervous about the way she was looking at them.

Rivera said: "Who is this lady, why is she looking so much?"

"Oh, that's that lady. That's Wendi," he said Garcia replied. Rivera also told investigators that Magbanua facilitated the hit as the link between the Adelsons and Garcia, with whom she has two children.

"Katie is the woman in the middle doing everything," Rivera said in his interview. "It's all because of Katie, man.”

Zangeneh is adamant that Rivera’s shifting stories and lack of credibility will come to light in front of the jury and cut through the state’s case.

As Zangeneh said during his opening arguments, "The government has hitched their wagon to Luis Rivera."

The defense attorneys are going to go nuts when Tato takes the stand.
My theory about the “we saw Wendi” thing. They saw a lady and kids walking on Trescott that Thursday while they were casing out the house and assumed it was Wendi.
It’s pretty clear it wasn’t Wendi IMO.
But this will be argued by the defense as one of LRs lies to serve the prosecution up with the storyline they wanted for his plea deal.

Yea, the prosecutor should have been more prepared I think

My theory about the “we saw Wendi” thing. They saw a lady and kids walking on Trescott that Thursday while they were casing out the house and assumed it was Wendi.
But this will be argued by the defense as one of LRs lies to serve the prosecution up with the storyline they wanted for his plea deal.
LR stated SG mentioned it was WA and the kids in that area. He may have got the day wrong when he actually seen her...He was up there twice and is not making a statement until over two years later...who knows for sure? With those buses running around with cameras and all her telephone information they probably sent to Cellebrite Forensics for phones going back to who knows when only God knows what they have in the can for WA. See how they reminded her how she spelled "Jibbles" In other words good morning, good afternoon and goodnight! It's just a matter of time before the shoe starts dropping big time.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced it wasn't Wendi and the kids who they saw. It was the summer -- so she probably wasn't busy with her FSU job. If she knew about the plot and if she was anxious about making sure the hit happened she could have arranged to be on Trescott so she could see the green Prius and know that SG and LR really were in town. MOO.

I'm not convinced it wasn't Wendi and the kids who they saw. It was the summer -- so she probably wasn't busy with her FSU job. If she knew about the plot and if she was anxious about making sure the hit happened she could have arranged to be on Trescott so she could see the green Prius and know that SG and LR really were in town. MOO.
Law Enforcement must have presented LR a picture of WA to verify his statement after he mentioned it at interrogation.

There are preschool records showing the kids were in preschool on the date and time LR says they saw the lady and kids on Trescott. Can't find link but it I believe it was covered in some pretrial depositions. I'm sure the defense attorneys will strenuously bring it up to attack LR credibility. But his testimony will be that SG essentially said to LR in the car 'there's the lady', not the LR knew that was her.

Just coming out of from continuous lurking. I am from Tallahassee, and I have kept up with this case for years. When I read that approximately 750 county citizens were being summoned for this case, I wondered if I would be called to the courthouse. They never did call me, but I don't think they would have been interested as I have followed this case for the past five years. Just as I followed the Mike Williams case from 2000. (Same Judge, he's really a great Judge.) A lot of what the ex wife stated on the stand has bothered me. I always felt she was innocent from the beginning, but I am suprised by how evasive her testimony was. I am wondering if she sobbed and complained to her family for a long time knowing that they would eventually intervene. As the brother stated to the Mother ( in the phone tap concerning the undercover agent), "I will take care of it". I wonder if this was what was told to the ex wife? She had to know something was going to happen, but not sure of exactly what. I believe this is why she drove out of her way to the liquor store. I have driven that route before, it is not only out of the way, but very heavy congestion around Capital Circle especially at lunchtime on a Friday. Just random thoughts that I keep coming back to. I will go back to lurking.

I love reading here at Websleuths. Want to say that you all are a very intelligent and insightful group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper