GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #7 *arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished listening to the Over My Dead Body podcast (the Against Mercy episode) and it seems that some of the reasons the State has not brought charges against the Adelson family is because 1) not only did Willy Meggs think that there was not enough evidence to charge anyone in the Adelson family, but 2) it was suggested that he didn’t want the State to go up against high priced South Florida attorneys that he knew the Adelson’s have access too — and then lose the case because the evidence wasn’t strong enough. He is retired now, but Georgia Cappleman speaks on the podcast and says that they are still waiting for a break in the case, and that more arrests could come - but not until someone comes forward to provide the info they need. She doesn’t understand why KM or SG haven’t cut a deal by now, and says if she was in either of their shoes - she’d be singing like a bird by now. She suggests that there is “a heavy” reason why they aren’t speaking.

Continues to blow my mind that as a mother of small children she would turn down a sweetheart deal to save CA and/or SG.... emphasis on CA. What does she think he is going to do for her? It is amazing (and not in a good way).

I guess, if convicted, she could flip on CA but can the state change a jury sentence?
I thought the same thing, at first. After reading the probable cause affidavit of CA, it states through wire tapping in April 2016, she packed a bag and left her children with their father. This took place when the undercover agent was posing as a someone wanting money for LR. Why leave your children alone because you are in fear of getting in trouble. IDK. To me, it shows she is more concerned about herself and money than those poor kids. No wonder she won't plead. She is convinced she is going to walk away from this with lots of money.

If she is aquitted, is she just going to be another tv in need of repair?

Not to bright

For some reason, and maybe it’s because I want to believe it, I think LR has a conscience and it did bother him... but maybe it was just to save himself. He does have children and talked about them...

Rivera's testimony reminded me of the scene in the great movie "Scarface" where Tony Montana (Al Pacino) is forced to do a hit of a political figure, but when the time comes, he sees that the target has his wife and kids with him, and he refuses to do the hit, which ultimately leads to his own demise.

Here's the clip - WARNING - language and violence -

Scarface (1983) - No Wife, No Kids Scene (6/8) | Movieclips

i think as soon as things got hot, CA instructed his attorney to find "loyal" attorneys for KM and SG and i think they are all in cahoots to ultimately protect CA and his family. (DeCoste and Markus are located in the same building on the same floor). i also think that his attorney figured out a clever way for CA to mask the source of the fee payments to these attorneys which snookered the judge. also, it may seem that SG's attorney has thrown CA under the bus with his alternate theory, but he really hasn't. his one job is to get his client off - SG. if SG and KM walk, the state's case against CA is significantly weaker. and SG's attorney's alternate theory has no relevance in a trial of CA. SG's attorney needed to come up with the best alternate theory he could, and it does not put CA in any legal jeopardy, it actually does the opposite if it can get SG (and KM) off.

Do y’all think that the defense attorneys are being paid by the Adelsons? They have no choice but to go for the Adelsons at this point and it just seems like they would not be willing to go for that... but I can’t see how they could afford these attorneys on their own.
and on another note I don’t know why but I’m shocked that this family is that wealthy. I guess dentists in Florida do better than I thought!

Good point! And if there is a mistrial, its going to cost a hell of a lot more expensive, witch will stretch Charlie's budget. Especially since his practice is getting kinda lean. Also there's testimony that he is sweating bullets. Haha.

The Dan Markel Case: Katherine Magbanua Turns Down A Deal
By David Lat
Jul 24, 2017
"On Friday, a scheduled four-hour hearing in which state prosecutors sought to unravel the money trail was whittled down to 30 minutes as Magbanua’s attorneys volunteered to tell Leon Circuit Judge James Hankinson in private who was footing the bills for her first-degree murder defense.

The 32-year-old is one of three people charged in the July 2014 shooting of Florida State law professor Dan Markel in what investigators say was a murder-for-hire plot….

Hankinson said he was satisfied Magbanua’s Miami attorneys Tara Kawass and Christopher DeCoste weren’t being paid by the family of Markel’s ex-wife Wendi Adelson and declined to disclose to prosecutors who was.

“The court is comfortable that the payments for the attorney fees are being paid by a third party unrelated to the Adelson family,” Hankinson said after the 15-minute session behind closed doors. “I don’t believe any further inquiry is needed or appropriate.”

Pretty sure it's Soros.

LIVE JUST STARTED.
Livestream 2

Markel Murder trial Day 5: Witness testimony continues
markel+murder+suspects+in+court.jpg

Sigfredo Garcia and Katherine Magbanua are now on trial accused of conspiracy, solicitation and murder in the FSU law professor’s death.

This case reminds me of the Aaron Hernandez double murder trial. Similar to that case, there are two possible shooters. And one of them has turned state’s evidence. Obv Rivera is not some stand up guy and the jury will have to seriously contemplate his credibility. By his own admission he bought the murder gun and got paid a substantial amount. Jury acquitted AH and a lot of ppl speculated it was bc there’s no way to know who the shooter was. Even though there was evidence they were both there that night together. Just like in this case, both there in the Prius.

I wonder if that’s what defense is banking on. I haven’t heard everything so sorry if I’m missing something.

Yes, I was looking up felony murder in the State of Florida last night. With many states, if you are with somebody that commits murder you are just as responsible. But the State of Florida doesn't list that as one of the items for felony murder. As you were thinking also, if somebody is with somebody who commits murder they are often just as responsible.

My thinking is that when this is finally said and done, at the very minimum, the 4 Adelsons will be lifers, and ALL their money will be in trust for the Markel kids.

At this stage that seems unlikely. Even if SG and KM flip (which is not a given) and the Adelsons are put on trial, the current evidence indicates WA may have been aware the hit was planned, but there is no evidence she was actively involved in the planning stage. That will not be enough to score a murder conviction and as far as I can google, having knowledge of a crime being planned but not stopping it, is not a crime in Florida. And even if WA was actively involved, I fully expect DA and CA will jump on the grenade and take the full blame for actually planning the hit, so WA gets to remain free. If WA was actively involved her mother and brother are not going to flip on her regardless of the consequences since that would mean the kids end up with the Markels and that would be unacceptable to them.

At this stage that seems unlikely. Even if SG and KM flip (which is not a given) and the Adelsons are put on trial, the current evidence indicates WA may have been aware the hit was planned, but there is no evidence she was actively involved in the planning stage. That will not be enough to score a murder conviction and as far as I can google, having knowledge of a crime being planned but not stopping it, is not a crime in Florida. And even if WA was actively involved, I fully expect DA and CA will jump on the grenade and take the full blame for actually planning the hit, so WA gets to remain free. If WA was actively involved her mother and brother are not going to flip on her regardless of the consequences since that would mean the kids end up with the Markels and that would be unacceptable to them.

Agree, unless there's evidence we don't know about. Maybe we can hope for a conspiracy charge for Wendi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member