GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #7 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesday, October 8th:
*Trial Continues (Day 8) (@ 8:45am ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - *Sigfredo Garcia (34) arrested & charged (5/25/16) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy & solicitation of murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DP case.
Murder for Hire hit man. They split a $100K payoff for murder.
*Katherine Magbanua (32) (Garcia's wife) arrested (Oct. 2016) & charged with first-degree murder, conspiracy & solicitation of murder were brought together into one case on Tuesday (3/20/18). Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
KM has rejected several offers of immunity for her testimony.
Trial started on 9/23/19. Jury: 10 women & 2 men & 1 alternate (woman); was 2 alternates one got sick & excused on 10/3/19.

Court info from 9/23/19 thru 10/4/19 reference post #802 here:
Found Deceased - FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #7 *arrests*

10/7/19 Day 7 Trial: Jury could get the case Wednesday. Prosecution plans to rest Monday. State witnesses: TPD Sgt. Chris Corbitt back on stand testified about wiretaps that were placed on two of Katherine Magbanua's phones & on Charlie Adelson's phone. (TPD investigator says there are more than 350 wire tap recordings, state sought to admit more than 40, judge allowed about 30). Sherrie Bennett an investigator with TPD and handled documents & evidence involving wire taps. FBI Special Agent Patrick Sanford (lead agent). Jurors hear a call between Charlie Adelson & Katherine Magbanua & call where she calls back. It happened April of 2016. Moving on to another call a day later between CA & KM. Most of the calls dhear today will be between the two of them. Calls between Katherine Magbanua and Sigfredo Garcia & calls between Charlie & his mother. (Charlie Adelson finally contacts the undercover on April 28. He approached Donna Adelson April 19). Court ends for the today. State did not rest. Trial continues tomorrow at 8:45am 10/8.
Accomplice:

*Luis Rivera (33) charged with 1st degree murder. Took a plea deal (Oct. 2016) & plead guilty to 2nd degree murder. Will testify against Garcia & Magbanua. Will receive 19-year sentence to run concurrently with his 12 year Federal time, which he is already serving.
POIs: Wendi Adelson (ex-wife of Markel), her bro Charlie, mom Donna Sue Adelson (68) & father Harvey Adelson. Investigators have not charged anyone in the Adelson family in connection with Markel’s death, but say Adelson’s mother and brother – Donna and Charlie Adelson – paid $100,000 to have Markel killed following the couple’s contentious divorce so their two young sons could move to South Florida.

Listening to the strange phone call between CA and KM today around 3:15, I became nauseous. He’s her third favorite Jew? Do you think she is so enamored with him, she has illusions of ending up with him? He is a real charmer, typical of a sociopath, and you know he really wanted to get off the phone with her, but he didn’t. Hope his patient wasn’t waiting on him with his mouth open!

It does not appear to be a strange phone call to me. If anyone were in their shoes, allegedly having committed despicable deeds, under surveillance by FBI, stressed, and attempting to deflect attention, this would be the type of phone call you want the FBI, and potential future jurors to hear.

Obviously, this is a phone call between two people well aware that they are monitored; and willing to feed cr**ps to the indiscrete ears!

It may not meet some people’s expectation but SG’s lawyers appear to have succeeded put a reasonable doubt about 1) is SG the true triggerman? (hence, no DP); 2) why is the main perpetrator pointed by the prosecution and the SG’s defense, aka CA, not in front of the tribunal?

I would not be surprised if I see 2nd degree for SG.

And, despite the paludal comportement of KM’s lawyer, there must be a reason why the Kawass sisters were gesticulating from the opening and stayed quiet for the most parts. This board member Christopher M. DeCoste appears to have an education and an underlying legal support (a small army of lawyers helping from the back) way above the others. The Kawass sisters will speak again to make the concluding statements to appeal to the well selected dominant gender of the jury.

KM was giving immunity for cooperation? Hence, she is not as guilty as the two others? The jury may give her that break.

Sad.

IMO -

1. KM is convinced that she beats the case - her puppet, third party paid attorneys have convinced her that she will be acquitted per the instructions they received from their puppeteer. the alleged masterminds have promised KM that after she is acquitted, she will collect $1M+ lump sum and an income stream and gifts for life. hence, she rejected the immunity flip deal. her attorneys are also functioning as a daily communication, financial, and legal direct-line conduit to the alleged masterminds via their attorney - who just so happens to be in the same building and on the same floor! they are constantly reassuring KM that everything looks great to keep her playing ball while they collect their big fees as they delayed delayed delayed for 3 years - which benefited the alleged masterminds while KM rotted in jail. highly unethical and quite possibly illegal IMO. if KM flipped before trial she would be free. if KM gets convicted she could be sentenced to LIFE. if KM flips after conviction, perhaps the state will offer her 15-20 years. that's a big gamble to take!
2. SG knows he's screwed whatever he does because he was the trigger man and the evidence and testimony against him is overwhelming. life in prison or death penalty doesn't make much difference to him at this point - in fact he might even prefer the death penalty. so he's got nothing to lose - his life is over regardless - so he's not going to snitch on his baby mama. he knows about KM's $1M+ "reward" and is on board with that gamble because it will take care of her and the kids and also because of his "machismo" to be a man and take the fall for his baby mama and children so they can be set for life. SG's silence is one last final act that he can do to take care of his family.

Last edited:
IMO -

1. KM is convinced that she beats the case - her puppet, third party paid attorneys have convinced her that she will be acquitted per the instructions they received from their puppeteer. the alleged masterminds have promised KM that after she is acquitted, she will collect $1M+ lump sum and an income stream and gifts for life. hence, she rejected the immunity flip deal. her attorneys are also functioning as a daily communication, financial, and legal direct-line conduit to the alleged masterminds via their attorney - who just so happens to be in the same building and on the same floor! they are constantly reassuring KM that everything looks great to keep her playing ball while they collect their big fees as they delayed delayed delayed for 3 years - which benefited the alleged masterminds while KM rotted in jail. highly unethical and quite possibly illegal IMO. if KM flipped before trial she would be free. if KM gets convicted she could be sentenced to LIFE. if KM flips after conviction, perhaps the state will offer her 15-20 years. that's a big gamble to take!

If indeed her lawyers have convinced her she will be acquitted (which would amount to malpractice imo) she is going to blow a gasket when she’s convicted. She is the only connection between the Adelsons and the gruesome twosome. They would have no reason to kill Markel but for the money, which came from the Adelsons, which she brought. The stapled money corroborated by June U and Rivera. Then you have all these phone calls that further establish the link —-> CA calls KM, KM calls SG. I mean, there’s clear and convincing evidence imo for a conviction. It just boggles my mind that she’s willing to take such a risk. Based on her attitude on the calls, I find it hard to believe there’s a loyal bone in this woman.

Never heard about Robert. Why is he estranged?
Years ago, DA pushed and pushed him to break it off with his fiancée (who is not Jewish and Indian) and to marry a Jewish girl instead. He did, but the marriage only lasted a couple of months; he divorced the Jewish girl and went back to his Indian fiancée, whom he married. The couple now live in upstate New York and have several kids; DA cut off contact with him completely and the rest of the family followed suit, although I believe his was Facebook friends with DM. He has described his mother as "dangerous".

Also on the brother, I've said it before, but if one listens to the Over My Dead Body podcast on the case, he (and his wife) speak out. And although he doesn't say 'they did it' it comes across loud and clear IMO.

It sounds like after he married his current wife (which was before WA married DM) his family and him did reestablish a relationship of sorts. But after the DM murder it sounds like he has barely had any contact with them. He speaks about how they seemed to lack any curiosity about what happened to DM. He says when he heard of the murder he thought he knew what had happened. The clear implication is that he thinks they are behind it....moo

If indeed her lawyers have convinced her she will be acquitted (which would amount to malpractice imo) she is going to blow a gasket when she’s convicted. She is the only connection between the Adelsons and the gruesome twosome. They would have no reason to kill Markel but for the money, which came from the Adelsons, which she brought. The stapled money corroborated by June U and Rivera. Then you have all these phone calls that further establish the link —-> CA calls KM, KM calls SG. I mean, there’s clear and convincing evidence imo for a conviction. It just boggles my mind that she’s willing to take such a risk. Based on her attitude on the calls, I find it hard to believe there’s a loyal bone in this woman.

Maybe it was court tv (not sure exactly but one of those attorney commentary things) that I thought I heard KM's defense team asked (possibly begged?) her to take a plea. I could be wrong - I will attempt to find a clip.

is it possible that CA is funneling payments to KM (and SG) through her "immediate family" and the judge was snookered?

Magbanua’s defense, her lawyers said last month that Katie Magbanua’s defense is being paid for by her family:

“They’re wrong on their theory of the murder just like they’re wrong on their theory of who’s paying for Katie’s defense, which is her immediate family,” DeCoste said in an email [to the Tallahassee Democrat]. “They’ve gone into their savings, into their retirement accounts, causing financial hardships, all in order to protect Katie from a wrongful conviction at the hands of an overzealous prosecution. In time their suspicions of the murder will be disproved just like the offensive suspicions that Tara Kawass and myself are focused on anything other than our duty to Katie.”

The Dan Markel Case: Lingering Questions Over Who’s Paying Katherine Magbanua’s Legal Fees

Tally: Markel Murder Trial Update #1 | 10
09/27/2019
Over My Dead Body
"Dan Markel’s murder trial begins in Tallahassee. The alleged hitman faces the death penalty, but where are the people the prosecution says hired him? And which side will prevail?

Matthew Shaer speaks with Tallahassee Democrat reporter Karl Etters about the trial's opening statements, and what happens next"

Respectfully, I don't have the time to go through all of today's testimony to find it, but twice in the recordings we heard today Charlie Adelson theorizes that the whole reason for his mom being approached on the street with the "paper/flyer" was because someone in his family must owe someone some money....he said he has a really big family, cousins and what-not, and specifically mentioned his brother twice, wondering if maybe HE owed someone money. The first time he even said something about how he'd turn his brother in for the reward money if his brother was responsible for Dan's murder (although I don't think he said "Dan's murder" specifically).
Thanks so much for taking the time to tell me what he said. :) There is so much to read, I had given up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx