GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #8 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the combining of the cases was not too confusing.
this is a great point. I think the joinder of the cases (which state wanted and at least KMs attorneys opposed) makes this whole complicated thing a hell of a lot more complicated.

Instead of one coherent case against one defendant and one coherent defense there is a lot going on on so many levels with these 2 defendants. Throw in LR and the specter of unindicted co-conspirators the As,
It's a bit head spinny

this is a great point. I think the joinder of the cases (which state wanted and at least KMs attorneys opposed) makes this whole complicated thing a hell of a lot more complicated.

Instead of one coherent case against one defendant and one coherent defense there is a lot going on on so many levels. It's a bit head spinny
True, but they would still have to prove a lot of these same points in separate trials. I'm starting to think they should have tried CA with these two defendants. JMO.

I still don’t agree with the joint trials.

KM is on a different level than SG, IMO. KM ordered the murder but SG was the one to committ the murder.

While the justice system may see it as one and the same, I doubt the common citizen will see it that way.

Also, juries have a difficult time coming to a conclusion for one person in a murder case. How can they reasonably agree on a verdict for two people with different levels of involvement?

So Zangeneh argued the white shirted passenger in the Tally video was shirt sleeved but Garcias white shirt in the ATM video was long sleeved; therefore the Tally white shirt wasn't Garcia?

Hahaha

=

why would the jury ask the odd question about two partners, one going for a robbery and one for a murder? in what scenario is this even relevant? if it were relevant it would be for LR - but SG was in it for murder all along. And KM ordered it. Were they not listening?
A juror or two maybe having a hard time with their faculty of reasoning and has to be walked through the evidence. I think we will have a verdict around noon.

Last edited:
This is interesting IMO.. Screenshot of a DA email from preview of tomorrow's 20/20 episode on ABC
Video: Evidence reveals 'unhinged' emails from Wendi Adelson’s mother

Mama D... Unhinged is one word to put it. I'm struck by the part where she says to W that not only Ws future but the future of D, H.....and C (wtf?!?) rides on how W handles her custody battle.
This is not dated but I think it's from summer 2013.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    426.8 KB · Views: 108
This is interesting IMO.. Screenshot of a DA email from preview of tomorrow's 20/20 episode on ABC

Mama D... Unhinged is one word to put it. I'm struck by the part where she says to W that not only Ws future but the future of D, H.....and C (wtf?!?) rides on how W handles her custody battle.
WOW. And let’s just use the boys as pawns in the meantime...

The whole family (except, of course, the normal brother) is so very enmeshed. It's sick and DA is beyond toxic. Perhaps if Wendi and Charlie had learned a long time ago to stand up to her this whole tragedy never would have happened. Of course, they're narcissists so that carries it's own set of issues. But DA clearly rules the house and does everything she can to spread her poison everywhere. Poor Dan.

I'm worried about these verdicts!!!!!!
I just watched the state's closing online and am am feeling a bit optimistic-- IMO GC started off a little rocky and awkward with the reading of the divorce file and DA emails but she soon caught fire and did a good job of laying out the evidence against SG and KM

I didn't watch the defense closings because, can't stand them guys

Friday, October 11th:
*Trial Continues (Day 11)-VERDICT WATCH! (@ 8:45am ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - *Sigfredo Garcia (34) arrested & charged (5/25/16) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy & solicitation of murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DP case.
Murder for Hire hit man. They split a $100K payoff for murder.
*Katherine Magbanua (32) (Garcia's wife) arrested (Oct. 2016) & charged with first-degree murder, conspiracy & solicitation of murder were brought together into one case on Tuesday (3/20/18). Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
KM has rejected several offers of immunity for her testimony.
Trial started on 9/23/19. Jury: 10 women & 2 men & 1 alternate (woman); was 2 alternates one got sick & excused on 10/3/19. Alternate (man) excused from duty (10/10/19).

Court info from 9/23/19 thru 10/8/19 reference post #1409 here:
Found Deceased - FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #7 *arrests*

10/9/19 Trial Day 9: Judge, attorneys still discussing whether they will do closing arguments today or tomorrow and whether jury will be sequestered during deliberations or not. Garcia's team asks that the jury be sequestered once they go out for deliberations, Judge Hankinson agrees. Garcia’s attorney says he may renew his motion to sever. Defense witness: Katherine Magbanua. Only 1 question from jury: It was about her employment as a bottle girl. She talked more about her responsibilities. Defense rest their case. State rebuttal witnesses: Sgt. Chris Corbitt (going over 4 text messages of CA from ICloud). The state has concluded their rebuttal. Judge Hankinson says he now has to meet with the attorneys before closing arguments. That'll be first thing in the morning. Hankinson tells the jurors to pack a bag for overnight stay as jury will be sequestered during deliberations. Closing arguments begin Thursday (10/10) morning, jury deliberations to follow later in the day.
10/10/19 Trial Day 10: Judge read jury instructions. Four verdict choices for Garcia: guilty of first degree, guilty of second degree, guilty of lesser manslaughter, or not guilty. There's also his conspiracy count and solicitation count, Magbanua's choices are the same, except there are no interrogatories. Although they were tried together, they jury must consider the two separately. Georgia Cappleman, Prosecutor done with closing arguments. Garcia's attorney Saam Zangeneh done with closing. Magbanua's counsel, Christopher DeCoste done with closing. Cappleman done with rebuttal closing. One alternate (man) has been dismissed from jury. Jury starts deliberations at 3:52pm ET. Jurors will keep going until they reach a verdict. If it's 8 or 9 tonight & they're still going, they'll stay in a hotel and return tomorrow, 10/11. Three plus hours into deliberations, jurors in the Markel murder case have some questions for the judge. Judge Hankinson says there are 2 questions. Questions both involve principal. The state has objected the response to question 1. Overruled. Both questions have to do with what principal means & how it would apply. Judge said principal theory does not apply to conspiracy. Jury back to deliberations. Another question: They want to know if the cell tower mapping is available. They want to review cell tower maps. Judge Hankinson tells them some of the maps are demonstrative aids and not available. There are some exhibits that show mapping. Judge announces the jury will soon be taken by van to a nearby hotel, kept in rooms on an isolated floor, & brought back tomorrow 10/11 at 8:45a to continue deliberations. Day ten ends after 4.5 hours of deliberations.
Accomplice:
*Luis Rivera (33) charged with 1st degree murder. Took a plea deal (Oct. 2016) & plead guilty to 2nd degree murder. Will testify against Garcia & Magbanua. Will receive 19-year sentence to run concurrently with his 12 year Federal time, which he is already serving.

POIs: Wendi Adelson (ex-wife of Markel), her bro Charlie, mom Donna Sue Adelson (68) & father Harvey Adelson. Investigators have not charged anyone in the Adelson family in connection with Markel’s death, but say Adelson’s mother and brother – Donna and Charlie Adelson – paid $100,000 to have Markel killed following the couple’s contentious divorce so their two young sons could move to South Florida.

Wondering if some might be reluctant to "condemn" both
parents equally because of the children ?
imo, speculation.

I worry about this. When I see KM and SG together, I see a variety of interactions.
Sometimes you see them appearing satisfied to be in each other's presence.
Who knows what they are talking about, but they have a shared history together, some of which was likely highlighted by the joys, happiness, and love for one another and children that all families have.
Sometimes you see KM glancing at SG, when he is turned away. As if she's reaching out.
Earlier, SG looked delighted to see KM. I can only imagine he dwells on her during the years of confinement.
It's hard to believe that there is not some degree of longing, perhaps for each other due to the loneliness of their current situation, perhaps due to nostalgia.
They are human.

I hope the jurors recognize, however, that despite their humanity, SG and KM would gladly take $100,000 to kill any of them.
Come up to their driveway, when you're taking out your groceries, cleaning up the kids toys, getting ready for church.
KM and SG are stone-cold killers, driven by greed and without any empathy for others.
If the cash is available, they will gladly take your life.

I have a difficult time seeing that this is the reality of some people. I even cannot see this in them, and I have heard their facts.
But, I have no doubt that KM and SG do not share my reluctance, because they know themselves and each other so well.

May God bless Dan and his sons. I pray for the best verdict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member