GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #8 *arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultimately, this was GC's case to lose. She had all the evidence she needed to get a conviction. If she doesn't, it's because she didn't argue the law well and she didn't present the evidence in a concise and clear manner. It's not the jury's fault.

Agreed!! So many of us said the same thing - that we were on the fence before she testified but she convinced us that she knew prior to the murder that it was going to happen and that she was culpable to assisting it to happen!
Yes - such a great job done on that podcast.

Makes me look at her initial interview very differently. To be honest I always felt a hinky feeling about it..she's just a little too slick. It's also got me wondering if she intended to set up LaCasse all along. She was throwing him under the bus almost immediately.

Ultimately, this was GC's case to lose. She had all the evidence she needed to get a conviction. If she doesn't, it's because she didn't argue the law well and she didn't present the evidence in a concise and clear manner. It's not the jury's fault.
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with your premise. Remember that both sides are selecting the jury and, depending upon the jury pool, lawyers are often faced with terrible Hobson's choice as they have to choose which juror candidates they should exercise a preemptory challenge to remove. Both attorneys for each defendant were striking every juror they felt would be unfavorable. Thus, the jury ultimately is a compromise and not within the prosecutor's control. You can be critical of her performance, but I don't think many here would disagree that the evidence is compelling and a reasonable person should be able to reach a conclusion. I found her argument to be persuasive and, although I wish her cross had been more extensive, the evidence is there and this jury should be able to reach a verdict.

Does this jury really believe SG was doing CA a direct favor? No way SG would have known anything about DM without KM! She is the link.

ETA- Actually, though, the state as about as much evidence on CA as they do KM! He should also be on trial.

@vislaw

I keep thinking of your Nizer quote yesterday - which I liked very much. I worry that these jurors need neti pots :(

ETA Wanted to link your post but failed lol. It is seriously worth re-reading!

Does this jury really believe SG was doing CA a direct favor? No way SG would have known anything about DM without KM! She is the link.

ETA- Actually, though, the state as about as much evidence on CA as they do KM! He should also be on trial.

The difference is that LR was able to directly implicate KM. He couldn't do so for CA.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with your premise. Remember that both sides are selecting the jury and, depending upon the jury pool, lawyers are often faced with terrible Hobson's choice as they have to choose which juror candidates they should exercise a preemptory challenge to remove. Both attorneys for each defendant were striking every juror they felt would be unfavorable. Thus, the jury ultimately is a compromise and not within the prosecutor's control. You can be critical of her performance, but I don't think many here would disagree that the evidence is compelling and a reasonable person should be able to reach a conclusion. I found her argument to be persuasive and, although I wish her cross had been more extensive, the evidence is there and this jury should be able to reach a verdict.

I don't disagree with you and I too feel like the evidence is overwhelming and this jury should be able to reach a verdict. But I'm sure you'll agree that ultimately the state has the burden to prove a case beyond a reasonable doubt. And the fact that these jurors are asking so many questions about how to apply the law to the facts and in light of GC not covering this in her 2 hour closing you have to ask whether the fault lies with her. At least some of it does. JMO.

Last edited:
I wonder if the judge will have them come in on Saturday if no verdict or still undecided on one. I hope the jurors don’t rush the verdicts just to leave. Still, I have a sinking feeling.

ETA- I realize most of us have followed the case closely but actually, it isn’t that complicated. Despite GC’s closing, I really thought she put on a good case.

The judge sent back a response that he needed clarification and for them to try to ask again. It's been 1 hour and 50 minutes and the jury has not come back to ask him for clarification and to re ask the question another way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crackerjack82