GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #9 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar case, murder for hire with middleman. Jump to the prosecution's closing argument. She does a good job IMO. GC should watch this as prep for next trial -

FL v. Jimmy Rodgers Trial - Closing Arguments
Law & Crime Network

Exhibit List from Leon County Clerk webpage

Interesting to see....

I do not recall the pawn ticket.

Is the visitor log for another person, the name of the record keeper or just a mistake? It was not used...N/A listed next to it....

There is/was another inmate that was incarcerated in Leon County Jail by that name. GC never clarified some of the statements supposedly made by KM i.e. these are courtesy of the professor etc. They were just thrown out there with little follow-up and I can see why if it is someone with a lengthy record..

ETA: added to and reworded

Attachments

• Exhibit List Magbanua_Garcia.pdf
    668.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Exhibit List from Leon County Clerk webpage

Interesting to see....

I do not recall the pawn ticket.

Is the visitor log for another person, the name of the record keeper or just a mistake? It was not used...N/A listed next to it....

There is/was another inmate that was incarcerated in Leon County Jail by that name. GC never clarified some of the statements supposedly made by KM i.e. these are courtesy of the professor etc. They were just thrown out there with little follow-up and I can see why if it is someone with a lengthy record..

ETA: added to and reworded

9:30 a.m. update
An investigator with the State Attorney's Office was on the stand testifying about a fingerprint analysis done on a pawn shop form with Sigfredo Garcia’s name on it.
Thomas Balboni says the form, dated October 2013 from a pawn shop in Miami, had Garcia’s thumbprint on it. Balboni says he took Garcia’s fingerprints and then compared the thumb prints on the two forms.
Balboni called it a match.
He also read aloud the phone number written on the pawn shop transaction form.
That form pre-dates Dan Markel’s murder by nine months. It’s not clear what item Garcia pawned.

Markel Murder trial day 3: State's key witness takes the stand

9:30 a.m. update
An investigator with the State Attorney's Office was on the stand testifying about a fingerprint analysis done on a pawn shop form with Sigfredo Garcia’s name on it.
Thomas Balboni says the form, dated October 2013 from a pawn shop in Miami, had Garcia’s thumbprint on it. Balboni says he took Garcia’s fingerprints and then compared the thumb prints on the two forms.
Balboni called it a match.
He also read aloud the phone number written on the pawn shop transaction form.
That form pre-dates Dan Markel’s murder by nine months. It’s not clear what item Garcia pawned.

Markel Murder trial day 3: State's key witness takes the stand
thanks GordonX! I figured it was to prove his desperation for money.

Unfortunately by the time I found out the trial was happening I could never catch up to all the trial coverage. I did manage to stomach most of the juror interviews after the fact; and of course I was glued to my seat for WA's, LC's and KM's testimony.

Oh, my word. I found this on Twitter. Did a quick search to see what's new. At this point, it seems Wendi's image/brand is permanently ruined. Btw the juror's comment on how nobody thought she was innocent, her actions after the arrests, + her testimony -- the die of public opinion is cast. The internet is forever. Even if she is never brought to justice through the law, I think she's cooked. And that brings me some satisfaction. I don't see how she can come back from this, do you? She'll always have Tova though. And Charlie will always have June U. IMO
Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 4.45.45 PM.png

Last edited:
So tomorrow, we learn if KM keeps her pricey out-of-town private defense team.

Here is some background on her immediate family. KM has two brothers, Erik and Francis. Erik lives in Gainsville and testified at her bond hearing. Frances is married with two kids and lives in South Florida. Francis was married to Samantha Chez-Magbanua. KM's mom passed away while she was in jail. I do not know and could find no info about other "immediate family."

Theories of how KM's lawyers satisfied the judge as to who is paying her legal fees:
They showed that the money was coming from Francis and Samantha.
There is another wealthy family member somewhere and somehow.
There was insurance money after KM's mom's death.
A Santeria priestess pulled some strings and made money magically appear.

All legal records in regards to the children are not available for obvious reasons. But in the court docket, you can see the titles of any activity but no details.

Search it all here by the name Samantha Chez-Magbanua. It's public record. It would be interesting to get a lawyer's take as to what's going on legally with KM's support system. I want this second trial of hers to be fair.
Case Search - Public - Broward County Clerk of Courts

October 2016
KM arrested. One of her brothers, Erik, testified at her bond hearing that KM kids were being cared for by their other brother Francis, who also has kids of his own. Also, at this hearing, Erik was asked by GC if their family had any wealthy members. Erik said no and that they all had regular jobs. I heard this with my ears but didn't have a link.

June 2017
Guardianship of minors filed by Samantha Chez-Magbanua for KM's and SG's kids.

July 2017
"Magbanua's attorneys in February said her immediate family was paying for her legal fees even though it caused them financial hardship and reiterated that to the Tallahassee Democrat Friday. " Judge: No connection to Adelsons in suspect's legal fees

March 2018
Samantha Chez-Magbanua was arrested for Grand Theft for stealing 1.19 million dollars from her employer. Embezzlement arrest of Magbanua's in-law being investigated for ties to Dan Markel case. She gave over $600k to a santeria princess who she says KM introduced her to, hmmm.

May 2018
Samantha and Francis file a petition to change minors' names (not sure if KM's kids or her own).

November 2018
Samantha Chez-Magbanua files that she is indigent and for the dissolution of marriage from Francis Magbanua.

September 2019
Samantha files a motion (8 pages-- ATTACHED) for a downward departure after her guilty plea. It addresses her mental illness, emotional and physical abuse from Francis Magbanua, and how Francis pressured her to take in KM and SG's kids even tho she did not want to. Makes WA's claims of emotional abuse seem trivial in comparison.

Samantha ordered to pay partial restitution of $273k immediately and to pay in installments after that.

Samantha sentenced to 10 years in prison and 15 years probation after that. So, she is currently in jail and not a guardian to KM's kids anymore.

So, if the attorneys stay on, I'd love to know how she is paying them now.

Attachments

• MC_Docket.PDF
    608.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Oh, my word. I found this on Twitter. Did a quick search to see what's new. At this point, it seems Wendi's image/brand is permanently ruined. Btw the juror's comment on how nobody thought she was innocent, her actions after the arrests, + her testimony -- the die of public opinion is cast. The internet is forever. Even if she is never brought to justice through the law, I think she's cooked. And that brings me some satisfaction. I don't see how she can come back from this, do you? She'll always have Tova though. And Charlie will always have June U. IMO
View attachment 210347

Omg, if Wendi starts speaking in a lower-than-normal octave she and Elizabeth will truly be the same person.

maybe there is a connection between the crimes?
So tomorrow, we learn if KM keeps her pricey out-of-town private defense team.

Here is some background on her immediate family. KM has two brothers, Erik and Francis. Erik lives in Gainsville and testified at her bond hearing. Frances is married with two kids and lives in South Florida. Francis was married to Samantha Chez-Magbanua. KM's mom passed away while she was in jail. I do not know and could find no info about other "immediate family."

Theories of how KM's lawyers satisfied the judge as to who is paying her legal fees:
They showed that the money was coming from Francis and Samantha.
There is another wealthy family member somewhere and somehow.
There was insurance money after KM's mom's death.
A Santeria priestess pulled some strings and made money magically appear.

All legal records in regards to the children are not available for obvious reasons. But in the court docket, you can see the titles of any activity but no details.

Search it all here by the name Samantha Chez-Magbanua. It's public record. It would be interesting to get a lawyer's take as to what's going on legally with KM's support system. I want this second trial of hers to be fair.
Case Search - Public - Broward County Clerk of Courts

October 2016
KM arrested. One of her brothers, Erik, testified at her bond hearing that KM kids were being cared for by their other brother Francis, who also has kids of his own. Also, at this hearing, Erik was asked by GC if their family had any wealthy members. Erik said no and that they all had regular jobs. I heard this with my ears but didn't have a link.

June 2017
Guardianship of minors filed by Samantha Chez-Magbanua for KM's and SG's kids.

July 2017
"Magbanua's attorneys in February said her immediate family was paying for her legal fees even though it caused them financial hardship and reiterated that to the Tallahassee Democrat Friday. " Judge: No connection to Adelsons in suspect's legal fees

March 2018
Samantha Chez-Magbanua was arrested for Grand Theft for stealing 1.19 million dollars from her employer. Embezzlement arrest of Magbanua's in-law being investigated for ties to Dan Markel case. She gave over $600k to a santeria princess who she says KM introduced her to, hmmm.

May 2018
Samantha and Francis file a petition to change minors' names (not sure if KM's kids or her own).

November 2018
Samantha Chez-Magbanua files that she is indigent and for the dissolution of marriage from Francis Magbanua.

September 2019
Samantha files a motion (8 pages-- ATTACHED) for a downward departure after her guilty plea. It addresses her mental illness, emotional and physical abuse from Francis Magbanua, and how Francis pressured her to take in KM and SG's kids even tho she did not want to. Makes WA's claims of emotional abuse seem trivial in comparison.

Samantha ordered to pay partial restitution of $273k immediately and to pay in installments after that.

Samantha sentenced to 10 years in prison and 15 years probation after that. So, she is currently in jail and not a guardian to KM's kids anymore.

So, if the attorneys stay on, I'd love to know how she is paying them now.

maybe there is a connection between the crimes?

I wish a journalist would chase this down. It sounds wholly nefarious and is just sitting out there.

Karl, take a road trip and interview the Santeria priestess. Find the gun while you're at it. You must make it up to us after the juror count false tweet.

Samantha gave "the witch," who KM knows, 600k for love spells. REALLY? Pretty sure I found priestesses' FB page too, but won't post it cause of rules and all. It's riddled with Jesus pics and posts. I got inspired by Ashley Feinberg and in turn, did some in-depth sleuthing. That's a joke for, perhaps, the one other person who gets it.

View attachment 210347
Let's not forget the event in August for Senator Merkley where she was scheduled to speak...according to Justice for Dan she was pulled from the program after public outcry. :)

Last edited:
OK, I understand now. Of course it makes no sense since it was a total lie, and the prosecution messed up by not grilling her about that.
I agree a totally lame excuse. The reason I know is personal, I moved from Texas ( no expansion state like Florida)to Washington state where we have the Medicaid expansion. When the state told me I qualified for the free no deductable no cost for RX I just started crying, here you can own a home two cars and have a little money and still get the very needed medical insurance. It's was a Godsend to move here cause within 6 months I had a heart attack, now I'm in kidney failure and the list just goes on. I feel blessed to have this coverage even though I have to say it is nowhere near as good as it was when my hubby was employed at a company that was self-insured, no pre-auths and all that mess but it is better than Texas for sure. She just lied to cover her *advertiser censored* on the cash she was getting, her lawyers should have told her that story wouldn't pass the smell test.

Tuesday, October 22nd:
*Case Management Hearing (@ 10:30am ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - *Katherine Magbanua (32) (Garcia's wife) arrested (Oct. 2016) & charged with first-degree murder, conspiracy & solicitation of murder were brought together into one case on Tuesday (3/20/18). Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Murder for Hire hit man. They split a $100K payoff for murder KM has rejected several offers of immunity for her testimony.
Trial started on 9/23/19. Jury: 10 women & 2 men & 1 alternate (woman); was 2 alternates one (man) got sick & excused on 10/3/19. Jury Deliberations on 10/10/19: 4.5 hours. 10/11: 6.5 hours for guilty verdict on Garcia. Mistrial declared for Magbanua. (9-3 guilty). Total 11 hours. Will remain in jail as a charged co-conspirator, and the State will try her case again.

Court info & trial from 9/23/19 thru 10/11/19 reference post #1546 here:
VERDICT WATCH - FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #8 *arrests*

10/17/19: Defense files witness list: Sigfredo Garcia.
Accomplices:
*Sigfredo Garcia (34) – found guilty of 1st degree murder. Guilty of conspiracy. Not guilty of solicitation. Sentenced to LWOP for murder plus 30 years for conspiracy charge.
*Luis Rivera (33) charged with 1st degree murder. Took a plea deal (Oct. 2016) & plead guilty to 2nd degree murder. Will testify against Garcia & Magbanua. Will receive 19-year sentence to run concurrently with his 12 year Federal time, which he is already serving.

POIs: Wendi Adelson (ex-wife of Markel), her bro Charlie, mom Donna Sue Adelson (68) & father Harvey Adelson. Investigators have not charged anyone in the Adelson family in connection with Markel’s death, but say Adelson’s mother and brother – Donna and Charlie Adelson – paid $100,000 to have Markel killed following the couple’s contentious divorce so their two young sons could move to South Florida.

in this podcast : Tally: Against Mercy | 6l it was said the only reason KM refused an immunity deal and instead sat in jail for 3 years is due to the fact she was not involved and had nothing to offer. I disagree she could be in fear of retaliation if she does speak and of course the fear of implicating SG. It will be interesting to see if she talks now that he has been convicted.

in this podcast : Tally: Against Mercy | 6l it was said the only reason KM refused an immunity deal and instead sat in jail for 3 years is due to the fact she was not involved and had nothing to offer. I disagree she could be in fear of retaliation if she does speak and of course the fear of implicating SG. It will be interesting to see if she talks now that he has been convicted.

KM demonstrated no fear of CA or SG in those wiretaps.

Just had a thought while walking my dog and wanted to ask before I forget!

Now that Katie has testified under oath she was Charlie's personal assistant, can her defense bring this up as fact during her next trial? And then expand on it with lies under the guise of "here's what personal assistants usually do for their very busy professional bosses?" And then Katie doesn't testify so the prosecution doesn't have a chance to grill her on it?

I know Donna was the one signing the checks, and not Charlie, but it still makes me nervous!

regarding medical insurance for KM's children, wouldn't they qualify for Medicaid ?, why did KM have to have a free paycheck from the Adelson Institute in order for them to get medical coverage? I went back and listened to her testimony again to make sure I heard her correctly and the excuse she gave just did not jive. As long as her income was below whatever the level is her children should have been eligible for CHIPS or whatever they call it now so I don't get her reasoning.??
Yeah her reasoning didn’t make sense at all. Jurors should have saw through that BS.

Last edited:
Just had a thought while walking my dog and wanted to ask before I forget!

Now that Katie has testified under oath she was Charlie's personal assistant, can her defense bring this up as fact during her next trial? And then expand on it with lies under the guise of "here's what personal assistants usually do for their very busy professional bosses?" And then Katie doesn't testify so the prosecution doesn't have a chance to grill her on it?

I know Donna was the one signing the checks, and not Charlie, but it still makes me nervous!

A party is ordinarily not permitted to use or refer to testimony he/she gave in a prior trial. Her testimony CAN be used against her by the prosecution if she testifies in the next trial and her testimony varies from or appears to conflict with the prior trial's testimony. The prosecution also may be able to use her prior testimony to contradict claims made by the defense in the new trial. For instance, you'll recall her attorney raised the question as to whether a dental management software package might be operated remotely (implying that Katie may have been working from home through her computer). The prosecution should be able to use her prior testimony if the defense tries to make such a fanciful claim again or if they try to suggest her employment was legitimate.

KM may very well choose to not testify in the next trial because, if she does, her prior testimony is fair game for cross examination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cokie