GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #9 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a mistrial and, thus, the current judge maintains jurisdiction over the defendant (hence, the case management conference taking place this Tuesday). The judge will set a new trial date and will preside over the new trial unless he chooses to recuse himself. ... While a defendant can always make a motion for a change of venue, the likelihood of success is small, given no indication it would be difficult to impanel a jury again.

I am hopeful the new trial gets televised. There are precedents for retrials not being televised (Phil Spector, for instance) if the judge feels the video feed was prejudicial to either the defense or the State.

I enjoy learning about the legal process. Your information and explanations are a great help! If was a little (okay, a lot!) younger I'd consider volunteering for an attorney just to learn!

Well, if we needed any more evidence that KM is a master manipulator, she certainly had this juror wrapped around her little finger.

has anyone else noticed that this juror didn’t believe TWO witnesses -

the homeless black guy and the latino born into terrible circumstances....?

she believed the white rich defense attorney hired by the white privileged family...

yet she’s totally “woke” and saying the prosecutor needs sensitivity training.

if this wasn’t all so sad her lack of self-awareness would be hilarious !!

I don't know the answer to this, but may I ask what "terrible circumstances" KM was born into?
As far as I can see, she had a hard-working, family-centered mother that nurtured her and provided the conditions that enabled KM to go to University.
KM enrolled in University and applied herself sufficiently to graduate.
Those are not "terrible circumstances." Of course, there is a lot I don't know.
Yet, her circumstances are not equivalent to a homeless black guy.
Not even close.

I don't know the answer to this, but may I ask what "terrible circumstances" KM was born into?
As far as I can see, she had a hard-working, family-centered mother that nurtured her and provided the conditions that enabled KM to go to University.
KM enrolled in University and applied herself sufficiently to graduate.
Those are not "terrible circumstances." Of course, there is a lot I don't know.
Yet, her circumstances are not equivalent to a homeless black guy.
Not even close.

I think he's talking about LR, not KM.

Prosecution was "pushing" a theory that best fit the facts of the case. That is what every prosecution in every case does. But this juror decided to throw out this theory saying that *the prosecution was biased in pushing their theory* yet claims that she herself is unbiased and objective. No, an objective person would be able to put aside any feelings about any atty and look at what story the evidence best tells.

(rsbm)

I think when she grows up she will realize this.

I think he's talking about LR, not KM.

oh... ok.
But still, juror sympathy toward KM still resonates with this characterization: Oppression due to bias and/or status.
Do we know if there was anything really bad about KM's early upbringing?
What exactly led her to such an insecure life...scrambling daily for multiple part-time, low-paying temp jobs, marrying into gang culture?
Eventually motivating her to take $100k for crime.

IMO Kawass and DeCoste were hand-picked by Markus.
Very true...and more than likely after reading Mr. Markus' comments about "Katie" after her initial arrest and most recently her mistrial it's like she is a very close friend and he can't help but throw himself out there in attempt to gain media attention for him and his client CA. He mentions after 3 years of investigations and gathering evidence a case just isn't there against CA.
It is the defense who have not requested the right of their client to a speedy trial in 175 days or less for a felony and have let KM cook in the Leon County Jail for the past 3 years only to have her take the stand and parrot out a story she could have recited 3 years ago.
IMO. Obviously Mr. Markus can't get it through his head that there is no statue of limitations in murder cases in Florida and direct or circumstantial evidence can pop up out of the strangest places down the road. What does he think., the State is just going to forget about Charlie and his involvement? I don't think so...

Last edited:
has anyone else noticed that this juror didn’t believe TWO witnesses -

the homeless black guy and the latino born into terrible circumstances....?

she believed the white rich defense attorney hired by the white privileged family...

yet she’s totally “woke” and saying the prosecutor needs sensitivity training.

if this wasn’t all so sad her lack of self-awareness would be hilarious !!

Welcome to WS, and excellent first post. Great observation!

oh... ok.
But still, juror sympathy toward KM still resonates with this characterization: Oppression due to bias and/or status.
Do we know if there was anything really bad about KM's early upbringing?
What exactly led her to such an insecure life...scrambling daily for multiple part-time, low-paying temp jobs, marrying into gang culture?
Eventually motivating her to take $100k for crime.

I believe someone posted here that her dad had a good job, her mom worked in the medical field and her two brothers are professionals-I can't remember what field they work in. I'm not sure why she decided to fall in with gang members.

Basic human intelligence?
(rsbm)

I think when she grows up she will realize this.

I just hope she actually grows up.

Also, I wonder if any of the jurors know we are here discussing their decisions. Maybe they don't care what others think, but I would be curious.

IMO Kawass and DeCoste were hand-picked by Markus.

I thought someone stated they shared the same office building (or something like that)... I guess a check of addresses could verify this. Or maybe I'm mistaken.

It's terrible to admit this but besides my dislike of KMs "look" and testimony on the stand, I was also distracted by Kawass' pronounciation of any word ending in "r". Anyone else notice or remembuh... Or maybe it's a weird irritation noticed only by me.

I believe someone posted here that her dad had a good job, her mom worked in the medical field and her two brothers are professionals-I can't remember what field they work in. I'm not sure why she decided to fall in with gang members.
Her sister in law (married to one of KM’s brothers) chose to marry a shady person who is a cheater, and a thief - so hanging around with shady people seems to be perfectly ok with KM’s family

The Dan Markel Case: A Helping Hand For Katherine Magbanua — From A Relative Accused Of Embezzlement?

I'm sitting with my thoughts on the juror interview.

After Wendi's testimony, this deserves a boost.

Wendi Adelson's criminally lousy novel, "This is Our Story"
Outside the Law School Scam: Wendi Adelson's criminally lousy novel, "This is Our Story"

"Even at the risk of death by Prius-driving hitman, I am compelled to endorse the latex Markel’s decision not to read his wife's novel. This is Our Story is inartful, shallow, clichéd, oddly bland given its human trafficking theme, and terribly self-important. Interestingly though, Adelson states that her book purports to tell, in substantial part, her own story. In an afterword to her novel, Adelson states that “I, selfishly, wanted you to know a bit about my story, which has much – but not all – in common with Attorney Lily” (i.e. the main character in the novel). "

"In the novel, Lily, a lawyer in her early thirties, gives up a thriving corporate practice in DC to follow her seemingly bright and sweet, if exasperatingly blunder-prone, new husband Josh Stone to “this Godforsaken place”—namely, “North Florida State University” in “Hiawassee Springs,” where Josh holds a professorship. Unfortunately, Josh installs Lily in what he describes as an “adorable, cozy” country house that he has just rented without realizing that the place is infested with cockroaches. Lily overcomes her disgust at her new digs and the boredom of small town life by hooking up with a nonprofit and becoming a pro bono immigration attorney specializing in helping trafficked women, the only one in a 300-mile radius."

Suppose you were in a blind date and the prospect talks a lot about her likes and dislikes. Should you attempt to stop her from time to time; and, say to her “Please, may I take turn and speak now?” Of course, not!

Amongst your blind date’s likes and dislikes is potentially a hair in your food! Let her talk nonstop if that is her nature. Talking nonstop alone is a potential hair in your food! And perhaps, there are more! If there is hair in your food, it is best for you to find it rather than to eat it!

During jury selection, attorneys on both sides use voir dire to weed out the “hair in your food” juror! The following is a hypothetical scenario. Of course, I am a good citizen and I would not do this in real life.

But, suppose, I am called to jury duty and I am not interested about being in a panel comprised of disparate under educated Southerners. I am talking about the ones in Tallahassee who are “using knife butter as screw driver”. Suppose, I find it unpleasant to be a potential juror to figure out if this breast augmented immigrant woman, equipped with unpleasant lawyers who axed questions instead of asking questions, were guilty or not of hiring the father of her kids to kill the former brother in-law of her sixty seventh boyfriend, on behalf of his Law School educated criminal sister.

What should I do? I should find a way to hint to the defense lawyers that I am a pro-government juror. No matter what defense lawyers say, I always believe that the State Attorneys, the local police, and the FBI are right! The defense attorneys should weed me out of the jury panel. Then, I am free to go to care for my lucrative business.

Perhaps, the self-aggrandized and incompetent State attorneys missed the hair in their food! They let in the jury panel this raging Social Justice Warrior (SJW). If you have encountered SJW one in your real life, you should have noticed that these SJW tend to talk a lot in their attempt at shoving in your throat their low IQ views. This SJW should have revealed prejudicial facts that could have poisoned the entire jury panel. State attorneys, please learn that weeding out of jury panel this type of SJW is what voir dire is for!

Outside the Law School Scam: Wendi Adelson's criminally lousy novel, "This is Our Story"

"Even at the risk of death by Prius-driving hitman, I am compelled to endorse the latex Markel’s decision not to read his wife's novel. This is Our Story is inartful, shallow, clichéd, oddly bland given its human trafficking theme, and terribly self-important. Interestingly though, Adelson states that her book purports to tell, in substantial part, her own story. In an afterword to her novel, Adelson states that “I, selfishly, wanted you to know a bit about my story, which has much – but not all – in common with Attorney Lily” (i.e. the main character in the novel). "

"In the novel, Lily, a lawyer in her early thirties, gives up a thriving corporate practice in DC to follow her seemingly bright and sweet, if exasperatingly blunder-prone, new husband Josh Stone to “this Godforsaken place”—namely, “North Florida State University” in “Hiawassee Springs,” where Josh holds a professorship. Unfortunately, Josh installs Lily in what he describes as an “adorable, cozy” country house that he has just rented without realizing that the place is infested with cockroaches. Lily overcomes her disgust at her new digs and the boredom of small town life by hooking up with a nonprofit and becoming a pro bono immigration attorney specializing in helping trafficked women, the only one in a 300-mile radius."

reminds me of these cases where the guilty brazenly wrote a book about their crime -

Almost the Perfect Murder - Crime Writers' Case Study - Crime Writer Sue Coletta

Ex-Fireman Serial Arsonist’s Unpublished Book Leads To Own Arrest For Murder

Without actually reading WA's book I'm stunned. Various authors have posted bits and pieces of it that make known how deeply she detested DM. The more I learn about WA, the more she is revealed as a callous vengeful fiend. That she hated DM is an understatement. She wanted to erase him long before the murder. To think that when she wrote that lousy book, she was already determined to never allow any of her children to even carry DM's name. What in her warped mind could explain such a deep-seated resentment? How her loathing of him must have grown even more during the divorce and subsequent custody battles. IMO she is more despicable than I first thought. As negative as my opinion of her was, I didn't think that was possible.

Without actually reading WA's book I'm stunned. Various authors have posted bits and pieces of it that make known how deeply she detested DM. The more I learn about WA, the more she is revealed as a callous vengeful fiend. That she hated DM is an understatement. She wanted to erase him long before the murder. To think that when she wrote that lousy book, she was already determined to never allow any of her children to even carry DM's name. What in her warped mind could explain such a deep-seated resentment? How her loathing of him must have grown even more during the divorce and subsequent custody battles. IMO she is more despicable than I first thought. As negative as my opinion of her was, I didn't think that was possible.

She is extraordinary in the absolute worst way possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cokie