GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #9 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You do have nice thoughts on getting justice. But, KM is not there yet and if we keep getting jurors like the one I listened to, well then let's just say I have my doubts.
We have to put our faith in the direction the prosecution has taken...patience. The screws are tightening and this is a test run in their pursuit to bring justice to the rest of the participants, beginning with CA if and when they are successful with KM. Until then, all the participants are still on the hook and in jeopardy of being charged with first degree murder.

Last edited:
Conspiracy evidence against KM was presented. Anyone have an idea what more the jury needed to convict KM. What exactly did these people need that they didn't have?
A separate trial for KM. Evidently they didn't have the capacity to decipher the evidence the prosecution presented against both defendants at the same time.

O/T

I've read only the smallest tidbits about the Kawass sisters. Anyone have info about their backgrounds, any previous notable defendants? And, how exactly did KM become their client? TIA!

The atty in the video makes the point at the end that one of the biggest problems with this juror / jury is not going after the adelsons with the bump testimony and wiretaps and the argument that if the evidence wasn't enough to charge the adelsons then why is enough to find KM guilty? Because ... all they have on the adelsons basically is the wiretaps and WA admission that her brother made a bad joke and the theory that but for the adelsons why on earth would these 2 guys from miami go to murder a professor in tallahassee. With KM they had the wiretaps with CA *and* SG. They had financial records that didn't add up. They had behavior that didn't add up (leaving kids with friend day of murder, not working yet having money). They had her living with someone who committed these murders so most conversations about what happened would easily be in person ..... There was much more evidence against KM than CA or at least evidence that was presented at this trial.
Of course the other reason why not go after CA until SG, LR and KM in jail because of people's theories of the prosecution being afraid of CA attys which may or may not be true and nothing this jury would have been privy to that speculation.

ETA: Also, of course if there was more evidence against the adelsons it wouldn't be admissable at this trial because. the. adelsons. were. not. on. trial. here. I can't figure out if it would have been better to separate SG and KM trials because the jurors couldn't parse out the evidence / guilt and it was good that CA wasn't also on trial too because it would have just confused things more. Or ... if it would have been better to just do them all at the same time / same trial.

But I'm beating my head against a wall trying to make sense of a juror who is non-sensical

Last edited:
Some are fair assessments in your post. I may not like them but can't disagree with validity of some.

Also, I found info in the link below quite interesting, as well.

This article was published in the Summer 2012 edition of the Oregon State Bar's Litigation Journal.

Publications | Miller Nash Mobile

* I don't know the writers source material but here is a snippet of the article. (Seems so much time wasted, imo)

Recent studies disclose that jury deliberation time is devoted to a discussion of the following issues in the following percentages of total deliberation time:

• 50 percent discussing general experiences;
  • 35 percent discussing procedural issues;
  • 8 percent discussing jury instructions; and
  • 7 percent discussing perceived admissible evidence.

Great reference “Rawlinson (2012). They Don’t Think Like Lawyers. Miller Nash, Graham & Dunn.” Thank you, @fred&edna! This piece puts in a nutshell what every high school graduate in “the land of the free and the home of the brave” should know about “inductive” versus “deductive” reasoning.

If you would please allow me, I would like to digress from the interpretation of the laws in general; and, visit briefly why are people seemingly with similar education or state or church or schools etc. making shockingly different assessment of facts?

Where are our contemporary high school kids to learn “inductive” versus “deductive” reasoning, in matters of laws? Should it be from google search?

Few years in the workforce in California, privileged with an Apple computer, a relatively new Mercedes Benz E320 my uncle gave me for “pennies” because he wanted to retire in the country side where the roads are not suitable for a sedan, and armed with the back then popular mindset of “Think different” (Apple computer slogan), I thought of myself as an educated young adult. Then, I was utterly shocked to realize that the newly immigrants from India, Iran, and Russia and elsewhere, coming to the USA on the H1B visa of the Clinton Administration, were way (may be 3 folds) ahead of me in terms of language, reasonings and mathematics.

We were about the same age, some of them have never seen an actual computer before, but … most of them have read, and continue passing to each other and reading from cover-to-cover, the computer programming textbooks I have read! That is when I gave up my illusory privileges; and, I went back to school to get my bachelor’s degree in 1995 in Mississippi.

After the fads of computer programming passed, several of these immigrants moved to economics, law, and corporate finance. Some of them earned a CPA or a Law degree, and became CEO, CFO, and legal counsel in some large corporations. Others got admitted to the State bars, such as in Florida where the rich retirees and the affluent immigrants reside. The Kawass sisters, DeCoste and Markus, and Saam Zangeneh remind me of my former acquaintances and coworkers. In fact, a couple of lawyers very similar to them, who are frequent posters at this very Websleuths forum, made me aware of this website.

Why is that important? Most of the entitled people such as I am stayed in the Information Technology for years. Some of us have chosen to come by, with less than third-world higher education level; sometimes climbing the socio-economic ladder by “knowing-who-knows what needs to be known” (aka networking); and, most of the times kissing-up (those like us who are ahead) and kicking-down (those who look different from us, who are behind). These are the ones who nag and display disdain in public as a way of contending with their change refractory fears.

If we want justice to be done for Dan Markel, and his family and former friends, we need prosecutors adaptable to societal changes rather than naggers who clinch status quo! If we want “the land of the free and the home of the brave” to stay on top of the World leadership in the future, it is time to teach in high school “inductive” versus “deductive” reasoning, not only in laws but in multiple facets of everyday life. And, above all, it is urgent to figure out how to teach our young people in high schools how to read and think; rather than googling everything and becoming upset when some words are not in their everyday lexicography.

I think the reason they tried these 2 together is because this has been so long in coming. Now it will be longer having KM go on trial by herself. We all know who the perp is and yet this rigamaroll has to go on to get to CA. The poor Markels.

computantis on Sep 25, 2019 said:
14 jurors = 12 females + 2 males => bad news for the prosecutors. This type of unbalance is statistically favorable to defendants. The 12 female jurors will be compassionate to KM, who is a female and mother of 2. Some of the 12 female jurors may flirt with SG.

GordonX on Sep 25, 2019 said:
i disagree. i think women will judge KM more harshly than men. i think most men are more inclined to give KM (a woman) the benefit of the doubt whereas women will be less likely to be swayed toward believing she's innocent just because she is a female. look at Wendi - i think most men give her the benefit of the doubt - whereas most women DO think she was involved in the alleged conspiracy. women can be very catty to each other. as far as SG goes, i don't think he will be seen by the female jurors as a sympathetic or romantic character especially after the evidence is presented - including pictures of DM with his children who no longer have him. i think they'll see SG as the creep and criminal that he is. i think 12 female jurors is great for the prosecution.

Well, I was wrong on this one. At least in this trial. Wishful thinking got the best of me!

Would KM's defense team likely request a change of venue at her next trial? Would this request be applicable? Obviously, I have no idea about legal stuffs (nor do I have a solid handle on the English language, lol) so be nice in any replies :D. Thanks!

Would KM's defense team likely request a change of venue at her next trial? Would this request be applicable? Obviously, I have no idea about legal stuffs (nor do I have a solid handle on the English language, lol) so be nice in any replies :D. Thanks!

There was a mistrial and, thus, the current judge maintains jurisdiction over the defendant (hence, the case management conference taking place this Tuesday). The judge will set a new trial date and will preside over the new trial unless he chooses to recuse himself. ... While a defendant can always make a motion for a change of venue, the likelihood of success is small, given no indication it would be difficult to impanel a jury again.

I am hopeful the new trial gets televised. There are precedents for retrials not being televised (Phil Spector, for instance) if the judge feels the video feed was prejudicial to either the defense or the State.

Me too. I hated while KM was on the stand she managed to slip in that her mother died, she has not seen her kids in 3yrs, her appearance has changed because she is in jail and all the damn talk about working the system to get insurance for her disabled kid.
Well, if we needed any more evidence that KM is a master manipulator, she certainly had this juror wrapped around her little finger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maktub