GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday, February 20th:
*Pretrial Release Motion Hearing (@ 9am ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - for *Katherine Magbanua (32) (Garcia's wife) arrested (Oct. 2016) & charged with first-degree murder, conspiracy & solicitation of murder were brought together into one case on Tuesday (3/20/18). Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Murder for Hire hit man. They split a $100K payoff for murder KM has rejected several offers of immunity for her testimony.
Trial set to begin on 4/13/20.
Trial started on 9/23/19. Jury: 10 women & 2 men & 1 alternate (woman); was 2 alternates one (man) got sick & excused on 10/3/19. Jury Deliberations on 10/10/19: 4.5 hours. 10/11: 6.5 hours for guilty verdict on Garcia. Mistrial declared for Magbanua. (10-2 for guilty). Total 11 hours. Will remain in jail as a charged co-conspirator, and the State will try her case again.

Court info & trial from 9/23/19 thru 10/11/19 reference post #1546 here:
VERDICT WATCH - FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #8 *arrests*

10/17/19: Defense files witness list: Sigfredo Garcia.
10/22/19 Update: There are three legal options for Magbanua: Prosecutors can dismiss charges; they can offer a plea bargain Or head to a jury trial all over again. No plea deal. Next trial is April 13 with the same counsel for KM. Next are pretrial hearings on 3/17 and 4/9. Magbanua filed an application to be determined indigent (poor) for costs. She is asking for the Judicial Administration Commission to pay for her costs. If approved, then she could file motions for Court approval to hire experts, investigators, etc. - at the tax payers' expense.
1/23/20 Update: Defense motion for bail filed. 1/31/30: Judge denies motion for bond. Judge Hawkinson set a hearing for an hour for her pre-trial release motion on Feb. 20 at 9 am.
Accomplices:
*Sigfredo Garcia (34) – found guilty of 1st degree murder. Guilty of conspiracy. Not guilty of solicitation. Sentenced to LWOP for murder plus 30 years for conspiracy charge. 11/4/19: Motion to Withdraw as Counsel: Mauricio Padilla; Motion to Withdraw as Counsel: Saam Zangeneh.
*Luis Rivera (33) charged with 1st degree murder. Took a plea deal (Oct. 2016) & plead guilty to 2nd degree murder. Will testify against Garcia & Magbanua. Will receive 19-year sentence to run concurrently with his 12 year Federal time, which he is already serving.

POIs: Wendi Adelson (ex-wife of Markel), her bro Charlie, mom Donna Sue Adelson (68) & father Harvey Adelson. Investigators have not charged anyone in the Adelson family in connection with Markel’s death, but say Adelson’s mother and brother – Donna and Charlie Adelson – paid $100,000 to have Markel killed following the couple’s contentious divorce so their two young sons could move to South Florida.

Saw this today. Wonderly is selling these podcasts like hotcakes. Their first, Dirty John, was widely successful on tv and now they have signed A-List Actors this new project. We know Over My Dead Body was sold. I can't wait so I went ahead and cast it. Who am I missing?

‘Anchorman’ Alums Will Ferrell & Paul Rudd Reteaming For MRC Television Limited Series ‘The Shrink Next Door’
Will Ferrell & Paul Rudd Reteam For MRC TV Series ‘The Shrink Next Door’ – Deadline

IMO, obvi.

Attachments

• OMDB_CASTING.pdf
    285.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Saw this today. Wonderly is selling these podcasts like hotcakes. Their first, Dirty John, was widely successful on tv and now they have signed A-List Actors this new project. We know Over My Dead Body was sold. I can't wait so I went ahead and cast it. Who am I missing?

‘Anchorman’ Alums Will Ferrell & Paul Rudd Reteaming For MRC Television Limited Series ‘The Shrink Next Door’
Will Ferrell & Paul Rudd Reteam For MRC TV Series ‘The Shrink Next Door’ – Deadline

IMO, obvi.

"or any Japanese body pillow will do if she’s not available" Hahaha, I'm dying!!! Well done! Personally, I prefer Connie Britton over Julia Roberts but that's because I'm a huge CB fan. And definitely, Glenn Close for DA.

IMO, obvi.
Reallybusy, I think we're destined to be friends.
Brilliant ... I'd vote Danes for the W role. Or Jessica Alba (with blue contacts in).
Cast some more! Garcia ... Cappleman... the judge.... GO!

She says she’s so tall that it’s tough to find tall enough men to date. She boasts of being 5’9” plus. But unless her 5’9” brother is ALSO wearing heels on their date here, I’d say this is another (literally, this time) tall tale.

Attachments

• tall_tale_bro_date.jpg
    tall_tale_bro_date.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 52
OVERSIGHT. I completely forgot Saam Zangeneh. For now, I'm casting Rami Malek.

SZ.png

In honor of my unintentional removal of Zangeneh from any relevance to this case, I'd like to revisit the breadcrumb he tossed to the public right after his client's conviction.

Start at 2:10. https://www.wctv.tv/video?vid=562861122

"Now that Garcia has been convicted with murder, three of the Adelsons should be quite nervous."

HMMM. The specificity of that statement is something.

Charlie: Check
Donna: Check

Is the third he's referring to Harvey or Wendi?

Last edited:
OVERSIGHT. I completely forgot Saam Zangeneh. For now, I'm casting Rami Malek.

View attachment 233871

In honor of my unintentional removal of Zangeneh from any relevance to this case, I'd like to revisit the breadcrumb he tossed to the public right after his client's conviction.

Start at 2:10. https://www.wctv.tv/video?vid=562861122

"Now that Garcia has been convicted with murder, three of the Adelsons should be quite nervous."

HMMM. The specificity of that statement is something.

Charlie: Check
Donna: Check

Is the third he's referring to Harvey or Wendi?
He was referring to Wendi. But Harvey should be ashamed of himself for skirting attention despite equal complicity.

Who wants to start something big on Twitter? One million trophy points (or at least, unending pride points) to whoever gets the most retweets on this one. Additional points for fun hashtags and @s. Include at least #Ghibercz so I can track it.

Side note: do any of the other candidates accept stapled cash donations?

Attachments

• wendi and bloomberg.jpg
    wendi and bloomberg.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 45
Feb 17 2020
Johnston & Stewart donate expertise, dig in for ‘Markel’ grandparent visitation push
''The act of moving nimbly and having feet firmly planted is an art — one that our friends at the new Johnston & Stewart Government Strategies are showing themselves unusually adept at.

The most recent example of this quality in Jeff Johnston and Amanda Stewart is close to the hearts of many: halfway through Session, they sign a new, pro-bono client — Justice for Dan, a group of friends of murdered FSU law professor Dan Markel, whose children and parents were cut off from one another by his ex-wife, Wendi Adelson, after authorities revealed she and/or her family were under investigation for orchestrating his murder, leaving his parents with zero options for recourse because Florida law provides no access to courts for grandparents in these situations.

That’s a mouthful, and just about as complicated as it sounds. To complicate it more, though, there’s no easy statutory solution for providing grandparents with any rights even in terrible circumstances such as this.''

“It’s exciting to have the guidance and expertise of Jeff and Amanda on our side,” said Justice for Dan founder Jason Solomon. “Our group deeply appreciates their generosity, professionalism, and passion for seeing this through.”

There’s certainly some urgency, and Markel’s friends are hoping there’s still a solution in sight this Session.

A year in a legislative cycle may not be long. But a year in the lives of young children and aging grandparents, kept apart unnecessarily, may as well be a lifetime.''

Who wants to start something big on Twitter? One million trophy points (or at least, unending pride points) to whoever gets the most retweets on this one. Additional points for fun hashtags and @s. Include at least #Ghibercz so I can track it.

Side note: do any of the other candidates accept stapled cash donations?

Ooof. I haven't seen that one yet. So, she's a CK (Calvin Klein) girl.

I'd be remiss if I didn't say I have been tinkering with ideas about a more strategic and impactful way to illuminate this case. Nothing has really stuck.

Re Wendi as the third Adelson, if true, then in the words of Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost, "Wendi, you in danger girl."

Last edited:
Ooof. I haven't seen that one yet. So, she's a CK (Calvin Klein) girl.

I'd be remiss if I didn't say I have been tinkering with ideas about a more strategic and impactful way to illuminate this case. Nothing has really stuck.

Re Wendi as the third Adelson, if true, then in the words of Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost, "Wendi, you in danger girl."
Care for a co-tinkerer?
To reference the same..... There's some chains that need rattling.
(Strategic, impactful rattling at that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper