GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That direct exam of KM….Kawass was almost out of breath. She was drowning and she knew it. That was a desperate woman leading her client and forgetting how to do a direct exam. She was much calmer and collected the first trial. Then Dugan came with the kill on cross. I mean you can see KM was panicked. They knew it was over from the get go!
I think Kawass really cares about KM and this is genuinely sad for her on a human level. I don’t think they are just using KM for legal career building. I wonder if the jury knowing too that CA was (finally) arrested helped or hurt KM in this trial or had no effect.

While agreeing that KM is criminally responsible for her part, I can appreciate righteous anger that WA and DA are free, and WA and DA had the past 6 years with their kids/grandkids while KM has been locked up away from her kids. Not a big DeCoste fan, but when he started out his WA cross with “This is all about you, isn’t it?” That picture of the two women smiling on the beach on Fathers Day 2014 is eerie in retrospect. That was in between the two SG/LR trips to Tallahassee…

Georgia Cappleman post trial interview, “there is still a ways to go …. I can’t speak to what is going on with other suspects who have YET to be charged!”

You go girl!!
Would love to see that interview. I don’t have a subscription to the Tallahassee Democrat. Was the interview there? I just searched but couldn’t find it on the web.

Maybe KM will be so mad now about taking the fall for this, that she will sing her head off about the Adelman’s involvement.
If Katie decides to tell the truth and flip on the Adelsons, it will be too little, too late. She had had the opportunity to do the right thing six years ago, and she would have gotten full immunity. Complete freedom for Katie. Instead, she will spend the rest of her life in a Florida state prison. She should be punished for making the Markels go through hell and wasting millions of taxpayer dollars on two trials. no deal for Katie!

Would love to see that interview. I don’t have a subscription to the Tallahassee Democrat. Was the interview there? I just searched but couldn’t find it on the web.
There is a special you can get digital version for $1 for six months, will try to see if I can find it for you.

Here is the article link with video interview, it may give you 1 article free read before you have to subscribe:

Jury delivers guilty verdict against Katherine Magbanua in Dan Markel murder case | Video, recap

Ruth Markel hugged prosecutors inside the courtroom, saying, “You did it. You did it. That’s fantastic,” to Assistant State Attorney Georgia Cappleman as they hugged.

After the verdict, Cappleman lauded investigators and the work that goes into holding two trials for the same defendant.

She said she hopes the eight-year path to this conviction gives Markel's family comfort in seeing people responsible for his murder brought to justice.

State Attorney Jack Campbell greets the Markel family after the jury finds Katherine Magbanua guilty on all counts on Friday, May 27, 2022 in her retrial for the 2014 murder of Dan Markel in Tallahassee, Fla.

"It's very thrilling and gratifying to be able to get some justice for Dan's family," Cappleman said. "They've been through hell and back and I'm just thrilled to be able to give them a piece of peace in their lives."

Phil Markel said he was grateful to the Tallahassee community and the tireless work of investigators.

"It's been a long road," he said. "The wheels of justice turn very, very slowly but we're grateful they're still turning."

If Katie decides to tell the truth and flip on the Adelsons, it will be too little, too late. She had had the opportunity to do the right thing six years ago, and she would have gotten full immunity. Complete freedom for Katie. Instead, she will spend the rest of her life in a Florida state prison. She should be punished for making the Markels go through hell and wasting millions of taxpayer dollars on two trials. no deal for Katie!
Oh, I totally agree that it is too late for her to get any concessions! I just wish she would do it out of spite… Because she’s in prison… And they’re not! Well, CA is in jail, but not in prison… And Donna and Wendi for sure need to be there! And I certainly wouldn’t be against her getting LWOP instead of dearh for total disclosure of the others’ involvement, but I don’t know if that’s an option or not in the sentencing phase.

I don't think she would be out in the free now with a plea. The deal would have been likely similar to what LR got, 20 years. I'm thinking she got poor advice from the A's about how they were going to bring in a hotshot Miami legal team to easily win her case in the sleepy Leon County court house. When choosing between a perceived easy exit vs. 20 years, she made the wrong choice.
She was allegedly offered time served which was three years in return for pleading guilty to something - possibly accessory after the act but she had to testify against SG and LR and possibly others. One of the others might make sure she did not last long enough to testify against him. It was too risky for her I think. The story of this deal is a verbal however GC has clarified immunity was never offered and I believe she filled out what was offered in one of the pre trial conferences with J Wheeler and the usual suspects. in fact Kawass was forbidden to use the word Immunity deal and how KM turned it down in any testimony or argument she made in the present trial as it would be a LIE. Immunity means no prosecution in return for evidence. Never on offer to KM

Agree. It sets a bad precedence if you allow defendants to refuse plea deals, run up huge court costs for the state, and then change their minds once they're found guilty. KM gambled and lost. We'll see next if Judge Wheeler decides if her convictions will run consecutively. SG didn't get death row, so KM won't either but she'll be in the slammer for life, assuming her appeals get turned down.

“Prosecutors did not divulge whether they expect more arrests in the case, but say they are now setting their sights on Markel's former brother-in-law Charlie Adelson, who was arrested on murder charges last month.

In a statement, Phil and Ruth Markel said they will continue to fight for justice and the opportunity to see their grandchildren, who they haven't seen since 2016.

The Adelson family, primarily Charlie and Donna Adelson, have been implicated as the financiers and masterminds behind the crime, intent on killing Markel to solve a tense custody battle between him and Wendi Adelson.

Magbanua was dating Charlie Adelson at the time of the murder and was purportedly working at his South Florida dental office. She and Garcia, with whom she has two children, had broken up.

Rivera and Garcia drove to Tallahassee in a rented Toyota Prius and stalked Markel as he dropped his kids off at daycare and went to the gym. At about 10 a.m., they pulled into Markel's driveway and shot him while he sat in his car. They then fled back to Miami.

Magbanua testified in her own defense for roughly five hours Thursday.”

As she closed her arguments, she held up a photo of Dan Markel.

“This is what this case is about,” she said. “Find her guilty.”

Ruth Markel hugs Assistant State Attorney Georgia Cappleman after the jury finds Katherine Magbanua guilty on all counts on Friday, May 27, 2022 in her retrial for the 2014 murder of Dan Markel in Tallahassee, Fla.

Last edited:
What a mess of bad parents in this case. How will Katie and Sig's kids feel to grow up with both parents in prison, and in mom's case, it was wholly unnecessary. And all for a mere $33K each, blown on vehicles and other crap. Maybe my parents weren't so bad after all.

Thank you so much!

there is a Memorial Day special now $1 for 3 months, you can sign up at that link or just google
Tallahassee democrat $1 digital subscription
and you will find the offer!

You are most welcome! Wish I had found this forum earlier, enjoyed the thoughtful and occasionally very funny comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1