GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to the jury for making the correct decision. We live in a society of laws where actions have consequences.

CA has millions to pour into an All-Star legal team (it won't be the KM team) but their job just got a lot more difficult.

Right now, are DA and WA allowed to leave the country unobstructed?

Wondering where KM will be, in thirty days + 1? Likely Ocala first but then possibly transferred to one of the others:
  • Florida Women’s Reception Center (Ocala)
  • Gadsden Correctional Facility (Quincy)
  • Hernando Correctional Institution (Brooksville)
  • Homestead Correctional Institution (South of Miami)
  • Lowell Correctional Institution (Gainesville)
  • Lowell C.I. Annex (Gainesville)
There will be appeals, of course, just like SG had his.

I just actually watched the verdict video. Katherine was gasping pretty heavy before the verdict was announced. And I actually felt for Ms. Kawass. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a defense attorney cry like that. She was really invested in Katherine’s innocence. Just a really really sad and tragic case, but I’m relieved a jury found her guilty.

Edited to add- I don’t feel sorry for Ms Kawass, just that I can empathize with her feelings.

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly with GordonX. The defense knew the evidence was stacked very high against them and they refused the deal. There has to be some form of malpractice there. Even if Katie was afraid for her kids’ lives, they should have been able to negotiate some relocation plan. Taking the stand was a Hail Mary, as we all knew. But, the lawyers should have known it would go so poorly and the outcome would be devastating for their client. Katie had no answers to questions even amateur trial watchers knew were coming.

Am I alone in feeling totally empty? Katie is a heartless murderer, liar, faker and cheat. Her defense was pathetic; a tragedy. And while the Kawass sisters can cry all night, that won’t stop them from cashing their checks creating a spike in their income plot that might not be all that different than Katie’s.

There’s a long way to go before there is justice for Dan and his family. The Markels are examples of grace. May they be a little more in peace tonight - or at least in a little less agony. May God bless Dan’s children and family.

Last edited:
IMO - I wonder if DA, HA, and WA are under surveillance right now. I think if I was them, especially DA, I'd be trying to figure out how to get out of the USA and into a country with no extradition treaty. I think an arrest of DA is imminent at this point. DA spoke in code. DA cut the murder checks.

The Kawass team's defense was on the verge of malpractice - all show, no substance - clearly not representing the interest of their guilty client. Kawass tears is just for herself - she wants her career to be rising and this will not be a good one for her track record. Also Kawass is all show, and the tears may be also show. She's been around too many fakers, it has bled off.

IMO - I wonder if DA, HA, and WA are under surveillance right now. I think if I was them, especially DA, I'd be trying to figure out how to get out of the USA and into a country with no extradition treaty. I think an arrest of DA is imminent at this point. DA spoke in code. DA cut the murder checks.
I wondered that too!

I have followed this case from the beginning. I am so relieved that Miss Middlewoman has been convicted. I do feel bad for her family, her children. She made many bad choices (Charlie was the worst) and now she has to live with them.

The Kawass team's defense was on the verge of malpractice - all show, no substance - clearly not representing the interest of their guilty client. Kawass tears is just for herself - she wants her career to be rising and this will not be a good one for her track record. Also Kawass is all show, and the tears may be also show. She's been around too many fakers, it has bled off.
I wonder about Kawass. She seemed geniune about believing in her clients innocence, and the mind boggles that KM did not take a plea. Could it be that KM refused it against the advice of her attorneys?

I wonder about Kawass. She seemed geniune about her clients innocence, and the mind boggles that KM did not take a plea. Could it be that KM refused it against the advise of her attorneys?
I think they convinced KM that they would get her off and she would collect the big pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and live happily ever after. But who were they protecting? Who was paying their legal fees? What a coincidence they're all in Penthouse One with Markus? Of all the attorneys in Miami? And conveniently putting KM on the stand and having her deny the conspiracy under oath has tainted any future testimony she may want to now provide against CA and DA! How convenient for the alleged masterminds!!! They protected CA as much as they could. They kept KM from accepting the plea deal and singing and they have tainted/impeached any future KM testimony against CA and DA. Brilliant!

Someone should file a complaint with the Florida Bar -

Last edited:
Does anyone know when CA’s next court date is?

I had missed this but yesterday, former friend/business partner of CA called by defense also saw the ‘staples of doom’ used— this will be another good witness in State v The Maestro:

When the 2019 trial was approaching, Fitzpatrick said Charlie “pulled the rug out” from under him in their common business, even above Fitzpatrick’s attempts to “placate the friendship.”

And Fitzpatrick corroborated one of the more peculiar facts of this case: Charlie paid him directly using stacks of hundreds stapled together in sums of $1,000.

I personally don’t think there is malpractice. KM is no naive babe in the woods being snookered —not by Sigfredo, Charlie, or her attorneys. She rolled the dice hoping to be acquitted just like she rolled the dice in 2014 that she could get away with murder.

Kawass was crying but who has been paying her legal fees??? Why didn't Kawass tell KM to take the plea deal, sing, and walk free, years ago??? What kind of lawyer turns down a get out of jail free card? And WHY? I'd like to see the Florida Bar investigate Kawass, DeCoste, and Markus and their handling of this case!
I will never understand why they didn’t encourage to a plea. I think she could have been out by now.

Oh gosh I hope you are right about DA being arrested! I have yet to watch the verdict, but am looking forward to it! How long was the jury out for?

I think the decision not to take the plea is all KM! Her lawyers did the best job they could with what they had. The tears on the lawyer’s part are probably from the tension of the whole thing. I can’t believe verdict was reached! She knew it was gonna be guilty with how quickly they came back!

She is truly a gigantic idiot for not taking the plea deal! I simply can not think of why she wouldn’t. Surely not to save Garcia’s hide? Now they’re both locked up for life! What is the point in that!?

I think the decision not to take the plea is all KM! Her lawyers did the best job they could with what they had. The tears on the lawyer’s part are probably from the tension of the whole thing. I can’t believe verdict was reached! She knew it was gonna be guilty with how quickly they came back!

She is truly a gigantic idiot for not taking the plea deal! I simply can not think of why she wouldn’t. Surely not to save Garcia’s hide? Now they’re both locked up for life! What is the point in that!?
I'm wondering if KM could not psychologically deal with pleading guilty -- that she can not bring herself to admit to this kind of wrongdoing. JMO.

I will never understand why they didn’t encourage to a plea. I think she could have been out by now.
I don't think she would be out in the free now with a plea. The deal would have been likely similar to what LR got, 20 years. I'm thinking she got poor advice from the A's about how they were going to bring in a hotshot Miami legal team to easily win her case in the sleepy Leon County court house. When choosing between a perceived easy exit vs. 20 years, she made the wrong choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces