GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So that part where Kawass addressed the camera and spoke directly to the Adelsons was bizarre. Any thoughts on this? It was totally out of place in a sentencing hearing. What part of her opinion about the visitation of her victim's children pertains to her sentence?

Still can't believe that Katie didn't sing. How are her kids supposed to feel....My parents gave up their freedom for $33K each to help some random rich people who care not at all. It's just so disturbing.

Well, that's that. A fitting sentence. Especially since she would not reveal the rest of the players in this homicide. Not sure how much naming names and telling the truth would have helped her, but now she can just live with the error of her ways and the harm she caused. Looks like greed was her favorite sin. Dan's murder couldn't have happened without her unless CA could have found another greedy chump.

So that part where Kawass addressed the camera and spoke directly to the Adelsons was bizarre. Any thoughts on this? It was totally out of place in a sentencing hearing. What part of her opinion about the visitation of her victim's children pertains to her sentence?
I totally agree, and the part where she said she wanted justice for every single person...that was crazy. If that was KM's thought, she had it in her power to bring some justice and sat on it.

Will Charlie’s hearing be live streamed? What time?
It was--it's super short and basically about scheduling.
I totally agree, and the part where she said she wanted justice for every single person...that was crazy. If that was KM's thought, she had it in her power to bring some justice and sat on it.
It had zero to do with determining her sentence but she was sending a message to the Adelsons. Maybe they stopped paying her bill?

It seemed to me that Kawass was emotional when speaking again. She needs to learn to not get emotionally involved with her clients, it's not a good look and if I needed an attorney, she would be the last one I would choose. IMO of course.
I noticed that Katie looked extremely scared and sad but did not make one bit of eye contact with Kawass that I could see.

1. consecutive sentences! not concurrent as TK asked for. moot point anyway.
2. so after 6 years KM is finally declared indigent and she will be assigned a public defender for any appeals. i guess the money spigot was turned off.
That consecutive part was huge in case her first degree murder ever gets overturned (which aside from making a deal is her best hope at this point).

Wow! I can’t imagined being in KM’s shoes! She will never see freedom again. Proper sentence!

I also LOVE how Ms. Kawass called out Wendi Adelson’s lies to the judge! She lied on the stand about facilitating the boy’s visitation with the Markel family! What a self serving LIAR! Wish she could be brought up on perjury charges.
Wendi also lied on the stand two years ago when she claimed she was moving toward visitation with the Markel grandparents

Kawass is all over the place! She didn’t have her shadow with her either. She almost seemed to concede KM’s guilt today! From crying during verdict to this! She was like a different person today. She was genuflecting to the judge and Cappelman. I wonder if KM wanted to deal and state said nope!

Cappelman didn’t have to work hard to get that consecutive sentence! Judge didn’t even bother explaining his sentence! Buh bye!

I also don’t buy Kawass’ explanation for why KM’s family didnt attend the trial! Not one member? Because of the cameras! Puhlease!

Too little too late. Maybe just KM's way of pointing out that the A's aren't very nice people and that she doesn't identify with them and is trying to show she has compassion and can relate with losing access to your children? Yeah right, I feel your pain but I only wanted to help kill your son and not deprive you of your grandkids. Self serving and I'm not going for it.

It seemed to me that Kawass was emotional when speaking again. She needs to learn to not get emotionally involved with her clients, it's not a good look and if I needed an attorney, she would be the last one I would choose. IMO of course.
Yeah I don’t have a lot of respect for Kawass. She lacks professionalism. I understand a defense atty is also an advocate but do it with class! I really dislike female defense attys who get emotional with their clients - touchy-feely, crying, etc. It demonstrates a lack of good boundaries. Your job is to defend them legally to the best of your ability. You don’t have to be an emotional nanny. It feels like Kawass is compensating for something. Perhaps a lack of competence and self-confidence. I would want my defense atty to be a bulldog in the courtroom!

1. CA's attorney Rashbaum actually seemed somewhat likable. If I'm on trial for murder, I want a killer but I also want someone who is likable. If they jury doesn't like your lawyer you're in trouble.
2. CA looked terrible. Pale, thin, balding, weak, dazed, and out of it. Jail life has not been good to him.
3. If KM was truly innocent, you'd think she'd speak and proclaim her innocence loudly until the bitter end. I know I would until they dragged me out of there!

It was--it's super short and basically about scheduling.

It had zero to do with determining her sentence but she was sending a message to the Adelsons. Maybe they stopped paying her bill?
Agree, she was sending a message speaking directly to the camera. I believe the reason she mentioned Wendi was a threat. Everyone knows that Katie has evidence against Charlie and Donna, but maybe she has something that ties Wendi directly to the crime. I think Charlie set up an offshore account to support Katie’s children and that account is most likely not getting funded since Charlie got arrested. JMO

I wonder if part of why Kawass is so emotional is that something in this case makes HER vulnerable. Perhaps some ethical issues relating to a payment scheme? Something else where she crossed a line that could jeopardize her own professional future? And maybe guilt about how such actions impacted her client? Just guessing obviously, but it did seem pretty personal.

Kawass is all over the place! She didn’t have her shadow with her either. She almost seemed to concede KM’s guilt today! From crying during verdict to this! She was like a different person today. She was genuflecting to the judge and Cappelman. I wonder if KM wanted to deal and state said nope!

Cappelman didn’t have to work hard to get that consecutive sentence! Judge didn’t even bother explaining his sentence! Buh bye!

I also don’t buy Kawass’ explanation for why KM’s family didnt attend the trial! Not one member? Because of the cameras! Puhlease!

Yeah, that overly dramatic explanation about why Katie's family was not there didn't make sense at all -- and she didn't even need to address it. It's not like we didn't just watch the trial where certain people's identities were protected and shielded. I thought she was going to say it was because they had to be working so hard to pay her bills but she didn't even try with that.

I wonder if part of why Kawass is so emotional is that something in this case makes HER vulnerable. Perhaps some ethical issues relating to a payment scheme? Something else where she crossed a line that could jeopardize her own professional future? And maybe guilt about how such actions impacted her client? Just guessing obviously, but it did seem pretty personal.
She sure seems to be trying way too hard for some reason.

Agree, she was sending a message speaking directly to the camera. I believe the reason she mentioned Wendi was a threat. Everyone knows that Katie has evidence against Charlie and Donna, but maybe she has something that ties Wendi directly to the crime. I think Charlie set up an offshore account to support Katie’s children and that account is most likely not getting funded since Charlie got arrested. JMO

I think you're right in that something has ticked them off and it likely has to do with money. I wonder if the Kawass sisters are getting stiffed too. Note her sister was not present and wasn't she supposed to be at the helm of Katie's appeals?

1. CA's attorney Rashbaum actually seemed somewhat likable. If I'm on trial for murder, I want a killer but I also want someone who is likable. If they jury doesn't like your lawyer you're in trouble.
2. CA looked terrible. Pale, thin, balding, weak, dazed, and out of it. Jail life has not been good to him.
3. If KM was truly innocent, you'd think she'd speak and proclaim her innocence loudly until the bitter end. I know I would until they dragged me out of there!
And that was not even argued by proxy by her attorney!

It sure was gratifying seeing El Maestro looking so addled. Addledson. ;)

Makes me wonder about who came up with that fantasy story about SG and CA working together. I realize they had to defend KM somehow but was it KM's idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3