FL - Dawn Brancheau, Female Trainer Killed at Shamu Stadium

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
what does BBM mean?

Orcas in the wild normally live until they are 26. With tilli, he is still living at the age of 30!

what does BBM mean?

Orcas in the wild normally live until they are 26. With tilli, he is still living at the age of 30!

BBM means bolded by me.

According to the Humane Society:

The maximum estimated life span for male orcas in the wild is 50–60 years. The maximum estimated life span for female orcas in the wild is 70–80 years. In captivity, orcas often die before they reach 20 years of age—almost no males achieve 30, and only a few females have lived past 30.

On average, a male in the wild can expect a life span of 30 years, while a female can expect a life span of 50 years.

Orcas dance in the waters surrounding my home. There is nothing more beautiful and awe inspiring than to watch these creatures in the wild. Leave them in the wild and, if you must watch them, rent a boat and come see me. Problem solved!

And if the female trainer wasn't enough, a dead guy found on his back should have given them a clue.
Why are they still insisting on keeping him?
I realize he is very valuable to them, but aren't three dead people enough? I am not sure that he couldn't be set free, he was born as a wild animal.
Why wouldn't they let him go after this?

Didn't the article say that the guy found on Tilly's back most likely died from hypothermia? Tilly was not implicated in killing the man.

BBM means bolded by me.

According to the Humane Society:

The maximum estimated life span for male orcas in the wild is 50–60 years. The maximum estimated life span for female orcas in the wild is 70–80 years. In captivity, orcas often die before they reach 20 years of age—almost no males achieve 30, and only a few females have lived past 30.

On average, a male in the wild can expect a life span of 30 years, while a female can expect a life span of 50 years.

[FONT=&quot] There are only a select handful of wild orcas that are known to have lived past 40. I think the key word here is "maximum estimated" lifespan because it confuses people. It is like saying the maximum estimated lifespan of an average human is 120 years. Yes it can happen, but rarely does.[/FONT]

We have only been keeping wild orcas in captivity for 45 years....many of which were spent learning how to best care for them. The vast knowledge attained during that time may allow some of the present captive orcas to live much longer than they have previously. JMO

Didn't the article say that the guy found on Tilly's back most likely died from hypothermia? Tilly was not implicated in killing the man.

It has been pointed out a number of times that the man died from hypothermia. Unfortunately some seem to want to ignore that fact and keep blaming his death on the whale.

[FONT=&quot] There are only a select handful of wild orcas that are known to have lived past 40. I think the key word here is "maximum estimated" lifespan because it confuses people. It is like saying the maximum estimated lifespan of an average human is 120 years. Yes it can happen, but rarely does.[/FONT]

We have only been keeping wild orcas in captivity for 45 years....many of which were spent learning how to best care for them. The vast knowledge attained during that time may allow some of the present captive orcas to live much longer than they have previously. JMO

This begs the question -- "What would you prefer, Mr./Ms. Orca... to live for 60 years in captivity, swimming in circles in a cement pond and doing silly tricks for the entertainment of human beings, or taking your chances of living even just a score of years in the ocean, swimming freely 100 miles a day with your pod." If I were a whale (it would be the same if I, as a human, was faced with a similar choice), I would most certainly choose to be free.

In the words of the great American Patrick Henry (if i remember my history correctly) -- "Give me liberty or give me death."

But, having the VERY FEW in comparrison in captivity has taught the world so much about an animal we would not see otherwise.

While the previous poster's invitation to come see them, rent a boat in WA is great, it's not exactly possible for a lot of people.

Bottom line is, SeaWorld has done a ton of good on our Earth and has saved a lot of animals that would have died if it weren't for their efforts. The orca shows are the main draw to get the people there. While there, people learn so much about a ton of different animals they would never get to see or learn about if SeaWorld did not exist.

A couple of pages ago, I listed just a few of SeaWorld's contributions to our Earth.

Sure they make money...but they also spend a ton of money on education and animal recovery/rehab.

I'm sure if we had the chance to ask the trainer who was killed what she thought of SeaWorld and the job she had there, it would be positive.

JMO

It has been pointed out a number of times that the man died from hypothermia. Unfortunately some seem to want to ignore that fact and keep blaming his death on the whale.

Oh for crying out loud. He also had marks on him consistent with the whale biting him. If the whale wouldn't let him get out of the pool then he would eventually die for hypothermia or drowning, would he not?

Orcas dance in the waters surrounding my home. There is nothing more beautiful and awe inspiring than to watch these creatures in the wild. Leave them in the wild and, if you must watch them, rent a boat and come see me. Problem solved!
{BBM}
That sounds gorgeous. You are blessed to be able to enjoy these beautiful creatures in their natural habitat and from your home! The image that you have painted in my mind is absolutely awe inspiring. Thank you. This is how EVERY Orca should be allowed to live.

The man was found on the whale's back.
What do you think would happen if somebody kept you in a cold pool and you couldn't get out?
Jeez.
This clearly is a very dangerous animals that should not be anywhere near people. He just pulled a woman into water and killed her. He was connected to two previous deaths. If this were a dog most people would be outraged and demanded he be put down. Why some try to pretend he is just cute and cuddly is beyond my understanding.

What on Earth does a dead man on a whales back that snuck into his tank on his own accord, who was not trained to interact with an orca have to do with it?

If he had bite marks, the whale bit him. He should not have been in there.

In this trainer's case, she was not in with him but maybe got a little too close. SeaWorld stated no one was supposed to be in the tank with the whale. She was not. But, her pony tail got too close. It was an accident. I feel for the trainer and her family.

What on Earth does a dead man on a whales back that snuck into his tank on his own accord, who was not trained to interact with an orca have to do with it?

If he had bite marks, the whale bit him. He should not have been in there.

In this trainer's case, she was not in with him but maybe got a little too close. SeaWorld stated no one was supposed to be in the tank with the whale. She was not. But, her pony tail got too close. It was an accident. I feel for the trainer and her family.

If somebody grabs you by the ponytail, drags you into the pool and kills you, that's an accident? Really?

If somebody grabs you by the ponytail, drags you into the pool and kills you, that's an accident? Really?

You totally missed my point.

The whale is known to be aggresive, no one was supposed to be in the tank.
No one was in the tank. Her ponytail hit his face and he grabbed it.
IMO it was an accident made by the trainer.

The whales actions were not an accident, everybody knew how he is including the trainer.

But, having the VERY FEW in comparrison in captivity has taught the world so much about an animal we would not see otherwise.

While the previous poster's invitation to come see them, rent a boat in WA is great, it's not exactly possible for a lot of people.

Bottom line is, SeaWorld has done a ton of good on our Earth and has saved a lot of animals that would have died if it weren't for their efforts. The orca shows are the main draw to get the people there. While there, people learn so much about a ton of different animals they would never get to see or learn about if SeaWorld did not exist.

A couple of pages ago, I listed just a few of SeaWorld's contributions to our Earth.

Sure they make money...but they also spend a ton of money on education and animal recovery/rehab.

I'm sure if we had the chance to ask the trainer who was killed what she thought of SeaWorld and the job she had there, it would be positive.

JMO

That's fine that SeaWorld has contributed to our Earth in so many ways, it's much appreciated, but they need to stop capturing and breeding these animals for the entertainment of humans now. They have "learned" enough. They don't belong in concrete tanks. They can still contribute to our Earth without holding these beautiful creatures captive. They should take some of their money and contribute to our Earth by creating a sanctuary for these animals so that they can live out their lives in their natural habitat but still be under the watchful eye of caring conservation experts.

If getting on a boat to view these animals isn't an option for you, turn on the Discovery Channel or open a book. Why do average citizens feel that their need to see these animals up close and personal is so much more important than the health and overall happiness of the animals?

If we were to keep in line with this way of thinking, "that they've contributed in so many ways, what's the big deal if they abuse a few animals", it would be the same as saying that a teacher contributes to our children and their future by teaching them and preparing them for the world beyond. But if that same teacher kidnaps a few children and holds them hostage for the entertainment of paying customers, it's ok because they are helping the other children, ykim?

It's time to let these creatures live peaceful, stable and more happy lives, in their natural habitat. We have "learned" enough about them from within the confines of a concrete tank. IMO.

That's fine that SeaWorld has contributed to our Earth in so many ways, it's much appreciated, but they need to stop capturing and breeding these animals for the entertainment of humans now. They have "learned" enough. They don't belong in concrete tanks. They can still contribute to our Earth without holding these beautiful creatures captive. They should take some of their money and contribute to our Earth by creating a sanctuary for these animals so that they can live out their lives in their natural habitat but still be under the watchful eye of caring conservation experts.

If getting on a boat to view these animals isn't an option for you, turn on the Discovery Channel or open a book. Why do average citizens feel that their need to see these animals up close and personal is so much more important than the health and overall happiness of the animals?

If we were to keep in line with this way of thinking, "that they've contributed in so many ways, what's the big deal if they abuse a few animals", it would be the same as saying that a teacher contributes to our children and their future by teaching them and preparing them for the world beyond. But if that same teacher kidnaps a few children and holds them hostage for the entertainment of paying customers, it's ok because they are helping the other children, ykim?

It's time to let these creatures live peaceful, stable and more happy lives, in their natural habitat. We have "learned" enough about them from within the confines of a concrete tank. IMO.

BBM

That is NOT what I said. I don't think they are abused. JMO
As far as the teacher thing...IMO that is so off base as to anything I have said I don't know how to respond.

You totally missed my point.

The whale is known to be aggresive, no one was supposed to be in the tank.
No one was in the tank. Her ponytail hit his face and he grabbed it.
IMO it was an accident made by the trainer.

The whales actions were not an accident, everybody knew how he is including the trainer.

Why was he participating in shows if no one was supposed to be in the tank with him?
She was doing it out in the open, and I sincerely doubt Sea World didn't know that she was getting in the tank with him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico
Back