GUILTY FL - Denise Lee, 21, raped & murdered, North Port, 17 Jan 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I may have mentioned this before......but for me, it is painful to see that the Defense Attorney for Scott Huss, murderer of his wife Yana, is the now also the attorney handling the Wrongful Death lawsuit against the Sheriff's Office - unless it means that Tom Marrryott will be able to see life through the victim's eyes now.

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49683

I am sorry! Welcome to WS, Earth! On Fox channel, On The Record with Greta Van Susteren. You can probably catch a rerun of her show this a.m. (as in after midnight). :)

I missed the show SS. Was this the 911 call that Denise made? It it was, it must have been so HEARTWRENCHING to hear it!

I get so MAD when I think of those 911 calls and how they were bungled by inept dispatcher(s).

RIP Denise

I hope they never release Denise's 911 call. I dont feel it is appropriate, and I know it would just rip our hearts out even more than they already are. :(

I hope they never release Denise's 911 call. I dont feel it is appropriate, and I know it would just rip our hearts out even more than they already are. :(

It will eventually be heard, Sweetie - let's just hope that the only listeners will be The Jury as it seals this Monster's fate. :blowkiss:

For our local members - there will be a Crime Victims Memorial Service next week.......there is strength in numbers.....and an outlet for emotions.

http://www.sun-herald.com/Newsstory.cfm?pubdate=041608&story=tp7ch1.htm&folder=NewsArchive2

PORT CHARLOTTE -- A bare wreath beneath a theater spotlight gradually bloomed Tuesday night. Each time the speaker read another name, a red, pink or white rose was added to the brown circle of twigs. By the end, 101 names had been read -- and roses placed -- for 101 local murder victims.

The theater was about half full. Two sets of babies babbled as if to each other from opposite ends of the auditorium -- the two sons of Denise Lee, 21, who was murdered on Jan. 17, 2008, and the three little brothers of Cheyenne Eairheart, 4, who was murdered on Dec. 20, 2006. :blowkiss:

Rick Goff, the father of Denise Lee, said the ceremony was a chance for his family to honor the memory of their loved one. He attended with his wife, Susan Goff, son-in-law, Nathan Lee, and grandsons, Noah, 2, and Adam, 8 months.

"I cried when she was born. I cried the day I dropped her off at school. I cry every day now," he said. "It's day by day. Some days are better than others. I have no good days.

"I just want to remember her for the special person she was," he said. "I just remember everything about her."

http://www.sun-herald.com/Newsstory.cfm?pubdate=041608&story=tp7ch1.htm&folder=NewsArchive2

PORT CHARLOTTE -- A bare wreath beneath a theater spotlight gradually bloomed Tuesday night. Each time the speaker read another name, a red, pink or white rose was added to the brown circle of twigs. By the end, 101 names had been read -- and roses placed -- for 101 local murder victims.

The theater was about half full. Two sets of babies babbled as if to each other from opposite ends of the auditorium -- the two sons of Denise Lee, 21, who was murdered on Jan. 17, 2008, and the three little brothers of Cheyenne Eairheart, 4, who was murdered on Dec. 20, 2006. :blowkiss:

Rick Goff, the father of Denise Lee, said the ceremony was a chance for his family to honor the memory of their loved one. He attended with his wife, Susan Goff, son-in-law, Nathan Lee, and grandsons, Noah, 2, and Adam, 8 months.

"I cried when she was born. I cried the day I dropped her off at school. I cry every day now," he said. "It's day by day. Some days are better than others. I have no good days.

"I just want to remember her for the special person she was," he said. "I just remember everything about her."

Video Link:

http://www.fox4now.com/global/video...chPageAdTag=homepage&clipFormat=&rnd=31581666

What a touching statement from her father. God bless her parent, husband, and those beautiful baby boys. She was so smart and a hero in my eyes to leave evidense. She put up a struggle. God bless her soul and may she rest in peace. :blowkiss:

This is from snn today {I will not post the picture that came with the article} I dont think they should even print his picture in the paper. this pure evil psycho monster does not need to invade our minds any more than he already has. :behindbar

Suspect's statements public record, judge rules

var ArticleTools_Title ='Suspect%27s%20statements%20public%20record%2C%20judge%20rules'; var orderPhotoLink; orderPhotoLink = "http://photos.heraldtribune.com/cgi-bin/fotobroker.cgi?c=buy.htm&op_special_instructions=contains&b=photo_db&special_instructions=285305094" imageCount++; //this will count the extra images -- if there are more than one, we'll load the multimedia box
Published Wednesday, April 16, 2008 at 11:45 a.m.

SARASOTA COUNTY — Statements Michael King made to police and civilians after his arrest are public records and should be released to the media, a circuit judge ruled today.
Attorneys for King, accused of abducting and killing Denise Lee in January, had argued the records are not public since they reveal the substance of a confession of a person arrested.
“Everything the court has been provided ... is not a public record because it does speak of participation,” Assistant Public Defender John Scotese said. “There are statements of participation in the sense of being present at certain locations.”
But Circuit Judge Deno Economou reviewed the records and said today that the records do not contain admissions and should be released on Friday, if King’s attorneys do not appeal before then.
King, 36, appeared in court today for the first time since his arrest, dressed in a yellow prison jumpsuit and sporting a shaggy beard and haircut that looked as if he had not seen scissors since January. He did not say anything and stared straight ahead from his seat behind the defense desk for the entire hearing.
Assistant State Attorney Lon Arend said he did not interpret any of the statements King made in these records as admissions.
Lee, 21, was reported missing from her North Port home the afternoon of Jan. 17.
Her body was found two days later in a shallow grave six miles from her home. She left behind a husband and two young boys.
A lab has matched King’s DNA to DNA found in Lee’s body, according to court documents filed by the prosecution.
While it is still not clear what statements might have been recorded, King’s cousin, Harold Muxlow, visited him in custody just hours after King was arrested and has said that he talked to him about Lee.
Muxlow said King insisted that he was driving in North Port on the day of Lee's kidnapping and stopped to help a driver, who pulled a gun on him.
King maintained his innocence, saying another man had abducted both King and Lee at gunpoint, Muxlow said.
Circuit Judge Deno Economou previously has denied defense motions for a 60-day delay in releasing public records.
Prosecutors intend to seek the death penalty against King on the murder charge, and have also filed kidnapping and sexual battery charges against King.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080418/VIDEO01/804180735//

video {above} I hope I linked it right.
A catharsis in legislation

var ArticleTools_Title ='A%20catharsis%20in%20legislation'; var orderPhotoLink; imageCount++; //this will count the extra images -- if there are more than one, we'll load the multimedia box
By Carol E. Lee
Published Friday, April 18, 2008 at 4:30 a.m.

TALLAHASSEE — The family of Denise Lee boarded a six-person plane at Venice airport Thursday morning and flew to the state Capitol. It was exactly three months after the 21-year-old mother of two had been kidnapped, raped, murdered and buried in a shallow, dirt grave near her North Port home.
"One day we want to be able to explain to our grandchildren and Nate's children that their momma -- that it wasn't all in vain," Denise Lee''s father, Charlotte County sheriff's Sgt. Rick Goff, said after testifying at a Senate committee meeting.
"She fought for her life and she wanted to be saved."
Goff, his daughter's husband, Nathan, her mother, Susan, and her little brother, Tyler, were in Tallahassee to lobby for a bill that state lawmakers now plan to name after Denise Lee..
Their journey is one-half of a familiar exchange. Families who have weathered tragedy increasingly find catharsis promoting legislation they believe will spare someone else their pain. Legislators, in turn, can replace dry government jargon with emotional, real-life stories that help bills get passed into law.
In Florida alone, the number of bills in the Legislature named in commemoration of a loved one has nearly tripled over the past 10 years, to about three dozen. Not all of them pass. But when grief and politics intersect, legislation tends to move faster, garner broad support and get the attention of lawmakers who see thousands of bills in a 60-day session.
"When you hear that person tell that story, you feel the difference in the room," said former Sen. Nancy Argenziano, who sponsored Jessica's Law in 2005.
The legislation strengthened Florida's sex offender laws after the murder of a 9-year-old Homosassa girl.
"There's nothing that puts a fathead legislator in their place more than when they hear something like that from a regular person who lives in the real world," Argenziano continued. "By naming it, you make the family feel that at least their child wasn't lost in vain ... and also you expedite the political process."
The Goff and Lee families believe a mishandled 911 call to the Charlotte County dispatch center cost Denise Lee her life.
They want lawmakers to adopt legislation that would create statewide standards for the training and certification of 911 operators. Their lobbying over the past 10 days has given a routine bill a sudden rush of attention.
"People expect every 911 operator to have the same training, and they just don't," said Sen. Dave Aronberg, a Democrat who represents part of Charlotte County and is sponsoring the legislation.
The Senate committee unanimously passed the bill Thursday. It will likely be introduced in both chambers of the Legislature before May 2 and is among several other bills advocated on behalf of lost loved ones this year.
Lawmakers are working on a bill to require driver education for minors that is named after Tyler Isenhour, a Manatee County student who died in a car accident shortly after receiving his license.
The House passed dating violence legislation that is named after an Ocala girl who was murdered by her ex-boyfriend. And the Amber May White Act, which would regulate the parasailing industry, has gained traction since it was renamed after the teenage girl whose death prompted it.
"Naming the bill after the victim provides a means for the public and policymakers to immediately connect the bill to an issue, a sort of shorthand for the issues the bill tries to address," said Susan Smith Howley, the director of public policy for the National Center for Victims of Crime.
>Denise Lee was abducted from her North Port home on the afternoon of Jan. 17 while tending to her 6-month-old and 2-year-old sons.
Screaming and banging on the back window of her abductor's Chevrolet Camaro, Lee got the attention of a woman at a stoplight. The woman called Charlotte County's 911. But the call was never conveyed to police just blocks away searching for Lee.
Within hours, Lee was dead. Her body was found two days later less than three miles from where the 911 caller saw her screaming for help.
As her father, Goff, stood at a podium in the Senate office building and retold the story, Lee's husband, Nathan, seated in the front row, fiddled with his wedding ring and wiped tears from his eyes.
"What happened to Denise is not something that people should go through," Nathan Lee said in an interview. "If Rick and I and our family have the ability to help bring light to the issue and maybe fix some problems and make things better than what they are, then that's what I am committed to doing."
Channeling the pain and anger of losing a loved one into a cause is often the best survivors can do to find a sense of justice in it all, said Connie Ankney, head of Southwest Florida's chapter of the National Organization of Parents of Murdered Children.
"It's a healing process," said Ankney, who lobbied for change after her son and daughter-in-law were murdered in Charlotte County in 1997.
But passing bills when emotions are high does not always result in the best public policy, said Rep. Keith Fitzgerald, D-Sarasota.
"When a bill is hard to criticize because of the emotional impact, it doesn't often get the most careful scrutiny," said Fitzgerald, a political science professor at New College.
And sometimes a rush to pass emotionally charged legislation can leave unanticipated loopholes.
Jessica's Law, which required increased background checks on school employees, was revised the year after it passed because a lack of clarity led to schools banning some workers with decades-old convictions for minor drug or alcohol charges.
Argenziano, the law's sponsor, said it was better to have stronger standards adopted quickly than to wait another year for the perfect bill.
>Denise Lee''s family shares a similar sentiment about the 911 bill. They want the state to require all 67 counties to adopt the training and certification standards.
But it would cost money, and the state has little of that. So for now, a state law to create a training program for dispatchers, even if it is not required, would offer the Lee and Goff families some solace.
"Unfortunately, we wish we could have all those things put in there right now, but it's got to be a step-by-step process," Nathan Lee said. "We're trying to make as much positive out of this as we can."

var catArray = []; var haveInternalLinks = false; var haveImages = imageCount > 1 ? true : false; //basically this will only care about the various categories attached to this story -- if there are any, we'll loop through them //and see if there are any we're interested in. catArray.push("VIDEO");catArray.push("VIDEO");catArray.push("VIDEO"); for(var i = 0; i < catArray.length; i++){ var item = catArray; item = item.toLowerCase(); if( (item.indexOf("video") != -1) || (item.indexOf("podcast") != -1) || (item.indexOf("photos") != -1) || (item.indexOf("map") != -1) || (item.indexOf("multimedia") != -1) || (item.indexOf("graphic") != -1) ){ haveInternalLinks = true; break; } }

http://www.sun-herald.com/breakingnews.cfm?id=5745

TALLAHASSEE — The name of kidnap-murder victim Denise Amber Lee will likely be memorialized as the title of a pending Florida law that would create a statewide certification program for 911 dispatchers.

Sen. David Aronberg, D-Greenacres, won a 6-0 endorsement by the Senate Committee on Governmental Operations Thursday afternoon. Aronberg opened his presentation by noting that he had discussed naming SB 1694 after Lee with members of the slain North Port woman's family. However, Aronberg added that he would introduce the name change as an amendment when the bill finally reaches the Senate floor.

Aronberg did introduce one substantive change — an amendment that would "grandfather" dispatchers of at least five years experience from the 208 hours of instruction required by the new standard. :confused:

The bill charges the state Department of Health to come up with a set of training standards. Participation by local governments would be voluntary — at least for now. "Since this is a tight budget year, we can't mandate it yet," Aronberg said. :waitasec:

Otherwise, both SB 1694 and its house companion, HB 997, sponsored by Rep. Carl Domino, R-Jupiter, appear to be on a clear track to becoming state law. The House version recently acquired Rep. Mike Grant, R-Port Charlotte, as a co-sponsor and is now in the House Policy & Budget Council as its final stop before it goes to a floor vote.

Both Aronberg and Domino had planned their bills before Lee's Jan. 17 abduction and slaying. "We didn't do it as a response to this tragedy. But the bill has taken on an added significance in light of the Denise Amber Lee tragedy," Aronberg told Senate colleagues.

Lee's husband and father returned to the Capitol for the second time in as many weeks Thursday to hear legislators discuss the dispatcher bill in committee. Once again, Nathan Lee sat silent in the audience while Charlotte County Sheriff's Sgt. Rick Goff briefly recounted his 21-year-old daughter's death.

And as before, Goff maintained that had dispatchers in his own department been more alert, his daughter might have been rescued by any one of four police units within a mile of a motorist's report of a Chevrolet Camaro driving along U.S. 41 near Toledo Blade Boulevard carrying a person who was screaming and in obvious distress. The witness, Janet Kowalski, reported that she thought the victim was a child.

"I'm really dedicated the department," said the 25-year law enforcement veteran. "And I hate to have to be here to speak against — but if that 911 call had been answered correctly and dispatched correctly, my daughter would be here with her family today, taking care of her babies."

Lee's body wasn't found until Jan. 19, buried in a shallow grave in a field between Interstate 75 and Toledo Blade. Michael Lee King, 36, was already in custody, and was later charged with murder, kidnapping and sexual assault.

Goff said that his review of the subsequent departmental investigation leads him to believe it was almost certainly his daughter. Goff also told the senators that background noises on the tape of the 911 call — shouting, laughing — suggested a lack of discipline at the call center. :furious: Sheriff John Davenport disciplined two dispatchers in February with short suspensions. :furious:

Following Thursday's meeting, Goff said he was impressed by the insightful questions asked by the senators and the fact that they seemed to want a bill even more stringent than what Aronberg is proposing. In fact, two of the Governmental Operations committee members are retired sheriffs. :clap:

http://www.sun-herald.com/breakingnews.cfm?id=5752

"The newly released information includes statements made by King's cellmate at the Sarasota County Jail. King maintained in jail he had been kidnapped, but the cellmate said "there was something odd" about King.

King allegedly told the man he was framed by police, and also said King agreed to give the man his motorcycle and a cell phone with phone numbers of young girls.

King also claimed to his cellmate that he hd a fight with a detective at the North Port Police Department.

The documents include a report by FHP Trooper Pope who first apprehended King on I-75. Pope's report said King refused to exit his car, even after being ordered to do so three times. King only started to get out of the car after Pope said he would have to shoot into the car."

Witness in King case failed lie detector test

var ArticleTools_Title ='Witness%20in%20King%20case%20failed%20lie%20detector%20test'; var orderPhotoLink; imageCount++; //this will count the extra images -- if there are more than one, we'll load the multimedia box
Scott Carroll
Published Friday, April 18, 2008 at 3:32 p.m.

Denise Amber Lee screamed “Call the cops!” as she wrestled to get away from Michael King outside his green Camaro just hours before she was killed. But the person she was pleading to for help, King’s cousin, Harold Muxlow, didn’t do anything to intervene and later lied to a 911 operator and the police about what he saw, according to police records released today.
Muxlow also reportedly later called his daughter, who had called 911 and told the operator what her father had seen, and tried to get her to change her story.
Muxlow has not been charged for his actions surrounding Lee’s murder, and authorities said they do not intend to pursue charges against him.
According to those records:
King had come by Muxlow’s home at about 6 p.m. on Jan 17 — just about three hours before King was arrested and charged with Lee’s murder. King asked Muxlow for a shovel, gas can and flashlight, which he gave him. But as King was getting back in his car Lee jumped out of the passenger side door and fought with King for about 30 seconds as Muxlow watched from his driveway. When Muxlo asked King what was going on and started walking toward the car, King told him not to worry about it and drove off.
Muxlow then called his daughter, Sabrina Muxlow, and told her what he had seen. Sabrina Muxlow then called 911 and relayed the information to the operator. Harold Muxlow then drove by King’s house but didn’t find anyone home and didn’t find any sign of a stuck lawnmower — which King had said was the reason he needed the items he borrowed. Muxlow then said he tried to call 911 himself on his cell phone but the call wouldn’t go through, so he drove to a nearby convenience store and called police on a pay phone.
During that 911 call Muxlow refused to identify himself or King, saying only he saw a woman who “is where she didn’t want to be.”
A little while later as police were frantically searching for Lee, authorities talked to Harold Muxlow. He told them about the items he loaned to King and said he heard a girl screaming from within King’s car, but never mentioned the struggle outside the car.
The next morning, as authorities were still searching for Lee, North Port police brought Muxlow to the police station and gave hima lie detector test, which he failed.
Asked again what he had seen, Muxlow then admitted that he had been lying to police. He then described seeing Lee fighting with King outside King’s car. When Muxlow asked King about the fight, “Mr. Muxlow said that Michael King told him not to worry about it, so he did nothing and let his cousin drive away.”
Muxlow also called his daughter several times and yelled at her for “making me look bad.” Sabrina Muxlow’s biological mother told police that Harold Muxlow “was trying to get his daughter to lie for him.”

King told authorities, "I was a victim too," according to the documents. Investigators then drove King around as he claimed to retrace his movements. He said he was blindfolded and shoved in a trunk, and could barely hear a woman's voice through earplugs
I am sure This fat *advertiser censored* wouldn't even fit in a trunk. He claims he couldn't hear anything, yet he says he could hear the man who supposedly kidnapped him talking on 2 cell phones? Denise amber lee called from his car pleading for her life- I hope we never have to hear that call. I do hope the jury does though. when they found King he had his cell phone but the battery was taken out of it.??? why would he do that if he was supposedly innocent? Why would he go to his cousin's house asking for gasoline and a shovel and a flashlight? his own cousin witnessed her in the car trying to get out. this piece of S@$#$%% needs to be sent to the death penalty A.S.A.P.!!!{even that wouldn't be enough} I hope he gets tortured beyond belief in prison. :bang: :furious:

Witness in King case failed lie detector test

var ArticleTools_Title ='Witness%20in%20King%20case%20failed%20lie%20detector%20test'; var orderPhotoLink; imageCount++; //this will count the extra images -- if there are more than one, we'll load the multimedia box
Scott Carroll
Published Friday, April 18, 2008 at 3:32 p.m.

Denise Amber Lee screamed “Call the cops!” as she wrestled to get away from Michael King outside his green Camaro just hours before she was killed. But the person she was pleading to for help, King’s cousin, Harold Muxlow, didn’t do anything to intervene and later lied to a 911 operator and the police about what he saw, according to police records released today.
Muxlow also reportedly later called his daughter, who had called 911 and told the operator what her father had seen, and tried to get her to change her story.
Muxlow has not been charged for his actions surrounding Lee’s murder, and authorities said they do not intend to pursue charges against him.
According to those records:
King had come by Muxlow’s home at about 6 p.m. on Jan 17 — just about three hours before King was arrested and charged with Lee’s murder. King asked Muxlow for a shovel, gas can and flashlight, which he gave him. But as King was getting back in his car Lee jumped out of the passenger side door and fought with King for about 30 seconds as Muxlow watched from his driveway. When Muxlo asked King what was going on and started walking toward the car, King told him not to worry about it and drove off.
Muxlow then called his daughter, Sabrina Muxlow, and told her what he had seen. Sabrina Muxlow then called 911 and relayed the information to the operator. Harold Muxlow then drove by King’s house but didn’t find anyone home and didn’t find any sign of a stuck lawnmower — which King had said was the reason he needed the items he borrowed. Muxlow then said he tried to call 911 himself on his cell phone but the call wouldn’t go through, so he drove to a nearby convenience store and called police on a pay phone.
During that 911 call Muxlow refused to identify himself or King, saying only he saw a woman who “is where she didn’t want to be.”
A little while later as police were frantically searching for Lee, authorities talked to Harold Muxlow. He told them about the items he loaned to King and said he heard a girl screaming from within King’s car, but never mentioned the struggle outside the car.
The next morning, as authorities were still searching for Lee, North Port police brought Muxlow to the police station and gave hima lie detector test, which he failed.
Asked again what he had seen, Muxlow then admitted that he had been lying to police. He then described seeing Lee fighting with King outside King’s car. When Muxlow asked King about the fight, “Mr. Muxlow said that Michael King told him not to worry about it, so he did nothing and let his cousin drive away.”
Muxlow also called his daughter several times and yelled at her for “making me look bad.” Sabrina Muxlow’s biological mother told police that Harold Muxlow “was trying to get his daughter to lie for him.”

Muxlow needs to go to jail- How could they NOT charge him at all? Where is the justice? I bet the Lee family is FURIOUS- Especially with her dad being in LE- WTF- Isnt it at least aiding and abetting? Trying to get his daughter to lie? IIRC, he originally said he saw nothing, but thought he heard something from the trunk? Sorry, but if I heard anything odd from ANY car, I would call 911 in a quick second. Also- arent cell phones set up to call 911 even if your service is off? I think that is one of the safe gaurds to them for ER purposes.

RiverRat, thank you so much for keeping us updated! :blowkiss:

Right now I am seeing so :furious: I don't think I can meet the WS standards of decency without being kicked off.

So, I am just going to bite an antler and prance off and come back later when I have cooled off.

Keeping the Lee Family in my prayers and thoughts. I am just so PROUD that they have the strength to carry on and fight for a legislative bill that might help prevent another Mother, Daughter, Sister, Aunt, Friend, etc. from losing their life due to the lack of a 911 system that didn't work because..............(biting antler)

Again, thanks RiverRat.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agirlnamedbob
Back