GUILTY FL - Denise Lee, 21, raped & murdered, North Port, 17 Jan 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hurts So Good....

Guilty of basically all counts, the emotions flowing from her family brings me to my knees.

Wow, that ws fast. Good for this jury. They sometimes get it right.

Woman's frantic 911 call helps convict her killer

A Florida plumber was found guilty Friday of kidnapping and murdering a police detective's daughter at a trial in which his victim's voice filled the courtroom as her desperate 911 call was played to the jury.

Denise Lee's frantic 911 call was the centerpiece of her killer's trial.

1 of 3 Jurors deliberated just two hours before finding Michael L. King, 38, guilty of first-degree murder, kidnapping and sexual battery in the January 17, 2008 abduction and slaying of Denise Amber Lee, a 21-year-old mother of two.

Lee's family, including her father, Charlotte County Sheriff's Det. Rick Goff, cried as the verdict was announced; King showed no reaction.

The jury must next decide whether King, who was a stranger to Lee, should be executed for his crimes.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08/28/florida.murder.kidnap.911/index.html

I tried from the beginning to get across just how huge of a travesty this murder was, but it's too local for me and I have had to touch this one lightly for various personal reasons. Thanks to the live coverage of this trial, more and more are now educated, outaged, heartbroke, and nervous about placing their faith in the 911 system. Sadly enough, I've seen this time and time again...it takes an act this dramatic to bring about change for the better, which is wonderful for those of us that are left to benefit from the changes in the law that WILL come as a direct result of losing Denise...the dynamics of every angle of this horrific case has been quite another Lesson in Life and knowing that a Slam-Dunk is right around the corner makes it a little easier to take this in.

To all that have been touched since the start or the newly found....:blowkiss:

I quit following trials for awhile because it became too uncomfortable for me. I came across this case and thought I couldn't watch, couldn't listen to the pleas this beautiful young girl made for her life or listen to the heinous nature of what this monster put her through. But I also feel that if we all felt this way and just look the other way it gives more power to these criminals. Without the voice of community there can't be change. There were just so many chances to save Denise that it's a total outrage, there are just no excuses.

I have been extemely touched and will follow thru to the penalty portion of this trial and pray he gets just what he deserves--the ultimate penalty!!!

I just now listened to the tape of her pleas and what kind of idiots do they have working the 911 phones in Florida. The woman is pleading for her life and this dummy is asking for her last name 700 time. OMG. I hope her husband files a huge lawsuit on this place. The killer got caught and convicted but they could have caught him sooner if the other caller hadn't been ignored and the operator talking to her listened and tried to get info that way. Oh and can your abducter turn the radio down so I can hear you!!!! I am just so angry with that phone call.

I listened to the 911 operator speak on InSession this afternoon and the 911 operator that Denise connected with did everything possible to try an locate where Denise was during the call.

The 911 operator stated they knew the call was hitting off the North Port tower, but they couldn't pinpoint exactly which tower Denise was near at that time especially when the car is moving as the pings can jump off a different tower if one tower was busy at that time.

This is why the 911 operator asked if Denise was on I-75. Of course Denise didn't know where she was as she was blindfolded, and the 911 operator had no idea that Denise was blindfolded unless she asked Denise. This would be one of the reasons the 911 operator was also asking if she could turn down the radio.

This 911 operator was able to track the phone number and owner which was a good thing. Asking Denise over and over again for her name was because they needed to know who this person was in the car and hopefully try and pin together if a person had been abducted earlier.

Since Denise was blindfolded and the radio blasting, it probably was extremely difficult for Denise to hear the 911 operator at that time especially when King wanted to know where his phone was.

As we listen to this 911 operator, we can hear what the operator was saying, but it was clear that Denise couldn't hear the operator. Once this 911 operator realized the urgency of this 911 call, she had her supervisor with her as she proceeded with the call.

Where things went totally wrong is when Jane Kowalski called and this 911 call was never transferred or turned over to where it needed to go. This is where the 911 system failed Denise.

We had another case somewhat like this here whre the woman was calling from the car trunk and 911 didnt put the calls through... they foudn her shot to death in a vacant house a few days later. Her ex husband or boyfriend had kidnapped her .

In Florida do not expect a lot if you call 911. There was a fire outside my hosue (big transformer got hit by lightning) and the Fire Dept ACROSS THE STREET drove by it i dont know how many times and all the 911 lady woudl ask me is how big the fire was or how much larger it was getting. It took 20 mins for a fire truck to drive maybe 500 yards beucase the 911 dispacher was an idiot.

This is great, albeit expected, news. May the verdict bring her family some peace.

I just now listened to the tape of her pleas and what kind of idiots do they have working the 911 phones in Florida. The woman is pleading for her life and this dummy is asking for her last name 700 time. OMG. I hope her husband files a huge lawsuit on this place. The killer got caught and convicted but they could have caught him sooner if the other caller hadn't been ignored and the operator talking to her listened and tried to get info that way. Oh and can your abducter turn the radio down so I can hear you!!!! I am just so angry with that phone call.

BBM

I agree! I was yelling at the TV also when I heard the 911 operator say that!! This was at the end of the call so she should have known at that point that the "abducter" didn't know that she was making the call. I can only pray that if I ever have to call "911" that I will get someone with a brain!!!!:mad:

Yes! Justice has been served!!
But we still have lots to do! 911 failed miserably in this case, and many many others from all over the united states. This tragedy made me really question how often does 911 fail? I found story after story about problems and cases with 911. It could happen to anyone of us at any time? if we needed to call 911 we need to know that they are well equipped to take the call.
I have learned that it isn't always just bad operators it is the skills they didn't receive, technology, etc... we have the power and the resources to be able to make these changes. we just all need more people to realize how important this is. If you visit www.deniseamberlee.org and look at the 911 stories you will see many tragedies. we need to let these victims know they have not died in vain. Okay, I will get off my soapbox now, sorry to ramble. I am very passionate about this and want to make sure 911 doesn't fail.

I am so thrilled with this verdict. Now that needs the DP. To bad they can't do to him what he did to Denise. Her voice will forever ring in my ears. May God Bless this family with some sense of peace.

Yes! Justice has been served!!
But we still have lots to do! 911 failed miserably in this case, and many many others from all over the united states. This tragedy made me really question how often does 911 fail? I found story after story about problems and cases with 911. It could happen to anyone of us at any time? if we needed to call 911 we need to know that they are well equipped to take the call.
I have learned that it isn't always just bad operators it is the skills they didn't receive, technology, etc... we have the power and the resources to be able to make these changes. we just all need more people to realize how important this is. If you visit www.deniseamberlee.org and look at the 911 stories you will see many tragedies. we need to let these victims know they have not died in vain. Okay, I will get off my soapbox now, sorry to ramble. I am very passionate about this and want to make sure 911 doesn't fail.

Thanks for this link!!

I think the aggravating factors far outweigh any mitigation--there's no reason a head injury as a child should get him LWOP! How many of us have had injuries or abuse or whatever.............so sick of the excuses for these criminals!

Death to this monster!!!

He clearly new right from wrong and conducted his life for some 37 yrs without (as far as we know) any crime against women before.

(InSession talking head said this AM he may have been in a seizure--OMG how DUMB do these defense lawyers think we are???)

In an emergency hearing today the defense has a problem with almost the entire victim impact statement of Denise's husband, GMAFB!!!:furious::furious::furious:

also, one sentence from her dad's in reference to her being a nursing mother!:furious:
Judge allows it!!

I think they should be able to say whatever they want, especially Nathan to his children that "mommy is going to heaven as an angel"!!!

Don't know yet what the judge is ruling on Nathan Lee's statement.

Well, just chalk up another one for criminals. I am so sick and tired of victims and families getting the shaft. This whinning, moaning and groaning will get the DP I have great faith in this jury. I don't care about his head injury. Boohoo. He knew exactly what he was doing. The only problem for me with the DP is it will take forever for it to come to pass and it will be to humane, something Denise never had. Denise never had any options.
I think these subhumans should be placed on a rocky island with no vegitation at all so far out at sea that there would be no way to escape and then they can all just kill each other. They deserve nothing and yet they get everything their whinning hearts desire.

My Rant For Today.

Well, just chalk up another one for criminals. I am so sick and tired of victims and families getting the shaft. This whinning, moaning and groaning will get the DP I have great faith in this jury. I don't care about his head injury. Boohoo. He knew exactly what he was doing. The only problem for me with the DP is it will take forever for it to come to pass and it will be to humane, something Denise never had. Denise never had any options.
I think these subhumans should be placed on a rocky island with no vegitation at all so far out at sea that there would be no way to escape and then they can all just kill each other. They deserve nothing and yet they get everything their whinning hearts desire.

My Rant For Today.
ITA!!!!!!

Oh yeah, and he had a low IQ--borderline mentally challenged my @zz--He owned a home, worked, had a marriage and a child.

He KNEW what he was doing was more than just WRONG since he told Denise during that call that "Now you're gonna get it, I was gonna let you go" when he found out she'd gotten hold of his cell.

He was also "smart" enough to take out the battery.:razz:

They are such LIARS and the jury WILL see thru this monster.

her life wasn't of value YET his is????

I PRAY the jury does the right thing and he gets what's coming to him...........tho nothing compared to what the monster did to Denise!

I missed the opening statements today but heard a little of what the defense said on IS recording.

According to def lawyer:

"He's not the worse of the worst":waitasec:

Were I a juror hearing such a thing i'd be INSULTED!

HE is the reason we need the death penalty. He is a person that God forbid ever got out because what if someday his LWOP was somehow dropped to LWP......OMG! He's the kind of sociopath that all of humanity needs to be sure NEVER hits the streets again!!!

Were I a juror I would not want to take such a gamble!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CurlyClue
Back