FL - Derek Rosa, 13, charged as adult in stabbing death of mother Irina Garcia in her sleep, 13 Oct 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I will NEVER understand how a child of 13years can be charged as an adult in the United States!

It is a difficult subject to grapple with. Now we have these school - shooters or kids stabbing each other, of similar age. And I must say if my child were the victim, I would probably want their murderer charged as an adult and not just walking free within a few years.

On the other hand, if my child or juvenile relative committed the murder, I would probably think they should not be treated as an adult.

An extremely difficult topic.

Moo...he is not a street kid , wish young thugs did have a chance at rehabilitation but when they get out they have little choice but to go back family and environment where they learnt to be the way they are. But he is an honor student, possibly neurodivergent..moo...with family on both sides supporting him. He is 13 with no juvi record. He should be assessed before treating him as adult and condemning him to life in prison....moo

A 13-year-old Florida boy must remain in adult jail, a judge ruled Thursday.

But Miami-Dade County Judge Richard Hersch said Thursday that transferring Rosa from Metro West Detention Center would be illegal. Rosa will be tried as an adult, following a grand jury indictment for first-degree murder for an act prosecutors called "evil" and "premeditated."

A 13-year-old Florida boy must remain in adult jail, a judge ruled Thursday.

But Miami-Dade County Judge Richard Hersch said Thursday that transferring Rosa from Metro West Detention Center would be illegal. Rosa will be tried as an adult, following a grand jury indictment for first-degree murder for an act prosecutors called "evil" and "premeditated."
Okay, I have a serious problem with a 13 year old in an adult jail, whatever the charge.

MOO

an act prosecutors called "evil" and "premeditated."

Is there significant evidence not yet released? How do they know it was premeditated/planned? (ETA: You know what I mean. Planned significantly in advance, not just a few minutes.
Which I know is still premeditation.)
And does that mean they have an idea of possible motive?

Is there significant evidence not yet released? How do they know it was premeditated/planned? (ETA: You know what I mean. Planned significantly in advance, not just a few minutes.
I have the same questions. He’s barely 13, what state of mind was he in that he planned to murder?!

What could have been so awful in his life, this intelligent, “peaceful” child, decides to kill?

It can’t just be hormones of a teen. Lots of angry teens don’t kill their parents.

IDK, but he looks significantly older than 13. Is that even his correct age? He’s very large for his age, and he has very obvious facial hair.
He could easily be mistaken for an 18 y/o.

<modsnip> JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
IDK, but he looks significantly older than 13. Is that even his correct age? He’s very large for his age, and he has very obvious facial hair.
He could easily be mistaken for an 18 y/o.

<modsnip> JMO
There has never been any suggestion he's any other age in articles.

Some kids develop early. I went to high school with a guy who had a full, mature beard by fifteen. He looked older than some of our teachers. I don't know when he started shaving, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was as young as eleven.

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same questions. He’s barely 13, what state of mind was he in that he planned to murder?!

What could have been so awful in his life, this intelligent, “peaceful” child, decides to kill?

It can’t just be hormones of a teen. Lots of angry teens don’t kill their parents.
And some do. AJ Armstrong, for example.

I know it's problematic to keep a 13 yr old under adult restrictions in an adult jail. But it is also problematic that he stabbed his mother to death.

What can they do with him? Should the other kids be subjected to him in a child facility? That could also be very problematic. They are not set up for such violent, wilful 'children.'

Just because he has obvious mental health issues , it does not make him any less dangerous. We know he is very intelligent ,being an honour student. I do think society needs to be protected from him at this point. JMO

I know it's problematic to keep a 13 yr old under adult restrictions in an adult jail. But it is also problematic that he stabbed his mother to death.

What can they do with him? Should the other kids be subjected to him in a child facility? That could also be very problematic. They are not set up for such violent, wilful 'children.'

Just because he has obvious mental health issues , it does not make him any less dangerous. We know he is very intelligent ,being an honour student. I do think society needs to be protected from him at this point. JMO
There will be other children who have killed at a juvenile facility. They will possibly be on some kind of seg (segregation) but they will be there. I in no way think this child should be in the community rather than in custody, but keeping him in an adult jail has major problems. There have been huge scandals in my own country in recent years when juveniles have been housed in adult facilities, and I can't imagine it's any better in the US.

MOO

There will be other children who have killed at a juvenile facility. They will possibly be on some kind of seg (segregation) but they will be there. I in no way think this child should be in the community rather than in custody, but keeping him in an adult jail has major problems. There have been huge scandals in my own country in recent years when juveniles have been housed in adult facilities, and I can't imagine it's any better in the US.

MOO
I don't think he will be around any of the adults while he is so young. Sadly enough there are other kids in adult jail. He will most certainly be segregated with them

I remember a documentary I saw about young teens incarcerated in adult prisons. They are housed together and do things together as a group---like exercise time, meals, etc. JMO

But I hear your concerns and they are valid.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back