GUILTY FL - Dontrell Melvin, 5 mos, Hallandale Beach, July 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I liked the part where the social worker told the mom there was a slight odor in the house, and to mop her kitchen floor with a scented chemical.

All that going on in that house of horrors, and that's the social worker's action - to recommend mopping the kitchen floor with scented cleaner.

Unreal!!!

"oh dear, you might want to get some Pine Sol on that kitchen floor. It will help to cover the odor of the pot, filth and the dirty clothes you put on your neglected children. The ones that we can at least see are still living. Have a good day. See you next time." :waitasec:

I was just checking out the FB page, to see if there were any other wise words of wisdom from this maven of motherhood. And now I am so disgusted, I could cry.

We can't take care of our children, or find the time to make sure they have clean clothes. We all pile into the flop house together, and neglect our children. Don't even have time to worry that one hasn't been seen in MONTHS!!

But we took the time to make stupid pictures for our FB, to tell everyone that we are Sexy and Thick. I don't even know what that means..... But we have a phone, w/internet access! And we spend PLENTY of money on tattoos and piercings! She got her <modsnip> paint job on her nails! Wonder how many loads of laundry you could do with that money. Or new clothes? Or healthy food for your children? Or how much time you could have spent paying attention to them, instead of yourself.

No sugar coating today. That is a disgusting, repulsive, <modsnip>, and if it were up to me, she wouldn't see tomorrow. And neither would that disgusting excuse for a baby daddy.

She's definitely one of the worst moms I've ever seen. As stupid as it may sound I respect a mom who kills her baby and calls 911 to confess about `100 times more than this woman. I guess it's because it was not one ' act' ......it was repeated and on going and with callousness in her heart. Shes' sickening and I hope she gets her just reward. Let us all pray that her other children are not so damaged that they cannot live a happy life now that they're free of her.

I have not posted but have followed this case closely. I too have looked at the FB page for little Dontrell's biological (but certainly not maternal) mother. She totally disgusts me. Although she does mention on of her boys several times in pics, she obviously cares a great deal more about herself and her "relationship" with the "daddy". I HATE to see someone SO self absorbed that she ignores her children and puts them at risk on a daily basis (drugs, alcohol, filth....).

What made me sick again was to see that most of the pictures of herself are taken in what looks like the kid's room, and the kids are in the background often times lying down in their bed or crib. She focuses the camera on herself and not on these beautiful little boys. :cry:

What is WRONG with these *colorful* people?? They can kill an innocent child and move on/ party on with life as if there is "no care in the world"??

I have not posted but have followed this case closely. I too have looked at the FB page for little Dontrell's biological (but certainly not maternal) mother. She totally disgusts me. Although she does mention on of her boys several times in pics, she obviously cares a great deal more about herself and her "relationship" with the "daddy". I HATE to see someone SO self absorbed that she ignores her children and puts them at risk on a daily basis (drugs, alcohol, filth....).

What made me sick again was to see that most of the pictures of herself are taken in what looks like the kid's room, and the kids are in the background often times lying down in their bed or crib. She focuses the camera on herself and not on these beautiful little boys. :cry:

What is WRONG with these *colorful* people?? They can kill an innocent child and move on/ party on with life as if there is "no care in the world"??

I noticed in one of the pics the boy is laying on the bed and trying to look up . I thought that it looked like he had been told DONT MOVE or something and he's trying to behave and stay out of the way of the picture. It was a completely unnatural looking thing,,, not looking at a tv or looking at a book or trying to sleep...... do you know the one I mean ?

In one of the press conferences the police said there were no pics of Dontrell after 2 to 3 months. I wonder if the parents (and who knows who else) started abusing him at that point. From 3 months to 5 months old would have been a 2 month timeframe until his death. I wonder if they stopped feeding him. I guess I just want to know just what exactly happened to this beautiful baby. I wonder if the other children know or can give some clues.

In one of the press conferences the police said there were no pics of Dontrell after 2 to 3 months. I wonder if the parents (and who knows who else) started abusing him at that point. From 3 months to 5 months old would have been a 2 month timeframe until his death. I wonder if they stopped feeding him. I guess I just want to know just what exactly happened to this beautiful baby. I wonder if the other children know or can give some clues.

You know it's possible if they stopped feeding him and that caused his death that that MIGHT be discernible even after all of this time. Right? The bones would not have grown properly or be lacking density or something. I was thinking there would be no way to show COD after a year but malnutrition might give some clues at least. What a horrible way to die :( I think truly the coverup and all the other stuff will be enough to stick mom and dad up river for a long time even if they cannot prove they killed baby.

Omg, omg, omg. :what: why?! This is the 21st century. We in the US can choose not to have children if we don't want them (said with no judgment, as I myself do not have children). And I feel like are so many options, even once you've given birth, if you don't want to or believe you're incapable of caring for your child (I mean correct me if I'm wrong on that of course)...no reason for this bs. :banghead:

There's actually an anti-adoption movement in the US. (http://voices.yahoo.com/the-case-against-adoption-research-alternatives-363093.html?cat=17)

In popular culture, I think of how the teen couple (Catelynn Lowell & Tyler Baltierra) who gave up their baby for adoption on MTV's documentary/reality show 16 & Pregnant and Teen Mom were treated by Catelynn's mom & Tyler's dad (who both have addiction & LE problems). They did not support the couple's choice to place the baby with a couple with the income, maturity, and stability to raise the child (which Catelynn & Tyler couldn't provide as teens and weren't given by their own families). They brought it up & threw it in their faces over & over again that Catelynn especially couldn't handle being a mom, didn't want the baby (so far from the truth- she wanted BETTER for the baby than what she could give her), had given her baby to strangers, etc.

I also think of the movie "Precious," (which is obviously based on fiction) in which the grandmother tells the poor, uneducated teen mom in an abusive home something like "only animals give their babies to other people to raise."

My perception (which could be completely off-base) is that the anti-placing a child for adoption sentiment is much higher among the poor and uneducated/undereducated in our society, although it is obviously not limited to this group (think of how Cindy Anthony - who is middle class- allegedly didn't want Casey placing Caylee for adoption).

There seems to be a cultural movement in the US towards keeping kids even when you don't want them or cannot care for them because there's a perception that placing a child for adoption for is bad, makes you less of a person, etc. I think many Americans, particularly those who aren't raised in the best of circumstances or have access to education (particularly about adoption), are taught by their socio-economic group that placing a child for adoption is selfish & wrong, when in fact it is SELFLESS & the right thing to do if all you are going to do is abuse or neglect the child like Dontrell's family did.

I don't know how we get this stereotype that placing children for adoption is bad or selfish to go away, but perhaps if we did, so many abused & neglected children would be placed for adoption because there wouldn't be a social stigma attached to it by their socio-economic group & family/friends. How many Dontrells would be alive?

And of course, the way to never have to deal with these issues if you don't want kids is to use all the available contraception methods (for men & women) that we are lucky enough to have access to in the US.

There's actually an anti-adoption movement in the US. (http://voices.yahoo.com/the-case-against-adoption-research-alternatives-363093.html?cat=17)

In popular culture, I think of how the teen couple (Catelynn Lowell & Tyler Baltierra) who gave up their baby for adoption on MTV's documentary/reality show 16 & Pregnant and Teen Mom were treated by Catelynn's mom & Tyler's dad (who both have addiction & LE problems). They did not support the couple's choice to place the baby with a couple with the income, maturity, and stability to raise the child (which Catelynn & Tyler couldn't provide as teens and weren't given by their own families). They brought it up & threw it in their faces over & over again that Catelynn especially couldn't handle being a mom, didn't want the baby (so far from the truth- she wanted BETTER for the baby than what she could give her), had given her baby to strangers, etc.

I also think of the movie "Precious," (which is obviously based on fiction) in which the grandmother tells the poor, uneducated teen mom in an abusive home something like "only animals give their babies to other people to raise."

My perception (which could be completely off-base) is that the anti-placing a child for adoption sentiment is much higher among the poor and uneducated/undereducated in our society, although it is obviously not limited to this group (think of how Cindy Anthony - who is middle class- allegedly didn't want Casey placing Caylee for adoption).

There seems to be a cultural movement in the US towards keeping kids even when you don't want them or cannot care for them because there's a perception that placing a child for adoption for is bad, makes you less of a person, etc. I think many Americans, particularly those who aren't raised in the best of circumstances or have access to education (particularly about adoption), are taught by their socio-economic group that placing a child for adoption is selfish & wrong, when in fact it is SELFLESS & the right thing to do if all you are going to do is abuse or neglect the child like Dontrell's family did.

I don't know how we get this stereotype that placing children for adoption is bad or selfish to go away, but perhaps if we did, so many abused & neglected children would be placed for adoption because there wouldn't be a social stigma attached to it by their socio-economic group & family/friends. How many Dontrells would be alive?

And of course, the way to never have to deal with these issues if you don't want kids is to use all the available contraception methods (for men & women) that we are lucky enough to have access to in the US.

Thank you for this post. I agree . I know a girl like Sierra,,,in fact so much so like her that it's weird. But there is a big difference. The one I know did give her baby for adoption. It's one of the very few selfless and responsible acts I can think of in her life.

Do we know for sure when they moved out of grandmothers home? I'm just wondering if the grandmothers older children (like the 10 year old) would be able to clue LE into what may have happened to Dontrell.

...I had no idea. Just, wow. Thank you for explaining though. Wow.

So sad how Dontrell was failed by so many. In reading the documents about how the children lived in filth and even went to school smelling of filth is horrible.

I taught school and had a student who apparently slept in her school uniform, wet the bed, and came to school wearing the same quite smelly uniform day after day. My student were very vocal about not wanting to sit next to her (and I had a severe talk with them while the girl was out of the room about their unkindness and lack of empathy, and yes, I taught them what empathy meant).

Social workers were NO help as they told me that they were aware that the mother was a drug user and the family were being monitored, blah, blah blah. When I brought the filthy child to the school nurse/social worker she very rudely and loudly (the poor child heard) told me "Don't be bringing her in here, stinking up my office."

So I had to buy the child a few new uniforms, wash them at my house and let her wash and dress herself each day at school with soap and baby wipes that I provided. Heartbreaking!! There was nothing else I could do and I was criticized for "interfering".

Unbelievable that this child was not seen for over a year and a half and no one was concerned. It seems like those closest to him (babymama, babydaddy, babymama's mother, other family etc) knew very well what was going on or had suspicions but weren't concerned in the least.

How laughable (not really, actually) that the ONE action taken by the social worker was to recommend using a scented chemical to mop the floor to deal with the obvious stench in the house.

SwampMama, thank you for doing that for your student. You may not realize it, but you surely made a wonderful impact on that child's life. And may have been one of the only adults to ever do so.

&#8220;At the time we found the initial remains they were wrapped in a particular item. I really don't want to give what it was wrapped in, but it was wrapped in a particular item,&#8221; Police Chief Dwayne Flournoy said.
from article linked above....

I sure hope this doesn't imply what it sounds like.....that the body was in separate pieces wrapped up.... How terribly sad... Poor Dontrell....:(

So sad how Dontrell was failed by so many. In reading the documents about how the children lived in filth and even went to school smelling of filth is horrible.

I taught school and had a student who apparently slept in her school uniform, wet the bed, and came to school wearing the same quite smelly uniform day after day. My student were very vocal about not wanting to sit next to her (and I had a severe talk with them while the girl was out of the room about their unkindness and lack of empathy, and yes, I taught them what empathy meant).

Social workers were NO help as they told me that they were aware that the mother was a drug user and the family were being monitored, blah, blah blah. When I brought the filthy child to the school nurse/social worker she very rudely and loudly (the poor child heard) told me "Don't be bringing her in here, stinking up my office."

So I had to buy the child a few new uniforms, wash them at my house and let her wash and dress herself each day at school with soap and baby wipes that I provided. Heartbreaking!! There was nothing else I could do and I was criticized for "interfering".

Unbelievable that this child was not seen for over a year and a half and no one was concerned. It seems like those closest to him (babymama, babydaddy, babymama's mother, other family etc) knew very well what was going on or had suspicions but weren't concerned in the least.

How laughable (not really, actually) that the ONE action taken by the social worker was to recommend using a scented chemical to mop the floor to deal with the obvious stench in the house.

Swampmama I think you're amazing! As someone who had a neglectful upbringing you have no idea how much that would have meant to that little girl

Just looking at the documents from the case and I have a question...is this common for records like this to be released to the public? Or is it just Florida's policy? I have never heard of such a thing before.

I am nervous to read these documents...I'm afraid I'm going to get angry.

SwampMama, thank you for doing that for your student. You may not realize it, but you surely made a wonderful impact on that child's life. And may have been one of the only adults to ever do so.

Swampmama I think you're amazing! As someone who had a neglectful upbringing you have no idea how much that would have meant to that little girl

Thank you both so very much. I was looked down on by some people for my efforts. There were many things I did for my kids "under the table". I always had spare uniforms and new undies in case anyone had an accident to spare them embarrassment. I snuck another child home with me for the weekends while their parent was undergoing chemo. These were all things I had to keep on the "downlow" for fear of being charged with being "too involved" with my kids. One ugly mean teacher said I spoiled my kids and I would do better to make them fear me. Nope, I had fun spoiling them and was raising them up to be thoughtful and caring individuals who could be talked to rather than yelled at.

I loved my students dearly. My class was a safe refuge, full of love and I taught them things like empathy and "the golden rule" by giving them living examples of them everyday. I love being in my class everyday. surrounded but about 30 little happy faces. They cracked me up because they would cheer each day when I showed up on the playground.

This is why cases like Dontrell's and Jhessye Shockley's get to me. In those victims, I see the faces and the lovable personalities of my former students. I know how lovable they are and how much love they have to give. I see the potential and promise that was so cruelly snuffed out. I also thank God that there are people like the members of WS who care for children and victims that they never met, and somehow take them into their hearts and mourn their loss and demand justice for them.

God Bless You Swampmama. Wish there were more like you in the world.

Wish this little guy had had a Swampmama.

I keep trying to read those PDFs and my brain keeps telling me to quit so I guess I better wait a bit before reading them.

Just looking at the documents from the case and I have a question...is this common for records like this to be released to the public? Or is it just Florida's policy? I have never heard of such a thing before.

I am nervous to read these documents...I'm afraid I'm going to get angry.

Fl has a Sunshine Law that a allows them to make info public. Not sure what other states have it. If any. I learned about it in the Caylee case.

Wish all states had it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benjysmom
Back