GUILTY FL - Dontrell Melvin, 5 mos, Hallandale Beach, July 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Child Neglect Charge Dropped Against Father of Dontrell Melvin

But now, Melvin is only facing charges for lying to police.
His child neglect charge has been dropped.

Investigators say Sierra is the one to blame. She is charged with child neglect with bodily harm.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...inst-Father-of-Dontrell-Melvin-192420921.html

Is it not neglect if you are unaware of your child's location for 18 months?
Wow.

Child Neglect Charge Dropped Against Father of Dontrell Melvin

But now, Melvin is only facing charges for lying to police.
His child neglect charge has been dropped.

Investigators say Sierra is the one to blame. She is charged with child neglect with bodily harm.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...inst-Father-of-Dontrell-Melvin-192420921.html

Is it not neglect if you are unaware of your child's location for 18 months?
Wow.

Then they should get him for neglect on the other children he left in her care knowing what she had done before. Wonder why he hasn't been charges with helping her cover it up.

When is an official ID expected? It seems like it is taking forever for word from the authorities confirming an id.

Man accused in missing child case wants charges dropped\

On Wednesday, his defense attorney filed a motion to reduce the three counts of providing false information to a law enforcement officer from third-degree felonies to first-degree misdemeanors, which would have lowered his $151,000 bond.

The judge denied the motion.

Melvin's defense attorney also filed a second motion to dismiss those three charges. The judge scheduled a hearing for March 22 regarding the motion.

snipped

Those remains were sent to the University of Texas, where DNA tests results are expected back in two to three weeks.

http://www.local10.com/news/Man-acc...pped/-/1717324/19105104/-/e0xumq/-/index.html

Calvin Melvin entered court Wednesday hoping his bond would be reduced and he could head home.

snipped

Calvin Melvin’s mom, Annie Melvin, testified in court Wednesday that she does not have the money to post the huge bond her son is facing now.

“Do you have the $151,000 to post bond?” asked the judge. She replied, “I do not.”

At one point, the judge had Melvin’s family stand up to introduce themselves. They were in court to vouch for him. Melvin’s attorney argued that since child abuse charges were reduced to lying to police, the bond should be dropped by $148,000 to just $3,000.

snipped

“Even if the child was murdered, who did that? There’s no evidence to suggest that Calvin did it. There’s nothing in his past to suggest that he’s capable of something like this,” argued Calvin’s defense attorney Ed Hoeg.

Hoeg also asked the judge to dismiss the lying charges because Melvin not only eventually told police the truth but he is the reason officers found the body.

“If he did make any contradictory statements, he came clean, he told the truth, that’s why they have a case,” explained Hoeg.

sipped

“Have you ever been in love? Have you ever been in love? How do you know how long you would go? I don’t know if you can answer that question. If you’re in love and somebody tells you something and you want to protect them, I don’t know.”

- See more at: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/02/2...ndale-boy-back-in-court/#sthash.moazDmE8.dpuf

Calvin Melvin entered court Wednesday hoping his bond would be reduced and he could head home.

snipped

Calvin Melvin’s mom, Annie Melvin, testified in court Wednesday that she does not have the money to post the huge bond her son is facing now.

“Do you have the $151,000 to post bond?” asked the judge. She replied, “I do not.”

At one point, the judge had Melvin’s family stand up to introduce themselves. They were in court to vouch for him. Melvin’s attorney argued that since child abuse charges were reduced to lying to police, the bond should be dropped by $148,000 to just $3,000.

snipped

“Even if the child was murdered, who did that? There’s no evidence to suggest that Calvin did it. There’s nothing in his past to suggest that he’s capable of something like this,” argued Calvin’s defense attorney Ed Hoeg.

Hoeg also asked the judge to dismiss the lying charges because Melvin not only eventually told police the truth but he is the reason officers found the body.

“If he did make any contradictory statements, he came clean, he told the truth, that’s why they have a case,” explained Hoeg.

sipped

“Have you ever been in love? Have you ever been in love? How do you know how long you would go? I don’t know if you can answer that question. If you’re in love and somebody tells you something and you want to protect them, I don’t know.”

- See more at: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/02/2...ndale-boy-back-in-court/#sthash.moazDmE8.dpuf

How about loving your baby ? Too many people ' in love' sit and watch horrors committed on babies ! Being in love doesn't excuse you from all bad behaviors from now on. What about folks who kill their lovers' spouse because they want them out of the picture ? They're in love right? So it should be ok. What a dumb excuse ! That's like saying " i was DRUNK, I coudlnt' tell how fast i was going ' .

Oh my... I had taken a WS break and missed this. I have no words. Well, I have lots of words that I can't say.
What a sweet boy :( WTH is wrong with people?

During police questioning, Flournoy said Melvin described a verbal argument he had gotten into with Sierra in July 2011 and left the home. When he returned 3 weeks later, Dontrell was gone, he told police. Melvin told police that “Sierra asked him not to ask him about the whereabouts of the child,” said Flournoy.

I got confused with this video. So, Dontrell's parents are actually no longer together and she was living with her mother? Who actually also just had CPS called on her? The second tip that was called in - was that over the grandmother or Dontrell's mother - the one about smoking pot in front of the kids, cursing them all the time, and having guys over all the time and having sex?

Man accused in missing child case wants charges dropped\

On Wednesday, his defense attorney filed a motion to reduce the three counts of providing false information to a law enforcement officer from third-degree felonies to first-degree misdemeanors, which would have lowered his $151,000 bond.

The judge denied the motion.

Melvin's defense attorney also filed a second motion to dismiss those three charges. The judge scheduled a hearing for March 22 regarding the motion.

snipped

Those remains were sent to the University of Texas, where DNA tests results are expected back in two to three weeks.

http://www.local10.com/news/Man-acc...pped/-/1717324/19105104/-/e0xumq/-/index.html

That's a curious bond amount, isn't it? Must be something like above or below 150k is one charge and he wanted it to be above 150k to make a statement.... certain types of crimes can be above? Or something like that ,.

And that, says attorney Ed Hoeg, who is representing the baby’s father, could have an impact on the case against his client.

“If evidence is compromised, it could change how the case goes,” Hoeg said. “You would hope the evidence would be in pristine condition.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/...-dad-of-missing-hallandale.html#storylink=cpy

Well, sheesh, if they hoped the evidence would be in pristine condition they wouldn't have buried him in their backyard and left him there for 18 months.

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter what the bones look like. If it wasn't a murder they wouldn't have disposed of him like this.

I really hope that child neglect charges against the "mother" do not get dropped. Baby Dontrell deserves justice!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benjysmom
Back