FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Did the state prove that the defendant was not acting in self-defense when she shot and killed Douglas Benefield? moo
Interesting question. IANAL yet I don’t think the state would need to prove that theory. They need only prove what actions by the defendant resulted in the death of the victim? The defense would need perhaps to present their evidence to either counter the state’s position or put forth their evidence and theory for their client. MOO

Did the jury hear about her allegations of abuse and sexual abuse?

Good grief. AB seems to be much like Lori Vallow Daybell. Both using their looks to charm men and get what they want. If you followed Lori's case, we saw that Charles kept reconciling with her, even after abuse allegations by Lori.

And not to excuse DB's actions but narcissists really know how to push the buttons to make the other party look like the crazy one (though DB does come across as obsessed).

Did the jury hear about her allegations of abuse and sexual abuse?

As far as I know, those issues weren't addressed in much detail because there was no basis in fact of any of her allegations. Her lies are non issues. All I have seen so far is a very conniving woman trying to make an obsessed man look really bad.Who doesn't even tell their legal husband when their child is born and does her best to not even let him see his daughter that she didn't even give his name to. As I mentioned before, so much of the goings on between these two has been suppressed that it is hard to actually follow this case and know about all the false allegations that went nowhere.

IMO Defense counsel sure is denigrating and impugning the witness Ms. Murphy in his arguments about the supposed discovery violation they are alleged to have committed? And IIUC accusing her of perjury? Is this possibly conflating the issues perhaps? MOO

As far as I know, those issues weren't addressed in much detail because there was no basis in fact of any of her allegations. Her lies are non issues. All I have seen so far is a very conniving woman trying to make an obsessed man look really bad.Who doesn't even tell their legal husband when their child is born and does her best to not even let him see his daughter that she didn't even give his name to. As I mentioned before, so much of the goings on between these two has been suppressed that it is hard to actually follow this case and know about all the false allegations that went nowhere.
That’s what I thought -
She really doesn’t have a defense…

That’s what I thought -
She really doesn’t have a defense…
No defense in my view. The three locks on the weapon she shot him with and then the other two loaded guns hidden in different places in the house and the mother and baby being gone make me believe she planned to eliminate him when he came to help her pack up the van. Then with AB's mother having the attorney ready to talk with the LE transporting AB to be interviewed right after the shooting really struck me wrong.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back