FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think she is a faker and a liar: that said, women on the stand telling their story of domestic violence (true or not true), with tears, and a demure presentation often get away with murder-- the case could go either way but I would not be surprised if she is acquitted.
I daresay she is! But my point really was that this cross examination, for the most part, reminded me more of a defense attorney cross examining a DV complainant rather than a prosecuting attorney cross examining a murder defendant. As a comparison, I've provided a link (which I won't blame anyone for not bothering to read as it's a transcript of a whole day in court) from famous former football(*) player Ryan Giggs' DV trial where his accuser is cross examined.

Things like, when she was shown pictures of her wedding day and asked 'but you look so happy, when you claimed you were in a living hell.' Yeah it doesn't work like that in complex abusive relationships there are good days and bad days!

JMO

(*) or "soccer" as most of you probably prefer to call the sport

Looks like DB wasn't tailassing behind AB because she had enough time to get into her bedroom and remove her gun from a storage bin.

For starters why didn't she lock the door behind her, assuming it had a lock?

Was the layout of the house ever shown?
Maybe there was another exit besides the door that AB claims that DB had blocked?

Yes layout was shown. To the left there was a garage and you could enter the house through the laundry room from the garage, down a hall from that were AB's and her daughter's bedrooms. To the right was the main living area and front door. So def 2 entrances to the house. Probably a back patio slider, as well.

I’m a bit behind on the feed. The defense has some nerve trying to introduce that former ADA’s testimony. And I’m now at Amy Carlton and I don’t even know what the heck she’s talking about. It feels like they just pulled someone off the street. JMO

I’m a bit behind on the feed. The defense has some nerve trying to introduce that former ADA’s testimony. And I’m now at Amy Carlton and I don’t even know what the heck she’s talking about. It feels like they just pulled someone off the street. JMO

The poor hard of hearing woman seemed to still be suffering and worried about her dog from hearing gunshots. JMOO

I have to say it makes me sick that these manipulative/calculating guilty defendant’s are taking advantage of a very important law/victory for abused women ——‘battered woman defense.’ What makes me even sicker is that these so-called experts come in and provide cover for guilty women who simply do not qualify under the ‘battered woman’ definition. It makes a mockery of the whole thing. It makes it seem like a get outta jail free card for bratty women!

JMO

Did the state prove the defendant was not justified in killing Douglas Benefield?
If the jury feels the state did not prove their case against the defendant — they must acquit.

The defendant’s earlier testimony(only a few) which stood out as typical DV behavior:
-- Defendant apologized for the abuser’s behavior
-- Defendant blamed herself - explained walked on eggshells
-- Defends the abuser

Photos mean nothing - - people hide behind their smiles, they hid behind their closed doors.
No one really knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Prosecutor case is weak
Defendant stood firm while on cross by the Prosecutor (posting this comment early, crossing is still happening)

What is missing, maybe I missed the evidence:
Evidence of DB abuse toward (dog & cat) animals

Noticed: The defendant’s demeanor different depending on whether jury present or not.

On a side note: Feel bad for EB, for the loss of both of her parents. Hope she has much love and support in her life.

Finally prosecutor is bringing up the night DB was killed.

All just a matter of opinion.
BBM for the point I think we are both trying to make.

That cross examination was about 1 hour 30 minutes long in total. And out of that we got:

- 1 hour 10 minutes cross examination of a DV complainant
- 10 minutes cross examination of a murder defendant
- 10 minutes break for the witness to recover from a (real or fake) meltdown on the stand

JMO

I have to say it makes me sick that these manipulative/calculating guilty defendant’s are taking advantage of a very important law/victory for abused women ——‘battered woman defense.’ What makes me even sicker is that these so-called experts come in and provide cover for guilty women who simply do not qualify under the ‘battered woman’ definition. It makes a mockery of the whole thing. It makes it seem like a get outta jail free card for bratty women!

JMO
I agree with you: it is pretty disgusting---

Looks like DB wasn't tailassing behind AB because she had enough time to get into her bedroom and remove her gun from a storage bin.

For starters why didn't she lock the door behind her, assuming it had a lock?

Was the layout of the house ever shown?
Maybe there was another exit besides the door that AB claims that DB had blocked?
Respectfully and just imho:
Personally, if I was in a panic and fear of my life I probably wouldn't lock the door either. I'd get to my weapon to secure myself. It isn't a horror movie where one has no defense and locks the door to keep the bad guy out. The fact that he couldn't catch up to her, idk.

I had to turn it off.
This is like when you work a 9 to 5 office job and someone calls at 4:55PM on a Friday to have a conversation they know full well is going to last a considerable amount of time and probably annoy the hell out of whoever has to deal with your nonsense, but they do it anyway. I think there should be a special place in hell for people who inflict this sort of first world pain on people!

JMO

I had to turn it off.
IMO:
According to him just about everyone,female and male, who's been in a relationship could somehow fall under his guideline of being with a domestic abuser.

Question for all.
Did AB ever call LE at the time when DB shot a hole in the ceiling,knocked the dog unconscious or threw his gun at her and missed?

Or do they get a pass according to Ferris because they're afraid?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back