FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I will be very interested to see what kind of questions the jurors come back to court with once they begin deliberating (assuming they don't just reach a unanimous verdict almost immediately, of course). Both sides (State & Defense) have put a lot of emphasis on the events before the shooting, rather than the shooting itself so they might feel a need to reach definite conclusions regarding who did what on that front before deciding?

JMO

The law says a woman or man has to be in imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury to justify killing someone. I think all this psycho babble is meant to justify a hysterical woman who involved herself with a hysterical man and together they had a volatile, immature relationship. He was never physically abusive towards her by her own testimony. She’s guilty.

JMO

Observations by this guy that just testified. Doug is Domineering, controlling, wanted marriage to work,they had plans to move to MD. Doug is an Alpha male. Ashley stated she was scared. Was Doug godly, over the top godly but didn't think it was genuine. Due to Ashley's false accusations wonder why DB wanted to continue relationship. Odd that DB waited in lobby for an hour while his daughter was outside in car with AB.Only saw him at beginning and end of hour so DB could have left and returned. A WHOLE BUNCH OF NOTHING. JMOO

Ohhhh Dr. Quintal said Doug’s Godliness was disingenuous! I have to agree there. He also said he fit the stereotype of an “Alpha male” ——- I have to strongly disagree. Doug seemed to have no control over his emotions - that is the opposite of Alpha male to me. The term seems to be used nowadays to describe a gym bro who acts tough! Puhlease!

He said Doug was controlling and seemed determined to make it work with AB despite all the disparaging things she said about him. AB told him that she was scared of Doug. Again, I think she’s setting Doug up by creating a record all over the place that she was “abused.” I’m not buying it!

JMO

I think she leans towards histrionic personality disorder -
Obviously, he was abusive, manipulative, intimidating, controlling -
In her head, it was perfectly REASONABLE to leap to the worst possible conclusions.

Given his KNOWN history of violent propensity - I’m now leaning towards NOT GUILTY

A woman shouldn’t have to be beaten before defending herself.

"In her head"?
No, she knew damn well what she was doing.

By her filing those charges against DB she knew that his visitation would be immediately stopped until an investigation takes place.

There's nothing more heinous then the sexual/physical abuse of a child and to make these false accusations because you want sole custody of your child shows just how despicable you are.

There is NO evidence presented that AB was beaten by DB.

Ohhhh Dr. Quintal said Doug’s Godliness was disingenuous! I have to agree there. He also said he fit the stereotype of an “Alpha male” ——- I have to strongly disagree. Doug seemed to have no control over his emotions - that is the opposite of Alpha male to me. The term seems to be used nowadays to describe a gym bro who acts tough! Puhlease!

He said Doug was controlling and seemed determined to make it work with AB despite all the disparaging things she said about him. AB told him that she was scared of Doug. Again, I think she’s setting Doug up by creating a record all over the place that she was “abused.” I’m not buying it!

JMO
For what it's worth both were Evangelicals and DB did not believe in divorce.

Interesting that AB took a drastic turn in her feelings about DB once she moved home with mommy, isn't it? All of a sudden she now wants nothing to do with DB, they both go back up to Charleston and move her things out while he is elsewhere and she leaves him a note. Then she goes to LE in Charleston to get a restraining order but can't get one specifically against Doug so she goes for the mutual no contact version.

All the rest of the shenanigans she did with the child abuse claims - I see her mother's hand in all of this. NO DOUBT IN MY MIND.

We’re in the defense case now so we’re in the major derailment portion of the trial but I hope state brings this back to earth on rebuttal and closing argument. What matters most is was she in reasonable fear for her life when she shot him! By her own words he had never physically harmed her prior to that day. And all of a sudden he was body checking her and hitting her with boxes and taking a warrior stance with her on that day??? It would be laughable if it wasn’t so pathetic.

JMO

"In her head"?
No, she knew damn well what she was doing.

By her filing those charges against DB she knew that his visitation would be immediately stopped until an investigation takes place.

There's nothing more heinous then the sexual/physical abuse of a child and to make these false accusations because you want sole custody of your child shows just how despicable you are.

There is NO evidence presented that AB was beaten by DB.
I do not believe she claimed she was badly beaten.
I don’t believe someone needs to be beaten before lethal force is justified

I’m not claiming she’s INNOCENT -
I’m staying thus far, the prosecution is FAILING to prove it’s case.

Defense has a ballistic expert and another doctor coming in this afternoon. Good lawd! I’m behind on the feed so just seeing the discussion of the afternoon plans. Defense will be done today it sounds like. JMO

Just showing evangelical AB, not believing in divorce, got one too. Doubt they believe in murder as well, but she did one of those as well. JMOO

No need to show me anything.

I trust my own judgement.

I do not believe she claimed she was badly beaten.
I don’t believe someone needs to be beaten before lethal force is justified

I’m not claiming she’s INNOCENT -
I’m staying thus far, the prosecution is FAILING to prove it’s case.
Linda7NJ said:

Given his KNOWN history of violent propensity - I’m now leaning towards NOT GUILTY

A woman shouldn’t have to be beaten before defending herself.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back